Does Grand Cayman Still Have Big Black Dick Rum?

redneck boatrider

Oh no! Is the Blackbeards rum the same?

Even if it is, it doesn't have the *charm* of Big, Black Dick.:o:(

OMG that is too funny, not sure how to take that one, the same 'charm' LOL.....I wonder who named that rum, someone with a big......ego!!!

So if you get duty free you are basically 'hoping' it does get delivered to the ship and you don't find out until the last night when it should be delivered to your cabin.....I wonder if anyone has ever had any troubles? I guess anything is possible.

Had this problem but its a DCL problem. No place within walking distance will sell to you at the port, they say they will deliver to your ship. But they don't deliver to DCL b/c DCL won't accept deliveries.

I wrote on DCL comment card the least they could do was warn pax of this catch-22 and start carrying some Grand Cayman specific rums, like Tortuga flavors hard to find and Blackbeards, for purchase onboard.

I just got back from there June 1 and they do still sell the Big Black Dick Rum. I think I saw coconut, but maybe it was a rum cake I remember as coconut. We saw it in a couple of the shops for sale but it does have to be delivered to the ship. The thing is if you have beach bag or whatever, could you not put it in there and get it back to the ship? They did not search our bags when we got back on the ship, but maybe not good to chance it. There were a lot of folks that bought the BBD, several cases of it were lined up where we took the water taxi back to the ship. The local beer was also great, Caybrew or some such it is called.

I just got back from there June 1 and they do still sell the Big Black Dick Rum. I think I saw coconut, but maybe it was a rum cake I remember as coconut. We saw it in a couple of the shops for sale but it does have to be delivered to the ship. The thing is if you have beach bag or whatever, could you not put it in there and get it back to the ship? They did not search our bags when we got back on the ship, but maybe not good to chance it. There were a lot of folks that bought the BBD, several cases of it were lined up where we took the water taxi back to the ship. The local beer was also great, Caybrew or some such it is called.

Good to know about the beer. I'll have to give it a try in October.

As far as bringing the rum in a beach bag, the worst that can happen is they keep it until the last night of the cruise.

I know plenty of people that have smuggled Big Black Dick's and were able to enjoy it for the rest of the cruise.

Just remember, if you buy the alcohol and take it with you out of the store (ie. put in it your beach bag) then you will pay a higher price for it. Duty Free prices only apply if you have the alcohol delivered to the ship.

We just got back from Grand Cayman on May 28th and I visited several stores who were advertising the Big Black Dick Rum. Only the "4 sample bottle" boxes were available for about $15. It included coconut, light, dark, and vanilla. All the store clerks said that they had discontinued the brand. The Blackbeards liquor store had local "Blackbeard" rums in all 4 of those flavors though which I bought. They cost $8.50 per bottle.

A

We just got back from Grand Cayman on May 28th and I visited several stores who were advertising the Big Black Dick Rum. Only the "4 sample bottle" boxes were available for about $15. It included coconut, light, dark, and vanilla. All the store clerks said that they had discontinued the brand. The Blackbeards liquor store had local "Blackbeard" rums in all 4 of those flavors though which I bought. They cost $8.50 per bottle.

A

We bought it as well. Each bottle came with a free, large rum cake!:)

• 2 months later...

I want to go and get some of this rum when we are there in Dec. The problem is, we are booked for the RRR through Nativeway and as all would know, that is an all day tour. Does anyone think that I would have enough time to get to these stores and get some before the last tender or could it be done PRIOR to the tours?

Gotta get me some BBD!!!!!:D

Thanks for any advise or tips. :)

• 4 months later...
Yes, they still have Big Black Dick rum in large bottles. I just picked up 1 light, 1 dark and 1 coconut on January 7th. And to top it off they gave a free $20.00 large rum cake which is absoltely delicious.

Where at?

Where at?

We got ours at a T-shirt shop across the street from Kirk Freeport on Cardinal. I can't remember the name of the shop, which was downstairs from street level and the alcohol section was in the back. We also got a free rum cake with our purchase, but they won't give you the BBD there - they deliver it to your ship.

We bought BBD and Blackbeard's rum, 3 liter bottles for $30, or there about.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this may sound like a stupid question, but I have not seen it on the threads. I want to purchase some BBD, but I am curious as to how many bottles of liquor you can bring back into the states duty free. It will be my dh and I. Also, can you still bring more than that and if so is the tax you pay on it excessive?

Ok, this may sound like a stupid question, but I have not seen it on the threads. I want to purchase some BBD, but I am curious as to how many bottles of liquor you can bring back into the states duty free. It will be my dh and I. Also, can you still bring more than that and if so is the tax you pay on it excessive?

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/kbyg_regulations.ctt/kbyg_regulations.pdf

It's complicated, or not, depending upon your circumstances. It is either one liter, two liters, 150 milliliters, or five liters per adult over age 21 provided it is for personal or household use or to give as a gift. It cannot be for business resale. You must bring the purchases back with you (ie may not have them shipped home by the merchant). Special regulations apply to importation of Absinthe.

If you have not been out of the country in the last thirty days:

Each adult over the age of 21 can bring back one liter of alcoholic beverages duty free, regardless of where that alcoholic beverage was produced if they have not been out of the United States and used this exemption in the last 30 days.

