Norwegian Epic Studios: Too Tiny or Super Chic?

What do you think of Epic's Studio cabins (choose all that apply)?  

1,121 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Epic's Studio cabins (choose all that apply)?

• Tiny room, communal living space -- I'll go back to college for that!
    • The studios really do look cool, but I definitely need more space.
    • Love it! Small room = big savings. (It's just a place to sleep after all.)
    • I like the idea of meeting other travelers in the shared living space.
    • I dislike the idea of having to share my living space with others.
    • I don't get it. Why do people who pay the least get concierge service?
    • I have another opinion (which I'll post)

Has anyone actually seen pricing for these rooms as yet? Everyone seems to be assuming that they will be less expensive and worth the loss of space. My reading of the material that NCL has put out so far indicates that they may be charging a premium rather than a discount for these spaces and, if so, will not be quite as much of a bargain as some believe. I also have not seen any indication that they will be reducing or eliminating the single supplement. What I have read clearly indicates that they expect these rooms to be occupied by two people.

Equating appreciation for extremely small staterooms with having "a little bit of class and taste" is more than a bit presumptuous. Those who are budget-conscious can certainly have "class and taste", but the two are not automatically related, and having doubts about a room the size and design of the studios does not mean that someone lacks either quality. It could be a case where size truly does matter.:rolleyes: Until the actual prices are revealed, most of our discussions are purely academic.

From my TA:

Regarding your question for the Epic sailing on Nov. 20th, the single occupancy rate for an Inside Studio is $1,575.84. This price includes port charges and government taxes/fees. We still have the promotional space available with the $100 Shipboard Credit and Wine.

But that's what the poll is about and what the discussion is about.

True, but I was reacting to people saying you "have to" share. The post I was quoting was talking about overall trends in freestyle. We can discuss here the pros and cons of the arrangement, but it is not accurate to say you "have to" have that arrangement.

Of course people go there. That's why it's so crowded. But enough people won't to keep the other restaurants onboard doing a booming business.

And that's exactly how it is on the NCL ships.

Blue skies ...

--rita

How many of your 10K posts are whines about cruises you haven't been on? You have zero NCL cruises on your sig file. Why not just go back to the HAL forum where youre happy, and take your smug attitude with you? I have 5 pages more to read. How many more of your uninformedposts on crusies you havent sailed?

I just got back from an NCL cruise. The upsells were everywhere. The lines in the free restaurants were short or nonexistent, and the food was good but not seven star in the free restaurants and a bit better in the fee restaurants.

• 7 months later...

As a solo traveler, I am intrigued by the concept of plentiful solo rooms; there seems to be lots of potential benefit for the cruiser and the cruise line if the system is managed properly. I love the idea of saving money and I don't need a lot of room. At the same time, I can appreciate the potential problems mentioned in other posts: noise, too much partying and rowdiness in the hallways, lack of storage space, etc. So, I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out and keep reading the CC reviews.

I am confused about something. I understood that the idea of the studios was to offer a reasonably priced accommodation for solo cruisers--a small room for solo travelers with no single supplement. Yet, some of these posts mention putting two people in them and charging a supplement for single travelers. Will there be a single supplement or not? Can anyone clear this up for me?

I am confused about something. I understood that the idea of the studios was to offer a reasonably priced accommodation for solo cruisers--a small room for solo travelers with no single supplement. Yet, some of these posts mention putting two people in them and charging a supplement for single travelers. Will there be a single supplement or not? Can anyone clear this up for me?

NCL just updated the pricing on the Studios this week to focus on solo passengers. Up until this week they had a full supplement. There is no single supplement anymore but the pp prices are slightly higher but the price to book solo much lower.

They can still be booked double occupancy if someone wants but it would be more then a regular inside.

• 4 months later...

As a frequent solo traveler, I really, really appreciate that a major cruise line is offering a cabin that I can buy as a solo traveler. When I cruise alone in a regular cabin, I still have to pay for two people! These cabins can be booked for the cost of one person only - fantastic! I would rather tolerate 30 fewer square feet than pay double.

Okay,so now they are marketed for solo travellers, so why do you need a separate sink and shower set up? I think their plan really backfired as these were planned for 2 passengers. Also, looking at the bed layout, I feel sorry for the cabin stewards trying to make up the beds. I used to have a bed that fit in an alcove and I had to pull it out every week to change the sheets. UGH!!

• 1 year later...

The only negative thing I could say is "why didn't someone offer this sooner?" Heck, my signature would be a lot longer if there were reasonably priced single cabins available after my divorce!! I never could quite bring myself to spend essentially double just to take a cruise, so unfortunately never did.

I've since remarried, so it's a non-issue for me now...

• 11 months later...

Well....I have booked myself one of these teeny weeny cabins! I am going on Epic next June with ten other family members but I am the eleventh...so have opted for one. it has cost me £682 for a seven night cruise with $50 obc!

I will let you now when I come back how it is!!!!!

Sorry, but while we're reviving threads that are more than a year old . . .

Well....I have booked myself one of these teeny weeny cabins! I am going on Epic next June with ten other family members but I am the eleventh...so have opted for one. it has cost me £682 for a seven night cruise with $50 obc!

