Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

I think you will love Norwegian! I know we do--it will be our fourth cruise with the line!

I am really excited about seeing Malta, Italy and France!

My grandparents were from Naples and I know I will be a sobbing fool as we pull into port--LOL!

If anyone sees a grown man on the 5/3 sailing crying and taking pics as pull into Naples--it is me!

My family is from a town right outside of Florence - actually very near the town where the story of Pinocchio was originated. Depending on what route our Romeinlimo tour takes from Pisa to Florence, we may end up passing by the town. I may be crying along with you richstan!

This will be my first time on Norwegian so I'm anxious to see how it is. However, I think I'm going to be in such awe over being in Europe for the first time, I may not even notice.

My thoughts exactly! The port times are so long and each day is so packed with touring that we'll be lucky if we make it to any of the restaurants for dinner. How could any ship be bad when it goes to these incredible European ports?

Think it will be beach weather end of June? Not sure how to pack.

I think so. I live here and have visited several places in June like the french riviera where we went to the beach in early June. Just not as hot as August or July but maybe even more pleasant to go to the beach.

I think you will love Norwegian! I know we do--it will be our fourth cruise with the line!

I am really excited about seeing Malta, Italy and France!

My grandparents were from Naples and I know I will be a sobbing fool as we pull into port--LOL!

If anyone sees a grown man on the 5/3 sailing crying and taking pics as pull into Naples--it is me!

Richstan, I know how I'll recognize you - you'll be the one they send security to drag OFF so I can get ON! LOL!

My family is from a town right outside of Florence - actually very near the town where the story of Pinocchio was originated. Depending on what route our Romeinlimo tour takes from Pisa to Florence, we may end up passing by the town. I may be crying along with you richstan!

Okay, I'm not of Italian descent, although my boss is, and they are joining us on this trip. I can't see him crying, but....I took 4 years of Latin in high school about a hundred years ago, and had a wonderful teacher who showed us slides of the Colosseum and forum from her summer trips, and ancient Rome is a dream come true for me. I'm almost sure I will be somewhere between choked up and crying when I fisrt lay eyes on the Colosseum.

My thoughts exactly! The port times are so long and each day is so packed with touring that we'll be lucky if we make it to any of the restaurants for dinner. How could any ship be bad when it goes to these incredible European ports?

In total agreement, micheysgal. In the beginning, I was more than a little worried about the food reviews, but, as time draws nearer, I realize that food is soooo subjective, and honestly, how do you mess up an always-available sirloin in the MDR, and doesn't Blue Lagoon have hamburgers? I just can't see myself going hungry. :D

I'm loving this thread!

I'm almost sure I will be somewhere between choked up and crying when I fisrt lay eyes on the Colosseum.

I think the whole trip will be very surreal for me. I can't believe that after all these years we are really and truely going to be seeing these famous landmarks, seeing art masterpieces in person, and touring these great cities and countries. Unbelievable. :cool:

Mississippi - sorry we'll be away in May.

Malta is small so you'll be able to go to the Blue Grotto (about 40 min by bus from Valletta). You can get a bus from the Terminal up to the Valletta bus terminal or a taxi (about a 5 min ride) I suggest you go to Trip Advisor and go to the Malta Forum where you can ask any question you like and you'll be given lots of info. You can put 'Blue Grotto' in the search box to see previous posts.

Try and get there as early as possible to avoid the queues. I should imagine you will have time for a quick visit to Valletta as well. Have a look at St Johns Cathedral and the Barakka Gardens - lovely view of the Grand Harbour and of your ship. Most people walk down to the Valletta Waterfront where your ship docks - don't leave it to the last minute though.

Valletta has many cafes for a snack.

I think so. I live here and have visited several places in June like the french riviera where we went to the beach in early June. Just not as hot as August or July but maybe even more pleasant to go to the beach.

Thanks, The only place we might have time is in Barcelona pre or post cruise.

Thanks for the info hat776. That was very useful.

Went back to Walmart and was able to find the black Siesta Masks this time; they were with the ear plugs. The one I found last time was a satin girley blue. I knew my guys wouldn't go for that.

I also bought some nighttime Airborne. I thought that might be helpful on our overnight flight. I also bought some saline nasal spray which has been suggested. What is the limit of ounces of liquid per container? I'm going to try everything in order not to get jet lag or sea sick. I don't want to miss a thing. ;)

You guys that will be leaving in a few weeks, are you ready? Whats left to do?

TSA says 3 oz or less bottles of liquid in a quart ziplock bag, daring. If I may ask, what is the purpose of the saline spray? I've never used Airborne, does it really work?

We leave soon, and I think I've just about got it all. I need to pick up OTC stomach meds for DH (Tums and Pepto), and I plan to order a few Euros from the bank to get me started. Oh, and I need to replace the pack of gum I bought to take. My furbaby had a blast with the first pack!

I understand the air gets very dry on a long flight which may contribute to jetlag somewhat. So it soothes and moisturizes dry stuffy noses. I have bad sinuses anyway.

Airborne helps boost and hydrate the immune system. You drop a tablet into 3-4 ounces of hot water and drink it. It contains vitamins, minerals, and herbs such as chamomile. Does if work? Heck if I know, but it sounds good. I'm a little concerned about sharing so little air space with so many different people from so many different places. Like I said, I have crummy sinuses and I want to avoid an infection .:rolleyes:

Who's Furbaby?

We are coming back the day you leave, I'm very excited while DH is worried about needing a vacation after this vacation :-)

We are staying at the Hilton Diagonal Mar which is further away from Las Ramblas but free with points.

Using RomeinLimo for Livorno, Rome and Naples and not doing anything in Malta and Cannes, walking around and relaxing.

