Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

I love NYC....we just took the girls on the Circle LIne again...so touristy...but so great...lots of tourists speaking Italian....

Next time, skip the Circle Line and go on THE BEAST! So much more fun! :D

Since there's 2 confirmed cases in Kansas and I'm in MO. I really dont' think I'd be under any more danger on a cruise then staying put, like someone else mentioned. People travel and come in contact with many other people before they know they are sick. So who knows where the next case will pop up.

LOL

St Francis is in Queens, physically Queens is part of Long Island

I bet that they would be surprised to find out that Brooklyn is also on the same island and only a walk away from lower manhattan. We are walking acroos the Brooklyn Bridge in early June.....we have been planning this for years and now that dd # 4 is able....we are going.....I can't wait.i

My BIL and SIL are on the Valor as we speak, they were supposed to call at Coz....does anyone have an update on port changes.......They are due to be at my house on the 9th.....hope they skip the port. But then again this thing spreads easily with cruise ships going from port to port, I would think...so no real way around it unfortunately.

OMG want to talk about panick, There is a photo shoot over Jersey of a fighter jet following a replica of Air Force One.. People are in a craze!

Why dont they 'warn' people instead of creating a "War of the Worlds" type reaction??

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department plans to issue a travel warning later on Monday urging Americans to avoid all "nonessential" travel to Mexico because of an outbreak of swine flu, a U.S. official said.

Swine flu has killed 103 people in Mexico and has spread to the United States. Spain has reported one case of the virus, the first to be confirmed in Europe.

"There will be a travel warning urging Americans to avoid all nonessential travel to Mexico because of the swine flu," said a U.S. official, who spoke on condition he not be named as the warning has not yet been announced.

(Reporting by Sue Pleming; Editing by Will Dunham)

Fox news just announced that the State Department is now BANNING all unessesary travel to Mexico.

Not true. The actual Fox News headline is "State Dept. reportedly will urge Americans to avoid 'non-essential' travel". Of course in true Fox News tradition, there are no supporting details. They don't even say who reported this.

OMG want to talk about panick, There is a photo shoot over Jersey of a fighter jet following a replica of Air Force One.. People are in a craze!

Why dont they 'warn' people instead of creating a "War of the Worlds" type reaction??

Can you believe this is prompting evacuations of buildings in southern Manhattan!!!!????

President Obama just announced that no American should travel to Mexico unless it is essential. Those are his words not mine. I think with his making a statement like that you will begin to see changes in where the cruise ships will be stopping if at all in Mexico. We are suppose to go there on Freedom in June and it is one of my favorite ports, but if Carnival changes the stop to somewhere else I don't care as long as I'm on the ship.

Ahem.

CDC Recommendations

CDC has NOT recommended that people avoid travel to Mexico at this time. If you are planning travel to Mexico, follow these recommendations to reduce your risk of infection and help you stay healthy.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I've never seen so much paranoia and hype.

I go in less than three weeks, and the only thing that will stop me is CCL canceling, or the govt banning the travel all together. And I seriously doubt either of those will happen.

All this worry is ridiculous!

Spanish Health Department and other European governments are recommending not to travel to Mexico in the next days. However, they

guarantee that this disease is perfectly curable in developed countries with a simple vaccination.

The problem comes in when wrong info is posted. There is a huge difference between recommending against nonessential travel and banning. Banning means there's no choice, ports are closed and travel is well banned. Recommending no travel doesn't mean a thing, people can choose if they want to travel or not. HUGE difference

President Obama just announced that no American should travel to Mexico unless it is essential. Those are his words not mine. I think with his making a statement like that you will begin to see changes in where the cruise ships will be stopping if at all in Mexico. We are suppose to go there on Freedom in June and it is one of my favorite ports, but if Carnival changes the stop to somewhere else I don't care as long as I'm on the ship.

So....say your cruise is the Mexican Riviera........where do you think the changes would be:confused::o

Do people even read anything anymore? The Swine Flu has "Pandemic potential". It is NOT a pandemic. It has the potential to become a pandemic.

Yeesh. Some folks on here need to take a deep breath, and read whole articles before popping off and posting inaccurate about things like this. Overreaction is not helping anyone.

Can u actually see the shoot from your office? If so, awesome!!

Do people even read anything anymore? The Swine Flu has "Pandemic potential". It is NOT a pandemic. It has the potential to become a pandemic.

Yeesh. Some folks on here need to take a deep breath, and read whole articles before popping off and posting inaccurate about things like this. Overreaction is not helping anyone.

LOL! The flu does not scare me........I just want to know ahead of time if my cruise will be cancelled:D

So....say your cruise is the Mexican Riviera........where do you think the changes would be:confused::o

7 exciting days at sea. I really feel for the CC group on the Splendor right now if that happens. I mean still better then a week at work but still no days at port would stink.

Three outbreaks in Cibolo Texas - which is just outside of San Antonio. The Cibolo school district has closed all there schools for the entire week......

I'm sure the kids love this colossal overreaction! :D

7 exciting days at sea. I really feel for the CC group on the Splendor right now if that happens. I mean still better then a week at work but still no days at port would stink.

That's what worries me.......they better give us a choice to cancel....

Archived