Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

My daughter and I are going on the 7 day cruise round trip from Barcelona and we have never done this before. We're on a tight budget and I was wondering if some of the ports of call can we just walk off the ship and into the town. I was thinking of this regarding Valetta and Naples. Or do we have to pay for a shore excursion? Is it sometimes more affordable to contact a local tour guide rather than pay for the shore excursions through the cruise line? Any information will be so helpful!

...Is it sometimes more affordable to contact a local tour guide rather than pay for the shore excursions through the cruise line? Any information will be so helpful!

It will vary by port. Options are all over the place both with cruiseline and on your own. I would strongly suggest visiting the PORTS OF CALL boards and the ROLL CALL for your cruise. Others will be discussing options. On the Roll Call boards you will others putting together a small group tour. Often these are much less expensive than the ships tours.

You will see folks discuss the ship vs private vs on your own often here.

Ship is more expensive, but some feel safer because they will make sure you do not miss the boat. The rare stories I have seen about people missing the boat did not involve organized local tours but somebody totally on their own not paying attention or going too far off the beaten path. Actually, some of those stories are people within site of the ship, and even closer to shopping or drinking.

Really though, visit those other message boards for good advice.

My daughter and I are going on the 7 day cruise round trip from Barcelona and we have never done this before. We're on a tight budget and I was wondering if some of the ports of call can we just walk off the ship and into the town. I was thinking of this regarding Valetta and Naples. Or do we have to pay for a shore excursion? Is it sometimes more affordable to contact a local tour guide rather than pay for the shore excursions through the cruise line? Any information will be so helpful!

Hi!

I will be doing it in all ports. I think it's probably the american who get more "scared" at the idea of doing ports on your own. I actually chose this itinerary because I thaught ports were very safe. I am traveling with 2 children (one a baby) and my mother in law, so not really into taking any risks. Of course it's just as safe as Manhattan, I actually had a big problem with a taxi driver when arriving at JFK airport. I also had my wallet stolen in the center of Chicago, inside a Border's magasine. So, things can happen anywhere and of course if you're safelly traveling with an organised group the risks are much smaller. It probably wouldn't have happened in Chicago as well - if I was with a group we wouldn't have gone to Border's in the first place, right? But I do think these are all very safe ports.

We are thinking of walking/taking the bus in Valleta and Naples, also taking the train to Florence, just to visit the cities. In Villefranche we will also be taking trains - I'd like to visit Nice, Cap-Ferrat and Monaco but we will probably only visit 2 places, we will see how it goes. In Rome I am thinking of visiting Ostia Antica if my mother in law doesn't mind to babysit for us. We have already visited Rome and Pompeii in previous trips.

I don't really enjoy organised trips that much and also I don't feel confortable with a baby who might cry or do noise and be a nuisance to others so this is mainly why we will be doing ports on our own.

Hi!

I will be doing it in all ports. I think it's probably the american who get more "scared" at the idea of doing ports on your own. I actually chose this itinerary because I thaught ports were very safe. I am traveling with 2 children (one a baby) and my mother in law, so not really into taking any risks. Of course it's just as safe as Manhattan, I actually had a big problem with a taxi driver when arriving at JFK airport. I also had my wallet stolen in the center of Chicago, inside a Border's magasine. So, things can happen anywhere and of course if you're safelly traveling with an organised group the risks are much smaller. It probably wouldn't have happened in Chicago as well - if I was with a group we wouldn't have gone to Border's in the first place, right? But I do think these are all very safe ports.

We are thinking of walking/taking the bus in Valleta and Naples, also taking the train to Florence, just to visit the cities. In Villefranche we will also be taking trains - I'd like to visit Nice, Cap-Ferrat and Monaco but we will probably only visit 2 places, we will see how it goes. In Rome I am thinking of visiting Ostia Antica if my mother in law doesn't mind to babysit for us. We have already visited Rome and Pompeii in previous trips.

I don't really enjoy organised trips that much and also I don't feel confortable with a baby who might cry or do noise and be a nuisance to others so this is mainly why we will be doing ports on our own.

Naples is the only port on your list where I would be hesitant to try on my own. It's not gotten the best of reviews here on cruise critic for safety/crime.

