UK Cruisers: Travel Insurance invalidated if you go to Cozumel

There is already talk here in Key West of not allowing cruise ships into port that are coming from Mexican ports.

The more I think about it the more I am convinced that surely the US Goverment will put pressure on the cruise lines to make all Mexican ports off limits for now.

So you take 4,000 passengers to Mexico, they all get off a few catch swine flu and then they all get back on. 3 or 4 days later the ship returns to Miami and who knows 200 - 300 infected individuals enter the US and thats just one ship !

Surely common sense will prevail and the right decision will be made.

Have just got off the phone to my travel Insurance company. They have told me that in light of the FCO directive not to visit Mexico, If I choose to continue with my cruise and it stops at Cozumel whilst the directive is still in place (We tavel in 4 weeks) then we will NOT be covered should one of us fall ill.

Spoke to TA and told them we wanted to transfer our holiday to something else and they are telling me that they dont know if they can do that. They said "Royal Caribbean are still happy to go there (Cozumel)". I told them that we were not still happy to go there as we would be therefore travelling without insurance.

They're "getting back to me".

I don't know about the rules/laws in the UK. However, in the US if you purchased your insurance before this became a known event (I believe the date is April 24) then you will be covered. If you purchased your insurance after this became a known event, you will not be covered.

I don't know about the rules/laws in the UK. However, in the US if you purchased your insurance before this became a known event (I believe the date is April 24) then you will be covered. If you purchased your insurance after this became a known event, you will not be covered.

Basically it is as I have described.

The option available is to cancel the cruise, lose my money and then try and claim it back.

As the day goes on the more tempted I am to travel whatever happens. However I think RCI will make the sensible decision for now and continue to monitor.

Let's face it, if there is still a risk in 1 month time then things will really have got out of control and there is no way on earth that RCI will be allowed to take passengers to Mexico.

The option available is to cancel the cruise, lose my money and then try and claim it back.

As the day goes on the more tempted I am to travel whatever happens. However I think RCI will make the sensible decision for now and continue to monitor.

Let's face it, if there is still a risk in 1 month time then things will really have got out of control and there is no way on earth that RCI will be allowed to take passengers to Mexico.

I think that is the best option.. dont change the plans. The worst is you miss a port, but your airfare and all other arrangements remain as is. Changing would be a nightmare. I'm with you on this.. in a month, if it's still a problem, the Mexican ports will have been taken off the itinerary.

Sometimes the rules/laws in the UK seem to favor the consumer over the rules/laws in the US. Other times the rules/laws in the US seem to favor the consumer over the rules/laws in the UK.

I guess it is half a dozen of one, six of another.

Sometimes the rules/laws in the UK seem to favor the consumer over the rules/laws in the US. Other times the rules/laws in the US seem to favor the consumer over the rules/laws in the UK.

I guess it is half a dozen of one, six of another.

When it comes to holidays however, we (The UK) definitely get had over.

The prices we pay for everything in this country is a complete rip off.

Oh dear.

You're incorrect, already two cases of Swine Flu in Cancun.

No, TBS is correct there have been no known CONFIRMED cases originating from Cancun or any other of the resort areas, this is from the CDC and the WHO, not a story from a newspaper. This is an accurate map

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&source=embed&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=15.738151,25.488281

No, TBS is correct there have been no known CONFIRMED cases originating from Cancun or any other of the resort areas, this is from the CDC and the WHO, not a story from a newspaper. This is an accurate map

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&source=embed&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=15.738151,25.488281

2 people in Falkirk Scotland contracted it in Cancun.

Your map shows were the cases have been reported not where they contracted it.

NO you are wrong. 2 people from Scotland contracted it in Cancun. Confirmed.

2 people in Falkirk Scotland contracted it in Cancun.

Your map shows were the cases have been reported not where they contracted it.

well if they supposedly contacted from there wouldn't there be other cases? Otherwise how did they contract it? There had to be a source in Cancun if they contracted it there and there are NONE. Or they had it from another source.:rolleyes:

well if they supposedly contacted from there wouldn't there be other cases? Otherwise how did they contract it? There had to be a source in Cancun if they contracted it there and there are NONE. Or they had it from another source.:rolleyes:

There may be other cases, as there are currently 1600 suspected cases in Mexico, some my be in Cancun, many of these may be false alarms, but we cannot say where it is not atm, we can only say were there are no confirmed cases.

Fact.. 2 people from Scotland contracted Swine Flu in Cancun.

There IS another case.

Source.. Scotland's Minister for Health.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/scottish-health-minister-nicola-sturgeon-confirms-swine-flu

I was a microbiologist once in my career. I know that in a normal year 3000 to 5000 people die in the USA of viral influenza. In a bad year such as 1968 15000 or more may die. 100 people dying in Mexico City from flu is probably not greater than one standard deviation away from the mean for flu deaths this time of the year. In 1968 it took months to identify the Hong Kong strain. Now we can do it in hours, we have tamiflu which mutes the infection (does not cure or prevent it). Questions to ask are what was the existing health of the individuals who passed away or did they have any complicating factors. Somewhere in the world every year there is a spike of flu cases from a new virus. SARS was overkill this will end up being over kill to. How many people will die in emergency rooms from injuries because doctors could not get to them because of all the hypochondriacs wanting to have their temperature taken? We look forward to an empty ship and empty ports this June, we will be there.

Hi

The couple from Scotland returned from honeymoon in Cancun last Tuesday. 22 people they have came into contact with since returning including a 5 year old child have had tests. Only seven of those have any symptoms.

The groom started to show signs of being unwell on Thursday with his wife becoming unwell soon after. They were admitted to hospital on Saturday. The reports we are getting here is they have never been considered serious and have responded well to treatment. This is the reports we are seeing in local papers.

It may well be treatable but I think it is a big risk for RCI to take people into any percieved danger. Partucularly for UK cruisers who's insurance would then be invalid.

Scotfi

Easy a day trip or someome from Cancun who'd been to Mexico city !!

jj......

"The Scottish newlyweds who contracted swine flu while honeymooning in the Mexican resort of Cancún are recovering from their symptoms, and one of them could be released from hospital today, the prime minister said."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/28/swine-flu-scotland-mexico

pretty darn close to wear the cruise ships dock and with plenty of shore excursions offered to Cancun.

Lovely...so they were in Cancun when we stopped in Cozumel...hope they didn't go to Cozumel that day. Of course I do hope they are both much better very soon.

My mother is with her friends on the West Coast of Mexico right now...hopefully the resort where the condo is located is doing a good job of only letting healthy EEs work there and keeping the place really clean. Don't want mom or any of her friends to get sick.

Archived