Has Anyone Else Noticed???

spencercoop

I cruise on both lines a fair amount. Five times last year alone. That was 4 on RCL and 1 on CCL. I leave next Friday for a cruise on the Glory. Then and in July as well. I am fine with either line. Given a choice I do love the Royal Promanades on the Voyager class ships but I have no isues with Carinval..... In looking for a cruise for next week I had to choose between the Independance in Miami or the Glory in Port Canaveral.

For me I had wanted the Indy but it could not come close to the Glory as far as value is concerned. For two in a balcony it was actually half as much sail Glory..... Half is a large amout of consideration. Additionally, from where I live Port Canaveral is a 7 hour drive. Miami is two plane tickets...

My question would be this...... If I am noticing this and making my choices accordingly.... How many others are doing the same thing. That might exsplain the differances in stock prices....

I have never sailed RCL but I know the money I have needs to go along way. I will spend less and get a great product on CCL. As for Stocks. ccl is much bigger and in better shape than RCL. They are now questioning if they can get money to pay for the two big ships now being build. I would not buy stock in a company that is about to drop 1 billion on a ship and has an order for another just like it. I think they may need a new CEO. Saying that he would rather have his ships leave with empty cabins is a nut job statement. Empty cabins do not gamble, buy pictures, buy things from shops on board, I have not seen a cabin sitting at the bar drinking....I never have seen a cabin leave the ship on RCl trip....$$$. Well maybe it is better empty.....

We're booking our second cruise (first cruise was carnival) and royal carribean is much more expensive than carnival, especially since we'd get past guest rates on carnival.

I think the cruises we were looking at were $699pp inside room on royal carribean, and $429pp inside room on carnival. that's a significant difference

i dont mind skipping a "more elegant" ship to have better food. we loved the food and entertainment on our last cruise, and dont really see a need to pay $500 more

We are also one of those crossovers. We have sailed twice on RC and loved it. We already had planned to book with Royal for this year on the Mariner. Then I just happened to check out Carnival and I noticed the huge price difference. In the end MONEY TALKS and we are now booked on Carnival Splendor. Again I couldn't justify paying $400 extra just to say "I"m cruising with Royal Carribean". That $400 I just saved went to my next 5 night cruise on Carnival Elation. So let me see..... ONE cruise on Royal.... OR 2 cruises on Carnival. Not a difficult decision.:confused::D

Though many will disagree with me' date=' Carnival and RCI are basically the same product. Carnival just charges less.

Besides, RCI has that big new fancy ship to pay for. ;)[/quote']

LOL

Rock wall, ice skating rink, Royal Promenade, flow-rider, Kroze Klowns, in-room baby sitting, soon to be Aquatheatre, zip line, carousel, Central Park, Boardwalk, better crew to passenger ratio to name just a few. Oh I forget, RCCL has Vicki Freed.

Carnival has a great product for the money but the same? Royal Caribbean gets more money because people are willing to pay for a better product. Believe me RCCL is not hurting for passengers anymore than any other mass market line.

LOL

Rock wall, ice skating rink, Royal Promenade, flow-rider, Kroze Klowns, in-room baby sitting, soon to be Aquatheatre, zip line, carousel, Central Park, Boardwalk, better crew to passenger ratio to name just a few. Oh I forget, RCCL has Vicki Freed.

Carnival has a great product for the money but the same? Royal Caribbean gets more money because people are willing to pay for a better product. Believe me RCCL is not hurting for passengers anymore than any other mass market line.

I guess there is no way to explain this then.

S&P lowered Royal Caribbean's rating to "BB-" from "BB" and lowered its issue-level ratings on the company's debt one notch. The rating outlook is negative.

The rating agency said the downgrade is based on the Royal Caribbean's recently revised expectations, which project larger-than-expected revenue declines. The negative outlook also reflects the company's need to pay for the delivery of the scheduled delivery of two ships, one for which S&P anticipates it will struggle to find the necessary $1 billion.

S&P also lowered its long-term corporate credit rating on Carnival Corp. to "BBB+" from "A-" based on Carnival's recently revised forecast, which projects revenue declines of 16 to 18 percent, lower than the previously anticipated loss of 11 to 15 percent.

Dan

I can't speak for others, but here's how I feel:

Rock wall

Don't care.

ice skating rink

Don't care

Royal Promenade

I'd like this

flow-rider

Don't care.

Kroze Klowns

Don't care

in-room baby sitting

Actually a negative. Why would I let a stranger sit alone with my child in our cabin?

Aquatheatre

Don't care.

zip line

Don't care.

carousel

DOn't care.

Central Park

Might like this.

Boardwalk

Don't care.

better crew to passenger ratio

I'm doubtful of this, but I have never had a problem on CCL, so I don't care.

people are willing to pay for a better product.

Read the industry statistics and compare the financials of the companies involved. Apparently they're NOT willing to spend more for RCCL, whether it's a better product or not. Further, "better" is completely subjective.

