Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

I've already decided to purchase an internet package. I'm afraid I'll go into some kind of withdrawal symptoms if I don't. I also plan to call my phone service provider to see what they suggest about the trip. I can't believe that I have to wait on so many of you to get back. Well, maybe that will help the time go by faster for me.

Mickeys, did you buy one of those waist security pouch undergarments? I bought one for both me and my husband and it has given me some peace of mind.

I got the global phone from Verizon. It was about $10.00, shipped to my house and I was able to keep my number and contacts. I also paid an upcharge to get cheaper minutes but ended up just texting our kids to let them know where we were (and what they were missing!). It's a 30 day rental phone and they send you all the packaging and return labels-very simple and convenient.

I just looked at the roll call and it looks like Mickeysgal leaves on the 17th. So looks like I will get the benefit of all of your experiences. I'm just jealous that I'm not getting to go with you guys. I'm still excited for you though and hope you find a way to maybe say hi on here while you're gone. Think that's possible anyone?

I'm afraid I'll pop in to say arrivederci before leaving (and I promise I won't gloat :p), then I won't be online til I arrive back in Mississippi. I'll have my cell phone for emergencies. I guess I could call if you are really in need of info....:D

Mississippi, you get the ship ready for me! You'll be leaving as I'm arriving. :cool:

Yep, that will be me on the 17th! I'm not ready!! I still have to learn the Barcelona transportation system in relation to the places I want to see. I'm totally confused about that. I still have clothes shopping to do...including walking shoes that look good with capris. So far, no luck.

I am going to try to stay in contact somehow. I have to check on my kids. Not sure if I'm going to buy a small internet package or will rent an international phone from Verizon.

How are all of you going to stay in touch with family here at home?

THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS!!!

Mickeysgal, I won't be leaviing willingly! If you'll just give me your cabin number, I'll simply stow away for another week!

About the shoes, try here: http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/?gclid=CIuZ-ubO-pkCFQJN5QodGyKmFQ

I bought these:

3510-00633-9662-099.jpg

Mickeys, did you buy one of those waist security pouch undergarments? I bought one for both me and my husband and it has given me some peace of mind.

I bought one at Walmart the other day. I'm going to get another though so each of us have one. I may bring a string one also (I already have one) just in case.

What are you all doing about a purse to carry small items...kleenex, maps, a pen/pencil, etc. ? Are any of you bringing a small bag?

I bought one at Walmart the other day. I'm going to get another though so each of us have one. I may bring a string one also (I already have one) just in case.

What are you all doing about a purse to carry small items...kleenex, maps, a pen/pencil, etc. ? Are any of you bringing a small bag?

I have to have a tote, for all the things you just mentioned, plus my camera, a place to stash my jacket after it warms up during the day, a rain poncho if the forecast calls for it, Tums and Aleve, possibly a water bottle.

Just wondering here, can you tell I was a girl scout leader for many years?

I got the global phone from Verizon. It was about $10.00, shipped to my house and I was able to keep my number and contacts. I also paid an upcharge to get cheaper minutes but ended up just texting our kids to let them know where we were (and what they were missing!). It's a 30 day rental phone and they send you all the packaging and return labels-very simple and convenient.

Here's my novice question for the day.

Can home phones here in the states RECEIVE international calls if they don't have an international dialing plan? I know you have to be on a plan to make a call, but I don't know if you have to have a plan to get a call.

I have to have a tote, for all the things you just mentioned, plus my camera, a place to stash my jacket after it warms up during the day, a rain poncho if the forecast calls for it, Tums and Aleve, possibly a water bottle.

Just wondering here, can you tell I was a girl scout leader for many years?

I'm looking at a Pac Safe bag. A bit on the expensive side, but seems to be secure.

I would have not thought about a rain poncho. Leave it to a girl scout leader to think of everything. Thanks!

