Which one: arnival Dream Balcony or Oasis Inside Stateroom?

whitenack

Run-on sentence alert!

I know these are impossible questions to answer, and usually the RC fans will vote for RC cruises and the Carnival fans will vote for the Carnival cruise, and the only good answer will be "whatever suits you best", but I thought I would just throw this out and start some discussion to see if I have thought of everything.

My wife and I are planning a cruise for our 10th anniversary in early April, 2011.

We are considering:

A large interior stateroom on Oasis of the Seas, deck 6, for $1099 pp, or...

A stateroom w/ balcony on Carnival Dream, deck 2, for $809 pp

Our attraction to Oasis:

• The biggest cruise ship ever to sail - pretty cool
  • Larger ship means better for seasickness (wife is worried about it) - even though both are big and it probably won't be an issue at either ship, technically the bigger ship will be better
  • cool places on the ship (7 neighborhoods)
  • Has a dolphin ride & swim at one of the ports (as opposed to just a dolphin touch with Carnival) - I have always wanted to do this.
  • Has outdoor water theater and other cool features not seen anywhere else

Our attraction to Dream:

• More affordable - can get a balcony for less money than the cheapest option on Oasis
  • More ports of call than Oasis (4 vs 3)
  • Has an "Amazing Race" -style land excursion - that would be really fun
  • Has outdoor movie theater - would be really cool but it depends on the movie they play
  • Saving money on the room allows for more "extras" during the cruise

A few thoughts I have on this...

• The Oasis is the better ship, and the Dream has the price and the ports.
  • Since we are first-time cruisers, I don't think we are going to care as much about the ports of call because we will be so impresse with the boat.
  • I think that we will be blown away no matter what we chose due to ANY cruise being unlike anything we have experienced before, so a simple interior stateroom will be impressive. However, for less money, a balcony should be that much MORE impressive.
  • I am assuming that a balcony on the 2nd deck of the Dream would be a better room than an interior room on the 6th deck of the Oasis. Would that be correct?
  • I am assuming the dining experience will be pretty much the same with both. Neither will be the best of the best, but both will be more than enough to impress a first-time cruiser.

As an inexperienced cruiser, is there anything else I should be thinking about? Anything, in your opinion, to consider? Or, anything I am considering that I should not?

Your time is appreciated.

Id wait for the Oasis price to drop and do it later. Prices will have to come down.

zipline on the Oasis and other factors aside, do the Dream now, and put the Oasis in the later category.... when it has time to age a bit. It will still have the same features.

I book RCL last minute, because I get better deals last minute than further out. For a anniversary Id want to plan in advance, so book the Dream and dream away.

I would book the balcony stateroom on the Dream. Being a first time cruiser you will LOVE having a balcony. It allows you to enjoy more time in your room. You have the advantage of seeing the ports, as you arrive early in the morning, from your stateroom. It is so nice to sit on your private balcony and sip a glad of wine and enjoy the view. Oasis sounds incredible-out of this world, really, so why do that as your first cruise/ Nothing else will compare!

I have only cruised two times-both on Carnival ships (Miracle and valor)-once with a balcony and once with an inside room. While both cruises were wonderful, I absolutely LOVED having a balcony and missed it terribly on our second cruise this past March where we had an inside room.

My other concern about Oasis is that there are soooo many restaurants that charge extra so if you have spent all your money on the room, you won't be able to enjoy going to all the restaurants. On Carnival we enjoy the main dining room (no extra charge) and assume Dream will have the same.

As for tours and shore excursions, you are not limited to what is offered by the ship-there are many reputable excursion companies. Start by looking on these boards and you will find that you probably can do whatever type of excursion you want, even if the ship doesn't offer it.

Whatever you decide, I don't think you can go wrong!

I have this problem every time I am booking a cruise. I do enjoy RCCL,but I prefer to have a balcony for less then an inside for more money. I really don't think the Oasis prices are going to come down too much. The FOS and the IOS are still high in price during peak times. Are the itineraries similar? I would book the Dream. Keep watching the Oasis pricing and maybe it will come down. I know that Easter/ Passover week is April 16th in 2011- FYI. Did you consider the new NCL Epic?

I agree that if Oasis is your choice what could possibly top it.NOTHING ...NO OTHER SHIP has that many bells and whistles but at what cost>>>>>>

However a balcony is what you really want no matter what.

If $$$$ is the issue go with the Dream which will still be lovely and within your price range.I too wanted to go on Oasis but it is DOUBLE everyone else ...so no GO.