I can't speak for others, but here's how I feel:

You missed my point. I was merely objectively pointing out they are not the "same" as was suggested and I said nothing about their financials. RCCL is rated the #1 family cruise line, even over Disney. The current financials has little to do with passengers willing to pay more for one vs the other and more to do with financing their current debt. The latest info. is that the financing for the Oasis class ships is well on its way to be resolved.

On a purely objective basis assuming RCCL can survive this recession, which is likely, they will be extremely well positioned. Carnival is well positioned to survive this recession due to their cash position but they are also having to heavily discount to attract passengers. Going foward,Carnival will continue to do well also, serving its market.

You missed my point. I was merely objectively pointing out they are not the "same" as was suggested and I said nothing about their financials. RCCL is rated the #1 family cruise line, even over Disney. The current financials has little to do with passengers willing to pay more for one vs the other and more to do with financing their current debt. The latest info. is that the financing for the Oasis class ships is well on its way to be resolved.

The drop in RCL's credit rating I posted above was Friday. I'd call the fairly current information.

And this from an industry publication, TODAY!

Standard & Poors reduced Royal Caribbean's from BB to BB- again citing net yield declines based on what was happening in the market. The worry is that in the current economic decline Royal Caribbean may not be able to fill its ships at revenue levels that will allow a reasonable return, as well as the concern that it will need to finance another $1 billion for the Allure of the Seas, while financing for the Oasis of the Seas is still not yet in place.

I want RCL to weather this economy, they meet a certain type of cruising desire for us better than CCL does. Most times we choose CCL, but there are RCL cruises that are right for us.

But they are near shallow water.

Dan

LOL

Instead of all this wouldn't you rather have: great steaks that you don't have to pay for, room service at 2am for free (if you want it), bigger cabins, better food, and more and still get a better price???

On a purely objective basis assuming RCCL can survive this recession, which is likely, they will be extremely well positioned. Carnival is well positioned to survive this recession due to their cash position but they are also having to heavily discount to attract passengers. Going foward,Carnival will continue to do well also, serving its market.

That is not correct. Porthole Magazine rated Disney Cruise Line as the most family oriented line.

To be honest, I have never sailed on Carnival. Have cruised RC, NCL and Celebrity, but never Carnival. Hate to say it, but Carnival was known as the "no frills" cruise line with terrible food and more of cruise for young people. This year, we are going with Carnival, since this time we are taking our 2 teenagers with us and with the economy the way it is, we were happy with the lower price. My husband and I are in our mid 40's. I thank you all for posting your comments, because after reading what you all wrote, it seems as if Carnival is as good if not better than RCL and I am excited to compare the two. I have been getting great feedback on CCL - better than I heard it was years ago. I heard the food on Royal has gone downhill. Also heard that although Royal offers a rock climbing wall, you have to wait in long lines to use it. I think there will be plenty for my teens to do on the Carnival Valor and I look forward to posting my end result!

To be honest, I have never sailed on Carnival. Have cruised RC, NCL and Celebrity, but never Carnival. Hate to say it, but Carnival was known as the "no frills" cruise line with terrible food and more of cruise for young people. This year, we are going with Carnival, since this time we are taking our 2 teenagers with us and with the economy the way it is, we were happy with the lower price. My husband and I are in our mid 40's. I thank you all for posting your comments, because after reading what you all wrote, it seems as if Carnival is as good if not better than RCL and I am excited to compare the two. I have been getting great feedback on CCL - better than I heard it was years ago. I heard the food on Royal has gone downhill. Also heard that although Royal offers a rock climbing wall, you have to wait in long lines to use it. I think there will be plenty for my teens to do on the Carnival Valor and I look forward to posting my end result!

Some people have also said that the rock climbing was only open 2 to 3 times through their whole cruise.

Well I just read about another cut RCCL has made. It is make cuts to their loyal members. I don't think that is a good move for them.

It might be a good move for Carnival becuase they might start coming to Carnival to see where the fun really is!:D

I really wish Carnival would do a press release with the number of people that have switched from RCCL to Carnival. I know they don't know them all, but I kinda wish they would ask if you have switched from RCCL. I bet it would be a lot. On this board alone there have been so many.

But I know it isn't going to happen.

Anyone want to make an estimate???

value is a big part (if not THE biggest part) of the decision making process when booking a cruise. Overall many cruise lines offer a very similar product and if there is more perceived value by going on CCL rather than RC then many cruisers will make a change. We are trying CCL for the first time next month...not b/c of cost cutting at RC, but b/c they abandoned the Baja routes all together.

I will be very interested to read the reviews of those who jumped ship!

While I've never sailed on RCI, I don't want to see them go out of business, nor do i want to see them gobbled up by CCL. Competition is good for all of us.

I have been wanting to try RCCL for a while now, I just haven't found the right sailing. There is no ship, no matter how many bells and whistles, that I will pay a significant premium to sail on. I have sailed Princess twice and enjoyed both of those cruises, for different reasons than I enjoy Carnival. I would cruise them again in a heartbeat, though my preference is with Carnival.

I am definitely very interested in following the story, as it's playing out to be two core theories of supply and demand - do you price high with lower volume, or price low with higher volume?

Very curious to see how it plays out!

Archived