Review: SD2 - March 6 to 15, 2009

DisneyJen

Thanks for the great review DJ!!! What better way to spend the time after packing for our first SeaDream adventure!!! Your pictures and descriptions are inviting. We leave tomorrow morning for Miami (Denver's expecting 8-16" of snow starting tomorrow morning!!), then to St. Thomas on Friday for 2 nights at a B&B before boarding SD1 on Sunday. A short 5 day SeaDream adventure & I know we'll be hooked.

Ciao for now!!

Cruiserdoc

Aurora, Colorado

DJ:

You are writing the all time best review. Our version of Margaret Mitchell. You make SeaDream sound better than the SeaDream website does. I have thoroughly enjoyed the trip so far. I am happy to read that the service is back where it was and, so far, the only "issues" seem to have been with the weather. Can't do much about that. Ready now for Saturday.

Thanks for the great review DJ!!! What better way to spend the time after packing for our first SeaDream adventure!!! Your pictures and descriptions are inviting. We leave tomorrow morning for Miami (Denver's expecting 8-16" of snow starting tomorrow morning!!), then to St. Thomas on Friday for 2 nights at a B&B before boarding SD1 on Sunday. A short 5 day SeaDream adventure & I know we'll be hooked.

Ciao for now!!

Cruiserdoc

Aurora, Colorado

Hope you are well on your way CruiserDoc!

I know you will have a wonderful cruise.

DJ:

You are writing the all time best review. Our version of Margaret Mitchell. You make SeaDream sound better than the SeaDream website does. I have thoroughly enjoyed the trip so far. I am happy to read that the service is back where it was and, so far, the only "issues" seem to have been with the weather. Can't do much about that. Ready now for Saturday.

Thanks Jim:p

Working on Saturday now!

The attached link is to my flikr page where I am uploading pictures from the voyage. I am up through Friday (saturday's are still on the camera).

Enjoy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8259823@N06/

Thanks for the photos zqvol! Glad to see so many island shots ... felt like I was there:D

Always glad to see the shots of the SD ships. I am wearing my new SD sweatshirt today to stay in the right frame of mind.

Hello DisneyJen and DJ's DH.

Great review and pics DJ, I have enjoyed the posts during the cruise and the review afterwards as well. I only wished I had been there to celebrate the 25 years you two have been married. Sounded like a great time was had by all.

Your photos were terrific as well. The ship looks well maintained and the food must have been as special as ever.

Was the weather as bad as last March or about the same.

Unfortunately work this year has precluded all travel:mad: until latter part of the year and then one trip planned.

Thanks again for all the hard work, made me feel that I was almost there, except for the cold weather, the special crew, being waited on, sleeping late, bar staff, yeah almost there.:p

Taylor

Greetings Taylor!

DJ's DH and I thought of you and C a couple of times during our cruise. We said you would have enjoyed this group of passengers. As a matter of fact, the people who were in the cabin next door to ours included a chef from Belgium ... and last year we were next to a chef from the US:D

The weather was very similar ... although it was a much calmer ride as Capt. T did an excellent job of making itinerary changes to keep us comfortable.

No wild ride/run from St. Martin to Tortola this year.

Sounds like you are keeping busy ... which is a good!

ZQVOL:

Great pictures. Brought back many good memories. We are scheming for our next booking and will probably do something in the Caribbean this fall. Pictures help with the long delay between trips. Tell FT a belated Happy Birthday from us. 50 is not old---for a tree.

J.

JEN...

Great job. You're review got me very excited and inspired for a cruise we just booked on Sea Dream 1 from 7/4-11. It is in the Mediterranean and first time ever overseas for the wife and I. We are going with my folks and our 20 yr. old daughter. Seeing the Anniversary thing inspired me. In December, it will be the wife's and I 25th Ann. but even more impressive, in August will be my folks 50th! So do they or can they do some special presentation and do I need to arrange way ahead of time with Sea Dream?

Thanks for the photos zqvol! Glad to see so many island shots ... felt like I was there:D

Always glad to see the shots of the SD ships. I am wearing my new SD sweatshirt today to stay in the right frame of mind.

I have many more of your special day, and our group but until I have FT approval I will not post those. If my brain can unfreeze I will get your stuff on a DVD for you, a lot of them are very good, well at least I think so.

ZQVOL:

Great pictures. Brought back many good memories. We are scheming for our next booking and will probably do something in the Caribbean this fall. Pictures help with the long delay between trips. Tell FT a belated Happy Birthday from us. 50 is not old---for a tree.

