Norwegian Epic Studios: Too Tiny or Super Chic?

What do you think of Epic's Studio cabins (choose all that apply)?  

1,121 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Epic's Studio cabins (choose all that apply)?

• Tiny room, communal living space -- I'll go back to college for that!
    • The studios really do look cool, but I definitely need more space.
    • Love it! Small room = big savings. (It's just a place to sleep after all.)
    • I like the idea of meeting other travelers in the shared living space.
    • I dislike the idea of having to share my living space with others.
    • I don't get it. Why do people who pay the least get concierge service?
    • I have another opinion (which I'll post)

So no one eats in the included restaurant because of the long lines ?

Do you see the issue in that idea.

Of course they do. But enough people don't that NCL makes a nice profit on the extra tariff ones. I had a friend who got back from an NCL cruise a few months back. She said that after the second night, her husband said they were eating in specialty restaurants for the rest of the cruise. That was after they "invested" three hours one evening for dinner ... and even then left the table not entirely satisfied.

Sure people will eat in the standard restaurants. There will always be people who do ... especially those traveling with a lot of kids, etc., where the extra tariffs could get prohibitive. But enough people will switch over to the other venues onboard to make their existence quite profitable.

But then, if you think about it, isn't that the whole point of "freestyle?" To try different things each night. Personally, to be honest, if I were a big wig at NCL, I'd be pushing to eliminate ALL free restaurants onboard with the possible exception of the buffet venue. Then I'd tout my lower fares and tell people that the reason those fares are lower is because of the whole NCL Freestyle concept ... to have lots of venues in which to eat so that people could try different things every night. People should actually budget so much of their cruising budget on an NCL cruise for dining. Otherwise, if they were gonna restrict themselves entirely to one or two free restaurants every night ... restaurants that serve very standard fare ... then they are not truly taking advantage of the "freestyle" concept and probably should be on another cruise line.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Oh, I agree with you. I definitely see a viable purpose for these small rooms. A family traveling together with a couple of kids. Put the teen in one of these to let everyone else have a bit of breathing room in the main cabin. Also, as noted before, they are great for singles. If you don't like the idea of a "communal" living room, you certainly don't have to use it. I think the main purpose of it is for the concierge services anyway. Other than that, what would be the point? If I want to curl up somewhere with a good book, wouldn't a bar or lounge be a better place? At least there I could get a drink if I wanted to.

As for the restaurants and the charges ... LOL, trust me ... if the restaurant is any good, there will be an extra charge. That's the whole NCL way. I think they depend on those service charges to make a decent profit on their sailings. The only restaurants that won't have charges will probably be the buffet and one or two "standard" restaurants onboard, and these will offer the same menu items day in and day out, and will have long lines of people waiting to get in. So, if you don't mind standing in line for an hour or more waiting to be seated, not to mention how long the meal will take since they are so busy, then fine ... eat at the free restaurants. But if you have other things you want to do with your night ... and can't afford to make dinner the main event ... then you're pretty much not gonna have any choice but to suck it up and pay the service charge. And, NCL is counting on most people doing that. After all, a family of four, say a $20 per head service charge, multiplied by multiple nights of the cruise ... that's a nice chunk of change for NCL. So, they're not going to give that up in order to have more free restaurants. It just doesn't make sense.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita, Could I ask you which NCL ship you last sailed on and how long ago it was? The reason that I ask is that you don't have any NCL cruises listed in your signature, so I'm wondering if maybe it was a long time ago and things have changed a lot since you last sailed them.

Most of the things that you stated as being a problem on NCL(bad food, bad service, long lines), I've never encountered. Of course, I just started sailing on NCL last year, so I'm really not that familiar with them on a long term basis.

CG

Oh, I agree with you. I definitely see a viable purpose for these small rooms. A family traveling together with a couple of kids. Put the teen in one of these to let everyone else have a bit of breathing room in the main cabin. Also, as noted before, they are great for singles. If you don't like the idea of a "communal" living room, you certainly don't have to use it. I think the main purpose of it is for the concierge services anyway. Other than that, what would be the point? If I want to curl up somewhere with a good book, wouldn't a bar or lounge be a better place? At least there I could get a drink if I wanted to.

