Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

Yes, last Friday. I couldn't dial NCL's number fast enough.

Wow, you're in the Courtyard? Woo hoo!! I would love to see that cabin...hint, hint.

That is so funny that you got the AE. Thanks to you, we spent more money and NCL got us to book the Courtyard :(. Actually, I was thrilled when it was gone as it put us to the 14th deck :).

No problem in seeing the cabin, we can arrange that. I wouldn't mind seeing yours too as I like having a visual for future cruise planning. We've been in AE's before but the decor is always different so it's still good to visit.

That is so funny that you got the AE. Thanks to you, we spent more money and NCL got us to book the Courtyard :(. Actually, I was thrilled when it was gone as it put us to the 14th deck :).

No problem in seeing the cabin, we can arrange that. I wouldn't mind seeing yours too as I like having a visual for future cruise planning. We've been in AE's before but the decor is always different so it's still good to visit.

Funny, that's what my husband is always telling me. :D :eek:

I'm very happy that you to have the opportunity to sail in the Courtyard area; although I'm starting to feel bad that it was you that wanted that cabin. :(

Funny, that's what my husband is always telling me. :D :eek:

I'm very happy that you to have the opportunity to sail in the Courtyard area; although I'm starting to feel bad that it was you that wanted that cabin. :(

Don't feel bad at all, I'M THRILLED!!!!

If we arrive in Malta at 8AM, how soon can we get off the ship? If the ship departs at 3PM, do we have to be onboard at 1PM? I scheduled a taxi for 4 hours and now I'm concerned that we won't be allowed 4 hours if we didn't book with the ship. What ya think? :eek:

If we arrive in Malta at 8AM, how soon can we get off the ship? If the ship departs at 3PM, do we have to be onboard at 1PM? I scheduled a taxi for 4 hours and now I'm concerned that we won't be allowed 4 hours if we didn't book with the ship. What ya think? :eek:

Good question. In general do we have to be back onboard 1 hour or 2 hours prior to sailing?

How did you book a taxi already? What taxi service did you use?

Looks like I am the first victim who will suffer gladly on the Gem's Barcelona run of 2009!

Good, you can answer these questions first hand when you get back.

Mickey's,

I found this on the tourist info site. I can't say that I am impressed with them; they have been very slow to respond each time. Maybe because it's early. They also asked for 33% deposit and my other tours have not done that. But here it is anyway just in case you want to check it out.

info@maltarentacar.com

Hey, I can't figure out how to do the multi quote thing. How do you do it if you want to quote more than one person?

Hey, I can't figure out how to do the multi quote thing. How do you do it if you want to quote more than one person?

For the first quote you want to cite, click the button to the right of the first button that says "quote"; the one that has the symbol " +. It should highlight in color. Then, scroll to the next quote you want to cite, and again hit the " + button. That too, should highlight. For the last quote you want to use, then hit the actual "QUOTE" button. You should see all three quotes reflected in your response screen.

On the Rome forum alot of Americans worry about pickpockets.

Many mention a sort of `armored` bag . It has a metal cord running through the strap and metal mesh lining in the bag itself. Apparently it is pick pocket proof. I've never seen the like in Europe.

When we arrived in Civitavecchia the heavens opened wide and it poured. I've never seen the like , there was hail almost as big as golf balls. It was extremely windy and there was a whirlwind near the ship.

Many of the Philipino crew were amazed as they had never seen the like.

Anyway, just as I was swiping my card to get off the ship, I realised they were selling plastic ponchos on board. So I just stepped back to get one. The weather was so bad we could hardly walk to get to the coach.

Many mention a sort of `armored` bag . It has a metal cord running through the strap and metal mesh lining in the bag itself. Apparently it is pick pocket proof. I've never seen the like in Europe.

The ones I know are made by a company named Pac Safe. They do have a wire mesh throughout that makes them slashproof.

Looks like I am the first victim who will suffer gladly on the Gem's Barcelona run of 2009!

Richstan, you are to be admired for your courage and selflessness. ;)

Good question. In general do we have to be back onboard 1 hour or 2 hours prior to sailing?

mickeysgal, from the NCL sites faqs:

Boarding Time in Ports of Call:

In all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time. In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship.

I personally wish we had more time in Malta, but it is what it is. We are choosing ONE thing to do in Malta, and if there is time for more, that's a bonus!

