Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

I got back on April 5th, had the flu on April 12! All teh symptoms of this swine flu, especially the respiratory symptoms which I still have! I felt really bad for 4-5 days and just tired now....and oh, so tired of coughing and coughing.

We were in Coz & Progresso....when I posted this earlier this weekend in the disappeared thread, everyone said too early, must be a coincidence, and that the flu was not in that area BUT now others have the flu that were in the resort areas.

I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with the flu, so I know I had the flu, whether it was the swine flu, I cant say, but i do know it is quite the coincidence that I am the only person around that has had the flu and I was just back from Mexico! Plus, I am in the age demographic that this flu is hitting. If I caught this flu and was on the ship with others, I am sure I am not the only one.

Saying all that to say this: This flu is here in the US. IF I were going to cruise in the next week or so, I would hope the ports would be closed. Staying on the ship will not do anything because whomever gets off may bring the flu back on!!

Chances are extremely slim you had swine flu. If you returned on the 5th you would have been ill before the 12th. This flu has a typical incubation period of just a day or two. Not a week, sounds like you had a case of typical flu which can incubate a week or more in some cases. Probably got it on the ship but you didn't have swine flu judging by the facts they've posted about it and the facts you've given.

For any school to be closed in the state of Texas this week is a pretty big deal. It is our big TAKS testing week and many grades have to pass different subjects to promote to the next grade.

I know one of our elementary schools closed in Richardson, a suburb of Dallas, but this morning on CNN they are saying schools near the Mexican border are closing for the rest of the week too. .... so we arent the only school closed. Ours closed because a 7 year old boy has the flu so the schoold can wipe down.

The border towns closing schools this week is pre-emptive. They were actually interviewing the pastor of a church who will not be preaching next sunday, and happened to mention his daughter's school is closed for the rest of the week.... so schools along the border are closing this week.

http://www.gulflive.com/news/mississippipress/news.ssf?/base/news/1240913713142130.xml&coll=5

News report says Carnival Holiday passengers will be "watched by Federal authorities" for signs of swine flu upon return to Mobile.

That surely will be a fun debarkation.

I'm glad though to see some preventive measures are being taken. I'd rather see overreaction too soon than too late.

Morning, folks,

Cruise schedule Web site cruisecal.com says this morning that Carnival's calls at Mexico today (Cozumel and Ensenada) have been canceled. Neither our U.S. nor our U.K. contacts have been able to confirm these changes just yet, but have promised us information asap -- we'll be covering this situation all day in news.

Morning, folks,

Cruise schedule Web site cruisecal.com says this morning that Carnival's calls at Mexico today (Cozumel and Ensenada) have been canceled. Neither our U.S. nor our U.K. contacts have been able to confirm these changes just yet, but have promised us information asap -- we'll be covering this situation all day in news.

Hey Melissa,

Hey its me again... If when you find out if the above is indeed true, that Carnival does cancel their stops in Cozumel, can you also find out what, if anything, they are going to replace it with? In particular, my June 13th Liberty cruise has Cozumel smack in the middle of a day at sea and another day at sea. I really don't want to leave Grand Cayman at 4:30 on Tuesday and then not be on land until we reach Miami on Saturday.

Thnx for keeping us up-to-date...

From the line's Web site: "Holland America Line has decided to cancel the Tuesday, April 28, call aboard ms Ryndam in Mazatlan. We hope to have clarification from the CDC during the day Tuesday, April 27, at which time we will advise regarding the remaining port calls on ships cruising Mexico."

So do they do the standard $20 missed port refund even though the cruise basically turns into a cruise to nowhere? Or do you think they would do future credit or something to make up for it? I feel bad for those that paid for a full cruise and didn't get to do any ports at all (if they closed the only ports scheduled).

Don't get me wrong I totally understand why the cruiseline may have done it and if the port was deemed unsafe I'm glad they did it (if they did it). Just feel bad for the passengers that book for ports, not sea days, and hope they would get some kind of compensation on a future cruise. KWIM?

So do they do the standard $20 missed port refund even though the cruise basically turns into a cruise to nowhere? Or do you think they would do future credit or something to make up for it? I feel bad for those that paid for a full cruise and didn't get to do any ports at all (if they closed the only ports scheduled).

