Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

Oh please ! Can you provide a link to any news report that has him saying this? I did see that the EU had issued an advisory similar to this, but I don't believe the US has.

Here you go. No non essential travel to mexico

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department plans to issue a travel warning later on Monday urging Americans to avoid all "nonessential" travel to Mexico because of an outbreak of swine flu, a U.S. official said.

Swine flu has killed 103 people in Mexico and has spread to the United States. Spain has reported one case of the virus, the first to be confirmed in Europe.

"There will be a travel warning urging Americans to avoid all nonessential travel to Mexico because of the swine flu," said a U.S. official, who spoke on condition he not be named as the warning has not yet been announced.

The state department is about to put out a travel advisory that recommend no "non-essential" travel to Mexico.

So that means people on-board the Splendor etc.... That were on the ship prior to this announcement and unable to make a decision in light of this change whether to continue on with their cruise or not. If Carnival goes ahead and stops at these ports and people become infected (even die) by going against the state dept receommendations then it's lawsuit city.

Also please do not post well people can still choose not to get off. That is not viable because if some get off they have the potential to bring back onto the ship.

Bad move by the State Department if you ask me

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department plans to issue a travel warning later on Monday urging Americans to avoid all "nonessential" travel to Mexico because of an outbreak of swine flu, a U.S. official said.

Swine flu has killed 103 people in Mexico and has spread to the United States. Spain has reported one case of the virus, the first to be confirmed in Europe.

"There will be a travel warning urging Americans to avoid all nonessential travel to Mexico because of the swine flu," said a U.S. official, who spoke on condition he not be named as the warning has not yet been announced.

Why not comment on the official thread cruise critic has stickied? This has already been posted there. No need to have tons of thread saying the exact same thing. Better to keep the info in one place for easy reference.

no it hasn't

No, I think this issues and all related issues are already being discussed in at least two other threads and creating yet another thread (and this is the second you've started on the Swine Flu) is pretty unnecessary and putting the discussion in several places instead of keeping it centralized.

Don't forget the plastic sheeting and duct tape ... ;)

Our Poland Spring delivery guy used to tell me the stories of people who wanted him to deliver like 100 cases of water in gallon bottles to their houses right after 9/11.

Last I heard, Carnival doesn't sail to Mexico City, where the vast majority of the cases have been identified and reported. Let's face it...the average cruise passenger visiting a Mexican port isn't likely to encounter all that many locals, let alone all that many who regularly travel between the hinterlands and Mexico City. As I posted in a separate thread, I'd still be more concerned about picking up the Norovirus than the flu onboard our upcoming cruise. And the same sensible precautions are just as valid for swine flu as for Norovirus - - frequent hand washing!

I just heard that they DON'T know why its killing people in Mexico and not here. They are trying to figure it out. This was on the today show 1/2 hour ago. We are sailing to Ensenada on May 7th, I just hope that Carnival decides not to dock there. I wouldnt mind an extra day at sea. I lknow I am bringing my antibacterial wipes, lysol and hand sanitizer! They said the best way for you to protect yourself is to do this and wash your hands all the time.

Maybe we live a healthier lifestyle....i.e. food...shelter etc. Most of us anyway do and I am not pandering to the immigration issue....I am saying that we live better...for the most part.......we are fortunate to live better than in many other parts of the world.....

Amen Alan. I'm not a germophobe, but if I go to the restroom, I wash my hands. If I suspect or hear about a bug going around, I wash my hands. A little bit of common sense goes a long way.

I never touch anything in a public restroom with bare hands...always use a paper towel when touching door knobs or water faucets....and like a great majority of folks.....flush the toilet with my foot! With shoes on of course.

CCL told me last night they have environmentalists onboard. Is that like when in Alaska they have people who can spot wildlife?? ;)

Is that supposed to be a comfort? Just cancel the port call to Cozumel and take me to St. Maartin instead!!!!!:p

Sounds nice but have you looked at a map lately? Cancel Coz and add St. Martin? Add an eastern Carib. port in place of a western carib port...I don't think so. Maybe add a port in Panama...San Blas Islands, anyone?

I know you were just joking but so many people here might actually think it was doable...hay why not add Barbados and Trinidad as well! LOL:D

The average, healthy traveler should be slightly concerned and make sure to wash their hands with soap and hot water. Those with weakened immune systems should consult with their doctor and consider traveling with an OTC anti-viral.

Remember folks, the more you use anti-virals, the more the viruses become resistant. Use them sparingly and only if, you know, you really *are* in the throws coming down with the virus.

Yes! I am going to Ensenada for a 3 day on May 7th. I am going to bring antibacterial wipes and hand sanitizer. I figure if I use those throughout the day and wash my hands a lot, I will be safer than not. Also, my hubby and I decided if we do want to go into the port, we will not eat or drink, just do some shopping and whatever and go back on the ship. We are going for our 10 year anniversary! I really dont care if we ever leave the ship!

From the CDC website:

"Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective."

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

Of course, this assumes you know how to cough or sneeze.

"Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. "

And one of the biggies:

"Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way. "

Many people don't seem to realize that they infect themselves.

Archived