Hey guys, I posted this on my roll call, then thought you all might be interested as well, since we are all going to the same ports of call. :) From the book, "1000 Places to See Before You Die," a list of places that we will have an opportunity to see. (Sorry, couldn't get anything on Malta, technical difficulties)

Barcelona:

1) Catalan National Art Museum

2) La Sagrada Familia

3) Museu Picasso

Naples:

1) Capri

2) National Archaeological Museum

3) Spaccanapoli

4) Pompeii

5) The Amalfi Coast

6) Positano's Hotels (Hotel le Sirenuse, Hotel San Pietro)

7) Ravello

8) Paestum

9) Sorrento

10) Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria - Sorrento

Rome:

1) Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore

2) Borghese Gallery

3) The Coliseum

4) Etruscan Museum at the Villa Giulia

5) Piazza Campidoglio and the Capitoline Museums

6) The Pantheon

7) The Roman and Imperial Forums

8) Spanish Steps

9) Trevi Fountain

10) Vatican City

11) Bocca Della Verita

12) Market at Campo Dei Fiori

13) Ostia Antica

14) Piazza Navona

15) Via Condotti

16) Sistine Chapel

Florence:

1) Bargello Museum

2) Church of Santa Maria Novella

3) Church of Santa Croce

4) Galleria Dell'Accademia

5) Il Duomo

6) Medici Chapels

7) Museo San marco

8) Piazza Della Signoria and Palazzo Vecchio

9) Palazzo Vecchio

10) Palazzo Pitti and the Galleria Palatina

11) Il Ponte Vecchio

12) Maggio Musicale Fiorentino

13) Mercato Nuovo

14) Mercato San Lorenzo

15) Sunset at Piazzale Michelangiolo

16) Vespers at Church of San Miniato

17) Uffizi Galleries

18) Villa San Michele and Villa La Massa

19) Lucca

20) Montalcino

Cote d’Azur

1) Aix- En- Provence

2) Antibes and Hotel Du Cap Eden-Roc

3) Amphitheater of Arles

4) Avignon and Hotel La Mirande

5) Hotel Carlton Inter-Continental

6) Hostellerie De Crillon Le Brave

7) Eze

8) Les Baux-De-Provence

9) Mougins

10) Vieux Nice (Picture below)

11) La Fondation Maeght

12) St.-Tropez

13) Vence

For the first quote you want to cite, click the button to the right of the first button that says "quote"; the one that has the symbol " +. It should highlight in color. Then, scroll to the next quote you want to cite, and again hit the " + button. That too, should highlight. For the last quote you want to use, then hit the actual "QUOTE" button. You should see all three quotes reflected in your response screen.

By George (or Mickey's) I think I have it! Why couldn't I figure that out?

Richstan, you are to be admired for your courage and selflessness. ;)

Missi, you are such a funny girl. :)

This Malta tour looks like its going to be really tight. What are you planning to do there Richstan? I wonder if they will let people with the NCL tours off first? I'm sending you on a mission Richstan to find out so I will know how to plan my Malta experience. Should you agree to take this mission, I will be internally grateful. This message will self destruct in...

mickeysgal, from the NCL sites faqs:

Boarding Time in Ports of Call:

In all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back on board the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time. In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship.

I personally wish we had more time in Malta, but it is what it is. We are choosing ONE thing to do in Malta, and if there is time for more, that's a bonus!

We are on the MAy 3rd sailing!

This will be my 29th cruise, but I am super excited about cruising in Europe!

I still can't believe I am going to see the "homeland." Italy!

Hi Richstan;

Just wanted to let you know that I will be on this cruise with my mum! We are from Glasgow in Scotland, so if you hear a thick Scottish accent you will know it is me :o. I hope you have a fabulous time onboard the Gem, we are really looking forward to it!! I am just looking forward to soaking up some sunshine :cool: and relaxing on board the ship, have been working very hard this year so I just want to re-charge my batteries and chill out!!

The ones I know are made by a company named Pac Safe. They do have a wire mesh throughout that makes them slashproof.

I know I always warn people about pickpockets in Bcn., Rome etc, but it's distressing some of you, because it's a strange country. Honestly, if you are just as wise as you are in any home city, you'll be fine! There will always be people the world over looking for easy pickings, and if you're sensible at home, then you'll be fine abroad. I was just as panicked when I first visited the States, until I realised that people are pretty much the same the world over-just want to get on with their lives. Leave your passport in the safe, and just carry a copy, for that is a problem with all the illegal immigrants. Put it away immediately you're through customs, and don't walk with it in your hands. Other than that, you'll find most Europeans remarkably laid back-and similar to your next door neighbours! Have an absolutely lovely time-jocap.

I haven't read through all of the pages of this posting yet but wanted to add our name to those excited about the Gem in the Mediterranean. We are thinking of booking a B2B next July. I know absolutely nothing about the ports but I know we will love the Gem and we'll have plenty of time to work on gathering information about what to do!

