Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

Ok, sorry in advance if this is already posted. Earlier I read someone say that Fox news has reported that there has been a BAN on unnecessary travel to Mexico. So I just went to the Fox news site and did not see this. Although, if you read it, it does say that is a possibility. So There is a chance that our ports would be cancelled. Do you think this means our cruise will be cancelled or would they just not pull into port? They keep saying they are taking this very seriuosly BUT not to be alarmed! Haha. They are definitely alarming people.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/27/begins-passive-screening-swine-flu-borders/

Ok, sorry in advance if this is already posted. Earlier I read someone say that Fox news has reported that there has been a BAN on unnecessary travel to Mexico. So I just went to the Fox news site and did not see this.

To be clear, the word banned was on the broadcast, but they eventually removed that word.

You know.. don't visit Long Island (including Queens) you know how we are...

Seriously.. I am leaving next Friday !!!!!!!!!! I was not worried til I came on CC...

It's flu....If I had a Mexican cruise booked, I'd go and just take precautions. To be honest I take precautions prior to travel regularly now because it seems every time I fly I get sick with 'something'.

Take some vitamin C..some probiotics...don't stress and while in Mexico, just don't swap spit with anybody that looks sick :) :p

To be clear, the word banned was on the broadcast, but they eventually removed that word.

Oh goodness, thank you!! I just really want to know what Carnival would do for those of us who are cruising in the next 2 weeks or so. Do you think they would cancel the cruise altogether or just have two days at sea instead of stopping in the port? It doesnt matter to me.

Since I am geograpically challenged, I have to ask, what about Costa Maya?

We are leaving this Saturday and are to scheduled for both Cozumel and Costa Maya. Everyone seems to be focusing more on Cozumel.

I am also leaving on Saturday on Glory. I just spoke to my TA and Costa Maya (according to him) would be one of the ports that they would change.

From the CDC website:

"Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective."

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

Of course, this assumes you know how to cough or sneeze.

"Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. "

And one of the biggies:

"Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way. "

Many people don't seem to realize that they infect themselves.

Ya' know... those precautions look oddly like the precautions that the CDC recommends to avoid contracting Noro...

Common sense goes a long way in prevention of the spread of any airborne infection...

;)

If they indeed post a travel warning, will they allow me to board the elation on Sunday? Will they jusy not let us get off in ensenada. Someone told me they can't tell you not to get off, they just won't let you back on board? Any thoughts on this?

Thxs................:mad:

I don't think that is current. This morning Obama said there were 40 confirmed cases in the US.

No, the 40 came from WHO. And their credibility is absolutely zero after the SARS debacle.

I am watching the CDC news conference on CNN now. Here are the numbers they give:

40 confirmed cases in 5 states.

There were 20 additional in NY all from the same school. It isn't spreading there. They do expect to see more cases as they test more people from the school and they do expect to see other cases in other states.

They also confirmed that they will release of the travel advisory for Mexico. They are recommending non essential travel for Mexico be avoided.

No, the 40 came from WHO. And their credibility is absolutely zero after the SARS debacle.

No it was qouted as part of Obamas conference. Not from the WHO or that is what the article was stating this morning. Can't seem to find it now. I linked it one post somewhere LOL.

No it was qouted as part of Obamas conference. Not from the WHO.
Nice try, but wrong.

From Barry O's pressy:

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama declared Monday that spreading swine flu infections were a concern but "not a cause for alarm," while customs agents began checking people coming into the United States by land and air. The World Health Organization said there were 40 confirmed cases in the U.S. but no deaths.

Subsequently, the CDC announced that there are only 26 confirmed cases in Mexico. Now if left a choice between believing numbers from WHO (an agency of the UN) and the CDC, my money is on the CDC.

WHO is responsible for the mass hysteria regarding SARS, bird flu, West Nile, killer bees and mad cow disease. Take anything they say with a grain of salt, or maybe the whole shaker.

It's flu....If I had a Mexican cruise booked, I'd go and just take precautions. To be honest I take precautions prior to travel regularly now because it seems every time I fly I get sick with 'something'.

Take some vitamin C..some probiotics...don't stress and while in Mexico, just don't swap spit with anybody that looks sick :) :p

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived