Aft Balcony Question

I am looking at booking an aft balcony cabin on the recently refurbished Sensation. Can anyone provide any feedback on those cabins. I have heard that aft rooms are over the engines, but I can't find any maps to support where the engines are on the boat. Also, I have heard that the aft rooms can smell and end up with soot on the balconies. Any feedback on this?

Also, from the photos I have seen, it looks like the Sensation aft balconies have overhangs such that the decks above you cannot see you (as they can on some boats) and that they have full dividers so that your neighbors can't lean over and see you (again as I have seen on some boats). Can anyone who has sailed the Sensation in the last month and a half verify this?

I am looking to book my very first cruise and this is my first post on the boards, so I really appreciate any feedback you can provide! THANKS!!!

Hello: We had an aft balcony on the Miracle and did not experience any of the negatives you mentioned. No bad smell, soot or engine noise. The balcony and cabin were decent sized and fit 3 people very comfortably. I just booked on the Pride and tried to get another aft balcony, but they were already taken so ended up mid ship with a balcony. The dividers between balconies were swinging translucent doors which could be opened (as in if there were a family of 4). You could look over on your neighbor's balcony if you really wanted to, but we didn't and neither did our neighbors.

Hope that helps.

They will hose the balconies down at night so I would not leave anything out there to dry. We did not have any problems with soot and we had an aft balcony on the Veranda (Valor). I am not sure if they hose them down or it was run off from hosing down the lido deck.

The aft balconies are a little bigger depth wise.

Just off the Miracle today. We did have soot on our balcony (aft, 5270) just about every day. Privacy was not a problem; lack of shade was on a few days. Also had a used condom dropped onto our balcony from above (not sure that would happen with a regular balcony). We probably won't do an aft again, though there are plenty of people on the boards who will line up to take our spot!

I guess we were lucky and didn't have any problems on the Valor. We have seen where we have been and in December, we will see where we are going (Bow of ship). The aft room was very nice and the balcony. It was wet in the morning but nothing else. We were right below the lido deck and I believe the closed end of the lido so no one could throw stuff down. Below us, we could see the other levels of balconies. Just have to be careful what level.

2448282050_31963e07b6_m.jpg

2448283402_c3c1a751a6_m.jpg

2447457009_db02f50347_m.jpg

After sailing for 49 days in an aft balcony on the Splendor I can say this:

1. You may feel vibrations while arriving and departing a port.

2. Some days the soot will be eveident while on others it won't be. Don't wear white. Use a towel in the seats to just make sure you don't get it on you.

3. The privacy will depend on your neighbors. If they get next to divider yes they can see but most won't as they don't want you to be nosey either.

4. AFT BALCONIES ARE GREAT!!!

I was on the Sensation in an Aft balcony last week. It was great! They are nice and large. They are fully covered by an overhang but we still got plenty of sunshine out there. I have some pics I will upload tonight. There was no sofa in the room but I did not even notice it missing. What was weird though was that the bed was pushed together but the wteward left the twin sheet sets and comforters on so it was not really a king. he did that with my BIL's room too.

There was enough room for a full lounger out there if you were brave enough to try to bring one down, we did not bother. we had E255 and E257, we had the divider opened up which took up 1/2 of our balcony so I would most likely not do that again. The dividers open out to the railing and not in to the wall since the balcony divider wall is not flush with the ship.

We felt a lot of motion in the back which was odd since we never have felt it in the larger ships in the back. However there was not that much noise and overall I would get one again.

Hope this helps.

Main deck, you might feel the vibration, we did. On other ships, the balconys start on higher decks than on Sensation, so thats why you never hear that its an issue, but I would think you could feel them aft on Sensation on Main deck.

the above poster who didnt feel any vibration, note they said they were on Empress deck.

I was surprised myself that balconys on Sensation start on such a low deck.

When I was on the Sensation, I stood on the deck right below those balconies (I think it was outside the sushi area) and could see all the way into the room (they had the balcony doors open.) :eek: Yup, saw more than I wanted and I was not straining to see, I just glanced up. So I guess be sure to keep your door and curtains closed while changing.

I'm looking at booking my next trip and am thinking aft is the way to go. What's the dif between an 8G and a 9A? 9A has the wrap, I know that, but what about the room? It looks like it may be an odd shape. Anyone have experience? I know you have opinions! :D

I was on the Sensation in an Aft balcony last week. It was great! They are nice and large. They are fully covered by an overhang but we still got plenty of sunshine out there. I have some pics I will upload tonight. There was no sofa in the room but I did not even notice it missing. What was weird though was that the bed was pushed together but the wteward left the twin sheet sets and comforters on so it was not really a king. he did that with my BIL's room too.

There was enough room for a full lounger out there if you were brave enough to try to bring one down, we did not bother. we had E255 and E257, we had the divider opened up which took up 1/2 of our balcony so I would most likely not do that again. The dividers open out to the railing and not in to the wall since the balcony divider wall is not flush with the ship.

We felt a lot of motion in the back which was odd since we never have felt it in the larger ships in the back. However there was not that much noise and overall I would get one again.

Hope this helps.

We have an aft balcony on the Sensation booked for a cruise in May. Last April we were in an aft balcony on the Crown Princess and absolutely loved it. There's nothing more relaxing than looking out at the wake. You feel like you're all by yourself on the ship.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

• 3 years later...
Trying to find out if the aft balconies or ANY of the standard balcony cabins on Sensation have a couch/loveseat in them? Cannot find info anywhere...

Thanks.

Ann

If there are amenities in a stateroom the Carnival site will list it: http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-sensation.aspx

of the few I've clicked on, it does not look like there is a couch.

Archived