EPIC Cabin Defect? Bathrooms/showers/etc

But if you've dressed or put a robe on before stepping right into the cabin, how is it different from the stepping out of the bathrooms the way the are on current ships?? Somehow or other you have to leave the bathroom in a manner of dress that you deem decent for your fellow traveller to see. No different from how it is now. :confused:

I think what peope are refering to is that there is no place to dress or put a robe on while in the shower enclosure. At home here, I don't keep a robe with me in the shower, I keep it outside the shower and put it on once I stepped out of the stall.

It all comes down to whether the actual shower stall/area contains a bit of a dressing area. I'll have to admit, looking at the renderings, it looks like it is pure shower stall and no place to hang a robe, put clothes, etc.

I think what peope are refering to is that there is no place to dress or put a robe on while in the shower enclosure. At home here, I don't keep a robe with me in the shower, I keep it outside the shower and put it on once I stepped out of the stall.

It all comes down to whether the actual shower stall/area contains a bit of a dressing area. I'll have to admit, looking at the renderings, it looks like it is pure shower stall and no place to hang a robe, put clothes, etc.

Thanks, Mickey. I understand that concern and would share it except that as I quoted earlier in this thread, James, a crewmember who posts here a lot, has seen a mock-up of the cabin and says there is a towel rack inside the shower area - which means there is a place that stays dry so it could also hold your robe or clothes - and some space to dry off.

Book suites and this will be a non-issue!:p

Sea Hound:D <-- loves the "suite life"

Exactly. These rooms appear to be designed for steerage.

Does anyone have the layouts for the regular rooms and larger?

Thanks, Mickey. I understand that concern and would share it except that as I quoted earlier in this thread, James, a crewmember who posts here a lot, has seen a mock-up of the cabin and says there is a towel rack inside the shower area - which means there is a place that stays dry so it could also hold your robe or clothes - and some space to dry off.

Well that would certainly alleviate that concern and it makes perfect sense. It was hard for me to believe that NCL would have totally disregarded such an obvious privacy issue. :)

I agree the Epic looks ultra-cool, however I don't like the bathroom arrangement at all! Look at the suite pics. I don't see a door for the toilet area - it's just around the corner from the bed. :eek: Be sure you pack the air freshener!

I'm thinking that there is a pocket door that you can't see.

Well that would certainly alleviate that concern and it makes perfect sense. It was hard for me to believe that NCL would have totally disregarded such an obvious privacy issue. :)

One would hope. I guess we'll just have to cruise to know for sure. It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it. ;)

OK - here's what I learned from the travel agent. (Note: She is not someone I know - just someone who solicited me for a reservation and checked this at my request.) She reported:

"I have gotten some information on the shower in the Inside Staterooms. From what I am told, the shower is separate from the toilet and sink, but it is still private from the sleeping area. So there is no worries, the other travel companions will not be able to see you in the shower. To view a picture of this stateroom go to http://epic.ncl.com/the-ship/downloads/ Page down to Inside Staterooms and click on `download hi-resolution image`. Once this opens you can zoom in and see that the shower is located in it`s own little room. In the picture you can see the curved wood wall and an open door way to the shower. There is actually a door that will close. You just can`t see it in the picture."

Unfortunately, I can't click on any of these renderings for one reason or another, so I am shooting in the dark. You guys can see the problem; I can't. But at least this is what she told me. Does it help? Since I can't see, I don't know if this answers the questions that have been raised. It doesn't seem to answer the concerns we all have about being able to dress in private in the shower area before stepping out into the cabin.

Kathy

We just came off Celebrity Solstice in March, and the design of Epic seems to be loosely based on what Celebrity did with this class. I think the cabins look great and would have no problems with separate shower/toilet. However, the outside of the ship as others have stated is butt ugly and squeezing 4500+ people on a 150k ton ship would not do it for us. Solstice is 122k tons and has a capacity of 2800 pax which seemed to be too much at times.

