Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

Folks: there is a STUCK thread where all the swine flu info is being posted in an effort to stop there being a half-dozen new threads here daily.

I think if we all start hitting the red triangle and requesting that the mods start combining these threads, maybe folks will quit starting new threads.

Left a voice mail for my PVP this morning to see if he has any info for Carnival's plans/. advice for this. We'll be on the Splendor in just over a month and am now debating whether it's worth going on shore. Then again, if someone brings it on the ship, it'll spread like wildfire... not to stoke any fears, but it's the truth. Lots of people in a confined space is how an outbreak becomes a pandemic.

Should the average healthy traveler be concerned with this? Or only those with weakened immune systems..

I am completely serious....

Thanks

T

I think the US cases have proven that we have some partial immunity or just a better immune system then those dying in MX. US cases are mild with only one hospitilization, in MX people are dying from the same strain.

Being someone who has health problems, I am not worried yet. To me I don't see a serious risk, that may change later as more cases develop but I feel safe with cruise travel. I'm no more worried about this then I would be about getting Noro on board.

5Waldos, do you know what agency? I just checked CDC and their current update (current as of this writing, last update yesterday with antiviral use added)does not recommend against travel. Nor does WHO. Is this perhaps coming from the State Dept. page?

You know.. don't visit Long Island (including Queens) you know how we are...

Seriously.. I am leaving next Friday !!!!!!!!!! I was not worried til I came on CC...

You'll be fine. Don't let the Hysterical Helens get to you. Just wash your hands, keep clean, and take your vitamins.

Seriously, does anyone else remember the utter hysteria over Bird Flu? It was supposed to kill us all. It didn't. :D

Left a voice mail for my PVP this morning to see if he has any info for Carnival's plans/. advice for this. We'll be on the Splendor in just over a month and am now debating whether it's worth going on shore. Then again, if someone brings it on the ship, it'll spread like wildfire... not to stoke any fears, but it's the truth. Lots of people in a confined space is how an outbreak becomes a pandemic.

That's exactly my concern. I hope the airlines and the cruiselines do as they are doing in Japan, using infrared to detect fever of all pax intending on transporting themselves.

They don't even know how the virus is spread yet. Why don't you wait until you have a bit more information, such as communicable properties of the virus, long-term effects, best treatments, best ways to keep from getting it, before deciding.

You'll be fine. Don't let the Hysterical Helens get to you. Just wash your hands, keep clean, and take your vitamins.

Seriously, does anyone else remember the utter hysteria over Bird Flu? It was supposed to kill us all. It didn't. :D

that is really what I was thinking.. The Y2K of flus....:rolleyes:

They were advising us not to travel to Mexico two weeks ago because of the drug cartels. I guess now the cartels have the flu and can't kidnap or murder us. I still plan on going on my cruise in two weeks. Since there are confirmed cases 45 miles away it will be safer for me to travel then stay home anyway.

Hey, if Westchester is considered UPSTATE :confused:, Brooklyn and Queens must definately be in the 6th dimension. :D

You didn't get the gist of my post. The poster from Georgia seemed to think that NYC and Long Island were not going to affect each other! Of course that is not true and I wanted that poster to realize that once in hits NYC...there is no telling where it goes.

Fox news just announced that the State Department is now BANNING all unessesary travel to Mexico.

We have 4 kids left at home, this is the only week a year DH and I get alone, while my parents watch the kids. IMO this cruise is necessary travel :D

You didn't get the gist of my post. The poster from Georgia seemed to think that NYC and Long Island were not going to affect each other! Of course that is not true and I wanted that poster to realize that once in hits NYC...there is no telling where it goes.

No, I did. I guess I just didn't convey that. :o

Just like when you sail out of Manhattan, and everyone is talking about sailing under the George Washington Bridge.

Hey, if Westchester is considered UPSTATE :confused:, Brooklyn and Queens must definately be in the 6th dimension. :D

You know Pete I never understood why Westchester was considered upstate by folks on the Island anyway! Now upstae is Lake George as far as I am concerned.

Just this morning I said to DH, who is a health official for NY State, that I wasn't going to worry about this flu thing. Then I realized that I have a friend with 2 kids at that HS in Queens and at my HS and College daughter's school, that load of kids went on spring break to Cancun!

I don't believe in the overuse of the anti-viral lotions and that is why I think we stay healthy, but today I did send the high schooler in with her own bottle!.

No, I did. I guess I just didn't convey that. :o

Just like when you sail out of Manhattan, and everyone is talking about sailing under the George Washington Bridge.

I love NYC....we just took the girls on the Circle LIne again...so touristy...but so great...lots of tourists speaking Italian.....we miss our cruise to the Med!!! DD #1 is off to Italy to study this summer...her own dime...lucky kid!!

Archived