?? on Ginger Pils

tammi0916

Hi! I have read about ginger pills helping with motion sickness and have started looking for them for our upcoming cruise (July 4th on the Glory!- Whoo Hoo) and have only found Ginger Root Pills - is this the same thing? Just want to make sure I buy the right thing.

Thanks so much!

Yep. The ginger that we use as a spice is from the root of the ginger plant. Those are the right pills. i took them on our cruise last week and didn't have any problems. I didn't stop taking them to see if they were really doing anything, however :D

I actually started taking them a week before I left. Just to be on the safe side. I bought them at a Vitamin store here in town. The bottle I bought said to take 1 pill three times a day, so, that is what I did!

Hi! I have read about ginger pills helping with motion sickness and have started looking for them for our upcoming cruise (July 4th on the Glory!- Whoo Hoo) and have only found Ginger Root Pills - is this the same thing? Just want to make sure I buy the right thing.

Thanks so much!

i found mine at wal mart real cheap. also i bought a 1 liter bottle (plastic) of the shasta ginger ale and tucked it in our luggage. we took two grandkids and this was their 3rd cruise and never been sick but sea's had been rougher than normal so i wanted to be somewhat prepared. they loved drinking the ginger ale at night.

also eat plenty of apples (peelings a must) learned that 8 cruises ago. i pick up a supply on lido at breakfast and keep them in the room for snack. the kids have learned that trick too. so they are eating healthy snacks. i always get them in the morning cause i don't see them out later in the day.

i got sick on my first cruise and was at that time told about the apples and that was the first and last time to get sick. getting ready for #9. took the ginger root capsules and ginger ale last time also.

good luck

i found mine at wal mart real cheap. also i bought a 1 liter bottle (plastic) of the shasta ginger ale and tucked it in our luggage. we took two grandkids and this was their 3rd cruise and never been sick but sea's had been rougher than normal so i wanted to be somewhat prepared. they loved drinking the ginger ale at night.

also eat plenty of apples (peelings a must) learned that 8 cruises ago. i pick up a supply on lido at breakfast and keep them in the room for snack. the kids have learned that trick too. so they are eating healthy snacks. i always get them in the morning cause i don't see them out later in the day.

i got sick on my first cruise and was at that time told about the apples and that was the first and last time to get sick. getting ready for #9. took the ginger root capsules and ginger ale last time also.

good luck

Never heard of the apple thing but sounds great - we are traveling with our 10 yr old daughter and rather than give her a pill I will try out the apple and agreed, I am all for healthly snacks! We are already planning on taking a 6 pk of Ginger Ale (for my DH who likes to mix it with the Vanilla Vodka I will put in my rum runners - he say's it tastes like cream soda) so maybe I will just bring a 12 pk instead. Thanks for the great tip!

Traditional Medicinal makes a ginger tea called "GingerAid". I drank this when I had to undergo chemo a few years back. It works really well and it's tasty too (ok - why do I feel like I am doing a "Vitameatavegamin" commercial- lol). You can get the tea at local grocery stores, Trader Joes and, if you are lucky enough to be in San Diego, Henry's Market.

My mom took them for a few days before our cruise. We had some really rough waters, and it didn't even bother her. It also seemed to help her acid reflux. Apparently the ginger helps to reduce the amount of acid in your stomach. She kept taking them even after we got back.

What ae the odds that you would not get sick without taking the pills? Maybe they are not even needed?

Don't know but since this is my first cruise I don't want to find out that I should have taken them after being sick for several days.....trying to think ahead.

Don't know but since this is my first cruise I don't want to find out that I should have taken them after being sick for several days.....trying to think ahead.

Ginger pills are supposed to be good if you overeat too. So, even if you don't get motion sickness, there could be a pretty good chance of overeating on a cruise! :D

You can also use the pickled ginger from the Sushi Bar. I only eat the ginger if I feel sick, they settle the stomach.

Green apples are tarter (maybe that is why they work) than the red ones. Also the reds seem to get mealy after a while.

HAL has the 'Yum Yum Man'. He hands out apples and stomach soothers at the front of the DRs.

I don't get seasick, but unfortunately, I have gotten sick on my last two cruises. In October, I woke up at 4 in the morning sick and then continued to be sick when we woke up. I had that very awful empty stomach feeling and we were on our way to an excursion, so a friend we met on the cruise gave me a ginger root. I felt so much better!!! On my cruise in February, I woke up in the middle of the night and was sick again. Luckily, I didn't feel bad after.

With me, I believe it may be the overeating as someone else mentioned. I have a problem with eating until I'm done, not until I'm full... LOL. It's all just too good! We are doing another 8 day this October and I will be buying the ginger root and just eating it every day throughout the cruise.

For the lady who mentioned not wanting to give her daughter a pill, if you go to a health foods store, it's simply a container of ginger root that you chew up and swallow. Not a pill or a capsule. Kind of looks like rock salt if you know what I mean, only it's ginger. :p

Archived