Alternatives to Duvets

CintiPam

My husband and I have very different sleeping temperature comfort zones, so last September on Oceania, I used a sheet when sleeping while he comfortably used the duvet. I really would prefer a light cotton blanket on top of the sheet.

Are there any alternative light blankets available upon request to the cabin attendants? (Our friendly attendant last fall was new to the ship, and indicated that there was nothing else available.)

Thank you in advance for your responses to this question. (BTW, I had the same issue the previous year at our lovely B&B in Bayeux; duvets simply are too heavy for me except in the winter).

Weeks before your voyage, call (or have your TA call) Oceania that you would like to have your beds made up as two single beds with such and such on one and such and such on the other, and have these two single beds pushed together adjoining each other to form one large bed. That should solve your problem!

Both are available. The bed is made up with a duvet, but a word to the cabin attendant and they will change to a light blanket with sheet above and below the blanket. We do it all the time. The attendant will change the arrangement while you are at dinner.

CintiPam,

When my wife and I were on the Regatta in January 2008, I found the duvet too heavy and warm. I spoke to our cabin attendant who said she could replace the regular duvet with a lighter, cooler duvet if we wished. It worked perfectly. If your husband was not warm enough with the lighter duvet, they could add a blanket on top of the duvet on his side of the bed. Hope this helps.

Dave

When we sailed the Amazon two years ago, there was no way I could stand the warmth of the duvet, but Betsy really needs the duvet if the AC is down even a little. I spoke to our cabin attendant, and her solution was to remove the queen size duvet and replace it with a single duvet on Betsy's side, and a much lighter arrangement on my side, even thought the beds remained together as a Queen bed.

However, the thought of the bed looking mismatched during the day was horrifying to her, so she started with two single duvets on the bed. Each evening, she rolled up one of the duvets and stored it beside the sofa, then each morning she unrolled it and placed it on the bed to make the bed appear uniform.

We tried to explain to her that we really didn't care if one side of the bed was a little lower than the other side, and she didn't need to do all that extra work for our sake. But, she would hear nothing of it, shrugged us off and continued to do it her way.

Needless to say, she kept the rest of the cabin as perfect as that perfectly level height of the bed clothes, and both Betsy and I slept in perfect comfort.

We tried to explain to her that we really didn't care if one side of the bed was a little lower than the other side, and she didn't need to do all that extra work for our sake. But, she would hear nothing of it, shrugged us off and continued to do it her way.

Besides, it wouldn't look good to her supervisor and co-workers, and she wouldn't want to have to explain it to everybody.

On our March 9th T/A our stewardess gave us both a sheet AND a light blanket. That way when it got to warm for the duvet, both of us had another option ...

My husband grew up hating tucked in sheets and in fact just MUST have his own cover. So we always ask for a separate sheet even when the warmth of the duvet isn't part of the equation. Over the years I've gotten used to having my own covering as well.

The cabin stewards are well used to such questions, I think.

Archived