I booked NCL for the ports

I am waiting for Oasis prices to go down ...REMEMber they have to have 5000 guests!!! that is A LOT so I will wait .I may not be able to go right away but ALLure is also coming out Patience is a virtue!!!

I have been on Freedom OTS..It WAS FABULOUS!!!

I will some time try those 2 but I will wait for prices to be more within my range.In this economy prices will go down

My other concern about Oasis is that there are soooo many restaurants that charge extra !

Just curious what new restaurants would they have. I know the newer ships have both a Chops and a Portofino's and I guess a Johnny Rockets. Johnny Rockets has a charge of $4.95 and is free one time once you are a gold member, your 2nd RCL cruise, so I dont count Johnny Rockets but you might.

Are there other new restaurants? Iv always been happy with just eating for free in the dining room which is always a option. Some people prefer having another choice on a special night for $25 or $30. Some criticize the Triumph and smaller ships on Carnival because they dont have a pay restaurant .... doesnt bother me one way or another.

OP I dont see how you can go wrong with either. I think a balcony would be special on this cruise is all. .... and Im a RCL fan telling you I would pick the Dream under your circumstances.

I just wouldnt pay that much extra for any ship over another out of the same port.

I vote both :)

I'd do the Dream first, to see if you like crusing (I mean, how can you not?), and then book Oasis the next year, when the prices go down.

I booked Oasis, and the destianation for me will be the ship. I loved RC's Liberty of the Seas, and can't imagine a larger ship that that one. But I do love the smaller ships and the Dream seems to be very nice. I plan on doing the reverse... doing Oasis in 2010, and Dream in 2011.

OK, my two cents is that this is your 10th anniversary and a balcony room seems more fit for a romantic cruise than an inside. Also, with the money you'll save you could get a little pampering in the spa or go to the supper club on your anniversary night. I agree that the Oasis is going to be a ship that nothing else could compare to. In that respect, you could argue why not do the biggest and best out there? The price difference isn't much, but it's comparing an inside to a balcony, and those inside rooms can feel a little small. There's nothing romantic about them to me that can compare with the balcony room.

I agree that once you cruise once, you'll be back. The Oasis is quite an undertaking for a first timer. I'm sure it will be awe-inspiring, but I can't imagine going on it as a first time cruiser. Save it for when you're a little more experienced.

I don't blame you if you go with the Oasis, but the Dream would have to be my recommendation for you. I'm sure those on the RCI board will disagree! I'd love to try RCI myself, but they don't sail short cruises anywhere near me and I prefer to drive to the port.

As a newbie? On a ship the size of Oasis, I would be completely and utterly overwhelmed. Dream would probably be too much ship with too many people and too many things-to-do options, too.

My first cruise was Jubilee and I thought she was enormous! :p

I don't know. It's your money; your cruise; your anniversary.

Pick whatever sounds good to you. A balcony is absolutely not a necessary, but if I could have a balcony for less than an inside, I'd do that.

But I'm not interested in bigger, newer ships. I sail to get to the ports, so the cheaper, smaller, older ships work just great for me. Means I get to sail more often, and that is what is important to me. They're great vacation values, imho.

Bigger/newer/more bells and whistles does NOT equal "better" for me.

But if you think that's important for you, book what you're comfortable booking and dont second guess your decision.

hmmm.....I'm a big RCCL fan but moved to CCL Dream (we had the Oasis booked for August 7, 2010). We have over 10+ cruises on RCCL and the kids love to sail on them over DCL and NCL. My dh and I sailed CCL in 2002 on Fasination and were very underwhelmed and swore never to cruise CCL again, BUT

We were (on Oasis) are (on Dream) booked in an inside triple and a balcony triple.

By booking ES on CCL we saved over $3,500. It is a present for my dd's 16th birthday so she is brining her two close friends so the price was big to us. We still have on board charges for six and flights.

Anyway, for your anniversary, I would definately get a balcony.

How much is the price difference between CCL Dream Balcony (not sure what Cat. you are looking at) and, for instance, an oceanview balcony on Deck 8 on RCCL or Central Park balcony.

From that price, I would base my decision.

My first "must have" is the balcony.

I personally love sea days so an extra day at sea on Oasis would be wonderful. You'll need all that time to do everything you want to do.

Do not base your price on Dream on the ES rate. If it is not too much more, could you save the difference?

Let us know what you decide. I'm curious to know.

I agree with much of what has already been said. IMHO, I would go with The Dream due to the balcony, for a cheaper price. That being said, you could always save up your cash and do The Oasis with a balcony later on down the line. I think once you're booked into a balcony, the happier you will be. Very Romantic.

