Norwegian Epic Studios: Too Tiny or Super Chic?

What do you think of Epic's Studio cabins (choose all that apply)?  

1,121 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Epic's Studio cabins (choose all that apply)?

• Tiny room, communal living space -- I'll go back to college for that!
    • The studios really do look cool, but I definitely need more space.
    • Love it! Small room = big savings. (It's just a place to sleep after all.)
    • I like the idea of meeting other travelers in the shared living space.
    • I dislike the idea of having to share my living space with others.
    • I don't get it. Why do people who pay the least get concierge service?
    • I have another opinion (which I'll post)

Is it me, or are there other people out there who NEVER want to sail on this ship?

I have cruised twice on NCL, and the more I hear about changes they have made from recent cruisers (friends) and the more I read about this new "ship," the more I know I will not be sailing on NCL for a long time.

These rooms and the standard inside rooms are beyond tiny. I would hate for a first time cruiser to sail on this ship in one of these cabins and think all rooms and cabins and ships are like this! NCL seems to keep increasing the class distinctions and differences... ENOUGH ALREADY! We are not cruising on ocean-liners in the early 1900's - we are here to cruise and have fun, not be treated differently based on class!

Not only do I feel NCL should be ashamed about these rooms, but there is NO main dining room and NO main show lounge. What is going on here? This is NOT a cruise ship!

To top things off, I know some friends who just got off of the Gem after sailing on other NCl cruises and other lines/ships, and they said they will NOT go back to NCL for a long time - they said NCL should be embarrassed for the nickel and diming- from drinks, to every single specialty restaurant, to large price increases of everything onboard compared to last time they sailed.

To top things off, I know some friends who just got off of the Gem after sailing on other NCl cruises and other lines/ships, and they said they will NOT go back to NCL for a long time - they said NCL should be embarrassed for the nickel and diming- from drinks, to every single specialty restaurant, to large price increases of everything onboard compared to last time they sailed.

I'm curious what NCL is charging for that the other lines don't?

It definitely wouldn't appeal to me, but I'm thinking for a single it would be great. And the addition of conceirge is very enticing. A conceirge with the pricing of an inside? I think we may be surprised at how well this cabin goes over.

CG

Agreed. If it was "just me" I would be FINE with a studio. I think it's a great idea.

They said that everything increased in price compared to their last NCL cruise, and they said that prices were noticeably higher for the same things on other cruises. Bingo and pictures were even more outrageously priced than usual. There used to be several free specialty restaurants, and now there was either just one or two free main dining rooms (no 3 free dining rooms, no free Italian restaurant, and no free Mexican restaurant). Drinks went up in price, and they felt that NCL was always trying to convince them to spend their money and get them to spend their money (in a pushy way) much more than in the past and much more than on other lines... to the point where they were turned off from cruising NCL for awhile.

I might consider a studio if I had reason to believe the bathroom was human-sized. I don't have any use for NCL's new ship "toilet in a tiny closet, sink in a tiny closet, normal shower" bathrooms. The bathrooms on the Majesty are better than that!

Is this the begining of the end of free style cruising? One of the main advertisments of NCL is Free stlye cruising " free to whatever" free to NOT have to dine with others if you don't want to, free to eat where you want, free to do whatever you want when you want. Now they want you to have to use a communal living room as part of your room? so your free to have other people in your living room? I'm NOT liking this idea at all. with only 100 SQF you almost have no choice but to use the living room unless you want to lay in the bed all the time. now I understand some arn't in thier rooms much, but come on, where are you gonna sit and have a relaxing cup of coffee before getting dressed? sit on the potty? I didn't see where there was TV's in the room, but there are some in the living room? who's gonna control what's on? or are we free to watch what ever as long as everyone in the LR agree? With the amount of passengers on this huge ship, I sure hope they have plans to have places for poeple go and not feel like sardines, seeings how some will have to share thier living room.

No main dining room, so I guess all the restaurants will be specialty rest?

or are we free to only dine in smaller rest.?

Anyways you get my point. I may have stretched the truth a little. with what little we know about these rooms. but I think it's some thing we may have to watch for.....

If I'm sailing with DBF, a studio wouldn't interest me unless it's a lot cheaper than an inside (and it won't be from what they say) but if I was sailing solo and they would waive the single supplement, I would jump on it.

It's enough space for me and I like the idea to meet other people (probably some solo travellers as well) in the common living room. The room itself looks good despite it's small size.

I'm not very excited about the Epic in general (I prefer mid-size vessels) but if they have GREAT solo pricing for those studios, I might try it (I'm a bargain hunter, a great price is the key element in booking a cruise for me).

Is this the begining of the end of free style cruising? One of the main advertisments of NCL is Free stlye cruising " free to whatever" free to NOT have to dine with others if you don't want to, free to eat where you want, free to do whatever you want when you want. Now they want you to have to use a communal living room as part of your room? so your free to have other people in your living room? I'm NOT liking this idea at all. with only 100 SQF you almost have no choice but to use the living room unless you want to lay in the bed all the time. now I understand some arn't in thier rooms much, but come on, where are you gonna sit and have a relaxing cup of coffee before getting dressed? sit on the potty? .....