Don't get me wrong I totally understand why the cruiseline may have done it and if the port was deemed unsafe I'm glad they did it (if they did it). Just feel bad for the passengers that book for ports, not sea days, and hope they would get some kind of compensation on a future cruise. KWIM?

While I'm sitting home, and they are on a ship, I don't feel bad for anyone.

So glad we just missed this frantic panic...as we thoroughly enjoyed two stops in Mexico most of all (Cozumel and Costa Maya). I recall at the end of the cruise seeing 2 people with masks for unknown reasons but did catch my attention - one worker on the ship -- could have just had a cold or something -- and one elderly woman who I noted when disembarking. Precautionary, other autoimmune reasons? Don't know. Could easily be the case for either.

I realize the need for caution but wouldn't panic, just wash my hands a LOT more and keep my hands off of as many things as possible. I admit I would have been a little more nervous on the trip had this gone on since we had two slightly sniffly toddlers with us when we boarded, but no fever or other symptoms (believe youngest was teething).

But we are now several days out, feeling just fine, and only having wonderful memories and would return in a minute!

We have just heard from Carnival that Mexico port of calls for today will be cancelled.

Those impacted are:

-- Carnival Inspiration's call in Cozumel

-- Holiday's call in Cozumel

-- Carnival Elation's call in Ensenada.

A spokesperson for the line told us that information on itinerary changes will follow soon.

We'll keep you posted.

Kelly

U.K. Editor

Cruise Critic

We have just heard from Carnival that Mexico port of calls for today will be cancelled.

Those impacted are:

A spokesperson for the line told us that information on itinerary changes will follow soon.

We'll keep you posted.

Kelly

U.K. Editor

Cruise Critic

Kelly in the UK, maybe you could comment on this thread by a UK poster who says his insurance is invalid if the ship visits Cozumel. Thats going to pressure the cruiselines.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=976244

Thanks for sharing the confirmation, Kelly!

Those impacted are:

We'll keep you posted.

Kelly

U.K. Editor

Cruise Critic

Those impacted are:

We'll keep you posted.

Kelly

U.K. Editor

Cruise Critic

Kudos to Carnival Corp!

Orsonclapping.gif

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few!

Kelly in the UK, maybe you could comment on this thread by a UK poster who says his insurance is invalid if the ship visits Cozumel. Thats going to pressure the cruiselines.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=976244

Thanks for the comment. That's an interesting point, I will look into it for you.

Kelly

U.K. Editor

Cruise Critic

For the Caribbean cruises, there's so many non-Mexico ports that they can substitute them with.

It's really the West Coast, Mexican Riviera cruises that I'm extremely curious what they would do. I can't see many options, and a 7-day cruise to nowhere would suck badly, in my honest opinion. I was just this week going to book the Splendor for early June, but now I have to wait and see what happens first.

I think I need to vent. This is a load of crap. The media is in a frenzy over this stuff and it's utter nonsense. The flu literrally kills thousands of people every year (almost always the very young or very old), but no one says anything. Now, a handful of people die in the most densly populated city in the world and you'd think it's the end of humanity. My guess is the people who died had poor health to begin with, and like the hundreds that die in the US every year from the regular flu they just had weakend immune systems and could not combat the infection. Whether it comes from monkeys, pigs or dolphins, this is just the flu. If you're young or old, you should be just as concearned about the regular flu as you are about the swine flu. If you're in reasonably good health and have survived previous flu seasons (which don't usually end until May anyways) then who cares, you'll be sick and misearable for a few days and then you're all better and have immunity for life against yet another pesky flu virus. I leave in less then a week for my cruise and if they cancle Cozumel I'll be pissed. If you want to worry about something worry about N. Korea nuking Alaska or HI. Worry about the fact that we're over due for a global killing asteriod and can only scan about 4% of the night sky. Worry about global warming, the troops overseas, losing your job, or being killed in a car accident. All these things are a bigger deal then being sick for a couple days and in all honesty probably more likely to happen to you or someone you know. The CDC should be applauded for taking aggressive action to ensure it doesn't become an issue, but the media should shot for making the god dang flu such a big deal!

