Policy on cancellation/no insurance

Mizwoodym

I cancelled after final payment for a medical reason and Princess said "gee, sorry, too bad you did not by the Princess insurance" and we lost 50%. Even though I did book the same cruise at a later time, Princess did not care. I did by trip insurance so we should be covered for all the loses.
Princess has a VERY clear policy that's defined in the Passage Contract sent to every passenger as to what the policy is if one cancels. It's not about caring or not caring; insurance is offered and if declined, then you accept what it is if you have to cancel. And, if you don't want Princess' insurance, there are many other insurance options out there so the choice was yours. It's not Princess' fault that you chose not to get the insurance.

Sorry, I was agreeing with you and I must not have written it correctly. I cancelled after final payment for a medical reason and Princess said "gee, sorry, too bad you did not by the Princess insurance" and we lost 50%. Even though I did book the same cruise at a later time, Princess did not care. I did by trip insurance so we should be covered for all the loses.

I think businesses care mostly about their bottom line and not yours, so for the sake of business this is what they do. They are in the business to make money and this is one way they do. Guess what, you asked (my motto in life), got an answer and most likely NOT compounded by lectures and judgment. You are ahead of the game of the OP who specifically asked for helpful advise and NO lectures. If the cruise is waitlisted, what's really the big deal....not being able to sell it twice for a bigger profit...JMOP. Shame on you Princess......please put back the torch, I am kidding:D

For one who belives in miracles and had a few, I hope the OP gets a break or have the illness resolve quickly, which could be the biggest miracle of all.

Call Princess. A couple of posters have been accomodated, generally an overbooked cruise.

I think some (many?) posters hope Princess turns you down. At least some posters think it's a rip-off if passengers who don't purchase insurance are given any accomodation.

Cruise insurance provides many benefits, including emergency medical evacuation. Insurnace provides covers cancellation penalties under a number specified circumstances. People who don't purchase travel insurance have no assurances. Some (many?) passengers who purchase travel insurance don't read the fine print. They think their benefits are far more extensive than what is covered.

I have had situations over the years where my company bought a plane ticket for someone who agreed to fly, then changed their mind, leaving us with a nonrefundable plane ticket that could not be reused by anyone else. I always held onto these tickets for awhile, just in case. On occasion an airline had a worker's strike, or a weather incident, that provided for me to be able to cancel or rebook a flight with no penalty -- and I was able to get some of those refunded when they fit the right time/regional areas.

I say this to suggest - is your cruise going to Mexico? Is it a ship that has recently been to Mexico? Could your friend have anything with any similarity to swine flu? Right now everyone is a little jumpy about illness on cruise ships, and that might be the perfect time to push for a refund because "I don't want to be on a ship that was in Mexico recently. . . " or "my friend has a contagious disease . . ." (the last thing cruise lines want on their ships right now!) You just might find some flexibility from them if you can say the right thing right now, while everyone is a little jumpy.

While it seems most people would like Princess to "have a heart" and it's not a big deal as long as the ship is oversold, then why should anyone purchase insurance? To repeat ad nauseum, Princess has a policy and one makes a conscious decision whether to to purchase insurance or not. If you don't purchase the insurance, I don't understand why someone then turns around and says, "Gee, I have this problem and I want the same refund and/or consideration as those who paid insurance." It's not about how serious the problem is or whether Princess has or doesn't have a heart, it's about breaking the Passage Contract and giving away something that others have paid good money for, i.e., insurance.

Before wasting time here, call Princess and ASK. You might get the same answer but without the lecture you DON'T need when dealing with a medical crisis. You will find there are always an exception for somebody somewhere. Years ago my grandma-in-law got really sick so were about to cancel (w/o insurance). I called my TA but was informed the cruise was overbooked and RCCl was offering people a free cruise for canceling. If you really don't want lectures and judgement compounded on your emergency just call and ASK.(

I didn't lecture or judge anyone. Nor did anyone else that I can tell. The OP asked a question and it was answered. Of course, I didn't give the answer she wanted. Would you be as self-righteous if it was your money that had to be returned, and not a cruise line's? If you feel so strongly about this, you can contact the OP and send her a personal check for the cruise fare she might lose.

Why do some people believe that the rules don't apply to them? The playing field has to be level. You cannot have a different set of rules for some people because you feel sorry for them. And, it was an illness, not a crisis.

