On Deck for the Cure

Aquarian

Hi everyone, We just were on the Ruby Princess last week and there is an event that I would like to call to everyone's attention. On the second sea day, Princess has a 5k walk to benefit the Susan G. Komen Foundation. For those of you who don't know that name, it is a foundation which was formed to raise money to bring awareness to breast cancer and also to find a cure through research. My husband and I and about 50 other passengers walked around the Ruby Princess on the Promenade Deck 8 times in support of this great organization. We all were given navy ball caps with "On Deck for the Cure" written on them along with the breast cancer pink ribbon symbol. After the walk, we were provided refreshments. To make this even greater, Princess matches every dollar raised during these walks. Our group raised over $1,000! We left our hats on through breakfast and lunch hoping that people would see the hats, inquire about it at passenger services and perhaps make a donation of their own even though they did not walk. My daughter has Stage IV breast cancer so this is near and dear to my heart and has just given me another reason to love Princess Cruise lines. BTW, the Ruby Princess is beautiful and so is her staff.

My husband and I did the walk on the CB last May, they have it on all Princess ships now. Last May I had just finished Chemo and radiation for breast cancer so it was truly important for me to at least try to get through the whole walk. I did with a rest in between and my husband did also. There were about 40 others as well.

Great cause and we will be doing it again on each of the b2b cruise we have booked on the Sapphire in May.

I think it is great cause and good for Princess to support it. having a granddaughter with cancer, I just wish there was as much awareness of pediatric cancer, which is the least funded and least researched of all the cancers.

My 40 year old niece with three small children had a double mastectomy two years ago so I walked and gave her the hat. I donated another $15 so that I could have one too. I did the walk last October on the Crown with a CC friend who was a 15 year survivor of breast cancer that I had met on the roll call. It was a wonderful fulfilling walk, sure hope that they don't stop it.

My best wishes to you and your daughter and all who love her! We did On Deck for the Cure when we sailed with Carnival on 3/15 in memory of my sister-in-law. It is a wonderful thing these cruise lines do, and I hope EVERY

ONE who sees this post takes the time to do the walk. It only a few minutes out of a week of indulgence and fun - and the dollar you raise could be the one that makes the final difference in finding that cure!

I have done this walk twice...this past fall on the CB and last winter on the Emerald....great cause and the walk is a nice way to end the cruise ( both of mine were the last seaday which was also the last day of the cruise)

I really want to do this on the CB next week, however, someone on my roll coll found this page that says the program ends tomorrow. Hope this is not the case:

http://ww5.komen.org/ContentSimpleLeft.aspx?id=14412

I got the impression that the dates given were like their fundraising fiscal year, not a program termination. You'll note that it's a one-year span but right beneath that, it says program has been active for four years.

I got the impression that the dates given were like their fundraising fiscal year, not a program termination. You'll note that it's a one-year span but right beneath that, it says program has been active for four years.

I was thinking that may be the case. :)

Kudos to all of you who have done the walk. I have also done it on past cruises and plan to continue it this year on the Ruby. I really have to give the survivors who take part in these functions great deal of credit. Over the past few years I have also walked in the Relay for Life as well as participated in the Danskin Triathlon that also sponsors Susan G. Komen. The amount of survivors that I have met during those events really does put things in perspective. I really hope that Princess, and all Carnival cruise lines, continue to not only have the Walk, but that there are an over abundance of participants.

This is great! I hope they have it when we are on the Sapphire in August! Those that walked it .. did you find out before going or did you ask people on board for donations?

I've done the Weekend to End Breast Cancer (60km walk) and the CIBC Run for the Cure (1km and 5km walk/run) here in Canada so I'd love to do this with hubby when we are onboard!

Do they do it on the Alaska runs?

thanks

Leigh-Anne

And for those of you who don't want/wish to do actual walking you can just make a donation, get a hat and then cheer on those doing all the hard work. We had a good turnout on the 3/10 Emerald sailing.

I read about this walk in a "sticky" on this board and asked about it. When I got on board the Ruby Princess last week, there was a reference to "On Deck for the Cure" in the Princess Patter. I immediately went to the Purser's Desk or Passengers Services as they now call it, and inquired. They gave me a form to fill out. You can do this walk in honor or a Cancer survivor or patient. I walked in honor of my daughter who will start her second treatment of chemo this Thursday. You may make a minimum donation of $15 to walk or as much money as you would like to donate. If you want to solicit your friends and then donate that money on board, I'm sure they would be happy to take that donation. As I said in my first post, Princess matches all money donated and they do this every week on every ship. I am so impressed with that.

Archived