Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

OMG want to talk about panick, There is a photo shoot over Jersey of a fighter jet following a replica of Air Force One.. People are in a craze!

Why dont they 'warn' people instead of creating a "War of the Worlds" type reaction??

Because you "warn" people and then the media outlets pick up and turn it into another OMG-You-Will-Die-Wrap-Yourself-In-Plastic-Don't-Touch-Anything situation in the blink of an eye. And don't get me started on the germaphobes ...

Because you "warn" people and then the media outlets pick up and turn it into another OMG-You-Will-Die-Wrap-Yourself-In-Plastic-Don't-Touch-Anything situation in the blink of an eye. And don't get me started on the germaphobes ...

Hey they gotta get the ratings somehow! :D

We've had our school closed twice that I can remember in the last 5 years or so due to flu/virus outbreaks. Once it gets to the point there are below a certain % in the classroom or a high # of staff ill they close, let everyone get healthy while they disinfect and reopen in 2 weeks usually.

I guess that's why I dont' see the school closings as a big deal. It's nothing new or shocking to close a school due to a virus.

Cruise Critic and Melissa, thank you for keeping us up to date on this. Although there are lots of questions about how serious this will be in the end, I for one would like to know as much as I can from the news, online, etc. I wouldn't want to get this flu....be it mild or deadly, etc. Again, thank you.

We've had our school closed twice that I can remember in the last 5 years or so due to flu/virus outbreaks. Once it gets to the point there are below a certain % in the classroom or a high # of staff ill they close, let everyone get healthy while they disinfect and reopen in 2 weeks usually.

I guess that's why I dont' see the school closings as a big deal. It's nothing new or shocking to close a school due to a virus.

2 weeks? Man, the longest we ever closed was 3 days to disinfect the classrooms. That's gotta eat into a kid's vacation ...

President Obama just announced that no American should travel to Mexico unless it is essential. Those are his words not mine. I think with his making a statement like that you will begin to see changes in where the cruise ships will be stopping if at all in Mexico. We are suppose to go there on Freedom in June and it is one of my favorite ports, but if Carnival changes the stop to somewhere else I don't care as long as I'm on the ship.

June!!!! Seriously! That is 2 months away. dont worry!

• Administrators
7 exciting days at sea. I really feel for the CC group on the Splendor right now if that happens. I mean still better then a week at work but still no days at port would stink.

On board with the "group" right now, I can tell you that as of dinner last night, there really wasn't much concern about "swine flu" and how it may affect our cruise. Oh, we were joking a bit here and there -- especially when the waiter announced RIBS were on the menu -- but I suspect everyone was too excited to be starting their vacation to give it much thought.

In talking with Melissa (our Managing Editor and creator of this thread) late yesterday she did mention a few confirmed cases out of Cabo. Now, that makes things a bit different, for me at least. I'm perfectly content in staying on board to be honest, as are the rest of the hosts and SO's in our immediate party. During the day I'll see what others in the group have to say as well.

So far, not a peep out of Carnival in any announcements on board.

Laura

On board with the "group" right now, I can tell you that as of dinner last night, there really wasn't much concern about "swine flu" and how it may affect our cruise. Oh, we were joking a bit here and there -- especially when the waiter announced RIBS were on the menu -- but I suspect everyone was too excited to be starting their vacation to give it much thought.

In talking with Melissa (our Managing Editor and creator of this thread) late yesterday she did mention a few confirmed cases out of Cabo. Now, that makes things a bit different, for me at least. I'm perfectly content in staying on board to be honest, as are the rest of the hosts and SO's in our immediate party. During the day I'll see what others in the group have to say as well.

So far, not a peep out of Carnival in any announcements on board.

Laura

Thanks and please keep us updated.......I am suppose to do this itinerary next week:o

I would enjoy my vacation if we missed both ports. Not sure I would have paid as much for just a cruise to no where though. The $20 port refund should be upped if they make it into just a sea day cruise IMO Although we know that's unlikely LOL

President Obama just announced that no American should travel to Mexico unless it is essential. Those are his words not mine. I think with his making a statement like that you will begin to see changes in where the cruise ships will be stopping if at all in Mexico. We are suppose to go there on Freedom in June and it is one of my favorite ports, but if Carnival changes the stop to somewhere else I don't care as long as I'm on the ship.

Oh please ! Can you provide a link to any news report that has him saying this? I did see that the EU had issued an advisory similar to this, but I don't believe the US has.

Please, please, please realize that all of the cases in the US, and as far as I know, the rest of the world except for Mexico, have been MILD. Only 1 in the US was hospitalized, none have died, ALL expected to recover, ALMOST ALL already have. From the exact same virus soup.

A virus does not know what zipcode you live in.

There is obviously some immunity present in the occupants of the US, Canada, and other countries. There are a number of reasons why this is.

I just heard that they DON'T know why its killing people in Mexico and not here. They are trying to figure it out. This was on the today show 1/2 hour ago. We are sailing to Ensenada on May 7th, I just hope that Carnival decides not to dock there. I wouldnt mind an extra day at sea. I lknow I am bringing my antibacterial wipes, lysol and hand sanitizer! They said the best way for you to protect yourself is to do this and wash your hands all the time.

This is the latest statement I see from the Pres.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu

By LAURAN NEERGAARD, AP Medical Writer Lauran Neergaard, Ap Medical Writer – 4 mins ago

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama said Monday the threat of spreading swine flu infections is matter of concern but "not a cause for alarm." The United States and other countries across the globe increased their vigilance as the World Health Organization said there are now 40 confirmed cases in the U.S.

I don't see where he is saying not to travel to MX unless there is another statement out there after this one.

Wash your hands with soap. The alcohol in the sanitizer is just creating more resistant bacteria and viruses.

There is a lot of stuff they don't know about the Swine Flu yet. People need to just chill. Wait for the scienctificians to do their thing.

My question would be, do you think the cruise lines carry enough Tamiflu or Relenza for everyone?

Probably not. I think if people are concerned enough to think and anitviral is the way to go they should contact their family physician and see if he/she won't write a prescription for them to take away with just in case. I know the Federal Government hasn't activated their pandemic protocal yet, so many doctors will likely be resistant to write for it. I can see Carnival carrying enough for a small population, probably with documented immuno-illnesses but I doubt they have enough for a whole ship.

Hi everyone,

We've just posted a new story in this issue here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3192

According to Reuters, the U.S. State Department plans to issue a travel warning later today urging Americans to avoid all "non-essential" travel to Mexico. Again, at this point, there are no itinerary change announcements from cruise lines that plan to visit Mexican ports in the near future. However, we anticipate that will change after the travel warning is officially issued.

LauraS says that the passengers onboard Carnival Splendor are still not displaying much conern and may not be aware of how much the situation has changed (or, how much the media coverage has changed) since leaving home for vacation. Many of the members and hosts traveling with her, though, have said that it would be no great hardship to stay onboard -- it remains to be seen how many people do decide to go that route.

Why in the world would they?

CCL told me last night they have environmentalists onboard. Is that like when in Alaska they have people who can spot wildlife?? ;)

Is that supposed to be a comfort? Just cancel the port call to Cozumel and take me to St. Maartin instead!!!!!:p

Archived