Sonicbuffalo

Another vote for the Dream ;)

(and this coming from a Royal Fanatic who has NEVER sailed Carnival!:eek:)

But....we were also looking at cruising the Oasis in March of 2011, only to see the pricing. Yikes!

Then I heard a bit about this Dream, started researching the ship and now I think we are going to "jump ship" for this cruise.

You can't beat the price, gotta love that waterslide, not to mention the fun outdoor movie theater!

I have also heard that these are the "Fun" ships...and our group loves to dance!

To the OP...that category of balcony (7a on deck 2 - see! told you I was researching!!) looks like a pretty cool option...quite low down, I bet you can almost feel the seaspray in your face!

Oh! And I love the ports much better!!! (Western)

Go for it! It will be fabulous!!!

(And what we are saving will pretty much cover our airfare.):D

First off, thanks for all of the responses. Normally, when you see these kinds of questions on other message boards, most of the responses are quick little "Only you know the answer to that question" answers. I appreciate the fact that you all took the time to give your opinions.

How much is the price difference between CCL Dream Balcony (not sure what Cat. you are looking at) and, for instance, an oceanview balcony on Deck 8 on RCCL or Central Park balcony.

From that price, I would base my decision.

My first "must have" is the balcony.

I personally love sea days so an extra day at sea on Oasis would be wonderful. You'll need all that time to do everything you want to do.

Do not base your price on Dream on the ES rate. If it is not too much more, could you save the difference?

Let us know what you decide. I'm curious to know.

The Early Saver price of $809 is for a 2nd deck balcony (cat. 7A)

The non ES price for the same room is $949

The cheapest oceanview balcony on Oasis (deck 6, 7, or 8) is $1349.

The cheapest Central Park balcony on Oasis (11, 14) is $1469.

Multiply that by 2 and you are talking about a pretty good chunk of change.

I know that Easter/ Passover week is April 16th in 2011- FYI. Did you consider the new NCL Epic?

You know, I hadn't even thought about this! Thanks. Our anniversary is on the 7th, so we will choose a cruise that returns the week before. Missing Palm Sunday will be a bummer, but missing Easter Sunday would be a deal-breaker.

While we are on the subject of rooms, help me with the room location on the Dream. When looking at the available 7A rooms on Deck 2, most of the rooms are in the front 1/3rd of the ship, near the elevators. I assume I want to be as far away from the elevators as possible for noise (not to mention closer to the center of the ship). Room #2288 is furthest from the elevators, but it is directly across the hall from a white'ed out room.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/ships/carnival_dream/Deckplan2.aspx

What would this be? Maintenance closet? Crews' quarters? I have read posts on here warning of noisy neighbors. Would this be cause of concern? Also, right above all of these rooms will be the Crimson Restaurant. Will this be a problem?

Hi whitenack,

Is that slang for a redneck, LOL? Just kidding, I am a fellow Kentuckian, via Alabama and Pennsylvania (which decidedly did NOT take the southern out of the girl thank God). Ok, instead of asking our opinions about what we would like, maybe asking us some pertinent questions that you need to consider for yourselves:

1. How are you with crowds? You'll have about 2000+ more "pals" on the Oasis. I don't care how many eating and other venues they say they're going to have, you can imagine that 5000+ people on what is going to be a finite (albeit large) space is going to look like. If you all are folks who like to go somewhere for R&R then I doubt the Oasis will be for you (though I surmise just by the fact that you are considering it that you don't cruise to rest). Not to mention the embarking and debarking of 5000 people. If you do a search for "debarking fiasco" or something similar, you can read what debarking 3000 people looks like (pretty darn ugly!). I cannot fathom what adding 2000 more of my closest friends is going to look like :eek:

2. Are you room people or on the go people? If you are room people, I would, without a doubt, take the balcony, you will fall in love with it, become an official "balcony snob" (balcony club member is a whole separate issue ;)--think, mile high club for the balcony) and [probably] never look back. OTOH, if you are on the go people and will only use the room to sleep and you know :D then, stay with the inside, as paying for a balcony that you will likely never use is moot.

3. Are you the kind of people who must, must, must try out the new restaurant in town before everyone else, never mind that it has a 2 hour wait because there are others that think like you as well? Then pick the Oasis. If, OTOH, you are the kind of people that think that standing in line for 2 hours for something that will be right there in 6 months is ridiculous, go with the Dream.

