Norwegian Epic Studios: Too Tiny or Super Chic?

What do you think of Epic's Studio cabins (choose all that apply)?  

1,121 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Epic's Studio cabins (choose all that apply)?

• Tiny room, communal living space -- I'll go back to college for that!
    • The studios really do look cool, but I definitely need more space.
    • Love it! Small room = big savings. (It's just a place to sleep after all.)
    • I like the idea of meeting other travelers in the shared living space.
    • I dislike the idea of having to share my living space with others.
    • I don't get it. Why do people who pay the least get concierge service?
    • I have another opinion (which I'll post)

They said that everything increased in price compared to their last NCL cruise, and they said that prices were noticeably higher for the same things on other cruises. Bingo and pictures were even more outrageously priced than usual. There used to be several free specialty restaurants, and now there was either just one or two free main dining rooms (no 3 free dining rooms, no free Italian restaurant, and no free Mexican restaurant). Drinks went up in price, and they felt that NCL was always trying to convince them to spend their money and get them to spend their money (in a pushy way) much more than in the past and much more than on other lines... to the point where they were turned off from cruising NCL for awhile.

Don't believe everything you hear...I got off of the Gem on Saturday. They had a $99 all the pictures you had taken of you deal on, my Margaritas were $7.48 including the 15% tip and there are 2 full main free dining rooms, plus the buffet, plus Blue Lagoon. Service was excellent and other than the crappy weather in the Bahamas, it was a great cruise. I went to Trivia and a show and was never once asked to buy a bingo card.

i simply cannot believe the amount of negative feedback to these studio cabins. these only represent one category of cabins, and they are obviously aimed for the budget-conscious traveler.

to all the people who have reacted negatively, it is completely possible to choose another category of cabin, or even the regular inside cabins.

and bear in mind since the studios are an inside cabin, i think they look a hell of a lot better than any other inside cabin i've seen on other ships, and they are really not that much smaller. however that being said, it might be a completely different experience depending on the length of the cruise.

btw i think all of the cabins are extremely chic, and it is unfair that ncl are not getting any credit for it.

contemporary design does not equal spring breakers, people!!! easy cruise or carnival equals spring breakers.

ncl are obviously aiming at people who have a little bit of class and taste. and the beauty of it is that you can have both while still being budget-conscious.

I thought it was a joke when I first heard the story of a 100 sq ft cabin. I guess it is true and the joke is on the travellers who are booked into those cabins. :mad:

Instead of having my space, you'll get "shared social space". :confused:

Here is a suggestion to take it to the next step. Have a "shared sleeping space", :D featuring rows of rows of bunk bed with lockers on the side just like the prison camps in Hogan's Heroes (great TV show from the olden days) Cramp them at least 36 to a room.

Call the cruise "boot camp cruise" featuring lots and lots of boot camp experiences. Your "personal trainer' (drill sargent) will get you up before 6, jog, run, whatever for a couple hours before breakfast. Shore excusrions would be full pack hikes. :)

I thought it was a joke when I first heard the story of a 100 sq ft cabin. I guess it is true and the joke is on the travellers who are booked into those cabins. :mad:

Instead of having my space, you'll get "shared social space". :confused:

Here is a suggestion to take it to the next step. Have a "shared sleeping space", :D featuring rows of rows of bunk bed with lockers on the side just like the prison camps in Hogan's Heroes (great TV show from the olden days) Cramp them at least 36 to a room.

Call the cruise "boot camp cruise" featuring lots and lots of boot camp experiences. Your "personal trainer' (drill sargent) will get you up before 6, jog, run, whatever for a couple hours before breakfast. Shore excusrions would be full pack hikes. :)

The now defunct windjammer bearfoot had shared cabins on the Poly.

I actualy like the idea of a smaller cabin with a much larger shared(but only with a few people) space(would want a cabin close though) I get a lot of space for my money since the place will not be used by everyone all the time fall back is the cabin

Thats what the courtyard villas are on a more up market scale there are around 40-70 people depending on occupancy that have access to the courtyards, usualy you are the only ones there, 10 would be busy.

same with the concierge lounge(star bar) 100+ peope have access nearly always empty

Same will happen with the lounge 250 max with a lot of times where it will be empty.