Naples is the only port on your list where I would be hesitant to try on my own. It's not gotten the best of reviews here on cruise critic for safety/crime.

Thank you - I had no idea. We were there last year but only took the bus and train to go to Pompeii. Pompeii seemed quite safe, we then went to Sorrento which also seemed pretty safe and took the boat back to Naples. We never got to actually visit the city and my mother in law wishes to.

In fact, we later found out that there had been a dreadful incident at the train station only half an hour after we had been there, with thousands of fanatic hooligans destroying the station, people going to the hospital... :eek: We really were lucky. I did find the train to look a bit spooky and not in very good conditions with graffities and bad general "ambience" but... can you imagine beeing caught inside that fight with a 4 yo? :eek:

So I guess we shouldn't try our luck twice, you're right. I'll have to think of that. I'd actually rather be going to Capri but I think my mother in law wishes to visit the city, I still haven't got around to talk about that. Her grandparents aparently have visited the city (about a 100 years ago) so there is this family story about what a lovely place Naples is. Last year we only really saw the scenary and it was indeed pretty. I am also curious to visit.

Do you have any suggestions about how to visit the city without bothering other people with a small baby? :confused: What are you thinking of doing in Naples?

By the way, somebody mentioned going to our roll calls but there is nobody in my roll call and it isn't such a loooonnnnng time away as all that, it's in August.

Thank you - I had no idea. We were there last year but only took the bus and train to go to Pompeii. Pompeii seemed quite safe, we then went to Sorrento which also seemed pretty safe and took the boat back to Naples. We never got to actually visit the city and my mother in law wishes to.

In fact, we later found out that there had been a dreadful incident at the train station only half an hour after we had been there, with thousands of fanatic hooligans destroying the station, people going to the hospital... :eek: We really were lucky. I did find the train to look a bit spooky and not in very good conditions with graffities and bad general "ambience" but... can you imagine beeing caught inside that fight with a 4 yo? :eek:

So I guess we shouldn't try our luck twice, you're right. I'll have to think of that. I'd actually rather be going to Capri but I think my mother in law wishes to visit the city, I still haven't got around to talk about that. Her grandparents aparently have visited the city (about a 100 years ago) so there is this family story about what a lovely place Naples is. Last year we only really saw the scenary and it was indeed pretty. I am also curious to visit.

Do you have any suggestions about how to visit the city without bothering other people with a small baby? :confused: What are you thinking of doing in Naples?

By the way, somebody mentioned going to our roll calls but there is nobody in my roll call and it isn't such a loooonnnnng time away as all that, it's in August.

Please, don't take just my word for it. Do a search on Naples on this board to see what others have written. Look at travel books to see their cautions. I think my travel books say to avoid places like the train station at night, etc. In my books, it does warn about pickpockets in Barcelona, but in two of my books, in the Naples section, there are crime warnings. Apparently there is some problem there, but I can't judge how bad. If it was enough to put warnings in my book, then that's enough for me. Perhaps you may want to check the forums on trip advisor dot com. They have a strong message board there and you can check the Naples one to see what they recommend.

I don't want to scare you off, I really don't. Just take caution in whereever you go. :)

Oh gosh, traveling with a small baby...I haven't done that in so many years, I think I've forgotten how. Have you considered one of the ship tours? Certainly you wouldn't be the first passenger with a baby. I'm sure you'd be absolutely fine there.

We're doing a DriveAmalfi private tour with members from our Roll Call. Just keep posting on your roll call, eventually others will join and perhaps you can arrange tours with them? Just a thought...

Thank you, I do take your word for it. ;) Come to think of it, the train station did look kind of "heavy" and it just sounds familiar to my ears that Naples isn't really that safe... I'll have to think about how to organise ourselves there. In fact, I have a close work colleague that is italian - she might be able to give some suggestion. I am actually on maternity leave right now, but I'll try and see if she has any suggestions of places to visit, cautions to have...

Naples has a bad reputation - but I don't think it really deserves it. However, you could go on the hop on bus which you can catch from just opposite from where the ship docks (right in the city centre).

For Valletta, you can take a bus or taxi (less than 5 min ride) but it's uphill. You can then walk down.