As for the restaurants and the charges ... LOL, trust me ... if the restaurant is any good, there will be an extra charge. That's the whole NCL way. I think they depend on those service charges to make a decent profit on their sailings. The only restaurants that won't have charges will probably be the buffet and one or two "standard" restaurants onboard, and these will offer the same menu items day in and day out, and will have long lines of people waiting to get in. So, if you don't mind standing in line for an hour or more waiting to be seated, not to mention how long the meal will take since they are so busy, then fine ... eat at the free restaurants. But if you have other things you want to do with your night ... and can't afford to make dinner the main event ... then you're pretty much not gonna have any choice but to suck it up and pay the service charge. And, NCL is counting on most people doing that. After all, a family of four, say a $20 per head service charge, multiplied by multiple nights of the cruise ... that's a nice chunk of change for NCL. So, they're not going to give that up in order to have more free restaurants. It just doesn't make sense.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I love the specialty restaurants, but I have also cruised without ever entering one when I was penny pinching. I see no reason to believe that won't still be an option. I go to the MDR, have a lovely meal, and still make it to the show so I can't say I made it the focus of my entire evening.

But I agree about the studios - good idea about the teenager!

Sounds like a Yogism..."it's so crowded that nobody goes there anymore"
Of course people go there. That's why it's so crowded. But enough people won't to keep the other restaurants onboard doing a booming business.

I guess it all depends on what you have to do that night. If you promised the kids to take them to a movie, and the movie is starting in an hour and you know you'll never even be seated in an hour, then you are likely to head to another restaurant ... a restaurant where you have to pay an extra tariff. But if you've got your whole night before you, with nothing in particular to do, then maybe you'd be more likely to just hang around and wait your turn to dine in the free restaurant, even if it may take a couple of hours to finish with the meal.

I guess a good example of this is the experience my dad and I had tonight. There is a diner near our house that was offering a 50% off deal ... only for four Wednesdays ... only on regular meals ... no early bird, no specials, etc. Dad likes a deal and wanted to go. I knew this wasn't gonna work but figured let him see for himself. We get there ... and run into problems before we even get into the place. The parking lot is packed. We had to drive around for a good half hour, waiting for someone to pull out ... and then fight with a couple of other people for that parking space. Then we get into the restaurant. The lobby is absolutely mobbed. No exaggeration, there must have been well over 100 people standing around, and that didn't include the people inside the restuarant who were waiting to be seated. Easily there were another 100 in there. So, I turned around to dad. What do you want to do? He said "let's get the h*ll out of here." Clearly we would have been lucky to get out of the place in three hours ... probably a lot more.

So, yes, obviously because it was so crowded, there were people willing to wait ... lots of them. But there were enough people walking out, just as we did, too. And that's exactly how it is on the NCL ships.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Of course people go there. That's why it's so crowded. But enough people won't to keep the other restaurants onboard doing a booming business.

I guess it all depends on what you have to do that night. If you promised the kids to take them to a movie, and the movie is starting in an hour and you know you'll never even be seated in an hour, then you are likely to head to another restaurant ... a restaurant where you have to pay an extra tariff. But if you've got your whole night before you, with nothing in particular to do, then maybe you'd be more likely to just hang around and wait your turn to dine in the free restaurant, even if it may take a couple of hours to finish with the meal.

I guess a good example of this is the experience my dad and I had tonight. There is a diner near our house that was offering a 50% off deal ... only for four Wednesdays ... only on regular meals ... no early bird, no specials, etc. Dad likes a deal and wanted to go. I knew this wasn't gonna work but figured let him see for himself. We get there ... and run into problems before we even get into the place. The parking lot is packed. We had to drive around for a good half hour, waiting for someone to pull out ... and then fight with a couple of other people for that parking space. Then we get into the restaurant. The lobby is absolutely mobbed. No exaggeration, there must have been well over 100 people standing around, and that didn't include the people inside the restuarant who were waiting to be seated. Easily there were another 100 in there. So, I turned around to dad. What do you want to do? He said "let's get the h*ll out of here." Clearly we would have been lucky to get out of the place in three hours ... probably a lot more.

So, yes, obviously because it was so crowded, there were people willing to wait ... lots of them. But there were enough people walking out, just as we did, too. And that's exactly how it is on the NCL ships.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Well I wast just on the Jade last month for 9 nights.

