Latest Seabourn Club Herald (V.19,No 1)

JaneBP

Question, where was the picture of the couples enjoying champagne on page 16 taken? One of the larger suites? I just don't remember a credenza in the Club.

Nice to see the pictures of Jo Polemans. Did he and Barbara get married?

6 months and counting......

Jane

I don't think the photo was taken in the Club or the Constellation Lounge. I don't reconize the glass table or the desk/chair in the background. Hmmm ???:confused: Maybe in one of the owner's suites ~~

Yes, Jo and Barbara did marry ~~such a lovely couple! Both will be going to the Odyssey.

Have a good week!

Martita B.

Thanks, Martha!

Perhaps I shouldn't read the magazine so closely! But I always look for staff whom I know. I know they use models for the cruisers, so I don't bother with them.

Now I am off to peruse the new catalogue......wistfully, of course.

A couple of years ago when they were shooting pictures for the Seabourn catalog my cute 'lit stewardess was selected as one of the models. She was scared to death and begged me to accompany her to the suite where the shooting was to be held ~~~! I see her picture from time to time in the catalog. I wasn't that impressed with the actual "Hollywood" type models. I wish pictures in our catalog were of the Seabourn Guests!

MB

A couple of years ago when they were shooting pictures for the Seabourn catalog my cute 'lit stewardess was selected as one of the models. She was scared to death and begged me to accompany her to the suite where the shooting was to be held ~~~! I see her picture from time to time in the catalog. I wasn't that impressed with the actual "Hollywood" type models. I wish pictures in our catalog were of the Seabourn Guests!

MB

I agree Martha, they should use some photos of some of the passengers- most are quite a good looking bunch! We were on a sailing when they were taking catalogue model photos. The models stuck to themselves, and were extremely un-friendly. Several passengers tried to converse with them, but were snubbed. How funny is that??? :D

Host Dan

Dan

I really miss pictures of the Seabourn Guests in the Herald. I so enjoyed seeing friends in different areas of the world.

We were aboard the Pride in hurricane Noah when the catalog "shootings" were being held......all the camera crews, models, Blue Lagoon marketing folks, etc. were all over the ship ~~~lights, long black cords, etc. blocked our stairs and corridors some days. And I agree, the models weren't very friendly with the Pride Guests. But, we were having too much fun to care ~~;)

MB

How about some photos of models who are more ethnically diverse? Of course, this is an old pet peeve of mine. Makes Seabourn look biased in my opinion.

I imagine new cruisers are not surprised to find out that we don't look like the models.....at least I don't!

In the older issues of the Herald magazine several of the back pages always had photos of Seabourn Guests ~~ I looked forward to seeing these pictures. One issue several years ago even Captain Toenis T, JB and myself were featured during a "Texas" party.

I do wish marketing would advertise fine diamonds and gems less....

and feature the Guests and the Seabourn Staff more.

Martita B.

As to the Seabourn Photo Contest one year Norman won an big award for his picture of two young South American children sitting on a large rock (pillar) It was stunning!

Norm, would it be possible for you to post your "Blue Ribbon" photo here?

Martita B.

post script: Pleeeeze

don't post the photo of us

when the Pride fire hose got

loose at the Sky Bar and knocked

me off my stool....and soaked us!

I think TPTB could eliminate one glossy article and include photos/news about Club Members and the Staff Highlights. That's what I look for and enjoy the most. Then I skip most of the rest. If they want us to linger and peruse the ads, it should be more interesting from a personal standout. I agree about missing the photo contest.

I think when Seabourn discontinued our ship's photographer's the "Photo Contests" were no longer held ~~a shame, as the Guest's enjoyed seeing these Seabourn pictures so much.

I look at the old Herald issues from time to time remembering happy times/memories ~~~:D

Martita B.

It would be nice if the company would take some interest in their "guests"..like capt. G.A. does. He goes to such lengths to make everyone feel like family..and his photos reflect that. I agree..the Herald should not just be A Commercial enterprise. I do enjoy when they do features on crew and staff members.

Don

Captain Geir-Arne boarded the Legend yesterday in Funchal ~~surprised 'em! He has 10 photos up this morning on his photo web site ~~ I would have loved to have seen him sittin' on his luggage on the Madeira dock awaiting the Legend's arrival early yesterday morning!:D

Take a look at his new photos ~~

MB

Yes, with Marcel and G-A taking such terrific pictures, doesn't seem to be a need for Seabourn to hire a firm to do it. There is a fine line when things are staged and overproduced, especially for the Herald, which I assume is out-sourced. I would be happy with a newspaper with more personal articles and photos.

Jane

I totally agree ~~we should mention a "Seabourn Newspaper" to Seabourn's VP of Marketing, Adam S. With pictures of Guests and Staff ~~:p

Martita B.

And I'll ask him another

question, "what happened to

our cocktail table sterling silver

bud vases? And the Early Bird

cups?

I've long felt that Seabourn's marketing department gives an erroneous, even phony, impression of what a Seabourn cruise is all about. They emphasize all the things that aren't there--glitz, glamour, "exclusiveness," Hollywood-style passengers. It's almost as if they lack faith in the fundamental appeal of their product--excellent service combined with an interesting, well-traveled and unpretentious group of passengers. And I am surprised that they have continued with a virtually all-white, all-youth hotel staff on the ships. While I'm not a fan of politically-correct "diversity" their personnel policies certainly seem out-of-step with the times.

The glitzy publications are not what make me want to cruise with Seabourn, it is precisely what Cruiseguy said. That's what potential sailors ask about here on the BB, too. Publishing photos of the crew tug of war, for example, makes me want to call and sign up right now!

Last fall when we were on the Legend for two weeks in the western Med the models (two youngish couples -- blonde guys with brunette woman and blonde woman with brunette guy) that you see in the new catalog were on board for that photo shoot. They used one whole suite just to store wardrobe. Unfortunately for them the weather was unseasonably cool and I felt very sorry for them the day they were in the water "enjoying" the water sports inthe cold water. I found out the shoot was scheduled on short notice and since the ship was already fully booked they faced a big problem-- they needed a number of suites.So they contacted some Virtuoso agents and askedthem to ask their clients if in return for a free one week cruise they would give up their suite. Our agent tried to get ahold of us but we had already left the country. I am actually just as glad because we met a few lovely couples, with whom we have since become good friends, and I know if I had know about the offer I would have been tempted.

Archived