Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

I am very concerned, I sail this Sunday, 5/3 on the Valor and one port is Cozumel. I have just e-mailed Carnival to ask if they have taken Cozumel off their itinerary. If and when I hear, I'll report here.

to take a line from ned and uncle jim, "it's coming right for us!!!!"

;) stay healthy, everyone! take that extra vitamin c. eat your veggies. drink clear liquids. do not strain your body processing excess sweets and fats. wear a mask.

whatever you need to do. i do not think i am deterred from travelling until there are guaranteed zombies on the other side of the boat.

I am very concerned, I sail this Sunday, 5/3 on the Valor and one port is Cozumel. I have just e-mailed Carnival to ask if they have taken Cozumel off their itinerary. If and when I hear, I'll report here.

There is nothing to hear. There are no reported cases in Cozumel, so the port wouldnt be pulled.

Dallas now has a case, better not fly thru this whole city. Same kind of thinking.

EAU has now suggested folks rethink travelling to America because of 20 cases nationwide. Maybe everyone should just stay home. The travel alerts have been extended to America, now its both countries.

The timing of this outbreak truly sucks. I was all set to book a last minute June 7th cruise on the Splendor to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo, but now with this Swine thing, I just can't pull the trigger

I guess I'll wait a little while, and see how this thing plays out first. If the outlook improves, I still may book it (if the price remains the same). Otherwise, I'll have to skip a cruise this year.

..just heard that the E U is advising citizens not to travel to Mexico..

May as well tell them not to come to NY either...

I know I'm staying put till this thing passes. While "THEY" don't know, I don't know.

I know I'm staying put till this thing passes. While "THEY" don't know, I don't know.

You know.. don't visit Long Island (including Queens) you know how we are...

Seriously.. I am leaving next Friday !!!!!!!!!! I was not worried til I came on CC...

You know.. don't visit Long Island (including Queens) you know how we are...

Seriously.. I am leaving next Friday !!!!!!!!!! I was not worried til I came on CC...

I'm quite comfortable having two bridges between me and LI these days. Especially after being one for 18 years! :D

Bon Voyagee!

The US is just about to announce a travel warning for all non-essential travel to Mexico. It will be interesting to see what this means for cruises and airlines.

I wonder if they're going to switch out some ports.

We have quite the swine flu scare going on, as a trip of kids from a high school in Queens NY went to Cancun for spring break and brought it back with them.

LMAO!!!!

I can not say I blame you!

Hi Toni,

If we don't cross paths before then.....ENJOY THE CRUISE!!!!. Looking for a great review as we , or should I say I, am thinking about it for next summer. DH will just come along for the ride.

All the details, please...including lower level cabins and the smoking issue on the balconies.

Thanks,

Lee

We cruised to Cozumel and two of us came back and got sick. Too late to confirm a particular kind of flu. Are you connected with the St. Francis school outbreak?

Not so much connected, but three coworkers have kids there. Yeah, guess who's being quaranteened as I type ...

Please, please, please realize that all of the cases in the US, and as far as I know, the rest of the world except for Mexico, have been MILD. Only 1 in the US was hospitalized, none have died, ALL expected to recover, ALMOST ALL already have. From the exact same virus soup.

A virus does not know what zipcode you live in.

There is obviously some immunity present in the occupants of the US, Canada, and other countries. There are a number of reasons why this is.

However, many if not all of the crew are foreign

Hi Toni,

If we don't cross paths before then.....ENJOY THE CRUISE!!!!. Looking for a great review as we , or should I say I, am thinking about it for next summer. DH will just come along for the ride.

All the details, please...including lower level cabins and the smoking issue on the balconies.

Thanks,

Lee

Thanks Lee!!! Will do!!

Just jumping in here...I just got back from NYC. All is well there. The cases they are talking about are on Long Island. Of course, Long Islander's do go on cruises too.

:cool:

Do you know your geography? Or the work pattern of Long Islanders? Sheesh!

Should the average healthy traveler be concerned with this? Or only those with weakened immune systems..

I am completely serious....

Thanks

T

The average, healthy traveler should be slightly concerned and make sure to wash their hands with soap and hot water. Those with weakened immune systems should consult with their doctor and consider traveling with an OTC anti-viral.

Remember folks, the more you use anti-virals, the more the viruses become resistant. Use them sparingly and only if, you know, you really *are* in the throws coming down with the virus.

Archived