4. How important is that 4th port stop? Once you figure out what category you're in above, then decide if that 4th port is a make-or-break. Like the ships (and the new restaurants in town) the islands will be there in the future for you. Something to consider though, there is so much to see and do on the Oasis that you might actually be thankful that you had less port time just to get it all in (and quite frankly, I don't see how anyone who is planning to not sleep for a week COULD take it all in). So, if you find by process of elimination that the Oasis is right for you (based on the criteria above) then use the ship as your 4th port stop and just spend an entire day exploring every nook and cranny.

5. Look inside yourselves and talk about what your expectations are for each ship and each itinerary. We can all tell you what we like but, really, is completely irrelevant to what you and your wife are looking for in this trip.

Congrats on the 10th!!

First off, thanks for all of the responses. Normally, when you see these kinds of questions on other message boards, most of the responses are quick little "Only you know the answer to that question" answers. I appreciate the fact that you all took the time to give your opinions.

The Early Saver price of $809 is for a 2nd deck balcony (cat. 7A)

The non ES price for the same room is $949

The cheapest oceanview balcony on Oasis (deck 6, 7, or 8) is $1349.

The cheapest Central Park balcony on Oasis (11, 14) is $1469.

Multiply that by 2 and you are talking about a pretty good chunk of change.

I agree with you $800 is a big chunk of change.

IF it were not your first cruise, I know I am in the minority, but I would say book the Oasis and you have two years to make up the difference.

BUT, being it is your first cruise and you have nothing else to compare, I would say book the Dream. Heck, I did it LOL

When my dh and I first cruised, my mom paid for us. She and her husband were in a balcony and my dh and I were on Deck 2, in a VERY small inside with our cabin being on the same deck as some of the crew! We used our TV as a "window" and LOVED cruising.

Would never do that again unless it was free LOL

Wonder if there is a big difference in price to MCO (for Cape Canaveral) or to FLL (for Oasis). If it is $100-$200, then that would offset the price A LITTLE of the Oasis.

The Dream looks beautiful and can't wait to sail on her but I also look forward to when I can sail the Oasis. Although the Dream is new, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the Oasis. The Oasis is also a bigger ship than the Dream.

Either one, I believe you will have a blast! That is why I ended up choosing CCL this time for the over $3,500 savings.

Someone else can chime in but I believe the 7A rooms on Dream are the cove balconies? I would probably move up a balcony category. If seas get too rough, the balcony will be closed off. Not to say you would go outside higher up...

For now, I am working on platinum with Carnival before venturing out (unless a great price come along on another line) but I think Oasis would completely overwhelm me. Three of my four cruises have all been on Fantasy class ships which are smaller. I didn't mind Glory though. We'll have to see how Splendor goes next week. :)

Someone else can chime in but I believe the 7A rooms on Dream are the cove balconies? I would probably move up a balcony category. If seas get too rough, the balcony will be closed off. Not to say you would go outside higher up...

For now, I am working on platinum with Carnival before venturing out (unless a great price come along on another line) but I think Oasis would completely overwhelm me. Three of my four cruises have all been on Fantasy class ships which are smaller. I didn't mind Glory though. We'll have to see how Splendor goes next week. :)

I agree with you. I would look at the pricing for a regular balcony. The cove balconies are more enclosed.

We are doing Carnival Dream as we could do 12 day balcony for a little more money than 7 day outside on Royal for a Med Cruise.

We do balconies because we like quiet to read and solitude. But spend a lot of time up on deck if we want sun . You have to be sailing just right for sun. We did an ocean view once and it was fine, basically same as inside, we didn't look out much. I really think on your first cruise you will spend a lot more time out of your cabin exploring than inside

I think if you want the once in a lifetime experience do the Oasis. Don't think anything will be like it for a long time. If you want activities and wow do ship over cabin.

As you stated anything for a first cruise is a WOW. I agree also, the ports won't matter as much, you will be hooked and hit them all repeatedly in the future :) Also agree food wouldn't be a big issue as it is all new to you. We do the free food, have not done specialty food and have been happy. Oasis could be overwhelming.

I am going to confuse you and irritate Carnival People. Check prices on Royal's Freedom class ships . It could be a good compromise. Same size as Dream They do not have the outdoor movie theater . There is a lot of activities , the Promeande is cool. Several different activites and good free food places. The Promenade rooms would be better than an inside also.

