Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

This might be good to put on the front page. it is a consistently updated map of current swine flu cases.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=15.738151,25.488281&source=embed

H1N1 Swine flu in 2009

Pink markers are suspect

Purple markers are confirmed

Deaths lack a dot in marker

Yellow markers are negative

As it stands there are 40 non severe cases in the US.

I don't really understand why people are getting so freaked out about this. If you take care of yourself and follow some simple steps, which have already been stated, you will be fine.

Until the cruise lines say something, I am not going to worry about it.

Although I agree with much of what you say, especially in terms of not freaking out, I do not think I would rely on the cruise lines for your world health information. They have a bit of a conflict here. I am sure that THEY are freaking out, whether you are or not. And you do make it sound quite simple- just follow simple steps and you have nothing to worry about. Unfortunately that is not very accurate. I am NOT trying to incite panic or worry in any way, but just taking care of yourself may not be enough if this thing really does spread.

Our cruise leaves for Mexican Caribbean in Oct. How could the swine flu effect any of those cruises and how will Carnival deal with that if it is still a problem? Do you think it could be over by then?:D

See the sticky thread at the top of the page for all updates.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975162

Then wouldn't those living and eating in Mx be immune? Maybe eating US pigs is what's boosting our immunity to fight off the MX pig flu :p

That actually might be possible. In the US, pigs can be vaccinated against the disease. In Mexico, they aren't.

Lesson learned: Eat more US pork!

DO we remember SARS well it hit Canada pretty bad ..and now it is gone .. Just like this SWINE FLU will be long gone ...so I am sure you will all have a HAPPY AND HEALTHY CRUISE ....keep looking up my fellow friends !!!;)

Don't laugh at my carp :eek: That's a left over from posting on boards that are uber picky about your language. Same reason I say things like you are getting pizzy or being a beotch :D

Sadly I admit to using those terms IRL now too LOL

We sail the Splendor in November and I've been wondering the same thing - wondering if I should try to switch ships or if that's even possible?

My gut feeling is that this will be a thing of the past by then...but at the same time...why risk it?

I am taking the "wait and see" approach for now. This was not a panic question, but curious how Carnival might react. I too, think it will probably be gone by then. CC reasurres us it's really a flu and by taking precautions and being aware probably won't develope any more than the other media scares we have read before. I think control is the issue right now.

hahahaa just called Carnival about something (totally unrelated to Swine flu) and there is a new prompt first "If you are concerned about Swine Flu press 1 if you have another inquiry press 2" at which point it starts off with the normal prompts.... lol Looks like Carnival is getting bombarded by calls about this.

I had West Nile in 2003---it was neither carp nor crap!!

I was hospitalized for days and was having "please organize this and that" kind of conversations with my husband. I thought I might die, I was so sick.

I take all of these outbreaks very seriously. I can't get manic, but I also will not dismiss them with a "just take care of yourself" kind of mantra.

Yes, agree with you, fourkittys (by the way, we have 2 :D), I think my husband and I will take the same approach. I've done the Caribbean a few times now so I was looking forward to not having to fly to get to the ship and also to seeing some new ports so hopefully all will be well!

I do wonder, however, if cruise lines will forgive change fees during this scare. I know some of the airlines are doing it - if only for a limited time.

I received this just a moment ago from the folks at Carnival:

STATEMENT REGARDING SWINE FLU

Miami - (April 27, 2009) The swine flu is a respiratory disease caused by type A influenza viruses. It is observed regularly in pigs and is uncommon in humans, although human infection can occur in rare instances.

Fortunately, there currently is no evidence of a swine flu pandemic and there have been no reports of guests exhibiting symptoms of swine flu on Carnival’s ships.

Carnival enforces the highest of standards for cleaning and sanitation on all of our ships to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. We are monitoring the situation in Mexico and maintain regular contact with the Centers for Disease Control. We do not anticipate that our guests' cruise experience will be impacted by this type of illness and will not be making any adjustments to our itineraries.

For further information on swine flu, visit the CDC’s web site at www.cdc.gov <http://www.cdc.gov/>.

I had West Nile in 2003---it was neither carp nor crap!!

I was hospitalized for days and was having "please organize this and that" kind of conversations with my husband. I thought I might die, I was so sick.

I take all of these outbreaks very seriously. I can't get manic, but I also will not dismiss them with a "just take care of yourself" kind of mantra.

I am very sorry this happened to you...

While I understand it is difficult for you to laugh at this, please understand that most of us probably never known anyone to be affected by most of these doomsday ailments...

again, I am sorry

I just peeked at the NCL and RCI boards. NCL has no threads on this flu (at least not on page 1) and RCI had one thread that was moved to the Mexico Boards.

It seems only CCL cruisers are freaking over this.

Ooops, update: NCL now has a thread.....

Line up for those lechon asade street vendors!!! Yummy stuff:D

FYI, once pork reaches 160 degrees it kills all the parasites. Just don't kiss the cook!!;)

and carry your meat thermometer :)

Today we have 2 cases confirmed in Scotland, UK. The government are urging people who have travel arrangements to USA and Mexico to change their destinations!

I have just returned from the Splendor on 19th and flew home to UK last Tuesday....no symptoms here Im happy to say.

I hope this is sorted out quickly for all you people accross the water and anywhere that is affected by it. Good luck!

Hi folks,

We're working on our next update of this situation, and I thought I'd pass along the latest information we've received from the cruise lines, this time from Princess:

"Six Princess ships are currently scheduled for calls in Mexican ports through next month, and as of now we have not made the decision to modify our itineraries, as no travel warnings to Mexico have been issued by the CDC. However, some of the actions we are taking onboard all of our ships include:

· We are enhancing our screening practices for passengers and crew embarking our ships.

· We are adhering to CDC guidelines for reporting and treatment of persons with suspect swine flu.

· We will isolate and treat passengers and crew with suspect swine flu. Anti-viral medications that effectively treat the swine flu are currently available onboard all Princess ships.

· We will continue our rigorous cleaning and sanitization of our ships to minimize the spread of any contagious disease. Our ships are routinely cleaned with a disinfectant proven to be highly effective against the flu.

· We will be providing information to our passengers and crew about how to minimize any risk of contracting illness as they visit Mexican ports.

· We are communicating to our passengers and crew that they should take extra care to practice healthy habits such as washing their hands often.

· We are asking passengers and crew to report to the medical center immediately if they exhibit any symptoms of flu."

Archived