Should Jewellery match Shoes/Purse?

Is it okay to wear silver jewellery with gold accessories? (see detailed post below)  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay to wear silver jewellery with gold accessories? (see detailed post below)

• Yes - it will look great!
    • No - you need gold jewellery!
    • Other (please explain)

So I recently got a beautiful pair of shiny gold (but not TOO gold) sandals with rhinestones which can be dressed up or down, and I plan on bringing them on my cruise to wear with black outfits as well as a dark purple dress. I'm also going to buy a matching purse (probably a small wristlet or clutch).

My one problem however, is that I do not own any gold jewellery and do not generally like gold either - I prever silver-tone pieces. Would it look okay if I wear a silver necklace and bracelet with my gold accessories?

In general, I do not at all hold to the idea that any and all metallics are neutrals and can be mixed together at all times.

There is no "one size fits all" answer in that regard.

But, since they are gold (but not too gold, so makes me think more pewtery) and the main key here is that is had rhinestones on it - that's different.

The rhinestones are clear/silvery, so have already been mixed.

Jewelry that is more "White Gold-y" would be perfect.

Jewelry that is silvery, but with some diamonds or rhinestones, will be the next best thing.

;):D:cool:

Wow, I just voted and it's exactly 33.3% for each option.

I think there is no hard-and-fast answer. So much depends on the color and style of your clothes and the jewelry.

Don't try to be too "matchy-matchy" - I like the earlier comment that it just needs to "go".

I have found that a two-tone piece often ties everything together.

I love to mix it up a little----wearing both gold and silver can frame each other ( short gold necklace framed by a long silver necklace) rings can also be gold and silver side by side. After selling jewelry for over 9 years with a famous jewelry company I found many women loved wearing their expensive bling mixing & matching. It's just a matter of trying on and finding what looks best with what your wearing. Experiment!!! Have fun!:)

I have a watch that is 2 tone and a bracelet that is two tone too. I agree that every outfit should be looked at individually. That being said I do mix metals a lot because of my two tone pieces.

Wow! So many different opinions! Thanks everyone!

I think I'll just have to try everything on together with different jewellery and see what "goes" best. I'd prefer not to buy any new pieces just for the shoes (and soon-to-be-purse), but we'll see - maybe a cheaper necklace and bracelet... On top of which, my watches are all silver-tone, which doesn't help the situation (although one has rhinestones which would tie into the shoes, right? ;))

I try to match- my wedding set is platinum so I usually wear white-toned metals. I have a few yellow gold items but I never wear just one- if I wear the earrings I wear the ring or the necklace or some combination thereof. I am still looking for a great two-tone piece to tie it all together.

I think gold accessories on your clothes/shoes with only white-toned jewelery would look a little out of place. How about nice black jewelry? (Goes with everything!) I have some black beaded necklaces and black earrings (all cheap costume stuff) that looks very dramatic and elegant for formal night.

I think gold accessories on your clothes/shoes with only white-toned jewelery would look a little out of place. How about nice black jewelry? (Goes with everything!) I have some black beaded necklaces and black earrings (all cheap costume stuff) that looks very dramatic and elegant for formal night.

Black could work (and I do like black necklaces and such), but I think it might look a bit heavy with the light gold shoes/purse.

I've seen some nice (and cheap!) gold bangles around, so maybe I'll get some of those, and perhaps a costume-jewellery necklace as well in gold-tone.

My one big issue is that a dress I got for formal night is purple - it looks great with gold, silver, or black shoes, but I'd love to wear it with silver with a beaded silver bag and rhinestone jewelry, however that would mean I'd have to drag my silver shoes/bag there for that one night. It looks great with the gold shoes as well, but I don't think I'd be able to find dressy enough inexpensive gold-toned jewelry that would look nice enough for formal night and not make the purple dress look cheap. And I don't think mixing metallics with the purple dress would look nice (with black pants and a black top I could probably get away with it, but not with purple). So what would you fashionistas do? Take the silver bag/sandals too, or try to work around the gold? I'd rather not wear the black shoes/purse as I can use those any day!

Archived