EPIC Cabin Defect? Bathrooms/showers/etc

Looks like a closet to me, and yes the floorplans do show a curtain type object and it also looks like you can see a track in the ceiling for the curtain. This would further confirm my suspicion (so far seen NO evidence to the contrary, only evidence supporting) that the shower is nothing more than a shower stall which opens directly into the cabin, just as is confirmed by the inside cabin "studio" picture (just a shower stall with towel rack to the left).

What's odd about the curtain is that it doesn't seem to enclose the sink... so you can't even make a "semi-private", curtain enclosed, full bathroom (which includes a sink).

I realize some of us don't care.... including many cruisecritic readers/posters that just love being on ships and will put up with darn near whatever they throw at us (chalking it up as "adventure")... but my whole point is that a large number of privacy loving Americans, in particular, will find this arrangement unacceptable, including most families with children, and any non-romantic friends or partners traveling together. Assuming it is this way, I think NCL made a huge mistake.

I was actually thinking that the fact that the curtain won't enclose the sink is a good thing since the benefit of this arrangement would be that someone can be performing their ablutions at the sink while someone else is showering. Very efficient and something that slowed us down previously (I travel with my sister). I am still hopeful that the little something or other I see on the side of the shower area in the floor plan is a hook or towel rod inside the shower area.

Okay....so http://epic.ncl.com/the-experience/accommodations/new-wave-staterooms/ the wavy wood thing on the right side of the bed is definately a closet, as seen on the blueprints.

I see the shower....what I'd like to know is....what is the space between the shower & the Hallway wall?

It looks like a little changeroom.

Alternatively, it looks as though the curtain goes around the shower, not across the inner hallway (i.e. between bed & outside hallway).....and it looks as though the shower is large enough that you could put dry clothes on the bed-ward side of the shower (there's a hook) and towel-off and get dressed within the curtain-enclosed shower.

Okay....so http://epic.ncl.com/the-experience/accommodations/new-wave-staterooms/ the wavy wood thing on the right side of the bed is definately a closet, as seen on the blueprints.

I see the shower....what I'd like to know is....what is the space between the shower & the Hallway wall?

It looks like a little changeroom.

Alternatively, it looks as though the curtain goes around the shower, not across the inner hallway (i.e. between bed & outside hallway).....and it looks as though the shower is large enough that you could put dry clothes on the bed-ward side of the shower (there's a hook) and towel-off and get dressed within the curtain-enclosed shower.

The small space between the shower & hallway is only about 18" deep by about 30"-32" wide...too small for a change room, but just right for a "chase wall" to run water pipes and mechanical ductwork through.

The squiggly line is almost certainly a curtain and the only thing that may give someone privacy is if the curtain stretches all the way to the water closet wall and fastens. That way, the entry to your cabin would serve as the change area, and the floor would not be carpet. JMO.

DT

The one design aspect I did not like was the sink in the cabin area. I personally pick hotel rooms that do not have this feature. It does not make sense to me since when I cruiise the cabin mates do not always have the same schedule. So brushing teeth in the middle of the night or at dawn and the other occupants are not awake, can be disturbing. I personally was disappointed to see this proposed layout.

DH is a light sleeper. When I use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I always wash my hands. Now, I'll be worrying that I will wake up DH. DH suggested to me to bring along those pop up wipes for use during the night... No sound of water to wake him up.

coffeebean

I agree the Epic looks ultra-cool, however I don't like the bathroom arrangement at all! Look at the suite pics. I don't see a door for the toilet area - it's just around the corner from the bed. :eek: Be sure you pack the air freshener!

Is it possible there is a pocket door which is not drawn in on the floor plan?

I can't imagine they would design a toilet space with no door. A curtain is not private enough.

coffeebean

I can't imagine they would design a toilet space with no door. A curtain is not private enough.

coffeebean

There is definitely a pocket door visible on the toilet space schematics. That would truly be over the edge if not. :eek: The only controversy remaining is the shower door question.

DT

1 is a sliding door for the shower just like we have had in the mini's that are also glass. 2nd is toilet room with a wood door. 3rd is the closet. The privacy drapes slides from the shower to the toilet.

coffeebean

Like I said in my previous post, if indeed the shower is opposite the toilet, the closet has a mirror. In that mirror you're seeing the shower stall and part of the cabin right in front of the shower stall.

Notice the wood flooring.

So I'm back to believing that the shower is just a stall w/o any changing room.

I doubt this adds anything, but a few hotels in Amsterdam are set up like this.

Ohhhh a perfect view from the bed of your partner stepping out of the shower right in front of a mirror.

THATS HOT!!

If you look at the studio layout, there is a porthole window to a hallway (I think). There is a direct view from that window across the room to the shower. :eek:

If you look at the studio layout, there is a porthole window to a hallway (I think). There is a direct view from that window across the room to the shower. :eek:

The window you can't see into the cabin from the hallway according to what I have read about it on the Epic portion of the website

This thread reminds me of the time Ann Landers solicited opinions as to whether toilet paper should unroll to the front or rear of the roll.

You have to be way over fifty to get that though.

This thread reminds me of the time Ann Landers solicited opinions as to whether toilet paper should unroll to the front or rear of the roll.

it should be rear.. but i prefer front... I remember it was a topic on Oprah.. I'm 42. :D

Close to 50, but I remember that!! LOL

Archived