Princess will not do anything. My wife just fell and dislocated her hip

15 days before the Emerald Transatlantic leaving today. I called to cancel and they gave me nothing. I was within the 14 day 25% time but they said that today did not count. They then sent me a nasty email saying "FINAL LETTER" please go away. We are Captains club Platinum but that made no difference. On top of everything Crucon charged us $50 to cancel the cruise. Princess has turned into a moneygrubbing mean spriited bunch.

15 days before the Emerald Transatlantic leaving today. I called to cancel and they gave me nothing. I was within the 14 day 25% time but they said that today did not count. They then sent me a nasty email saying "FINAL LETTER" please go away. We are Captains club Platinum but that made no difference. On top of everything Crucon charged us $50 to cancel the cruise. Princess has turned into a moneygrubbing mean spriited bunch.

a tiny flame, transatlantics are the only cruises we ALWAYS get insurance for. For many reasons, med evac, usually getting to the ship if you miss the first port is very expensive, the number of days therefore the cost are usually high....... I am very sorry about your wifes injury.

but then again even with insurance unless the insurance company agrees with a written doctor's recommendation that you wife is unable to travel, they even might not pay up.

I do agree about the one day issue causing a difference in the refund being a bit callous. Just because they sent a final letter, doesn't mean it has to be final for you. I think I might still work to get the 25% amount honored maybe as down payment on another cruise. Getting cash back will never work IMHO. And getting a large amount transferred may not happen either but I think I would try in a very calm manner. Good Luck.

A company has the right to give you a final NO. You might consider writing a regular (snail) letter to the president of Princess. I doubt you'll get anywhere but at least you'll know you did everything you could.

JMO but Crucon sounds like the moneygrubbing mean spirited company. Since you're not getting any money back is there any reason to cancel the cruise? As a "no-show" you won't be charged a cancellation fee, why should you be charged a cancellation fee just because you tried to get a partial refund?

You're Captains Club, Platinum and you don't buy cruise insurance. Cruise enough and you're going to wind up having to pay something that would have been covered by insurance. Delayed or lost bags. Medical expenses. Yes, even a cancelled cruise. JMO but I think being Captains Club may have worked against you. You made a decision to self-insure. Maybe you saved enough in premiums from your past cruises to offset a portion of your loses.

I didn't lecture or judge anyone. Nor did anyone else that I can tell. The OP asked a question and it was answered. Of course, I didn't give the answer she wanted. Would you be as self-righteous if it was your money that had to be returned, and not a cruise line's? If you feel so strongly about this, you can contact the OP and send her a personal check for the cruise fare she might lose.

Why do some people believe that the rules don't apply to them? The playing field has to be level. You cannot have a different set of rules for some people because you feel sorry for them. And, it was an illness, not a crisis.

What am I missing other than your need to get on me. Did I mention your post? Depending on the illness I would gladly do that. I have gotten enough breaks in my life to pass it on. Rules are made to be broken, exceptions made, contract renegotiated. It's money, I grew up without it, I will die without it and in the meantime if I have it and someone needs it, I am willing to share. If there is a serious illness involved I wouldn't think twice about helping. I am not even sure how to respond to your last line. I often mentioned to DH cancer and my open heart surgeries (2) as illness. Crisis for me would be NOT having insurance to cover to the illness (many Americans don't), or the support of family and friends.

Speaking of money. The pics of the balcony cabin I posted on this board, I spent my vacation time (hrs) and tipped extra ($$$) to have it for people I knew it would help. My money, my time, to benefit people I don't know. As of today, the album posted in Februrary, has been viewed 24,496 times so hopefully it helped one person. It's only money, glad for what I have but never live in fear of loosing or sharing it!

As a highly regarded customer (any past passenger should fit the bill), I would address a letter to the President and explain why you feel you should either get a future cruise credit or at the least 25% back.

I would simply state that regardless of the fact you did not purchase insurance, it would be a "good business" and "ethical thing to do in these crazy economic times" for Princess to refund or give you a future credit.

I would say that since you have sailed (note # of times) with Princess, that you would like to continue that business relationship and that if they don't value and want your business in these worrying economic times, that another cruise line such as Celebrity will appreciate you switching to them.

I never beg, I only state the facts. I spend a lot of money on Princess and I am sure they can not afford to loose customers at my level.

Good luck and better health to you.

Newfimom

I think many are missing the point here. You have the option of purchasing insurance on your cruise. If you did not take that option, Princess will not (I will repeat) WILL NOT give you credit or a refund on your cancelled cruise.