Well, you're free to book a different category of stateroom, and that'll take care of all those problems

I think the style is cool, though I'd feel a bit like a fish in a bowl with the windows facing the corridor (I took a Promenade-facing cabin once on Voyager of the Seas, but higher up so I still felt I had some privacy!). And as much as I love my husband...I don't know if I could stand being that close for a full cruise!

One question we have is whether NCL would waive the single supplements for solo travelers in these cabins -- because a Studio might be an OK size for someone traveling alone, and the Living Room offers natural mingling options. We'll keep you posted (Dan Askin, who's on the ground at Cruise Shipping Miami, is seeking the answer).

For me, 100 sq feet seems quite small but at least they have that shared living space/living room/concierge area attached and available.

I like the look of the other cabins very much including inside and balcony.

Give NCL some credit. I'm bored with the same cabin choices on today's ships.

I'm not sure if I would try this new 100 sq feet studio cabin but I'll wait for the pricing before I decide. Maybe it would be priced in a way that one can afford 2 cabins and stay in their price range.

How many studios share the living room? If it's just a small number-it might be great for a group of friends/families to share. ( a bed and breakfast comes to mind)

I think I'll reserve judgement until I know more. One has to be more careful about cabin selection on this ship.

But over the past decade, ships have gotten bigger but not too different unless you count wave riders, bowling alleys, ice skating and rock climbing.

It's about time someone tries something new.

As a Solo cruiser in her 60's I wouldn't sail in one of these cabins even if they were giving it away.... especially given the communal living room caveat. Not so much re: size as my husband & I spend many days during summer on our boat & the cabin there is even smaller.

This floor will attract college students, young singles and groups.

I remember Spring Break in FLL in the early 60's. We booked the

barest minimum, cheapest motel rooms. Could have cared less what size they were. We'd have enough people to rent out an entire motel. We loved to congregate somewhere with other students...the beach. There were always a few nitwits amongst the hordes.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this communal living area has some serious problems at some point. Overcrowding often breeds trouble. Very risky business for this cruiseline.

Martha

I have to agree with Melissa.

If the single supplement were to be waived I'think I could enjoy cruising in this cabin solo. But think it's just too tiny for 2.

The way I see it is that this may possibly make it more affordable for singles to cruise. And with the ajoining livingroom a great way for singles to meet their neighbors. Also think it might be a good ship to promote a "Singles" cruise.

Annie

This floor will attract college students, young singles and groups.

I remember Spring Break in FLL in the early 60's. We booked the

barest minimum, cheapest motel rooms. Could have cared less what size they were. We'd have enough people to rent out an entire motel. We loved to congregate somewhere with other students...the beach. There were always a few nitwits amongst the hordes.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this communal living area has some serious problems at some point. Overcrowding often breeds trouble. Very risky business for this cruiseline.

Martha

I think the opposite may be the case. I don't expect these cabins to be lower in cost then the lower level inside cabins because of the perks. College students and groups want to have 3 or 4 to a cabin to get the cost pp even lower. No desire for concierge service and the tips required. Not an option with these cabins. So far less over crowding then the other cabin categories.

Not sure what makes a bar restricted to a limited number of passengers communal living. That would make every public area communal living with 4000 plus passengers sharing them.

The funny thing back in the day 100 SQF was considered a good size cabin

Seems the next logical progression in cabin design is--wait for it--hostel cabins! Yes, budget conscious cruisers can save big by booking a cabin with community sleeping quarters with guests having to bring their own sheets and agree to help with chores! NCL is wisely waiting to see how the studio cabins are received before taking that next step! :D Well, it wouldn't be boring!

One question we have is whether NCL would waive the single supplements for solo travelers in these cabins -- because a Studio might be an OK size for someone traveling alone,

I was thinking the exact same thing. These cabins would be perfect for solo travelers, and if the price is low enough, I think they would have no trouble whatsoever filling them.

It's all going to depend on price point, though. If they ask too much, I can't imagine anyone is gonna be willing to stay in a 100 square foot cabin. After all, some prison cells are bigger than that!

Blue skies ...

--rita

My friend, that is exactly how NCL makes their money. They offer lower price points for their cruises, but then nickle and dime you to death once you get onboard. By week's end, by the time you've paid for so many specialty restaurant dinners ... because the included restaurants generally have long lines and sub-standard food and service ... and paid the high drink prices and for just about everything else in between ... NCL has "gotcha!" You've wound up paying just as much for your cruise and your friends did who just returned from their Princess or HAL cruise. And guess what? They probably had a much nicer cruise than you did.

Joke's on you.