It will be good to read the post cruise reviews so that we can learn from each other...what to take, what to leave home, what we should have thought of, etc. Richstan, the pressure is on as you're the first to test the waters so to speak!:eek:

I bought a very similar pair of brown shoes to those pictured below. They are Merrel's.

I purchased a cruise critic back pack but I won't be carrying anything in it that I can not part with.

I don't leave till June 7th :(

Ok...another thing I thought I'd mention in case anyone is interested.

Keep checking your cruise pricing. I recently was checking to see how much my BA changed in price (after final payment). They had dropped the price of a AE suite (the only one left) to only $50 more per person that what I paid for my BA. I grabbed it and jumped from a BA to an AE. Granted I will have increased tips to pay (concierge and butler), but it was a great deal and a very rare treat for us.

It will be good to read the post cruise reviews so that we can learn from each other...what to take, what to leave home, what we should have thought of, etc. Richstan, the pressure is on as you're the first to test the waters so to speak!:eek:

Test the waters....very witty! Richstan, you'll just have to leave me a list in my cabin!

I bought a very similar pair of brown shoes to those pictured below. They are Merrel's.

I purchased a cruise critic back pack but I won't be carrying anything in it that I can not part with.

I don't leave till June 7th :(

daring, 'bout time you got up to join the conversation this morning! :D

Keep checking your cruise pricing. I recently was checking to see how much my BA changed in price (after final payment). They had dropped the price of a AE suite (the only one left) to only $50 more per person that what I paid for my BA. I grabbed it and jumped from a BA to an AE. Granted I will have increased tips to pay (concierge and butler), but it was a great deal and a very rare treat for us.

AWESOME! Congratulations on the upgrade! Now, for THAT, I am jealous! Thanks for the tip, going over to NCL right now to check it out!

OMG - you just did that last Thursday or Friday, right? The AE is what we were going to book. It took us a while to find airfare and while we were doing that, the AE was gone! Actually, in the end it worked out great for us and we booked in the Courtyard!

OMG - you just did that last Thursday or Friday, right? The AE is what we were going to book. It took us a while to find airfare and while we were doing that, the AE was gone! Actually, in the end it worked out great for us and we booked in the Courtyard!

Yes, last Friday. I couldn't dial NCL's number fast enough.

Wow, you're in the Courtyard? Woo hoo!! I would love to see that cabin...hint, hint.

Here's my novice question for the day.

Can home phones here in the states RECEIVE international calls if they don't have an international dialing plan? I know you have to be on a plan to make a call, but I don't know if you have to have a plan to get a call.

From what I was told, the phone has to be a global phone. Most American phones only work in this hemisphere. I think some of the providers have different SIM cards for global usage. I think you can do a search on Cruise Critic to find better info-I'm pretty lo-tech.

From what I was told, the phone has to be a global phone. Most American phones only work in this hemisphere. I think some of the providers have different SIM cards for global usage. I think you can do a search on Cruise Critic to find better info-I'm pretty lo-tech.

Just got off the phone with Comcast. We did not have to do anything to receive or place calls internationally.

Verizon...to rent a global phone, it is .05 a text to receive, .50 to send a text, .99/min to talk whether I've called or home calls me. We have no overall rental charge as long as it's returned within 30 days. No shipping fees since we're on some sort of executive plan. It's a two day ship.

If you choose to get two phones and place calls to each other, you both get charged .99/min.

We'll have to call back at the beginning of May to have it sent such that it stays within the 30 day timeframe.

Just got off the phone with Comcast. We did not have to do anything to receive or place calls internationally.

Verizon...to rent a global phone, it is .05 a text to receive, .50 to send a text, .99/min to talk whether I've called or home calls me. We have no overall rental charge as long as it's returned within 30 days. No shipping fees since we're on some sort of executive plan. It's a two day ship.

If you choose to get two phones and place calls to each other, you both get charged .99/min.

We'll have to call back at the beginning of May to have it sent such that it stays within the 30 day timeframe.

Good info. Thanks for doing that footwork Mickey's.

Archived