This happens to many passengers where they must cancel, and Princess does not owe you anything without insurance. Sorry if that sounds mean to some but this is a huge company that is doing quite well, even in this economy, It's business, and nothing else. If they do this for one, they break their own rules and then they would have to do it for all. Financially, that would be the most ridiculous decision they could make.

Unless there are circumstances, such as the ship already overbooked, they don't want to hear your problems. If you didn't take out insurance, then it's your problem, and yours alone.

Threats that you will no longer book with Princess and will move to another cruise line won't do a thing, in fact, it will only make you feel better about it, it will not make Princess think twice and credit you or refund your money.

I am sorry for those that saved for years for a cruise, and can't afford to loose what they invested in their cruise. But passengers really need to re-think their choice (and it is their choice) if they purchase insurance or not. If you can't afford to loose the entire price you paid for cruise (or cruise plus airfare), then you should always buy insurance. If you can't forsee a last minute illness or crisis that comes up and you have to cancel and loose what you paid, or an illness onboard could be devastating to you financially, then book insurance. If you are wealthy enough to loose all I mentioned, then don't book insurance, but remember, if you don't, you will loose it all.

While I agree that insurance is always a good option, some do not.

Where I beg to differ is that when a person is at a certain level with a company, possibly 15 or more cruises they are a preferred customer. Now, I do understand that Princess runs a business, sometimes, decisions have to be made on a personal level.

Do you want to save a customer who comes back time after time, or do you want to only have one shots? It is the return customer that built the Princess name. If they give a future credit they are loosing nothing and gaining everything. They come out the winner. They already got the money for the cruise (which they will end up either selling the cabin at the last minute or up-grading someone to it and making that customer very happy).

So if they extended a future cruise for 25%, they retain the retain their customer and that customer now books another cruise and they make money in the future off that customer. Now that would be smart business! Marketing 101.

Newfimom

Ditto Pam and Toto's comments.

Even the Princess Insurance is reasonably priced and now includes $75% Cancel for Any Reason Coverage (starting this summer). Why should the rest of us pay for Insurance to cover these incidents while a few choose to save the premium, then plead for relief from the "unfeeling" company that even warned them of this eventuality and how to avoid it.

In the situation where there's a debatable days difference between 25% refund and No Refund, I could see some slack from Princess in interpreting the dividing line!

Ken

Where I beg to differ is that when a person is at a certain level with a company, possibly 15 or more cruises they are a preferred customer. Now, I do understand that Princess runs a business, sometimes, decisions have to be made on a personal level.

Do you want to save a customer who comes back time after time, or do you want to only have one shots? It is the return customer that built the Princess name. If they give a future credit they are loosing nothing and gaining everything. They come out the winner. They already got the money for the cruise (which they will end up either selling the cabin at the last minute or up-grading someone to it and making that customer very happy).

So if they extended a future cruise for 25%, they retain the retain their customer and that customer now books another cruise and they make money in the future off that customer. Now that would be smart business! Marketing 101.

Newfimom

Of coarse you have the right to your 'opinion', even though it is not how princess does things and is not a 'fact', and I doubt ever will be.

I have sailed 22 Princess cruises (almost 250 days on Princess ships) and I would not expect them to treat me any different if I cancelled without insurance as they did a first time Princess cruiser.

When I was younger, there were some cruises I did not book insurance. But they were inexpensive cruises and I knew at the time, if I cancelled, I would forfeit what I paid. There was no question that they would not reimburse or credit me without insurance, just as it is now.

Where I beg to differ is that when a person is at a certain level with a company, possibly 15 or more cruises they are a preferred customer. Newfimom

Actually, there is an insurance benefit attached to Platinum and Elite status. If you purchase Princess standard insurance, you will automatically be upgraded to Platinum coverage at no additional charge, which will give you 100% credit on a future cruise. I think that is quite a perk for a "preferred customer." I don’t know how you can beat that especially since you can cancel for any reason. We are Elite, have two cruises booked this year, and are purchasing Princess insurance for both.

Judith

Than you as I too agree everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I do happen to know that Princess has responded on a personal level.

I base this only on my own situation. My grandmother died the night before our cruise several years ago. My mom was coming with us on the cruise sharing a room with my kids. We did not take insurance.

I ended up going on the cruise with the kids and my mother stayed home. I didn't want to stay home but my mother argued that why loose all the money, grandma would not have wanted that. Ok, so I went.

My mother called Princess and told them what happened. They were very understanding and refunded her 50%. They didn't have to because she had no insurance, they wanted to. I appreciated what they did for her and always try to tell the story. I also now take insurance for all trips.