Having seen the artists' renditions of the ship (shudder) and having read the newest release regarding the mini-staterooms being offered, I think it is becoming more and more obvious why the Epic will be the only one of its kind. :rolleyes:

Is there any wonder why, when it appeared that NCL might cancel this ship as well, the shipyard couldn't find any other cruise line willing to take on this "thing"? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

You said it in a nut shell SOLO the cruise lines stay away from that word. You buddy up or don't go... It would be nice to have the option of getting away for a week and not having to take a friend... You know some me time. Mix and mingle when you want and have some peace and quite when you need. 100 sq. ft. for one would be fine.

BTW

Has anyone ever figured out how the showers work last I was reading it was blue jay in the middle of the cabin like it or not... Some CCers said it looked like there was a pannel door between the two sides but that would just be asking for slip and falls don't you think? And you stay in the cabin until I am finished washing...

Has anyone ever figured out how the showers work last I was reading it was blue jay in the middle of the cabin like it or not... Some CCers said it looked like there was a pannel door between the two sides but that would just be asking for slip and falls don't you think? And you stay in the cabin until I am finished washing...

There is no confirmation, I guess, but one crew member who saw a mock up of the cabins said the shower area has a towel rack and enough room to dry off and dress or put a robe on, so I'm not worried. It will be the same routine I have now when I cruise with my sister. I make sure I'm decent, either dressed or robed, before I step out into the cabin.

Last year we were in the Caribbean at a resort where there was no towel rack inside the shower stall. I did think that was a big mistake since you see into the sink area from the rest of the room. It was convenient for getting ready at the same time, but they needed to allow a bit for privacy when stepping out of the shower. A towel rack or robe hook is all it would have taken (which I stated on my comment card). I became the master of slipping my arm out of the shower stall door to pull my robe inside. ;)

There are people who may be happy with those cabins depending on the price ! but those who prefer Balconies etc will not be tempted by them.

so far all the NCL ships have nice designs and a fluency in their shape....:) .... sadly the Epic is anything but !....:rolleyes:

From the pics so far it is an Ugly ship ....... it actually looks like an MSC ship with what looks like an after thought dumped on top above the Bridge!!

That's right, sidari. I likened it on another thread to something my 5-year old grandson might build with his Leggos! :D

DT

i simply cannot believe the amount of negative feedback to these studio cabins. these only represent one category of cabins, and they are obviously aimed for the budget-conscious traveler.

to all the people who have reacted negatively, it is completely possible to choose another category of cabin, or even the regular inside cabins.

and bear in mind since the studios are an inside cabin, i think they look a hell of a lot better than any other inside cabin i've seen on other ships, and they are really not that much smaller. however that being said, it might be a completely different experience depending on the length of the cruise.

btw i think all of the cabins are extremely chic, and it is unfair that ncl are not getting any credit for it.

contemporary design does not equal spring breakers, people!!! easy cruise or carnival equals spring breakers.

ncl are obviously aiming at people who have a little bit of class and taste. and the beauty of it is that you can have both while still being budget-conscious.

Maybe for the budget-conscious...maybe not! Until we see the price, we'll never know! :rolleyes:

DT

Has anyone actually seen pricing for these rooms as yet? Everyone seems to be assuming that they will be less expensive and worth the loss of space. My reading of the material that NCL has put out so far indicates that they may be charging a premium rather than a discount for these spaces and, if so, will not be quite as much of a bargain as some believe. I also have not seen any indication that they will be reducing or eliminating the single supplement. What I have read clearly indicates that they expect these rooms to be occupied by two people.

Equating appreciation for extremely small staterooms with having "a little bit of class and taste" is more than a bit presumptuous. Those who are budget-conscious can certainly have "class and taste", but the two are not automatically related, and having doubts about a room the size and design of the studios does not mean that someone lacks either quality. It could be a case where size truly does matter.:rolleyes: Until the actual prices are revealed, most of our discussions are purely academic.

So, do you own a LOT of NCL stock? A rather emotional reaction to the solicited opinions of persons other than yourself.

Has anyone actually seen pricing for these rooms as yet? Everyone seems to be assuming that they will be less expensive and worth the loss of space.

I thought the indication was that they would cost the same as a regular inside cabin? I could be wrong, but that was my impression. Obviously, that's not a hard number but it gives a basis for comparison. A person can choose a bit extra space or the "perks" that come with the studio. One or the other will be perfect for the right traveler. I'd love to take a peak at one. To me, square footage alone doesn't tell the story. I'd have to "feel" it since design and use of space can make a big difference. But I'd be a bit afraid to book it until I knew more.

