Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

Naples is the only port on your list where I would be hesitant to try on my own. It's not gotten the best of reviews here on cruise critic for safety/crime.

Without reading the rest of the posts, I will tell you that on our cruise in 2006, people who chose to go to Naples were VERY disappointed. Garbage everywhere, unclean, crowded...etc. People who did other excursions at that port were much more pleased. For example, we did Positano/Sorrento and it was wonderful. I don't think they offer Positano anymore. But, the Amalfi Coast or Capri would be great. Just my two cents for what it is worth.

I think we should do as we please. :p I like to dress up for dinner but sometimes I don't mind staying at the pool 'til late and just going to the buffet for a bite. I find it nice to have the option of doing things as we feel like - since it's our holiday and we're paying for it. So why should we be obbeying to rules? :rolleyes: I don't mind to see people not dressed up as long as they're happy and pleasant to me.

June 7 is my birthday!

I agree entirely!

And I'm so excited for the both of you! And the fact that you'll both be back to give us the low down on everything!!

Mickeysgal, I am a teeny bit sad that you, daring, and richstan are not on my sailing. I do believe that we'd make quite a group, lol. Maybe we should try to coordinate a little better for the next one! Anybody plan on the $250 next cruise deposit for the $100 OBC?

Mickeysgal, I am a teeny bit sad that you, daring, and richstan are not on my sailing. I do believe that we'd make quite a group, lol. Maybe we should try to coordinate a little better for the next one! Anybody plan on the $250 next cruise deposit for the $100 OBC?

I know! Wouldn't that be something! :)

I just got the $250 offer yesterday in an email. I'd like to take advantage of it. You do have 30 months to use it - not a bad deal at all.

I have my heart set on Venice next time (already planning that "next time"). I had wanted that port - it's my #1 choice, but it didn't work into the plan for this cruise.

Here's a question for the group... What are all of you doing about Euros? Getting some prior to leaving the States? Getting it all before leaving? A lot of members here on the board recommend having a chip ATM card. We don't have that. I'm nervous that we'll have some sort of access problem and that I'll be stuck without cash.

After reading some of the threads on the Ports of Call board, I'm of the opinion that the Euro question is a hotly debated topic. Personally, I do not want to spend my few precious hours in port running around looking for ATM's to pay the tour guides, so I just (yesterday) ordered my Euros for trip. My biggest concern was in Barcelona, carrying so much cash before boarding the ship where we can place it in the cabin's safe. I have decided to put the bulk of it in our shoes to keep it safe from pick pockets.

And, you're not going to believe this, MG, but I was thinking Venice and Greece for the next one, lol!

After reading some of the threads on the Ports of Call board, I'm of the opinion that the Euro question is a hotly debated topic. Personally, I do not want to spend my few precious hours in port running around looking for ATM's to pay the tour guides, so I just (yesterday) ordered my Euros for trip. My biggest concern was in Barcelona, carrying so much cash before boarding the ship where we can place it in the cabin's safe. I have decided to put the bulk of it in our shoes to keep it safe from pick pockets.

And, you're not going to believe this, MG, but I was thinking Venice and Greece for the next one, lol!

The Gem is doing a 2010 itinerary out of Venice next year. :cool:

On my list is Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, and Santorini. It's sort of difficult to find all these ports on the same itinerary. Celebrity does it, but it's a longer cruise.

Did you get a good exchange rate? Was there a service fee?

Ok...I can see how the shoe thing would work. Uncomfortable, but it may work. My luck the room wouldn't be ready until the actual posted time of 3pm and I'd have to walk around all day like that. :D

We were on the Gem last September, our flight had a short layover in Paris and we stopped at the ATM on our way to the departure gate and got a couple hundred Euros. We got more from an ATM in Barcelona the day we boarded the ship. Having been there-done that, I think you would not need to get Euros here. What a great trip, I envy all of you who are going.

I am getting some Euros here-I am flying through Swtzerland and have a fear of Starvng in the Zurich airport.

LOL!! I'll use my credit card for that.

My fear is that we'll land in Barcelona and either not be able to find an ATM in the airport, or it will be broken and we'll have no way to get a cab or bus to the hotel.