OK - here's what I learned from the travel agent. (Note: She is not someone I know - just someone who solicited me for a reservation and checked this at my request.) She reported:

"I have gotten some information on the shower in the Inside Staterooms. From what I am told, the shower is separate from the toilet and sink, but it is still private from the sleeping area. So there is no worries, the other travel companions will not be able to see you in the shower. To view a picture of this stateroom go to http://epic.ncl.com/the-ship/downloads/ Page down to Inside Staterooms and click on `download hi-resolution image`. Once this opens you can zoom in and see that the shower is located in it`s own little room. In the picture you can see the curved wood wall and an open door way to the shower. There is actually a door that will close. You just can`t see it in the picture."

Unfortunately, I can't click on any of these renderings for one reason or another, so I am shooting in the dark. You guys can see the problem; I can't. But at least this is what she told me. Does it help? Since I can't see, I don't know if this answers the questions that have been raised. It doesn't seem to answer the concerns we all have about being able to dress in private in the shower area before stepping out into the cabin.

Kathy

Thanks Kathy, I don't think they really answered your question. However these images are a tad bit more helpful.. for example in this image:

http://epic.ncl.com/resources/images/1280x1024-studiostateroom.jpg

You can CLEARLY see that the shower is a shower stall, no little room or anything else. Be sure to zoom.

In looking at the cabin floor plans:

http://epic.ncl.com/the-experience/accommodations/new-wave-staterooms/

I notice that the amount of space set aside for the shower is about the same size as the toilet room. You can see the toilet room in the pictures and it quite small as well... I can't imagine how that amount of space could possibly contain a shower AND a towel off room....

When zooming in, I can see what the TA was saying, but since I'm unclear on the floor plan, it could be the shower stall we're looking at is actually a mirror reflecting the shower stall on the opposite side of the cabin, across from the toilet stall.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious.. I haven't followed all the posts on this thread. :)

This travel agent works late at night!! I just got this further explanation from her:

"I'm sorry that you are unable to download the photo. In the photo, if you zoom in a little closer you can see that the shower is in it's own room with a door. So yes, you can step out of the shower with out being seen by others in the sleeping area and get dressed in private."

Kathy

Thanks Kathy, I don't think they really answered your question. However these images are a tad bit more helpful.. for example in this image:

You can CLEARLY see that the shower is a shower stall, no little room or anything else. Be sure to zoom.

I notice that the amount of space set aside for the shower is about the same size as the toilet room. You can see the toilet room in the pictures and it quite small as well... I can't imagine how that amount of space could possibly contain a shower AND a towel off room....

Ah, the mystery continues. At least I can see the pictures you linked. Thanks. (And those cabins are pretty ugly, aren't they? At least that's my opinion.:))

Ah, the mystery continues. At least I can see the pictures you linked. Thanks. (And those cabins are pretty ugly, aren't they? At least that's my opinion.:))

When I look at the photos and floor plans, it still appears the shower is just that, a shower. There are hooks on the outside of the shower area but there is nowhere dry to dress without stepping into the room. Use the deadbolt and draw the curtain if you need privacy.

I can also imagine all sorts of problems with showers leaking and getting the carpeting wet. When we were on the Sky last month, a few of the inside staterooms were not occupied because the carpet was wet - they had fans blowing day and night to dry it.

This travel agent works late at night!! I just got this further explanation from her:

"I'm sorry that you are unable to download the photo. In the photo, if you zoom in a little closer you can see that the shower is in it's own room with a door. So yes, you can step out of the shower with out being seen by others in the sleeping area and get dressed in private."

Kathy

I dunno, the picture seems to me to show exactly the opposite of what she's saying. The shower stall is right in the bedroom.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but if that's the design it's a stupid one. Their primary market is the US, and most Americans are way too uptight to shower in this type of environment.

I can also imagine all sorts of problems with showers leaking and getting the carpeting wet.