I think I need to vent. This is a load of crap. The media is in a frenzy over this stuff and it's utter nonsense. The flu literrally kills thousands of people every year (almost always the very young or very old), but no one says anything. Now, a handful of people die in the most densly populated city in the world and you'd think it's the end of humanity. My guess is the people who died had poor health to begin with, and like the hundreds that die in the US every year from the regular flu they just had weakend immune systems and could not combat the infection. Whether it comes from monkeys, pigs or dolphins, this is just the flu. If you're young or old, you should be just as concearned about the regular flu as you are about the swine flu. If you're in reasonably good health and have survived previous flu seasons (which don't usually end until May anyways) then who cares, you'll be sick and misearable for a few days and then you're all better and have immunity for life against yet another pesky flu virus. I leave in less then a week for my cruise and if they cancle Cozumel I'll be pissed. If you want to worry about something worry about N. Korea nuking Alaska or HI. Worry about the fact that we're over due for a global killing asteriod and can only scan about 4% of the night sky. Worry about global warming, the troops overseas, losing your job, or being killed in a car accident. All these things are a bigger deal then being sick for a couple days and in all honesty probably more likely to happen to you or someone you know. The CDC should be applauded for taking aggressive action to ensure it doesn't become an issue, but the media should shot for making the god dang flu such a big deal!

I totally agree. I will be mad if we miss Cozumel, and I am willing to risk catching the flu.

i think i need to vent. This is a load of crap. The media is in a frenzy over this stuff and it's utter nonsense. The flu literrally kills thousands of people every year (almost always the very young or very old), but no one says anything. Now, a handful of people die in the most densly populated city in the world and you'd think it's the end of humanity. My guess is the people who died had poor health to begin with, and like the hundreds that die in the us every year from the regular flu they just had weakend immune systems and could not combat the infection. Whether it comes from monkeys, pigs or dolphins, this is just the flu. If you're young or old, you should be just as concearned about the regular flu as you are about the swine flu. If you're in reasonably good health and have survived previous flu seasons (which don't usually end until may anyways) then who cares, you'll be sick and misearable for a few days and then you're all better and have immunity for life against yet another pesky flu virus. I leave in less then a week for my cruise and if they cancle cozumel i'll be pissed. If you want to worry about something worry about n. Korea nuking alaska or hi. Worry about the fact that we're over due for a global killing asteriod and can only scan about 4% of the night sky. Worry about global warming, the troops overseas, losing your job, or being killed in a car accident. All these things are a bigger deal then being sick for a couple days and in all honesty probably more likely to happen to you or someone you know. The cdc should be applauded for taking aggressive action to ensure it doesn't become an issue, but the media should shot for making the god dang flu such a big deal!

i agree!

Oh and here's some more numbers, just to put this into perspective. This comes off the CDC website. There were over 39000 confirmed flu cases last year, hundredes of those infected died! For 2 months we were above the "epidemci threshold"- where was the media on that one?

During the 2007--08 influenza season, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) exceeded the epidemic threshold†† for 8 consecutive weeks in the 122 Cities Mortality Reporting System during the weeks ending January 12--May 17, 2008 (weeks 9--16). The percentage of P&I deaths peaked at 9.1% during the week ending March 15, 2008 (week 11). During the previous three influenza seasons, the peak percentage of P&I deaths has ranged from 7.7% to 8.9% and the total number of weeks the P&I ratio exceeded the epidemic threshold has ranged from one to 11. The P&I baseline and epidemic threshold values are projected for each season at the onset of that season and are based on data from the previous five years. The robust regression model used to calculate the 122 Cities Mortality Reporting System baseline and epidemic threshold values was recently modified. This new methodology better takes into account shifts in the long term trends of the 122 Cities data, and will be used in the upcoming 2008-09 influenza season to project the baseline and epidemic threshold values.

You might be mad, but it's not your call to make. They have to take into account everyone on the cruise, not just one person. I'm guessing they aren't willing to risk that many peoples health for a port stop, it's their decision to make, not ours.

What I don't understand is how is changing ports going to help? Who's to say if you change to another port that the flu won't show up there right after you leave and you'd still be at risk. There are new cases popping up in new areas daily. So one port might be deemed safe today, but unsafe tomorrow.

Archived