I went on the Gem last year, and stayed in the same hotel,with points. It has large rooms, cheap internet use in lobby. We really enjoyed it, stayed there 2 nights.

There is a Big Mall accross the street with restaurants, stores, and even a Supermarket . You should visit that, because its different than here in the states. There are Subways and Buses that go all over city. We took the Hop on Hop off bus, which you can get almost accross the street. It will take you to all the sites.http://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelona/Barcelona-City-Hop-on-Hop-off-Tour/d562-2512BBUS

That was my first trip to Europe. This year, we are doing Alaska which I never have done vefore also, on the Pearl.

Diane in Music City

Hi everyone,

When I'm flying to Europe from the States overnight I pack Sominex to help me sleep. Works for me. I also pack ginger tabs as a great natural remedy for seasickness. The best earplugs I've found bar none are Hearos, which I get when I visit Wallgreens or similar. How bad is that, I fly to the US to stock up on meds! I never buy anything here.

I'm so excited, but still stuck on what to do in Malta, so much to do, so little time...

We don't get to Barcelona till 8:35 on Sunday morning so we will take a taxi to the port, check our bags and then head to Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter. I then plan to catch a bus or cab to Sagrada Familia, and the take a taxi back to the port or catch the port bus again--depending on how much time I have. And of course stop for cava and tapas along the way! :p

We also land in Barcelona on Sunday for our cruise. When I called NCL and asked if we could drop off our bags and then head out they told me we couldn't board til mid afternoon - I have read on the boards you usually can board around noon. Have you any information about how to you go about checking your bags since we also would like to spend some time in Barcelona.

We also land in Barcelona on Sunday for our cruise. When I called NCL and asked if we could drop off our bags and then head out they told me we couldn't board til mid afternoon - I have read on the boards you usually can board around noon. Have you any information about how to you go about checking your bags since we also would like to spend some time in Barcelona.

Just want to say hi!! :)

Missi, I want a furbaby.

Richstan, yes sir, but I hope I can stretch my legs in my sleep. I'm one of those people who needs a lot of sleep.

Ozzy, wave at me as you are getting off because I will be trying to check my bags.

Sally, We might just have to adopt you here in the US since you are such a big part of us already! I've booked a taxi to the Blue Grotto then plan to see how much I can see in town.

Dilly, I think you can check your bags without boarding, thats what someone on here said.

Mickeysgal, Hi back at you. I always enjoy seeing your smiling face!

Don't forget to stretch your legs during the transatlantic flight!

I'll probably have that covered just going to the bathroom, lol. :D

dilly, I really hope we can drop off our bags and head out for a little sight seeing. We land at 9:00 AM Sunday morning, and plan to head over to the ship, drop the luggage, then walk Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter before boarding. My heart will be broken if it doesn't work out that way. :( I know NCL will tell you one thing....but I do believe I've read reviews over the past few months where people did just that.

I also plan to take a sleep aid for the flight - both ways! Get a little rest, and pass the time a little quicker! :D

We are going on this trip on the Gem with an Oct. 25 departure. Unfortunately, not much activity yet on the roll call I started, but am glad this thread was started. There are 2 of us and our neighbors (in Gainesville, FL) are also now joining us. I've already gotten some great tips about Malta reading this thread, so thanks!!! It's so cool to have this to look forward to with other people, even if we're not on the same cruise.

Hi All. We're in a unique situation since my husband's employer is taking her company (and families) on the Gem in June. I probably would never have thought of a cruise vacation, but I'm getting awfully excited now. I have 2 sons, 10 and 8, traveling with me and am concerned about how much they are going to enjoy seeing the sites. We asked about it through the company and they told us 95% of the time the kids prefer to stay on the ship in the kid's club. So I'm conflicted. LOOK! LOOK AT THAT BEAUTIFUL RUIN! YOU MUST LOOK AT IT! IT'S AN EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME! LOOK! LOL. But, of course, I realize it really IS an experience of a lifetime and I'd hate for them to miss it only to regret it later. So, that said, the company has put together some free excursions, and I signed the whole family up for those. Then I added a cheap one in Athens. So we're scheduled for tours in Barcelona, Athens, Izmir and Istanbul. I think we'll do Rome on our own and try to talk at least my 10year old into joining us.

Has anyone ever rented bikes and biked around? We're pretty big bikers (not motorbikes) and thought it might be fun. Especially if we geocache.

And I'm not worried about the food. I'd like for it to taste crappy, so I don't put on 15 pounds while I'm there.

Happy cruisin'!

Jeana - I would try and choose excursions that interest kids. For example, in Malta there are things like Catacombs, Forts, Firing canons etc which boys enjoy.

When my son was about 7 , what fascinated him most were the automatic doors and escalators in London (Malta only had a few at that time) and the 'historic' sites meant nothing to him !

Your kids will love running around on their own mini-city on the sea. There's just so many options. And just think how excited about Rome they will be in school when they can say, "I've been there!"

I'm trying to keep in light in Malta so I can save some energy and memory for the 4 other stops. I'm going to do a 4 hour tour that day. Did you buy maps or are you looking on the intranet?

Hi daring,

I just realized that I didn't respond back to this. I'm looking mostly at the internet trying to get my bearings in Malta. I really don't want to overdo, BUT we're interested in the Hypogeum, Mdina, and Valletta. That's a lot in a short port day. Not sure if we'll have to forgo something to keep our sanity. I haven't bought the Hypogeum tickets yet, so if I don't do it soon, the decision may be already made for me as the tickets are so limited. The problem is, I can't figure out how to get back from the Hypogeum to Mdina. It's not clear to me whether there are taxis waiting and available.

What tour are you doing?

Archived