UK Cruisers: Travel Insurance invalidated if you go to Cozumel

Have just got off the phone to my travel Insurance company. They have told me that in light of the FCO directive not to visit Mexico, If I choose to continue with my cruise and it stops at Cozumel whilst the directive is still in place (We tavel in 4 weeks) then we will NOT be covered should one of us fall ill.

Spoke to TA and told them we wanted to transfer our holiday to something else and they are telling me that they dont know if they can do that. They said "Royal Caribbean are still happy to go there (Cozumel)". I told them that we were not still happy to go there as we would be therefore travelling without insurance.

They're "getting back to me".

Have just got off the phone to my travel Insurance company. They have told me that in light of the FCO directive not to visit Mexico, If I choose to continue with my cruise and it stops at Cozumel whilst the directive is still in place (We tavel in 4 weeks) then we will NOT be covered should one of us fall ill.

Spoke to TA and told them we wanted to transfer our holiday to something else and they are telling me that they dont know if they can do that. They said "Royal Caribbean are still happy to go there (Cozumel)". I told them that we were not still happy to go there as we would be therefore travelling without insurance.

They're "getting back to me".

Now thats a dilema!!! Surely they have to do something?:eek:

Now thats a dilema!!! Surely they have to do something?:eek:

USA Goverment says "don't go to Cozumel"

UK Goverment says "Don't go to Cozumel"

Insurance company says "If you go then you're not covered"

Travel Agent says "We're still selling cruises to Mexico until cruise lines say no"

Royal Caribbean say "they will stick with itineraries that include Mexican ports. No cases of the swine flu have been reported on cruise ships.".................YET !

I can understand that Royal Caribbean can't let you cancel at such short notice since it's beyond their control, BUT I think that Royal C. and all other cruise lines will have to avoid Mexico for the time being. And even then it's not a guarantee.

I think that once one cruise line takes the step the other ones will follow.

Travel Agent says "We're still selling cruises to Mexico until cruise lines say no"

Royal Caribbean say "they will stick with itineraries that include Mexican ports. No cases of the swine flu have been reported on cruise ships.".................YET !

No cases have been reported in any of the resort towns or cruiseport stops

I do not know about UK laws, but if a travel insurance company tried to change a previously issued contract here in the US, they would be sued for breach of contract. They can change the conditions for contracts that are issued for future use.

I do not know about UK laws, but if a travel insurance company tried to change a previously issued contract here in the US, they would be sued for breach of contract. They can change the conditions for contracts that are issued for future use.

They haven't changed anything.

The terms and conditions apparently state that if you travel to a country that has been declared off limits by the British goverment, you do so at your own risk.

............yet

right, so at this time there is nothing to worry about in those ports. Mexico city is 800 miles away from Cancun/Cozumel area and right now there are more cases close to me here in NY (Queens is 45 minutes away by car) then you would be in any of the cruise port stops in Mexico. the media is hyping this and frankly scaring the bejeesus out of people. In any give regular flu season there are 1000's of deaths each year.

No cases have been reported in any of the resort towns or cruiseport stops

"The Scottish newlyweds who contracted swine flu while honeymooning in the Mexican resort of Cancún are recovering from their symptoms, and one of them could be released from hospital today, the prime minister said."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/28/swine-flu-scotland-mexico

pretty darn close to wear the cruise ships dock and with plenty of shore excursions offered to Cancun.

right, so at this time there is nothing to worry about in those ports. Mexico city is 800 miles away from Cancun/Cozumel area and right now there are more cases close to me here in NY (Queens is 45 minutes away by car) then you would be in any of the cruise port stops in Mexico. the media is hyping this and frankly scaring the bejeesus out of people. In any give regular flu season there are 1000's of deaths each year.

Oh dear.

You're incorrect, already two cases of Swine Flu in Cancun.

Nightmare!! I would have to cancel, I couldnt risk getting the flu.:(

The 2 people in Scotland that have the virus contracted in in Cancun.

Nightmare!! I would have to cancel, I couldnt risk getting the flu.:(

I'm trying to get transfered onto another cruise.

If I have to cancel my insurance company says I can make a claim but they can't tell me whether I would get reimbursed in full at present.

It's cost us a fortune. Including Virgin Premium economy and balcony cabin £ 1700 each for 1 week !!

Oh dear! I'm so sorry for you :( I really hope you manage to sort something out.

There have been 2 confirmed cases of Swine Flu in Cancun.

Let me get this right... it ok to arrive in Cancun by ship but not by plane :confused:

Oh dear! I'm so sorry for you :( I really hope you manage to sort something out.

There have been 2 confirmed cases of Swine Flu in Cancun.

Let me get this right... it ok to arrive in Cancun by ship but not by plane :confused:

Exactly !!

UK TA's are not selling or flying people to Mexico at present.

My TA said stupidly enough "but you're not flying to Mexico, you're flying to Miami"

When I told them "Yes but the cruise is stopping in Cozumel" she said

"Well dont get off then"

Then I reminded her that others would be getting off and back on thus the chance of virus entering ship she said "Oh. Well I don't know what to suggest".

It's unbelievable why they just don't seem to understand the predicament. As it stands there is no way we can go as we will have no travel insurance (technically).

ABTA are my next port of call.

"Well dont get off then"

:D Sorry, shouldn't laugh but that make me chuckle.

I can't see any cruiseline risking porting anywhere near Cozumel. I think we will get confirmation of this following their meeting this afternoon... otherwise I think they may well have mass mutinys to deal with!

Exactly !!

UK TA's are not selling or flying people to Mexico at present.

My TA said stupidly enough "but you're not flying to Mexico, you're flying to Miami"

"Well dont get off then"

Then I reminded her that others would be getting off and back on thus the chance of virus entering ship she said "Oh. Well I don't know what to suggest".

It's unbelievable why they just don't seem to understand the predicament. As it stands there is no way we can go as we will have no travel insurance (technically).

ABTA are my next port of call.

Keep us updated Kimberley

I can't see any cruiseline risking porting anywhere near Cozumel. I think we will get confirmation of this following their meeting this afternoon... otherwise I think they may well have mass mutinys to deal with!

I agree. I expect that cruise lines will avoid Cozumel for the next few weeks at least.

Already cases in Europe. Surely 4000 people on board Liberty (for example) getting on and off at Cozumel isn't a great idea right now.

Apparently already today HAL and Carnival have today avoided Cozumel and Carnival are making a decision on what to do next at 5PM.

Once one of them decides to steer clear they all will.

Surely ?

I think you are right there. I cant see they will carry on stopping in Mexico, imagine the outcry if someone caught the flu from there. And there are so many people compacted on a cruise ship, then they go home to all different parts of the world, how easy it would spread, it would be stupid to risk it.

This post from Kelly CC UK mod. Carnival is cancelling Mexican ports today

We have just heard from Carnival that Mexico port of calls for today will be cancelled.

Those impacted are:

-- Carnival Inspiration's call in Cozumel

-- Holiday's call in Cozumel

-- Carnival Elation's call in Ensenada.

A spokesperson for the line told us that information on itinerary changes will follow soon.

We'll keep you posted.

Kelly

U.K. Editor

Cruise Critic

Archived