Norwegian Epic Studios: Too Tiny or Super Chic?

What do you think of Epic's Studio cabins (choose all that apply)?  

1,121 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Epic's Studio cabins (choose all that apply)?

• Tiny room, communal living space -- I'll go back to college for that!
    • The studios really do look cool, but I definitely need more space.
    • Love it! Small room = big savings. (It's just a place to sleep after all.)
    • I like the idea of meeting other travelers in the shared living space.
    • I dislike the idea of having to share my living space with others.
    • I don't get it. Why do people who pay the least get concierge service?
    • I have another opinion (which I'll post)

I too think these would be great for solo cruisers, but would not pay a 200% supplement. When cruising solo I look for lines with a much more favourable single supplement. The shared space and concierge service are not draws for me... certainly not enough to pay that 200%.

Rochelle

If I go solo, I always look for the bottom line, not focus on the 200% factor. 125% on one line may still be more that 200% on another. JMHO.

DT

Also the deck plans show white space between many of the studios. Would these be areas for studio-size cabins for the crew? Would the key card central hallway also be used by the crew? Overall it looks like NCL had more crew cabins available than crew needed; so they have come up with some slick PR to sell these cabins to the public.

Based on the statements made in Miami yesterday the hallways not not key card access. The Living Room requires a Studio key card to enter like the Star Bar when it is reserved for penthouse passengers during the day on the Gem

At first pass the concept of these cabins appears to be a return to steerage; however, considering he number of times I've had a 122 sq. ft. on the Monarch of the Seas, these cabins are really not too much smaller. I think they would be worth a try on a 3-5 day cruise, but very confining on anything longer.

Being that I'm a tall guy the room would almost be the length of me lying down! Ha ha but otherwise the overall concept is great. I don't mind sharing community spaces so long as people wash their hands!!! If the rooms are going to be as cheap as an interior cabin and have a porthole then for me Mr. Budget cruiser it would be great! Bravo to NCL for thinking up something new and different! :D

I can't wait until they reveal the public areas. This ship is looking like it'll give the Solstice a run for her money in innovations!!

Turn the lights to "love setting" and you also get Barry White, a drop down swing, and a complementary set of "lovecuffs" with the NCL logo on them for a momento.

LOL... Love it!! :D

I think many people are missing several key items about these studio rooms.

1. On older ships like the QE2, Norway, and many of the other older liners inside rooms as small as 85sq ft were not uncommon - even for First Class passengers

2. The layout of the room is TOTALLY and radically different from any that we have seen before. There is no separate bathroom in the traditional sense. The toilet is in it's own separate compartment, the Shower and sink area are both part of the cabin. This eliminates the need to duplicate some square footage in a "hallway" type area between bathroom and closets. The Closets appear to be built-ins on the walls adjacent to the bed and have slider doors which save space. I think that the usuable floor space of these cabins will be no less than, equal to, and possibly even greater than those onboard ships w/ inside cabins in the 122-130 sq ft range. Similar to many other ships there is no sitting area other than on the bed, and the placement of the tv on the adjacent wall will make for easy viewing. The concept is great for solo travelers and couples, but for 2 friends sharing not so much.

3. The living room is really just a concierge lounge - akin to the Neptune Lounges on HAL ships. It is supplemental to all the other public areas on the ship but dedicated to the studio cabins. The chances that EVERY passenger booked into the Studios being in there at the same time is virtually zero. I would venture to guess that during much of the day it will be fairly quiet and empty - especially if it does not have exterior views. The main popularity will most likely be as a place for groups of friends traveling together to hang out in a more exclusive environment. It is a very smart way for NCL to boost the value of it's least desireable cabins.

4. The porthole window looks out to the corridor and provides an additional source of ambient light and will lead to the room feeling larger. There appear to be sliding partitions that can cover the porthole to provide for ample privacy should you desire it. I have been on plenty of cruises walking down the cabin corridors and seen where people have propped their cabin doors open to make the space seem less closed off. Not everyone wants to "hide" when in their cabins .....