Without reading the rest of the posts, I will tell you that on our cruise in 2006, people who chose to go to Naples were VERY disappointed. Garbage everywhere, unclean, crowded...etc. People who did other excursions at that port were much more pleased. For example, we did Positano/Sorrento and it was wonderful. I don't think they offer Positano anymore. But, the Amalfi Coast or Capri would be great. Just my two cents for what it is worth.

Thank you. Last year we did the trip some of you are talking about - we went from Rome > Sicily > Athens > Mykonos > Ephesus > Rhodes > Santorini > Naples and back to Rome. It was a 12 day cruise w/ Celebrity. In Naples we went to Sorrento and Pompeii. This time I wouldn't mind to visit the city. I'd much rather go to Capri, though, I'll try to convince my mother-in-law. If I tell her it's dangerous she'll just take the view and say it's lovely and she can come back and say she's been there. ;)

I know! Wouldn't that be something! :)

I just got the $250 offer yesterday in an email. I'd like to take advantage of it. You do have 30 months to use it - not a bad deal at all.

I have my heart set on Venice next time (already planning that "next time"). I had wanted that port - it's my #1 choice, but it didn't work into the plan for this cruise.

Here's a question for the group... What are all of you doing about Euros? Getting some prior to leaving the States? Getting it all before leaving? A lot of members here on the board recommend having a chip ATM card. We don't have that. I'm nervous that we'll have some sort of access problem and that I'll be stuck without cash.

We're also planning our next time. :D I already told my husband I definitly wish to do a northern Europe cruise next year. I don't really mind which cruiseline as long as it has a really nice pool for my son, does Copenhagen, Helsinki and St. Petersburg and isn't too expensive - I'd rather have a balcony next year. And we have to travel in July or August, for professional reasons. And I'd rather depart from Copenhagen so we can visit Legoland and spend some extra time there. My husband has worked there for a year (professional training), before we met, so it would be nice to go back as a family now.

If we like NCL, I don't mind going with them in 2010. What's the $250 deal? You have different deals in the US, I believe... :confused:

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding an ATM or a place to exchange money at the airport. They even have ATM machines in lots of taxis now-a-days, at least here in Lisbon. I wouldn't worry about that. See what exchange rate is best for you. And be really careful at the airport, it's true what they say. I once went with a group of students to Barcelona and one of my students got mugged just as soon as we arrived at the airport. They took her wallet from inside her backpack, so they stole her money, credit card, etc. Thankfully she had her passport on another wallet.

mickeysgal: I don't think you'll have any trouble finding an ATM or a place to exchange money at the airport. They even have ATM machines in lots of taxis now-a-days, at least here in Lisbon. I wouldn't worry about that. See what exchange rate is best for you. And be really careful at the airport, it's true what they say. I once went with a group of students to Barcelona and one of my students got mugged just as soon as we arrived at the airport. They took her wallet from inside her backpack, so they stole her money, credit card, etc. Thankfully she had her passport on another wallet.

They have ATM's in taxi's? Wow, that's incredible.

I am so nervous about the pickpocketing issue in Barcelona. Thank you for the airport warning. We'll have to make sure all money, credit cards, passports, etc. are safe and secure before stepping off that plane.

Kids, I leave in 2 weeks! I am a normally a 43 year old man with the attention span of a 7 year old--how am I supposed to function in an adult world for the next two weeks?

If you figure it out, let me know. I feel the same way. I leave in less than 4 weeks and I feel that I have still so much to do and so little time and I'm having a hard time containing my excitement in order to get "regular" stuff done here at home.

Maybe by my upteenth cruise to Europe (yeah, right), I'll feel more reserved and casual about the whole thing, but this first time feeling is so over the top!

Did you get a good exchange rate? Was there a service fee?

Ok...I can see how the shoe thing would work. Uncomfortable, but it may work. My luck the room wouldn't be ready until the actual posted time of 3pm and I'd have to walk around all day like that. :D

The exchange rate was $1.38, with no service fee. There WAS a $10 delivery fee, tho.

You made me think of the Princess and the Pea...lol.

I'd like to see a menu for the main dinning room. I booked the romance package and would like to plan ahead what night to go to the La Bistro.

Dressing up, I'll be bringing 1 sport jacket because I like wearing one when I travel, for all the pockets. My wife will bring a skirt or 2.

Euros, hmmm, I guess I should get an ATM. But I'll get a few Euros before I leave. I just got a new credit card (to replace my NCL card) that doesn't charge a conversion fee.