Hypogeum to Mdina isn't that far - about 15/20 min by car - but there aren't direct buses. You have to return to Valletta to get another bus.

I don't know if there are taxi's near the Hypogeum. You could keep a couple of telephone numbers of taxi companies with you. If when you get to the Hypogeum you don't see any taxi's , phone one of them and arrange a pick up time.

It's a pity that on the Gem, you don't have a full day as the ship sails at 3 so your time is very limited.

Thanks, I didn't know about the hop on in Naples. Sounds like the perfect solution to get to know the city without taking too much risks.

I think in Malta we'll just take the bus and stroll around the city. With two small children and an elderly person who isn't very agile I don't want to be running around trying to see the impossible to see in so little time. I'd rather get a sense of the city. And from the amazing pictures I've seen here on CC + the views I saw on google earth it's a really a place to come back to. It looks fabulous.

We are booking today for the Gem, May 17th. I can hardly contain myself. We did a similar trip on the Jewel two years ago but the itinerary was Messina instead of Valetta and Nice instead of Cannes. I'm suppose to be working today and instead I'm here reading with great anticipation.

We are booking today for the Gem, May 17th. I can hardly contain myself. We did a similar trip on the Jewel two years ago but the itinerary was Messina instead of Valetta and Nice instead of Cannes. I'm suppose to be working today and instead I'm here reading with great anticipation.

My trip is June 7th and this site is the closest I can get to being there for now, so I'm on here anytime I get a chance.

How's everyone feeling about formal wear? I'm thinking of skipping it this time. Think I'll miss it?

I think we should do as we please. :p I like to dress up for dinner but sometimes I don't mind staying at the pool 'til late and just going to the buffet for a bite. I find it nice to have the option of doing things as we feel like - since it's our holiday and we're paying for it. So why should we be obbeying to rules? :rolleyes: I don't mind to see people not dressed up as long as they're happy and pleasant to me.

June 7 is my birthday!

Why Knot Me...you'll be on my cruise! I think you've already been to the roll call, right? Glad to see you booked. Did you get your air? It's so exciting...:)

What about you? Skipping the formal? I don't guess I'll miss it. I used to like it. hmmmm.

Hi there!

When we first started cruising, we used to love formal nights. Now...not so much. I guess I wouldn't mind dressing up, it's the packing that I mind. That's what appealed to us about NCL. Dressy casual I can manage. Gowns and tuxes, no thanks. At least not for this cruise.

I'm taking one skirt and a few dress pants with cocktail/dinner party tops.

What I'm trying to avoid is too many shoes and the only way to do that is to coordinate my clothes. Not so easy to do.

I'm thinking sleeveless dresses that I can dress up or down depending on what I'm doing, jewelry and heels for evening, flats and light jacket for excursions. Yes, trying to match it all up is the problem and not over packing. Just checking, wanted to see what my other gal pals on here were doing. Can't wait for some of to go and get back to tell us more. That will add to the excitement I think.

No formal clothes for us! We dress for work everyday and are looking forward to keeping it casual on the Gem!

Ladies and gentlemen, friends and guidebooks tell me that if you are planning to visit churches in Italy long pants are a must!

Fifteen days til we are Barcelona Bound, not that I am countung down.

We were on the Gem last year. Very few people dressed up for dinner. I noticed that there very few sparkly tops as well.

As regards Valletta - www.visitmalta.com has good video clips under 'Views and Downloads"

Go to Upper Barakka Gardens so the kids can run around and you can admire the magnificent views.

Outside St Johns Cathedral and near the Palace and Armoury are cafes, so if you don't want to take the young children in maybe someone could remain in the cafe with them.

Valletta is built on a hill. The main roads are on the very top and then there are roads leading down to sea level. The roads on the right (as you go in to Valletta) lead down to the Grand Harbour. Most people go down one of them and walk along the Harbour back to the ship.

If you get tired you could phone up citicabs –A new and eco friendly way of getting about in Valletta and its surroundings is by CT Cab.

These are a fleet of chauffeur-driven electric vehicles that go all round Valletta. You can either stop one or phone 0035679333321 or 00 356 21333321 The cost is 1 Euro per person. Don't put 00356 if you will be using a local line.

Archived