I ate for 8 nights in included dining rooms.

Only one night I wasn't seated immediately. I had a 15-20 minute wait , but this was just after a show let out so not that surprising.

7 nights I just walked up , and straight to a table.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I know it must happen because people report it here on these boards, but I have never waited more than 10 minutes, and THAT was unusual, so you really can't say "that's exactly how it is" - you can that is what you experienced, but it is not the norm.

How fresh is that data --are you certain that NCL has not reduced the cruise size on the Dawn and the Dream--- i think they have ( a money thing).

Big Green

The data for the Gem is from NCL newly issued literature. The data for the Dream/Dawn come from other sources BUT I know of no cutback in the shipboard staff-yes there were some land layoffs but there have been no reported ship board crew cut backs.

One more thing I think these rooms would make for a great swingers weekend....different room and roommate every night...who cares what size the room is....size isn't important :)

Sounds like a Yogism..."it's so crowded that nobody goes there anymore"

--rita

I gather you're not familiar with Yogi & his isms. ;)

BTW- I don't think we've ever waited more than 5 minutes or so to be seated. Maybe we're just freaky lucky, but for us your experience isn't 'exactly how it is on the NCL ships'

BTW while I was kidding Laura posted some more pictures(renderings really)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=817

look at the picture of the living room. The people pictured are unusually young even for a commercial. The couple on the left are standing closer than most people do. there are three at a table(2 women and one guy) and someone who is walking upstairs clearly struck out...there is another couple closely talking on the upper deck....

I am sitting all the way in the back(this photo is the fourth down) The studio is below that on the right.

I will bet the crew calls the studios...Animal house...

How can you have a Poll and the results total over 140%.

Makes very little sense!

its multiple choice so it adds up to more than 100% just like most ships sail at more than 100% full(of lower berths true full is about 125% of lower berths)

More than one option or not, still not correct. 36% of what? 18% of what. Need to drop the % sign and make it a straight chart/graph.

Ships travel at 100+% of posted Capacity. When something is full, it is full. Try filling a glass to 120% of "full".

Grab a paper towel first though:-)

Back to looking at the deck plans... There are 128 studio cabins with a maximum capacity of 256 people. If the deck plans are to scale the two story living room is about the size of 10 studio cabins or 1,000 ft.

So if the studios are at max capacity and everyone goes to living room at the same time everyone gets about 4 square feet. You better be one of those skinny models in the pictures, because size does matter. :rolleyes:

I would only consider if I was traveling solo, which I almost never do now because of the 200% cost, and it was priced as a single! I'm still unsure what the price would be?? :confused:

As far as the ship is concerned, I think its lines are pretty ugly. The inside looked pretty nice, but very contemporary and modern. Would probably appeal to the 20-30 something generation and as one poster mentioned, spring breakers.

I also think the problems that come with very large ships will only magnify on one this size and with so few crew members. I will hold judgement, however, until it sails and read the reviews. That said, I would never consider being on its maiden voyage. :eek:

DT

I'll admit. If it's the only cabin I could afford, I'd be happy in there. I love the Epic's concept and I really like the idea of the shared area.

I voted for the "they look cool, but I need more space," option, but that's because I don't know the fares yet.

I/we sailed in Majesty's 108 sq. ft. cabin with no complaints, so, although I can't imagine anything smaller than that, I think we'd manage.

My friend, that is exactly how NCL makes their money. They offer lower price points for their cruises, but then nickle and dime you to death once you get onboard. By week's end, by the time you've paid for so many specialty restaurant dinners ... because the included restaurants generally have long lines and sub-standard food and service ... and paid the high drink prices and for just about everything else in between ... NCL has "gotcha!" You've wound up paying just as much for your cruise and your friends did who just returned from their Princess or HAL cruise. And guess what? They probably had a much nicer cruise than you did.

Joke's on you.

The only way I would even consider one of these cabins would be if there was a zero ... zilch, nada, zip ... single supplement on them ... but somehow I don't think that's gonna be the case at all.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thank you Rita.

I see from your past cruises you have vast extensive experience on NCL. :rolleyes: How often did you find that you had to eat in a specialty restaurant or experience sub-standard food and service? What was the longest you had to wait for dinner ?What was your average onboard charges that erased the great fare you got :confused:

Thanks for the clouds.

Archived