End result - NCL is offering a very affordable cabin choice with some attractive extra perks. I think these cabins will sell well and would not be surprised to see more of them on future newbuilds. Yes, they appeal to a very particular market segment (hip/urban 20-30 year olds in my opinion who want W hotel type atmosphere on a budget and who enjoy being in social atmospheres), but I think that is a market NCL has been after in many ways for the last 10 years or so. Bliss Ultra Lounge, Giant Wii screens in the lobby, and on and on......

One thing for sure - This ain't your Grand-daddy's cruise ship!

I think many people are missing several key items about these studio rooms.

1. On older ships like the QE2, Norway, and many of the other older liners inside rooms as small as 85sq ft were not uncommon - even for First Class passengers

2. The layout of the room is TOTALLY and radically different from any that we have seen before. There is no separate bathroom in the traditional sense. The toilet is in it's own separate compartment, the Shower and sink area are both part of the cabin. This eliminates the need to duplicate some square footage in a "hallway" type area between bathroom and closets. The Closets appear to be built-ins on the walls adjacent to the bed and have slider doors which save space. I think that the usuable floor space of these cabins will be no less than, equal to, and possibly even greater than those onboard ships w/ inside cabins in the 122-130 sq ft range. Similar to many other ships there is no sitting area other than on the bed, and the placement of the tv on the adjacent wall will make for easy viewing. The concept is great for solo travelers and couples, but for 2 friends sharing not so much.

3. The living room is really just a concierge lounge - akin to the Neptune Lounges on HAL ships. It is supplemental to all the other public areas on the ship but dedicated to the studio cabins. The chances that EVERY passenger booked into the Studios being in there at the same time is virtually zero. I would venture to guess that during much of the day it will be fairly quiet and empty - especially if it does not have exterior views. The main popularity will most likely be as a place for groups of friends traveling together to hang out in a more exclusive environment. It is a very smart way for NCL to boost the value of it's least desireable cabins.

4. The porthole window looks out to the corridor and provides an additional source of ambient light and will lead to the room feeling larger. There appear to be sliding partitions that can cover the porthole to provide for ample privacy should you desire it. I have been on plenty of cruises walking down the cabin corridors and seen where people have propped their cabin doors open to make the space seem less closed off. Not everyone wants to "hide" when in their cabins .....

End result - NCL is offering a very affordable cabin choice with some attractive extra perks. I think these cabins will sell well and would not be surprised to see more of them on future newbuilds. Yes, they appeal to a very particular market segment (hip/urban 20-30 year olds in my opinion who want W hotel type atmosphere on a budget and who enjoy being in social atmospheres), but I think that is a market NCL has been after in many ways for the last 10 years or so. Bliss Ultra Lounge, Giant Wii screens in the lobby, and on and on......

One thing for sure - This ain't your Grand-daddy's cruise ship!

Excellent points. Especially about the square footage being misleading when compared to cabins in existing ships. Whether or not I ever choose a studio, I think the concept is very smart.

Studios will only accomodate 2 persons. I have two groups with studios and family suites for Aug. 2010. I'm hoping that the studio idea is novel enough to fill the ships for every sailing.

I am totally amazed at how vehemently some are condeming the studios. It's not like the whole ship is studio cabins. Isn't the whole concept of freestyle supposed to be - get what you want/can afford and let the other person get what he wants/can afford? Me I'm opting for a family suite......

I am really surprised, I just returned from the Jewel and had a balcony and was shocked at how small these cabins are much less what's on the horizon. As baby boomers are going to be a large number and do a lot of cruising they tend to want a larger space as they spend more time in their cabin. I will go on NCL again but it will not be my first choice partly because of the small cabins.

how many do the studios sleep? I havent had time to read it all, can someone tell me which rooms penthouse and below hold 4 people with the pull downs?

Check this out

http://epictoolkit.ncl.com/deck_plans/EpicDeckPlanSpread_031709.pdf

There are a least 6 catagories with cabins that will hold 4 from inside to Deluxe Family balconies.

first I heard of it. Where did you see this? Has anyone on the ships notice less crew?