In addition, we had a problem on the CB last June (flood in the room), I was told on board that there would be no future compensation. I wrote a letter to Princess's customer service department and received a hefty credit for our next cruise which is in two weeks.

While I understand your point regarding insurance, don't just say that they will do nothing or should do nothing. I think it all has to do with how you go about dealing with it and whom you speak or correspond with. I am sorry, being a loyal customer has to mean something.

A cruise company can't afford to be overly generous in dealing with uninsured customers without running the risk of reducing the number of passengers who purchase cruise insurance.

Not sure I agree about the loyal customer comment. A customer that consistently fails to purchase trip insurance is a customer that has decided to self-insure and may have saved enough money to offset some of his loses.

No harm in writing a letter but you're really asking for "mercy". Don't make any threats. Be realistic, don't ask for money back but ask for a credit toward a future cruise.

Actually, there is an insurance benefit attached to Platinum and Elite status. If you purchase Princess standard insurance, you will automatically be upgraded to Platinum coverage at no additional charge, which will give you 100% credit on a future cruise. I think that is quite a perk for a "preferred customer." I don’t know how you can beat that especially since you can cancel for any reason. We are Elite, have two cruises booked this year, and are purchasing Princess insurance for both.

Judith

To expand on this answer, I believe this is of little benefit. I have had customers that have had to cancel for health reasons, with their health problems restricting them severely on future travel. For the price of cruiseline's policies, their coverage is minimal. I prefer third party companies that will cover airfare, air delays etc.

Now some people wil think their's is a deal and that is their perogative but when I'm planning 6-12 months in advance, I prefer something that will pay me my costs in cash instead of a future credit.

While I understand your point regarding insurance, don't just say that they will do nothing or should do nothing. I think it all has to do with how you go about dealing with it and whom you speak or correspond with. I am sorry, being a loyal customer has to mean something.

Great point:D

Companies are changing and they may do things in the present and future they might not have done in the past. We'll only find out by ASKING.

As Toto and others have said though the bottom line is: if you are willing to shell out "X" amount of dollars for a cruise and can afford to lose that money if something unforeseen occurs and you can't go, more power to you! I was a TA for many years and never never understood the mentality of spending $3000 for a trip but not be willing to spend an extra 150 to insure it, even if it's just the basic cancellation w/out all the 'heavy duty' add-ons and even if your medical will cover you on vacation (as mine will). You simply can't predict or anticipate.

So if you can't swallow the loss, take the bite out and buy the insurance. We never travel w/out it, never. And do like Princess' "cancel for any reason" for a credit option... sometimes it's not a reason that is covered by cancellation and a credit is better than money floating in the breeze.

If they started giving everyone with a legitimate reason for canceling a credit or a refund, and with the amount of stuff posted about it on these boards (I can tell you, I read this stuff 10 years w/out commenting) they would have 100 people a week asking for a special dispensation... it is unfortunately a roll of the dice if you don't buy insurance..

If you lose in the casino do you want to blame the company? Maybe you have a "gambling budget" like a friend of mine does and it's just part of the cruise but bottom line, your money is gone and you are left w/ nothing but the memory of that extra spade that "might have been" for that flush--same thing? Nope, you can insure a trip, not your casino budget.

::Stepping down of soap box and waiting for the publicly slung instead of emailed flaming arrows:eek:... no, wait, I am flame retarndant":D

And do like Princess' "cancel for any reason" for a credit option... sometimes it's not a reason that is covered by cancellation and a credit is better than money floating in the breeze.

This is exactly why we bought Princess Insurance. We are in the process of trying to sell our house and if we do, may miss our cruise to close escrow and move. We cruise at least twice a year and a credit would suit us fine. So, Blindrid, this insurance is of great benefit to us personally.

Judith

There are a lot of inexpensive cruises. I was going to say $1000 per pax but people are currently able to book cruises for a less. I can understand a customer who doesn't need medical or emergency evacuation insurance deciding to "self insure". The cost of the insurance may be more then 10% of the cost of the cruise and even a total loss of the cruise fare may not be the end of the world.

I don't blame those passengers who think their circumstances are so extraordinary as to warrant an exception and want to contact the cruise line. Many (most) such requests are declined but there is no downside to asking. The cruise ship might be oversold. A cruise line that offers some accomodation has one less cabin that has to be offered a "move over" deal. A passenger that's told NO by the cruise line, and isn't going to get any money back, is likely to tell the cruise line they'll try to make the cruise meaning the cruise line can't rely on that cabin being available as a no show.

Archived