• 1 month later...

from what I understood in Las Vegas. The small side stateroom and only a few would accomodate a solo cruiser quite comnfortably. The price was to be great for a solo.

But reading here I am taking it as 2 in it. YIKES! My bedroom is bigger than that.

Folks like us in early retirement due to the Obama TARP funds. Not to us but banks. So we live on savings account til retirement checks show in a few years. So cruises are few unless we get cheap prices. So far not one other than Charlotte to Bahamas for $400 for OV but window blocked with lifeboat.

from what I understood in Las Vegas. The small side stateroom and only a few would accomodate a solo cruiser quite comnfortably. The price was to be great for a solo.

But reading here I am taking it as 2 in it. YIKES! My bedroom is bigger than that.

Folks like us in early retirement due to the Obama TARP funds. Not to us but banks. So we live on savings account til retirement checks show in a few years. So cruises are few unless we get cheap prices. So far not one other than Charlotte to Bahamas for $400 for OV but window blocked with lifeboat.

Does this mean you will not be sailing on the epic?

I thought the indication was that they would cost the same as a regular inside cabin? I could be wrong, but that was my impression. Obviously, that's not a hard number but it gives a basis for comparison. A person can choose a bit extra space or the "perks" that come with the studio. One or the other will be perfect for the right traveler. I'd love to take a peak at one. To me, square footage alone doesn't tell the story. I'd have to "feel" it since design and use of space can make a big difference. But I'd be a bit afraid to book it until I knew more.

I agree with you about the difference that design and use of space can make. Our outside balcony room on NCL Spirit was very nice but quite compact and there was a definite lack of storage space that would have been a problem if we were on another itinerary than our Bermuda one. I'm not sure how adequate it was for those who did the 13 night repositioning cruise from New Orleans to Boston.:) Am I also right in assuming that any solo cruisers will be paying a single supplement for a studio or other inside room?

Don't believe everything you hear...I got off of the Gem on Saturday. They had a $99 all the pictures you had taken of you deal on, my Margaritas were $7.48 including the 15% tip and there are 2 full main free dining rooms, plus the buffet, plus Blue Lagoon. Service was excellent and other than the crappy weather in the Bahamas, it was a great cruise. I went to Trivia and a show and was never once asked to buy a bingo card.

Interesting- on our very recent Spirit cruise they were charging $119 for that special photo package. Had we realized how expensive the individual photos were, we might have signed up for it but at this point in our cruising history we purchase very few photos. Those few that we did purchase did run the cost up to over $90.:rolleyes:

I think it is very cleaver. NCL took what would have been the worst cabins on the ship. Small inside of the inside cabins and gave them some buzz. Without the buzz they would have had to almost give this space away to sell it. In my view perfect for a solo cruiser giving them a common area to meet others.

Unfortunately, the solo cruiser has to pay double to stay in this tiny cabin. (I checked with the TA.) Not for me, thanks.

Besides, how many times have you sat in a lobby where the television is on but no one is listening to it? No one feels comfortable changing the channel or turning it off. We can't even get our family to agree what to watch. Think about a roomful of strangers.

Then, again, there is the noise level. Not everyone keeps the same hours or has the same tolerance of noise (or tastes in music!!).

It's enough space for me and I like the idea to meet other people (probably some solo travellers as well) in the common living room.

I don't quite understand the appeal of the common living room. Isn't the entire ship a common living room? That's where I want to go to meet people.

How are people getting the idea that you HAVE to have a communal living room? That is for the studio and helps make up for that small room. If that's not for you, you are free to book a balcony or suite or penthouse. I like the idea of smaller, more intimate dining rooms. That doesn't mean there will be a charge for all of them. The ship was specifically designed for Freestyle so I'm not sure where you're coming from. :confused:

But that's what the poll is about and what the discussion is about.

I don't quite understand the appeal of the common living room. Isn't the entire ship a common living room? That's where I want to go to meet people.

I completely understand its appeal. I think these studios, with the common room, are going to appeal to a very specific type of person - a very social one. There isn't really a price break, so to me it's all about the social experience - not unlike the courtyard experience, only for people on a budget. When I was younger and without a child along, this would have undoubtedly been my choice, just for the opportunity to hang out with a group of like-minded travellers in our own 'rec room'. I imagine those who share this space will develop the same sort of camaraderie that one experiences when on a group tour, which is something I've always enjoyed. I imagine it's also going to be very popular with groups who are travelling together - at least the ones who are comprised of singles and pairs. :)

Archived