J.

I would be careful about numbers she might come haunt you.

DJ:

can you believe she does this all for the love of SD? No special perks, no kick-backs, no addtional discounts, etc. . . . she's going to drive demand up even more (not good for the wallet)!!

FT

In December, it will be the wife's and I 25th Ann. but even more impressive, in August will be my folks 50th! So do they or can they do some special presentation and do I need to arrange way ahead of time with Sea Dream?

There was a flurry of activity the last couple of weeks before we sailed. I had worked on the dinner menu much earlier just because I happened to be on board with the wonderful Stephane (the Hotel Manager) who would handled the reception and Mary (Activities Director) who handle the music (who knows what else they handled, but it was done so smoothly, we never saw). Changes were made to the renewal vows and music almost at the last minute and the ceremony's location changed at least a couple of times due to weather and wind. If you have special music you'd like the guitarist to play, the sooner you can get the sheet music to SD the better. Or you can bring an Ipod with a playlist. Special flowers can be request. Susanne Benroth at SD in Miami can help. There is a vow renewal package that includes invitations, flowers and champagne and the reception goodies . . . . these guys are flexible, fast,detail oriented and fun to work with.

FT

Thanks Jen and all the others who provided me with insight about what we will be experiencing soon - and the pics have been so helpful as well as beautiful. I feel almost prepared (and super excited) to embark on our wonderful (but sadly only 5 day) adventure.

PS I am sure I will have more questions as the date approaches and I know I can count on this group at CC to answer them!

I would just like to have a nice "surprise" presentation and toast during dinner and maybe special dessert or something. One of the first things the wife and I did when we first started dating was go to a Billy Idol concert. Some how I don't think our fellow Sea Dreamers would like to hear "White Wedding" during dinner....

On a COMPLETELY different note...the last Sea Dream cruise we went on to the Caribbean, I was dissappointed in their beer selection (I'm a home Brewer and beer snob). Anyone know if the longer cruises are better especially the ones in Europe?

I would just like to have a nice "surprise" presentation and toast during dinner and maybe special dessert or something. One of the first things the wife and I did when we first started dating was go to a Billy Idol concert. Some how I don't think our fellow Sea Dreamers would like to hear "White Wedding" during dinner....

On a COMPLETELY different note...the last Sea Dream cruise we went on to the Caribbean, I was dissappointed in their beer selection (I'm a home Brewer and beer snob). Anyone know if the longer cruises are better especially the ones in Europe?

I like my beer as well. In the Med, there were more Euro beers on board. It is my experience that if you ask someone in the Miami office a little in advance of your trip for a special request, they will try to honor it. Give them several favorite brands and I bet you will see some on board.

JEN...

Great job. You're review got me very excited and inspired for a cruise we just booked on Sea Dream 1 from 7/4-11. It is in the Mediterranean and first time ever overseas for the wife and I. We are going with my folks and our 20 yr. old daughter. Seeing the Anniversary thing inspired me. In December, it will be the wife's and I 25th Ann. but even more impressive, in August will be my folks 50th! So do they or can they do some special presentation and do I need to arrange way ahead of time with Sea Dream?

Congratulations to you and your wife!! Seems like 1984 was a very popular year to marry ... and most of us stayed marry:D

FT and DJ's DH (my DH) arranged the vow renewal/reception piece while I worked with FT's DH (zqvol) on the milestone birthday piece.

FT has given you the contact info below:D

There was a flurry of activity the last couple of weeks before we sailed. I had worked on the dinner menu much earlier just because I happened to be on board with the wonderful Stephane (the Hotel Manager) who would handled the reception and Mary (Activities Director) who handle the music (who knows what else they handled, but it was done so smoothly, we never saw). Changes were made to the renewal vows and music almost at the last minute and the ceremony's location changed at least a couple of times due to weather and wind. If you have special music you'd like the guitarist to play, the sooner you can get the sheet music to SD the better. Or you can bring an Ipod with a playlist. Special flowers can be request. Susanne Benroth at SD in Miami can help. There is a vow renewal package that includes invitations, flowers and champagne and the reception goodies . . . . these guys are flexible, fast,detail oriented and fun to work with.

FT

FT is right on all accounts. I worked with them as well on the birthday cake and decorations as well as the wonderful CAD Mary and HM Stephane who were on board during our sailing.