Most travelers over the age of 21 can bring two liters of alcoholic beverages back into the United States duty free provided that at least one liter must have been produced in one of the Caribbean Basin or Andean countries specified in the list on the Know Before You Go brochure linked above. See page 14. Note that the Cayman Islands is not listed as a qualifying country. Many other regional countries are listed.

A couple may file a joint customs declaration and combine their allowances providing for a maximum of four liters for two adults, regardless of who actually purchased them. This assumes that at least two of the liters were produced in a qualifying Caribbean Basin or Andean country.

Your absence from the United States must be longer than 48 hours to use your exemption (except for trips to Mexico and the US Virgin Islands).

If you have been out of the country in the last thirty days:

If you have used your duty free exemption in the last thirty days then each qualifying adult over age 21 can only bring in 5 ounces (150ml) of alcoholic beverages duty free. They may not combine allowances.

If you had an international trip in the last thirty days but did not use your duty free exemption then this section does not apply to you.

If you are returning directly or indirectly from the US Virgin Islands or other Insular Possession of the United States:

Each adult over age 21 may bring back five liters of alcoholic beverages duty free. At least one of those liters must be a product of an Insular Possession of the United States (US Virgin Islands, Guam, or American Samoa).

If you bring back more than your duty free exemption:

A flat duty rate of 1.5% applies to the first $1000 of imports in excess of your duty free allowance from US Insular Possessions. A flat duty rate of 3.0% applies to the first $1000 of imports in excess of your duty free allowance from all other countries unless a higher duty rate is specified. Any applicable Internal Revenue Service Tax is above and beyond these flat duty rates. Household members may combine allowances so a couple would pay duty at the flat rate on the first $2000 of imports in excess of the duty free allowances.

Higher duty rates of 100% apply for certain products of certain countries.

"Currently, the United States has imposed a 100 percent rate of duty on certain products of Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, The Federal Republic of Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the Ukraine." This applies to purchases in excess of your personal duty exemption.

I do not know if alcoholic beverages are among the certain products of these countries subject to a 100% duty rate. Some popular liquors are products of these countries such as Absolut vodka (Sweden), or Finlandia vodka (Finland).

Example: A couple purchase six liters of Jamaican rum at $12 each, two liters of French champagne at $40 each and two liters of Jack Daniel's whisky at $10 each during a Western Caribbean cruise which stops in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Ocho Rios. They file a combined customs declaration upon reentry to the United States.

Items subject to the highest rate of duty are placed under the exemption first. That is the French Champagne. Those two liters enter duty free. The Jamaican rum is a product of a Caribbean basin or Andean country. Two liters of Jamaican rum enter duty free. Duty is owed, at a rate of 3.0%, of the remaining four liters of Jamaican rum (cost 4 x $12 = $48) and the two liters of Jack Daniel's (cost 2 x $10 = $20). Duty of 3.0% on a total of $68 is $2.04. Any applicable Internal Revenue Service tax is additional.

I got some last month, and not terribly impressed with it. So far, I've only opened the bottle of light rum, I'll try the dark next. I did notice the following fine print on the bottle: Rum distilled in the Caribbean. Bottled in the Netherlands. So...it's not Cayman rum, else it would say that. It may be a blend of leftover rums from other islands. The Blackbeard rum does say that it was distilled on Grand Cayman, and in my opinion it tastes much better.

But...if you want the best Cayman rum, consider 7 Fathoms. It's a relatively new, boutique rum, distilled on the island from organically-grown local sugar cane. After filling the cask (former Jim Beam casks), it is staked to the bottom of the ocean (7 fathoms down, presumably). There, the motion of the ocean combined with the changes in pressure due to the tides, makes the rum interact well with the oak. The result is exceptional.

To find 7 Fathoms, turn left after you get off the tender dock. Walk about 3 blocks, look for a bar on the left named Hammerhead's Brew Pub. They sell 7 Fathoms there, either to drink or in a bottle ($40). You can also get a free distillery tour (it's basically two rooms) and learn more than you ever wanted to know about rum. The distiller himself (Eric Watson) conducted the tour and autographed the bottles.

They do NOT send them to your ship, you take the bottle with you. And as a side note for all you rum smugglers, if you buy a bottle and put it in a backpack with your laptop, the xray guys see your laptop but not the bottle, so they don't ask you for it when you get back to the ship. This may also be because of the cork top rather than a metal top, although they did find and confiscate my wife's bottle.

For more info, look at my web site for my recent Freedom of the Seas review for Grand Cayman, which includes a photo of the bar and the distillery.

• 9 months later...

Just got back from cruise on Celebrity Eclipse, bought a bottle of BBD cocoanut rum. Problem came last night of cruise, it was never delivered to my stateroom. Went to guest relations and after some calls it was never delivered to the ship from Blackbeard's Duty Free. So now have to dispute the charge on my credit card.

• 4 months later...

Yes, the Big Black Dick Rums are still available in Grand Cayman. There are 4 flavours Dark, Light, Coconut and Vanilla. Coconut and Vanilla are great as sipping rums and also delicious over vanilla ice cream!!

There are 2 new items being added to this range, should be in Grand Cayman by the end of the summer ready for the winter season!!!

Enjoy.

If you are coming to Grand Cayman and you wish to purchase this product I can help!

Archived