That's not likely to be an issue, since that part of the cabin looks like it will have a faux-wood flooring material, which is water-resistant.

I dunno, the picture seems to me to show exactly the opposite of what she's saying. The shower stall is right in the bedroom.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but if that's the design it's a stupid one. Their primary market is the US, and most Americans are way too uptight to shower in this type of environment.

You are right. I'm flummoxed. But the shower I had been looking at and talking about was for the larger cabins, not the studio - I hope what we had heard about those having room for a changing area are still true.

What the TA might be referring to is a sliding door or curtain that could be pulled, but it's not the same as having a changing area inside the shower area.

Ohhhh a perfect view from the bed of your partner stepping out of the shower right in front of a mirror.

THATS HOT!!

It's pretty clear to me it isn't a "small room." They now have the actual floorplan for the cabin posted:

Choose "enlarge floorplan" in the lower right and then choose "zoom". You can see clearly it is nothing more than a shower stall. The shower drain and the door are visible. You can even see the toilet paper dispenser next to the toilet on the other side (where it is clearly a very little room...)

On the floorplan, I see a "room" with what looks to be a drain in the very corner. That doesn't prove to me at all that the entire "room" is just a shower.

I'll just wait and see before assuming it's one way or the other from some drawing.

CG

I agree completely! What I am not understanding is what is the wooden/glass enclosure next to the toilet area?

It's pretty clear to me it isn't a "small room." They now have the actual floorplan for the cabin posted:

Choose "enlarge floorplan" in the lower right and then choose "zoom". You can see clearly it is nothing more than a shower stall. The shower drain and the door are visible. You can even see the toilet paper dispenser next to the toilet on the other side (where it is clearly a very little room...)

On the floorplan, I see a "room" with what looks to be a drain in the very corner. That doesn't prove to me at all that the entire "room" is just a shower.

I'll just wait and see before assuming it's one way or the other from some drawing.

CG

You're right again! That floor plan does allow for more room. So, I am thoroughly confused and anxious to hear the first reports!!

1280x1024-insidestateroom.jpg

OK, so I have labeled this room to what I interpret the blueprints to show...am I right in assuming that the wooden/glass enclosure near the bed on the toilet side of the room is the closet? I also noted that on the blue prints there is a "squiggly" line between the shower stall and the sink which suggests a curtain to me...

OK, so I have labeled this room to what I interpret the blueprints to show...am I right in assuming that the wooden/glass enclosure near the bed on the toilet side of the room is the closet? I also noted that on the blue prints there is a "squiggly" line between the shower stall and the sink which suggests a curtain to me...

Looks like a closet to me, and yes the floorplans do show a curtain type object and it also looks like you can see a track in the ceiling for the curtain. This would further confirm my suspicion (so far seen NO evidence to the contrary, only evidence supporting) that the shower is nothing more than a shower stall which opens directly into the cabin, just as is confirmed by the inside cabin "studio" picture (just a shower stall with towel rack to the left).

What's odd about the curtain is that it doesn't seem to enclose the sink... so you can't even make a "semi-private", curtain enclosed, full bathroom (which includes a sink).

I realize some of us don't care.... including many cruisecritic readers/posters that just love being on ships and will put up with darn near whatever they throw at us (chalking it up as "adventure")... but my whole point is that a large number of privacy loving Americans, in particular, will find this arrangement unacceptable, including most families with children, and any non-romantic friends or partners traveling together. Assuming it is this way, I think NCL made a huge mistake.

Cabin looks beautiful but I have an issue with bathroom layout.

I pointed out the squiggly line in a previous post - It does appear that it "could be" a curtain of sorts. It could also be a structural component.

I would agree with most that it is a questionable open plan. Not everyone feels all that comfortable stepping from the shower into a room when naked - regardless of the relationship with whomever could be observing.

Yes, Modesty does exist even in the best of relationships - or perhaps the relationship is great because of a bit of modesty - who knows??

Archived