You never know ... the CAD might arrange a special viewing of the concert in the Main Salon for you one evening ... I'd bring the DVD along:D

Not a beer drinker ... but I suspect my friend Jim knows of what he speaks:p

I have many more of your special day, and our group but until I have FT approval I will not post those. If my brain can unfreeze I will get your stuff on a DVD for you, a lot of them are very good, well at least I think so.

Looking forward to seeing the rest ... I really would like to see the proposal since I was in shock from the first second I realized what was happening:p

Sounds like an excuse for the four of us to get together for dinner!

can you believe she does this all for the love of SD? No special perks, no kick-backs, no addtional discounts, etc. . . . she's going to drive demand up even more (not good for the wallet)!!

FT

FT is exactly right ... I write these reviews because I LOVE the experiences we have had on SD!

I really do feel like the crew and staff become extended members of our family ... although I am sure there are a few who run the other way when they see my name on the manifest:p (I am waving to all of you at sea and in Miami who are reading this;))

Thanks Jen and all the others who provided me with insight about what we will be experiencing soon - and the pics have been so helpful as well as beautiful. I feel almost prepared (and super excited) to embark on our wonderful (but sadly only 5 day) adventure.

PS I am sure I will have more questions as the date approaches and I know I can count on this group at CC to answer them!

You'll find that we are a very small and friendly group in this corner of Cruise Critic so please ask away.

I am glad that I have been able to help excite you about your upcoming SD experience!

Looking forward to seeing the rest ... I really would like to see the proposal since I was in shock from the first second I realized what was happening:p

Sounds like an excuse for the four of us to get together for dinner!

Someone is chasing a cowboy this weekend and I am watching cars go round and round. I did add a new folder just for you that I will remove if requested, well maybe not . . . :D:D:D

Someone is chasing a cowboy this weekend and I am watching cars go round and round. I did add a new folder just for you that I will remove if requested, well maybe not . . . :D:D:D

You guys are having all the fun ... our excitement has to do with installation of a new HVAC on Monday and Tuesday:rolleyes:

So are you saying I need to head over to Flickr now?

You guys are having all the fun ... our excitement has to do with installation of a new HVAC on Monday and Tuesday:rolleyes:

So are you saying I need to head over to Flickr now?

That would be a good idea. BTW if the three of you want to join DS and myself for dinner sat give me a call or e-mail tomorrow. I'm in CLT tonight

Just checked out the folder ... and it is great. I am hoping that the DVD version will have full length of the proposal and ceremony:D

That would be a good idea. BTW if the three of you want to join DS and myself for dinner sat give me a call or e-mail tomorrow. I'm in CLT tonight

Will email you tomorrow to catch up about dinner... I'll have to let Peter know how many will be joining us:p

FT

OK, so now she's got a real identity crisis...she's thinking of petitioning the courts to change her name from DisneyJen to SDJen...:eek:

Yet on June 10th, 2009, we celebrate the true 25th anniversary of our wedding....in the location proclaimed "the happiest place in the world".

Now here's my dilemma... If you like to get up early, go all day long full steam ahead (as those on DIS boards say "commando"), ending way after midnight and doing it all over again...then that is a great vacation.

For me, that used to be fun:). But I have to admit I have gotten a bit older, and my idea of a great vacation has little to do with "commando" mode, and more to do with "how many books did you read this week?" (or islands visited, etc...)

OK, so on this 9-day cruise , I only finished 3 novels (I have yours waiting for you Dr. jbcjtc) which is WAY below my record of 7 a few years ago...However, this was a special occasion for us, with friends, staff and crew and cc'ers, etc. so I can justify the reduced productivity.

DJ wants to invest in more timeshare with the MOUSE, and I'm thinking "um...NO!". When I get home from that vacation, I need one... When I get home from a SD vacation...all I want is to go back (Lord we wish the charter after us was cancelled):D

DJ is standing next to me (crying:() working hard on Saturday's post...

Will email you tomorrow to catch up about dinner... I'll have to let Peter know how many will be joining us:p

By my calculations Peter is on his way back to joining SDII, this time in his capacity as Hotel Manager -- congrats on the promotion, its very well deserved (wonder if we'll see him on the fall crossing?) and Mary is off to St. Louis - hopes she's recovering from all the stress we put her through . . . and the rest of the crew is resting up for CTJBR's next visit . . . hope the Red Stripe will hold up for his upcoming week aboard! I'm getting ready to wander down the hall to the office microwave to heat up a frozen dinner -- wish it was the fresh mussels and perhaps the carrot or spicy shrimp soup . . . oh Gary, where is the lunch menu please?

FT

Archived