Dominican Republic - special permission

luckynumber6

Though my husband and I have cruised just us many times - this is the first time taking our kids. Wow! ... so much more to worry about, but I am sure the kids will love it and we will have many more cruises as a family....BUT I have a question... On another website that deals with cruising that I just randomly looked at ( as of course I love Cruise Critic!) there was a rather large thread about entering and leaving the Dominican Republic with your children. For the life of me, I cannot remember the other site as I tried to goback and read it again, but it made me nervous about booking to there in the future and I just want to clear up what I read.

I know there has been conversation about having signed/notarized travel documents if you are not travelling with both parents.... but this other site talked about that not only do you need that, but you also need this special form from the DOminican Republic that cost about $40 and you get the form from their government....that lets you leave with your child if both parents are not present and you have to have this form for permission??!!!

Please let me say I do not know the validity of this at all. I am only putting it out there as I know there are many expert travelers that read the posts here.... I am going to try to find more information about this, but if you know could you tell me ....

Thanks in advance for any information!

This is direct from the US Department of State webpage, but is somewhat confusing, as it seems to be talking about someone who is a resident of the DR, not just a visitor. I would recommend you check this out yourself and not rely on chat board advice.

TRAVEL OF CHILDREN AND EXIT REQUIREMENTS : Strict exit requirements apply to minors under 18 years of age (of any nationality) who are residents in the Dominican Republic. Such children traveling alone, without one parent, or with anyone other than the parent(s), must present written authorization from a parent or legal guardian. This authorization must be in Spanish, and it must be notarized at a Dominican consulate in the United States or notarized and then certified at the Dominican Attorney General’s office (Procuraduria de la Republica) if done in the Dominican Republic. Though not a requirement for non-resident minors (in the Dominican Republic), the U.S. Embassy recommends that any minor traveling to the Dominican Republic without one or both parents have a notarized document from the parent(s). In addition to clarifying the reason for travel, this will facilitate departure from the Dominican Republic

Here is a link to information about this question, right to the source, the Dominican Republic Consulate:

http://www.domrep.org/faqconsular.html

The above info is for people traveling without both parents.

I have never seen anyone traveling to the Dominican Republic (by ship) have an issue like mentioned in the original post.

So I would be interested to go and read the other site if you ever find it again. But I have never heard of an issue like that. And at this point, I think we would have. ;)

Thank you for your responses both of you.... I agree cruisinmama - I really would have thought we would have seen it on these boards before if an issue. I will try to find where I found it... but that could be a needle in a haystack on the internet... and I think I am going to email consulat (sp?) perhaps to get clarification....

If visiting by cruiseship required that of every passenger with kids, the cruiseline wouldn't bother going there---it would just be too much trouble!

The rules are different for cruise passengers than they are for visitors arriving by plane and staying for days!!!

We were just in Samana, DR a few weeks ago and we had a passport for DS. No one checked the passports either getting off the ship or getting back on. There was a person sitting at the pier, but he just waved us through once he saw our ship cards.

I just make sure that I bring our passports (kids/babies included) when we get off the ship in a port other than the USA. It probably isn't necessary but it can't hurt.

Except when someone steals your bag in port and it was holding your passport, then you have to wait until the embassy opens on a weekday to get your passports replaced...meanwhile the ship has sailed on without ya. :eek: Yeah it happened on a RCCL ship. The thread is on the RCCL board.

I will not take my passports off the ship. Good, bad or indifferent. In my mind there is a better chance of someone stealing my passports while off the ship in comparison with missing the ship and needing to fly home with passports. :(

Archived