We will probably buy a future cruise certificate on the Jade this summer and use it to book. Does anyone know if you can use these to book suites?

Hi Richstan;

Just wanted to let you know that I will be on this cruise with my mum! We are from Glasgow in Scotland, so if you hear a thick Scottish accent you will know it is me :o. I hope you have a fabulous time onboard the Gem, we are really looking forward to it!! I am just looking forward to soaking up some sunshine :cool: and relaxing on board the ship, have been working very hard this year so I just want to re-charge my batteries and chill out!!

Hey!

Check out our Roll Call!

We are having an official Meet and Greet on Monday, May 3rd in the Magenta at 11 a.m.--Please join us and meet some of your fellow Cruise Critic Cruisers!

I haven't read through all of the pages of this posting yet but wanted to add our name to those excited about the Gem in the Mediterranean. We are thinking of booking a B2B next July. I know absolutely nothing about the ports but I know we will love the Gem and we'll have plenty of time to work on gathering information about what to do!

We will probably buy a future cruise certificate on the Jade this summer and use it to book. Does anyone know if you can use these to book suites?

lhall,

B2B, This July or next year? How very exciting! I don't know the answer about certificates and suites but I can tell you that we are sending out a scout to return with the answers to all our questions.

Richstan,

This Malta tour looks like its going to be really tight. What are you planning to do there Richstan? I wonder if they will let people with the NCL tours off first? I'm sending you on a mission Richstan to find out so I will know how to plan my Malta experience. Should you agree to take this mission, I will be internally grateful. This message will self destruct in...

Hey guys, I posted this on my roll call, then thought you all might be interested as well, since we are all going to the same ports of call. :) From the book, "1000 Places to See Before You Die," a list of places that we will have an opportunity to see. (Sorry, couldn't get anything on Malta, technical difficulties)

Thank you Mississippi, that's quite a list.

I know I always warn people about pickpockets in Bcn., Rome etc, but it's distressing some of you, because it's a strange country. Honestly, if you are just as wise as you are in any home city, you'll be fine! There will always be people the world over looking for easy pickings, and if you're sensible at home, then you'll be fine abroad. I was just as panicked when I first visited the States, until I realised that people are pretty much the same the world over-just want to get on with their lives. Leave your passport in the safe, and just carry a copy, for that is a problem with all the illegal immigrants. Put it away immediately you're through customs, and don't walk with it in your hands. Other than that, you'll find most Europeans remarkably laid back-and similar to your next door neighbours! Have an absolutely lovely time-jocap.

Thanks jocap. I'll tell you - I've lived for most of my life in Chicago and I've travelled to New York. Not much scares me in regards to walking in touristy areas, but everytime someone mentions Barcelona whether it be here on Cruise Critic or on Trip Advisor, all I see are warnings about pickpockets. I don't want to be so frightened as to not venture out of my hotel room. It doesn't seem like overblown hype. The problem seems very real there. I'll have a moneybelt and I hope that that will make me about as secure as I can be.

Richstan,

Daring, I'm afraid we're going to scare Richstan. There is so much pressure on him. Richstan, please come back to the boards after you return from your trip. I promise, we'll be good and hold to no more than 200 questions...250 tops.:eek:

Yes, another port for me to stress about. Cannes.

What have all of you decided to do in this port? Take a ship tour to Nice? If so, which one? Just stay in Cannes? With the Cannes Film Festival going on, I'm not sure if that's a good thing (exciting to be in the same town as "everyone who is anyone") or a hassle (crowded).

On the other hand, my daughter wants a t-shirt if there is such a thing. :cool:

What have all of you decided to do in this port? Take a ship tour to Nice? If so, which one? Just stay in Cannes? With the Cannes Film Festival going on, I'm not sure if that's a good thing (exciting to be in the same town as "everyone who is anyone") or a hassle (crowded).

We actually have Villefranche for a port instead of Cannes (I think there are two cruises scheduled this way). Sooooo, we will take the local bus to Eze and then to Nice.

lhall,

b2b, this july or next year? How very exciting! I don't know the answer about certificates and suites but i can tell you that we are sending out a scout to return with the answers to all our questions.

Richstan,

this malta tour looks like its going to be really tight. What are you planning to do there richstan? I wonder if they will let people with the ncl tours off first? I'm sending you on a mission richstan to find out so i will know how to plan my malta experience. Should you agree to take this mission, i will be internally grateful. This message will self destruct in...

lol!

I plan to just hang out and hope I step in the same place that Clint Eastwood has stepped. My chest heaves with excitement. I know, thats funny isn't it. I think the old man's HOT! I also think the film festival is over the week before we get there ,darn-it.

Archived