I will let you now when I come back how it is!!!!!

I don't get why people think that the Studio Cabins are "teeny weeny". :confused:

An Inside Cabin on the Epic is 128 sq ft. It has one bathroom. Each occupant sleeps on what is basically a twin bed. That means that the two people inside each get 64 sq ft of living space and they have to share a bathroom.

A Studio Cabin on the Epic is 100 sq ft. It also has one bathroom. The occupant gets to sleep on a bed that is double the size of what a passenger sharing a cabin would get. Also, the ONE occupant then gets the ENTIRE 100 sq ft of living space and they get the bathroom to themselves.

So, to have a private bathroom, two times the normal sleeping area, and an extra 36 sq ft of space (per person) hardly seems to justify labeling it "teeny weeny".

Sorry, but while we're reviving threads that are more than a year old . . .

I don't get why people think that the Studio Cabins are "teeny weeny". :confused:

An Inside Cabin on the Epic is 128 sq ft. It has one bathroom. Each occupant sleeps on what is basically a twin bed. That means that the two people inside each get 64 sq ft of living space and they have to share a bathroom.

A Studio Cabin on the Epic is 100 sq ft. It also has one bathroom. The occupant gets to sleep on a bed that is double the size of what a passenger sharing a cabin would get. Also, the ONE occupant then gets the ENTIRE 100 sq ft of living space and they get the bathroom to themselves.

So, to have a private bathroom, two times the normal sleeping area, and an extra 36 sq ft of space (per person) hardly seems to justify labeling it "teeny weeny".

Agree 100% + I sailed in a solo in March 2011. Size was perfect but price was fantastic. Great Bathroom, Great steward, great TV-Phone system..Unbelievably comfy bed, lay sideways and watch TV, Met 70-100 people in studio lounge, had dinners with, went on excursions with,

This concept brings new meaning to the term solo traveler. No longer do we have to feel like we are alone, and make excuses that we like to travel this way, although for many reasons we do.

Now, If we want to be alone ...we can do dat.:rolleyes: If we want to be social....we do dat 2.:rolleyes:

Kudos NCL, and I booked a solo on the Breakaway for next June;),

Kev:cool:

I'm booked in a solo studio on the Epic in December -- I just noticed this thread. It's pretty funny to read it now! I haven't experienced it yet but all the reviews I've read have been great. I booked it because I was tired of trying to find someone to share with, and the setup on the Epic pretty much ensures that I don't have to eat/tour/hang out by myself if I don't want to (I actually enjoy quiet time for reading, enjoying the spa, etc.). So the "Living Room" was actually a selling point for me (although I don't know how much time I'd actually spend in there). The funny thing is, I've met so many people already in my roll call (solos and otherwise) that my schedule may be too packed to make any plans with the new solo travelers I'll meet on board!

If you look at my signature you will see that I spent 20 days on the Epic last October and will be on again for another 20 days this October. Love the Studios and the Lounge. Other than the 21 days on the Pearl doing the Panama Canal Solo (on my bucket list) all the others were with someone. Paying double sucks.

Agree 100% + I sailed in a solo in March 2011. Size was perfect but price was fantastic. Great Bathroom, Great steward, great TV-Phone system..Unbelievably comfy bed, lay sideways and watch TV, Met 70-100 people in studio lounge, had dinners with, went on excursions with,

This concept brings new meaning to the term solo traveler. No longer do we have to feel like we are alone, and make excuses that we like to travel this way, although for many reasons we do.

Now, If we want to be alone ...we can do dat.:rolleyes: If we want to be social....we do dat 2.:rolleyes:

Kudos NCL, and I booked a solo on the Breakaway for next June;),

Kev:cool:

I agree with you - I have been in the studios twice - love them... Love saving money - and love the whole concept....

• 5 months later...
who would book that - ?

let me know when NCL has come down to $149.00 to $299.00 (depending on # of days) for these spaces ......

I then may reconsider .....

in the meantime, there are certainly other options without any hoopla - but realistic value ..

Just thought I'd bring this post down here:

I stayed in one of these "holes" in November and I loved it! It was the perfect size for me, and I didn't feel cramped at all. Then, when you take into account the fact that you have a solo director who is there to help you meet the other solo travelers and arrange dinners and the like, I fully believe that staying in the studios was worth every penny I paid.

In fact, I loved it so much that I'm doing it again! :D

I have booked a studio & will be sailing on 1/26. I have watched a TON of clips on youtube about them & they sound like they will be fine. I will admit, w/o the studios & not getting hit the extra $$ to be solo. I would have NEVER paid for a cruise otherwise.

We leave in 10 days I will let you know my opinion!

who would book that - ?

let me know when NCL has come down to $149.00 to $299.00 (depending on # of days) for these spaces ......

I then may reconsider .....

in the meantime, there are certainly other options without any hoopla - but realistic value ..

I, for one, have been in a studio for 40 days in the last two years and have 35 days booked for this year. I don't think that someone who does not have an NCL cruise in their signature should be making these comments.

I cant wait for my turn! I will find out next november! But I have no concerns about the space, as I dont spend a lot of time in there. I have a feeling that my cruise after that will either be on Epic again when the itin changes, or on Breakaway! I cant wait!:)

Archived