The only way I would even consider one of these cabins would be if there was a zero ... zilch, nada, zip ... single supplement on them ... but somehow I don't think that's gonna be the case at all.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Is this the begining of the end of free style cruising? One of the main advertisments of NCL is Free stlye cruising " free to whatever" free to NOT have to dine with others if you don't want to, free to eat where you want, free to do whatever you want when you want. Now they want you to have to use a communal living room as part of your room? so your free to have other people in your living room? I'm NOT liking this idea at all. with only 100 SQF you almost have no choice but to use the living room unless you want to lay in the bed all the time. now I understand some arn't in thier rooms much, but come on, where are you gonna sit and have a relaxing cup of coffee before getting dressed? sit on the potty? I didn't see where there was TV's in the room, but there are some in the living room? who's gonna control what's on? or are we free to watch what ever as long as everyone in the LR agree? With the amount of passengers on this huge ship, I sure hope they have plans to have places for poeple go and not feel like sardines, seeings how some will have to share thier living room.

No main dining room, so I guess all the restaurants will be specialty rest?

or are we free to only dine in smaller rest.?

Anyways you get my point. I may have stretched the truth a little. with what little we know about these rooms. but I think it's some thing we may have to watch for.....

How are people getting the idea that you HAVE to have a communal living room? That is for the studio and helps make up for that small room. If that's not for you, you are free to book a balcony or suite or penthouse. I like the idea of smaller, more intimate dining rooms. That doesn't mean there will be a charge for all of them. The ship was specifically designed for Freestyle so I'm not sure where you're coming from. :confused:

Just another way to creatively and deceivably cram more people on the ship and make more money. I can not understand why will anyone pay the same price as an inside cabin for a tiny tiny room like that.

Why don’t NCL just put a barge and tow it, which might DOUBLE the occupancy again?

Wait a second, this just in. NCL said the idea is under consideration for their future ships!!!:eek:

How are people getting the idea that you HAVE to have a communal living room? That is for the studio and helps make up for that small room. If that's not for you, you are free to book a balcony or suite or penthouse. I like the idea of smaller, more intimate dining rooms. That doesn't mean there will be a charge for all of them. The ship was specifically designed for Freestyle so I'm not sure where you're coming from. :confused:

as stated in my post :

"I may have stretched the truth a little. with what little we know about these rooms. but I think it's some thing we may have to watch for.....

By week's end, by the time you've paid for so many specialty restaurant dinners ... because the included restaurants generally have long lines and sub-standard food and service ...

So no one eats in the included restaurant because of the long lines ?

Do you see the issue in that idea.

Hi Melissa,

I think it's great that NCL has spa rooms I think they should do this on all ships even if it is a few cabins:) the Living Room also sounds great!

It does sound very small but with the spa and the Living Room perks would mean less time in your cabin.

The Studio does not have access to the spa. There are 39 spa suites and 60 of another type suite that have spa access. :(

That is for the studio and helps make up for that small room. If that's not for you, you are free to book a balcony or suite or penthouse. I like the idea of smaller, more intimate dining rooms. That doesn't mean there will be a charge for all of them. The ship was specifically designed for Freestyle so I'm not sure where you're coming from. :confused:
Oh, I agree with you. I definitely see a viable purpose for these small rooms. A family traveling together with a couple of kids. Put the teen in one of these to let everyone else have a bit of breathing room in the main cabin. Also, as noted before, they are great for singles. If you don't like the idea of a "communal" living room, you certainly don't have to use it. I think the main purpose of it is for the concierge services anyway. Other than that, what would be the point? If I want to curl up somewhere with a good book, wouldn't a bar or lounge be a better place? At least there I could get a drink if I wanted to.

As for the restaurants and the charges ... LOL, trust me ... if the restaurant is any good, there will be an extra charge. That's the whole NCL way. I think they depend on those service charges to make a decent profit on their sailings. The only restaurants that won't have charges will probably be the buffet and one or two "standard" restaurants onboard, and these will offer the same menu items day in and day out, and will have long lines of people waiting to get in. So, if you don't mind standing in line for an hour or more waiting to be seated, not to mention how long the meal will take since they are so busy, then fine ... eat at the free restaurants. But if you have other things you want to do with your night ... and can't afford to make dinner the main event ... then you're pretty much not gonna have any choice but to suck it up and pay the service charge. And, NCL is counting on most people doing that. After all, a family of four, say a $20 per head service charge, multiplied by multiple nights of the cruise ... that's a nice chunk of change for NCL. So, they're not going to give that up in order to have more free restaurants. It just doesn't make sense.

Blue skies ...

--rita

as stated in my post :

"I may have stretched the truth a little. with what little we know about these rooms. but I think it's some thing we may have to watch for.....

I realize you included that disclaimer, but I just don't get your concern based on what we know so far. What is it we're watching for? You seem concerned this is the end of freestyle when it seems to me it expands on the concept.

Also, while I quoted you (sorry), I was getting the feeling from some other posts that people were reacting as though all the cabins would be like the studio.

I'm excited about this ship, even though the itineraries are uninspiring. I might hate it. I've never been on a ship bigger than the Jewel class, but I love that they are trying some different things.

Archived