Discounting is going too far!

retailoil

But what if a cruise had so many pax breaking signficant rules (smoking, attire, chair hogging, etc.) that the crew was overwhelmed, could not meaningfully enforce the rules, and essentially just let things go? I have not seen seen this on a cruise ship but have in other instances so I can foresee that this situation could happen on a ship.

This was exactly our experience on Galaxy out of San Juan - 12/14/2001. It was a miserable week for us. Very happy to get off the ship at disembarkation.:mad: (That was the only cruise I've seen/smelled people very openly smoking drugs -- not cigarettes/cigars, vandalism, dancing on the tables 'round the clock, etc)

1) San Juan is advertised in many countries as a THE port of departure for people who don't have, can't obtain or can't afford a US Visa. That certainly attracts certain "demographics" during certain times of the year.

2) To me "class" involves good manners and culture but also a certain level of sophistication acquired living in style which does require some good amount of money. Of course, having the money does not guarantee that you will have class. Most times it does not happen.

3) Caribbean is not a classy but a popular affordable destination. I would not have expectations of a classy vacation on any ship cruising the Caribbean with other 3,000 people.

4) Despite what I said in point 1), most of the rude, noisy, drunk, not classy people which I see every year in the Caribbean area do not come from countries in Central and South America as was suggested by 2 posters.

The opposite is often true. Last May, when we had our very nicely discounted British Isles voyage aboard the Century, the timing was such that the pre-cruise days we spent in San Francisco happened to coincide with a cardiologist convention requiring 7,500 rooms (are there that many cardiologists?) As a result, hotel room rates doubled, and we paid paws for it, luckily only for three days .. meow!

I've also noticed that when a large block of rooms is reserved for a convention, the convention rates are substantially discounted but the other rooms in the hotel are higher than usual. A few years ago I was at a hotel for a convention with my husband where we got a convention rate of $150 per night, while other people at the hotel, who were not part of the convention, were paying $350 per night. At other times when we stayed at that same hotel, without a convention taking place, the cost of our room was $250 per night.

To the OP and supporters, this is the most distasteful thread I've ever read on Cruise Critic. We have 4 cruises booked on Celebrity later this year and into next year and if you are the type of people I can expect to meet.................UCK!!!!:mad:

Fortunately, we've taken a couple of Celebrity cruises this year and I know you all are in a very sad and sorry minority.

To me "class" involves good manners and culture but also a certain level of sophistication acquired living in style which does require some good amount of money.

Classy people do not need to define what it is. What you've described is a snob.

To the OP and supporters, this is the most distasteful thread I've ever read on Cruise Critic.

I agree. And to those who would label taking offense at some of the statements made in this thread as "PC" - one person's PC is another person's heartfelt tenet.

Classy people do not need to define what it is. What you've described is a snob.

Amen...some of the "classiest" people I've met have little money, or sophistication but a truly great character. I do NOT consider myself "classy", I'm a little too judgmental. My Dh comes closest, an he isn't any of the things listed as necessary to be "classy", either, but has a great amount of character. (Friends on one cruise even called him a "hero"...he's always been Mine):D

I have news for all of you. The term "classy", itself, is not part of the vocabulary of the people of the upper echelons of society.

As for the term "snob". I tend to share Bridge Maven's definition.

Most of us do not want to hear others yelling, fighting, using foul language, throwing food, dressing like slobs,pushing and shoving ( and whatever other obnoxious behavior was described here).

But, to blame it on a particular nationality is wrong.

Remember the saying "two wrongs don't make a right". This especially applies to the woman who threatened to make a scene unless the sloppy people behind her were removed from the mdr. That's real chutzpah!

It appears to me that some posters want to "live the elegant dream". They want an atmosphere that evokes the first class level in the movie Titanic. Unfortunately for them, it is now the 21st century, and many of the other 2 or 3 thousand pax do not share their dream. Telling them to change their ways or change their cruisline is not going to work. The best thing is to forget about them and get on with your lives. Dress up as much as you like and enjoy yourself. Focus on the other people who are dressed like you and not on the few who are not. Guaranteed you will have a better time!

And these are my words of wisdom along with my morning coffee!!!

We just returned from a five day cruise on the Century out of Miami and had the same experience as Retailoil. Like another respondent I would like to say that if observing the dress code and having civilized manner (like saying thank you EVERYTIME someone does something for you, like waiting for another and another elevator car when all the pushy people take the first two, like not picking fights with another table in the Grand Dining Room, like not taking 7(seven) lounge chairs for all day without using them, if all this is the case, then call me a snob and make me proud.

It doesn't take a full wallet to have manners, good grooming and civility towards others. We observed too many wife beater tank tops on men, coupled with flannel pants--(really attractive stuff). This is not class warfare, just warfare between those who follow the rules, and those who don't. It's not about economics, race, religion or ethnicity so stop pretending that it is. Just rules folks. Follow them and the world is a better place.

How sad for Century which is such an elegant ship. Also sorry you to had such a negative experience. Maybe Miami , Springtime & short cruises at discounted rates are not a good combo... Our bad experience was Miami & Easter--but it was a 10/11 day on Brilliance.

More & more this may occur--not sure how to avoid it..

How sad for Century which is such an elegant ship. Also sorry you to had such a negative experience. Maybe Miami , Springtime & short cruises at discounted rates are not a good combo... Our bad experience was Miami & Easter--but it was a 10/11 day on Brilliance.

More & more this may occur--not sure how to avoid it..

Unfortunately, it can't be avoided, so the best thing to do is try to ignore it and not let it wreck your cruise.

FYI, I was on the Century for the 5 day March 5th cruise, the first week of college spring break and we had no problems. To be honest, some grown ups were more poorly dressed and less well behaved than the breakers. One thing I can say, that certainly didn't effect my cruise one bit.

Rules are there for a reason- If the line publishes them- which X does- then they must be held accountable to enforce them as well. It is really that simple.

I know I can't change society, I can only influence my behavior and that of my family. However I also wont continue to sail on a particular brand if they choose not to enforce the rules they have set forth.

And I quote:

" On every Celebrity vessel, we arer committed to providing every guest with a cruise vacation that is a touch above. To further ensure that you and fellow guests receive exactly that, we have developed a Guest Conduct Policy..a violation of (said policy) is cause for appropriate corrective action..." These policies include public behavior, dress code, chair hogging, health issues, saftey issues and the like.

As far as all of the posts about class, or snobs, or whatever one chooses to call it.. There have been some posters who have stated that "class" (or perhaps more apt, "grace") is exhibited by those who do not make those who don't follow rules feel uncomfortable...which is valid.

However, that is only HALF of the equation- it goes both ways. Class is also not deliberately breaking published rules, or decorum, and thereby causing others feel uncomfortable.

Neither of those behaviors have anything to do with income, nationality, skin color, language preference or any other stratification of humanity.

I hope that my cruise in a few weeks is unblemished, and up to this point I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with X. However if I feel X does not live up to the contract they put forth, I will look for another line for our next trip that will.

Even though I follow whatever dress code is in place, if someone else doesn't it has no effect whatsoever on my enjoyment of a cruise. What does ruin it for me, though, is when someone makes a scene because a fellow passenger did not follow the dress code or a group of well dressed people are so loud that I can barely hear the person sitting next to me at dinner.

Archived