Barcelona

cheesetu

We're booked for a TA cruise at the end of November that starts in Barcelona and are trying to decide if and how early we might want to fly in. Any feedback you can provide on the city would be greatly appreciated.

We were in Barcelona a couple of years ago and LOVED that city. It is absolutly beautiful and the people friendly. Easy to navigate by bus and subway which we used. We flew in a day before our cruise and wish we had a couple of more days. Great resturaunts and architecture everywhere. The transatlantic flight from Newark got in @7:45 Spain time and gave us a full day to explore. Montserrant is a great trip but will fill most of the day because of its location outside the city. Also there is a locale that is an artist village set up for the Olympics that also is a fabulous attraction. We are going back this year for a stop and in 2010 as an embarcation point for our upcoming cruise. Then we will definatly try to leave a couple of days early to stay and explore in Barcelona. Wishing you and yours a wonderful trip.:D

I'm pretty tired of Barcelona since we live so close and there's such a hype about it but I agree it's a great city to visit with lots of really interesting places to visit - I agree 3/4 days. I'm also doing a cruise this summer departing from there but won't really be spending any night there, just the first day (if our plane arrives on schedule, ie at 9 am).

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!

we went on a meditteranean cruise for our honeymoon and left 2 days early so we could see Barcelona.

GREAT CITY! just tons of stuff to do and see!!!

if you love art or architecture this is the place!

it was right up there with Rome and Florence for me (though obviously a totally different kind of art and architecture ;) )

plus i ALWAYS suggest arriving a day early if it is within your budget and schedule. the last thing you want is flight delays and missing the boat :eek:

for all three of our cruises we have flown in early. for our first two it meant we got to explore awesome places like San Juan and Puerto Rico and this past cruise it just meant a night in a hotel in Miami.

We did a TA cruise last November from Barcelona to NY, we're from Seattle. We flew out a day early, got into Barcelona around 8 or 9am, and crashed in our hotel for about 3 hours. I find it's helpful to go out at least a day early to deal with the jet lag, make sure you don't miss the ship due to any flight problems, as well as to see the city. We were able to squeeze in quite a bit of sightseeing, but another day would have been nicer (we're always on a budget!). We're going to be doing a repositioning cruise this Nov. from Istanbul to Barcelona and may stay an extra day in Barcelona. You have have a blast!:D

We're going to be doing a repositioning cruise this Nov. from Istanbul to Barcelona and may stay an extra day in Barcelona. You have have a blast!:D

Have you decided on that DrCindy? I know you had a issue with flights. Did you find something good?

John

Our next cruise starts in Barcelona...it will be my fifth visit...We're staying three nights pre-cruise...

First of all...my rule for ANY cruise is to fly in at least a day before...but for European cruises, at least TWO days--minimum...and that's before we get to things to see and do...

Reasons:

1) Jet lag and fatigue from the flight over...

2) You are going to be "way off" mentally with multiple time zone changes...

3) Insurance against flight delays, missed connections, lost luggage and other travel issues...

Okay, now let's talk Barcelona...It's a great city for tourists...it's got a lot of everything...

First, what to see:

Architecture: Antoni Gaudi is my architectural hero...he was a mad genius and Barcelona was his home. The Sagrada Familia, Gaudi's yet unfinished cathedral is, in my opinion, the single most fascinating building in the world. Without question. Gaudi's Parc Guell, Casa Batllo, Casa Mila are all on the "don't miss" list...

Art: The Picasso Museum, the Fundaccion Joan Miro and more...

Culture: Stroll on Las Ramblas, Barcelona's great pedestrian promenade, hang out at night at the Placa Catalunya.

Food: Everywhere you go...Paella, Tapas, more...

Overall, it's a city you can just hang out in, roam around, breathe it in...

Barcelona is a fairly unique city...Wide boulevards in parts, narrow alleys in others...both modern and old...In a lot of ways, it is more "European" than typically Spanish...Barcelonans don't consider themself Spanish...they are fiercely Catalan...

There are also places to go outside of Barcelona if you are there for an extended stay...The mountain Monastery at Montserrat, the Medeival town of Girona, Dali's home town of Figueres...

Bottom line, plan for a few days...get to know and love Barcelona...

Hello,

Barcelona is one of the world's most interesting cities. Hotels can be on the high side so you have to do your research (Tripadvisor is an excellent website).

Barcelona has a tourist bus system that is really outstanding. It is called the bus touristic and there are three lines which take you everywhere. Sit on the top level of the bus, outside. You can get on and off as much as you want to.

Taxis are reasonable but note that they charge extra for luggage. There are all kinds of restaurants in Barcelona including several Mc Donalds. Visit the one near the Sagrada Familia (this is a world famous church designed by Antonio Gaudi). And there are pizza places all over where you can get pizza at a reasonable price. There is also the Hard Rock Cafe on the Placa Catalunya, which is the big downtown square.

The people of Barcelona are friendly and helpful.

Fred

We're booked for a TA cruise at the end of November that starts in Barcelona and are trying to decide if and how early we might want to fly in. Any feedback you can provide on the city would be greatly appreciated.

Everones interest is likely different and will drive a slightly different recommendation, at a minimum I would say you'd want at least two days. Like any major city in the world there is at least two days of top flight attractions, after that your personal interests will dictate whether its more then two days, for some two weeks is not enough in any city :D, for us two days would have been perfect.

Thanks for all your comments. Based on what I've read, I'm defintely thinking of flying in at least 2 days earlier than the cruise line would normally bring me in, unless the difference in air fare for the deviation is ridiculous.

Archived