Prices change continually ...check, I mean daily, and they will give you lower price up until final payment. I have seen balconies end up cheaper than inside sometimes

You won't be dissappointed whatever you do

1. How are you with crowds? You'll have about 2000+ more "pals" on the Oasis. I don't care how many eating and other venues they say they're going to have, you can imagine that 5000+ people on what is going to be a finite (albeit large) space is going to look like. If you all are folks who like to go somewhere for R&R then I doubt the Oasis will be for you (though I surmise just by the fact that you are considering it that you don't cruise to rest). Not to mention the embarking and debarking of 5000 people. If you do a search for "debarking fiasco" or something similar, you can read what debarking 3000 people looks like (pretty darn ugly!). I cannot fathom what adding 2000 more of my closest friends is going to look like :eek:

I agree... My family has wanted to try RCI for awhile now, especially since the Oasis is coming out and looks amazing, however the crowds would be a deal breaker for me. I get frustrated with 2,000 people on a cruise ship, let alone another 3,000 on top of that. For now, we are going to book the Dream for May 2010, and wait to hear reviews on the Oasis. With such a unique ship, they'll have a chance to work out the "kinks" before we give it a try.

I think I would be interested in the benefits of being a balcony club member.:p

I agree with you. I would look at the pricing for a regular balcony. The cove balconies are more enclosed.

To move up to a regular balcony at deck 6 adds $50 pp on the ES. $70 more pp on the ES if you chose a room closer to the center of the ship. I don't know that we will have a problem with cove balconies. Like it has been said, we won't know what we are missing, and should be thrilled with a balcony period. Plus, a cove balcony might offer more privacy.

I am going to confuse you and irritate Carnival People. Check prices on Royal's Freedom class ships . It could be a good compromise. Same size as Dream They do not have the outdoor movie theater . There is a lot of activities , the Promeande is cool. Several different activites and good free food places. The Promenade rooms would be better than an inside also.

I have looked at FOS but the Dream is less money. I think if I were going to spend $1100 pp we'd rather go w/ the Oasis interior stateroom. Anything less than that on the FOS would be more expensive than the Dream's balcony.

I think I would be interested in the benefits of being a balcony club member.:p

To move up to a regular balcony at deck 6 adds $50 pp on the ES. $70 more pp on the ES if you chose a room closer to the center of the ship. I don't know that we will have a problem with cove balconies. Like it has been said, we won't know what we are missing, and should be thrilled with a balcony period. Plus, a cove balcony might offer more privacy.

I have looked at FOS but the Dream is less money. I think if I were going to spend $1100 pp we'd rather go w/ the Oasis interior stateroom. Anything less than that on the FOS would be more expensive than the Dream's balcony.

Just letting you know I've heard that you will be very close to the ocean and that sea spray can be a factor in those rooms. I'd LOVE to try them but I am not sure they'd be the same experience as a regular balcony. The balcony wouldn't be as useful if every time you walked out, you got wet!!! Realistically, I bet that they are fine unless the seas are rough and it would indeed be a neat experience. I am strictly guessing here, but I bet those cove balconies will be popular, so that might be another reason to jump on it.

p.s. Although I think you should go with the balcony, I've only had one on my 7 cruises. The oceanviews are much better bargains most of the time, especially on the older ships. There's nothing like having one, but it's not essential. A window, however, IS.

Just letting you know I've heard that you will be very close to the ocean and that sea spray can be a factor in those rooms. I'd LOVE to try them but I am not sure they'd be the same experience as a regular balcony. The balcony wouldn't be as useful if every time you walked out, you got wet!!! Realistically, I bet that they are fine unless the seas are rough and it would indeed be a neat experience. I am strictly guessing here, but I bet those cove balconies will be popular, so that might be another reason to jump on it.

p.s. Although I think you should go with the balcony, I've only had one on my 7 cruises. The oceanviews are much better bargains most of the time, especially on the older ships. There's nothing like having one, but it's not essential. A window, however, IS.

I think the cove part of the balcony is supposed to protect you from most, if not all, of the spray. Plus, the majority of the days the ship will be docked at port. The only time the spray will happen is at night and the other two days at sea, times I might not really care to get misted. Plus, since this is our first cruise, I think I am interested in cabins on the lower levels.

I think the cove part of the balcony is supposed to protect you from most, if not all, of the spray. Plus, the majority of the days the ship will be docked at port. The only time the spray will happen is at night and the other two days at sea, times I might not really care to get misted. Plus, since this is our first cruise, I think I am interested in cabins on the lower levels.

Those cove balconies are going to be a hot item since they are new to Carnival. On the QM2 they go for barely over the price of a OV, but on Carnival supply and demand are factors, and they are in high demand. Dont wait too long if you want a cove balcony because they will be gone.

Or do a balcony guantee, that way you will get either a cove or higher balcony? If you dont care if you get a cove balcony, just so its a balcony.

PS the cove balconys, the metal shutters you will be able to close them and latch them if there is a storm Iv read.

Archived