Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

Our cruise leaves for Mexican Caribbean in Oct. How could the swine flu effect any of those cruises and how will Carnival deal with that if it is still a problem? Do you think it could be over by then?:D

According to the fears of some here everyone in Mexico will be dead by then so you wan't have to deal with large crowds at the beach. Have a great cruise.:rolleyes:

Hi folks,

As promised, Community Manager LauraS popped by the main desk to ask what Carnival was doing in light of concerns about swine flu.

She tells us, "I stopped by Guest Services, posed my question and was met with a blank stare. After explaining, she still didn't know what I was referring to but I received the standard answer 'Any announcements made will be made over the main announcement system.'"

I just peeked at the NCL and RCI boards. NCL has no threads on this flu (at least not on page 1) and RCI had one thread that was moved to the Mexico Boards.

It seems only CCL cruisers are freaking over this.

Ooops, update: NCL now has a thread.....

I don't think any NCL cruises currently stop in Mexico.

I just peeked at the NCL and RCI boards. NCL has no threads on this flu (at least not on page 1) and RCI had one thread that was moved to the Mexico Boards.

It seems only CCL cruisers are freaking over this.

Actually RCCL boards had several, but they merged them altogether then moved them. Every time one pops up they merge it with the others:rolleyes:

For those of you who simply say, "just take care of yourself and you'll be fine," let me add this. Someone picks up the virus and sneezes near an end table by the pool, leaving the virus on the table. You take all the precautions, washing hands, using a paper towel to open the door so you don't touch the handle, use your purex when you sit down next to that table, pick up your book and enjoy your afternon in the sun. Then you get suntan lotion dripping in your eye. It hurts, so you put your book on the table, dragging the back of your hand on it and then wipe your eye. Now you have the virus. It is that simple. Just taking care of yourself doesn't safe guard your every move. I am not an alarmist, just a realist. Anyone, even vigilant people can pick up the flu virus and to be concerned isn't the same as telling everyone the sky is falling. I'm due to leave in 11 days and Mexico is on my itinerary. Will I cancel? Of course not, but I won't be unconcerned about my health either.

NCL's Mex Riviera season is over until late Sept. Don't know if they are doing any W Caribbean itineraries at the moment either.

NCL's Mex Riviera season is over until late Sept. Don't know if they are doing any W Caribbean itineraries at the moment either.

NCL says they have no stops scheduled in Mexico on any itinerary until September.

For those of you who simply say, "just take care of yourself and you'll be fine," let me add this. Someone picks up the virus and sneezes near an end table by the pool, leaving the virus on the table. You take all the precautions, washing hands, using a paper towel to open the door so you don't touch the handle, use your purex when you sit down next to that table, pick up your book and enjoy your afternon in the sun. Then you get suntan lotion dripping in your eye. It hurts, so you put your book on the table, dragging the back of your hand on it and then wipe your eye. Now you have the virus. It is that simple. Just taking care of yourself doesn't safe guard your every move. I am not an alarmist, just a realist. Anyone, even vigilant people can pick up the flu virus and to be concerned isn't the same as telling everyone the sky is falling. I'm due to leave in 11 days and Mexico is on my itinerary. Will I cancel? Of course not, but I won't be unconcerned about my health either.

I would be more concerned about getting skin cancer from the sun.

I posted it a page or two back, as I figured it would be good to include on the front page for folks to track. But I guess it isn't really "cruise" related so perhaps that is why they have chosen to not link to it.

Who knows. ;)

I posted it a page or two back, as I figured it would be good to include on the front page for folks to track. But I guess it isn't really "cruise" related so perhaps that is why they have chosen to not link to it.

Who knows. ;)

Sorry for the copy post then.... I couldn't read every post leading up to this...

Great minds think alike?

I wonder what they mean by enhancing screening practices at embarkation?

I guess if you sneeze or cough when reboarding in Coz they will leave without you! Take your passports!

Not nice to be making a joke I know but I bet there will be fewer pax debarking in Coz this week....afraid they might not get back on!

I guess if you sneeze or cough when reboarding in Coz they will leave without you! Take your passports!

Not nice to be making a joke I know but I bet there will be fewer pax debarking in Coz this week....afraid they might not get back on!

It doesn't work like that, the incubation period is more than a few hours. Carnival will screen more carefully at the port of embarkation.

Sure, but it is almost exactly like the Norwalk Virus we have all known about for years...

Although in your example if it was on the outside table, under the sun, there is no evidence that it would survive for very long... seconds really.

Just rinsing your hands in the pool (especially if there is chlorine present, like the Ships Hot tub) will be a big help.

I really think we are going to find out that it is spread more by bad Food prep practices than anything else.

There is a really good reason why it is all mild cases outside of Mexico.

I guess the good news is now my Mom has something new to freak out about. She's been convinced DH and I were going to get hijacked by pirates for a few weeks. Now she's forgotten about the pirates :p

LOL --thanks ....:D

Dr. Richard Besser, acting head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, confirmed at a press conference this afternoon that the federal government is preparing a travel advisory instructing Americans to avoid nonessential travel to Mexico, according to the Associated Press: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3192

The impact that will have on cruises remains to be seen. Stay tuned.

And keep checking back here for more information from Laura and the gang onboard Carnival Splendor.

Archived