How about the language? I've been teaching myself Spanish the past few weeks for our stay in Barcelona. I'm thinking for cabs and smaller restaurants.

Chapichapo, Is your Portuguese understood in Spain and Italy? I learned a little when I was in Brazil.(1973)

mmm I don't think so. At least the spanish don't even make an effort. But really, I've never seen that happen. I speak spanish and italian, at least I can make myself understood but if I ever tried in portuguese I'm almost sure they would understand very little. Sometimes it can help with a word you don't remember and that someone might know in portuguese but in general, we either speak their language or english. Some italians also speak french. I think italians make a bigger effort. But there's always someone who speaks english.

I was thinking this very same thing. Maybe one day we can manage to go on a CC cruise together. Maybe even better, we will just stowaway with Richstan, then stay with Mississippi, then buck with me, and hang around for Mickeysgal. How's that for a plan? Wait a minute, do I have us in the right order? I leave in 7 weeks.

RichstanI so know what you mean; I've been that way for weeks. I'm such a big kid too.

Hat, you give wonderful advice - thank-you.

Everyone And about the money thing, I'm getting a few hundred euros from my bank to get me started, talk to them about my cards, and wear an undergarment money belt. If I have change, I might wrap it in a handkerchief like my Grandma and stuff it in my bra; God rest her soul! :D

Don't get too worried about the money. I have traveled a lot here in Europe and what you need to do is just have your money well kept, and hold on to it. In the case of my student, she had her wallet in her backpack and was stolen in the stairs, it was that easy. When you are tired you can "forget" your wallet in the back of the chair, for ex... this is an easy way to get mugged. You just have to hold on firmly to your wallet... wherever you keep it :o hehe

I don't think it is very different from what you have to do in a big airport in the US. It just seems scarier when we are away from home. ;)

We always used money belts and felt them quite comfortable. Remember the problem is pick pockets not mugging.

On our first visit to Barcelona we were in a largish group. During check in at the hotel, one couple found their cases gone.

The Receptionist calmly said "Yes this often happens. When a group arrives someone at the bar just gets up, picks up the bags and walks out. Safe in the knowledge that during the confusion during check in no one will notice"

So - keep your wits about you at all times. But don't become paranoid or you won't have any fun at all. I would just put the cash, tickets and pass ports somewhere safe on me and not in a bag or easily reached pocket.

Today the beautiful Gem leaves NYC for Barcelona!

And Richstan will be there waiting for her when she arrives in just 15 looooooong days....

Hurry back, Richstan, 'cause I'll be standing there waiting for you.

Who's after me? Anybody departing May 17? Let's make a GEM chain!

I just looked at the roll call and it looks like Mickeysgal leaves on the 17th. So looks like I will get the benefit of all of your experiences. I'm just jealous that I'm not getting to go with you guys. I'm still excited for you though and hope you find a way to maybe say hi on here while you're gone. Think that's possible anyone?

So - keep your wits about you at all times. But don't become paranoid or you won't have any fun at all. I would just put the cash, tickets and pass ports somewhere safe on me and not in a bag or easily reached pocket.

This is what I'm afraid of...that I'll be so worried about safety that I'll forget to enjoy myself.

Today the beautiful Gem leaves NYC for Barcelona!

And Richstan will be there waiting for her when she arrives in just 15 looooooong days....

Hurry back, Richstan, 'cause I'll be standing there waiting for you.

Who's after me? Anybody departing May 17? Let's make a GEM chain!

Richstan, you better get ready for a whole bunch of questions when you return. :eek:

Mississippi, you get the ship ready for me! You'll be leaving as I'm arriving. :cool:

I just looked at the roll call and it looks like Mickeysgal leaves on the 17th. So looks like I will get the benefit of all of your experiences. I'm just jealous that I'm not getting to go with you guys. I'm still excited for you though and hope you find a way to maybe say hi on here while you're gone. Think that's possible anyone?

Yep, that will be me on the 17th! I'm not ready!! I still have to learn the Barcelona transportation system in relation to the places I want to see. I'm totally confused about that. I still have clothes shopping to do...including walking shoes that look good with capris. So far, no luck.

I am going to try to stay in contact somehow. I have to check on my kids. Not sure if I'm going to buy a small internet package or will rent an international phone from Verizon.

How are all of you going to stay in touch with family here at home?

THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS!!!

Archived