I received an e-mail from a friend who was a senior stateroom steward on the gem. He said that there was restructuring of various positions in the housekeeping department and that there are no longer senior stateroom stewards. He is trying to apply with other cruiselines now because they just let him go two weeks ago while he was on leave. It's too bad because he was the best stateroom steward I have ever met.

I received an e-mail from a friend who was a senior stateroom steward on the gem. He said that there was restructuring of various positions in the housekeeping department and that there are no longer senior stateroom stewards. He is trying to apply with other cruiselines now because they just let him go two weeks ago while he was on leave. It's too bad because he was the best stateroom steward I have ever met.

but restructuring doesn't mean they cut the number of staff. It means that the cut out senior title and redistributed it. I still haven't heard that the overall number has been cut. when you say "on leave" you mean between contracts...and didn't offer him a new one. I don't doubt what you say only that there have no reports that the NUMBER of crew has been cut....redeployed yes but not cut. He probably can go back as a base steward but doesn;t want to...

There are those that say.. well, I don't spend much time in my cabin..BUT WE DO.. and we are large people and I would not pay nor want a 10 x 10 cabin.. We will be sailing on the Gem the end of November in a mini suite for 13 days and it darn well better be comfortable in size.

Im the rarity here - someone who did easycruise twice in the Caribbean and is now pondering a cruise on NCL. There are critical differences between easycruise and NCL that would make the dinky cabins - that on easycruise One were simple, glorious euro-tiny minimialsim - far less tolerable on a large ship.

And to me the following is the most significant distinction:

easycruise had no "days at sea." It was insanely port-intensive (one per day_, and you left port every day usually after midnight. You were supposed to get off the ship and enjoy the funky little islands like Bequia or St. Barts. Heck, that was the point - whoever described it as a fun, clean floating hostel was pretty accurate.

NCL, however, does have sea days, 2 or 3 in a 7-day cruise, like just about every other primary cruise line. And even on port days you depart by 6 PM. You're supposed to relax and enjoy the ship and your cabin. That would be a challenge in a room even smaller than my easycruise cabins.

I hope they succeed, simply because NCL is actually trying to expand the cruise options and opportunities to people. But I wouldn't consider one of them because on a large ship (as opposed to easycruise) I'd want the largest cabin I could afford - on those days at sea I would like to be able to stretch out, relax, and have a modicum of privacy. But if someone just wants the cabin for a place to clean and stretch out, have at it!

Just remember that when you first see your cabin, you'll probably do what I did on easycruise: laugh out loud.

We want to know what you think: Would you pay standard inside rates for a smaller cabin that's more chic and provides access to a private lounge? Or is 100 square feet simply not enough space for a cruise vacation? Vote in our poll above, and post your opinions below!

My answer to your poll was that "I have a different opinion". At 100 and 128 sq. ft respectfully, I would not be interested in a studio or an inside cabin. Nor would I pay the same price for less space. This is one reason we elected not to sail on the Majesty even though we could drive to the port.

I am, however, very fond of the new look and the new concept. The rooms are nicely designed and the spacing is very open in the areas we have been privy to. Although the overall ship size is more than we are accustomed to (we generally prefer smaller ships), we are curious like so many others to see what NCL can bring to this new market. The balcony cabin is very appealing and I actually have a call in to my TA to see if pricing is available yet. If the price is reasonable, we will sail in a balcony. Otherwise, there are plenty of other ships to sail on.

There are people who may be happy with those cabins depending on the price ! but those who prefer Balconies etc will not be tempted by them.

so far all the NCL ships have nice designs and a fluency in their shape....:) .... sadly the Epic is anything but !....:rolleyes:

From the pics so far it is an Ugly ship ....... it actually looks like an MSC ship with what looks like an after thought dumped on top above the Bridge!!

• Administrators
There are people who may be happy with those cabins depending on the price ! but those who prefer Balconies etc will not be tempted by them.

so far all the NCL ships have nice designs and a fluency in their shape....:) .... sadly the Epic is anything but !....:rolleyes:

From the pics so far it is an Ugly ship ....... it actually looks like an MSC ship with what looks like an after thought dumped on top above the Bridge!!

That's not an afterthought... it's a hat!

Archived