New Ocean Terminal in Southampton... Any Advice?

JWB.ESQ

Can anyone share their experiences with the nuts and bolts of embarkation at the new Ocean Terminal facility serving Berth 46? Specifically, how do the traffic pattern for private cars, taxis and coaches, and the arrangements for handing off luggage to porters compare to the Queen Elizabeth Terminal?

We need to return a rental car on West Quay Road, about 1.5 miles away, on June 13th. We typically arrive relatively early. Based on anyone's experiences, how long should it take to drive in from Gate 4, deposit our luggage, and then drive back out? Another alternative is for both of us, with luggage, to take a taxi from the car rental location to the Terminal. Who out there has tried what... and with what results?

The first ship to use this new terminal will be Arcadia on May 16th, so nobody knows for sure what the layout of the terminal will be like, unless someone who lives locally has been able to get a sneaky peek. It appears to be very slightly closer to Dock gate4 than the QE11 terminal. Personally I would drop off rental car and get a taxi from there to take me and my luggage to the terminal.

Regards

David

I read on line yesterday (sorry - can't find the link now) that the completion of the new terminal will be 2 weeks late. This is corroborated by the Southampton APB cruise ship schedule, which now shows that Oceana (originally the first vessel to depart from the new Ocean Terminal) will be leaving from the 'Eastern Docks (River Test)' on the 9th of May. This means that Arcadia will now be the first ship to use this new terminal on May Th. (assuming there are no more delays!)

Watch this space!!!!!!

Regards,

David

i am on queen victoria may 20 scheduled to use the new terminal 46/47. if its ready by then!!:)

I should think that it should be completed by then, but just in case, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Regards,

David

Oh no! I am going on the 2 night Arcadia cruise on the 16th of May. I hope everything is working ok from the terminal. If there are big delays people will be cross as it is always a bit of a nightmare on these short trips.

Wish me luck. We have friends coming with us who have not cruised before so we want things to go well.

Wondering why the QE2 terminal isn't being used for Victoria, l love that terminal.

Jackie :)

I read that they had problems getting her to line up with the gangway. I don't know if that is the reason but I read it somewhre.I am due to use the new terminal when I go on QM2 in July I hope everything works as well as it did at the QEII terminal. Pudd, as the first user, it's your job to report back, with pictures. :D

I read that they had problems getting her to line up with the gangway. I don't know if that is the reason but I read it somewhre.I am due to use the new terminal when I go on QM2 in July I hope everything works as well as it did at the WWII terminal. Pu dd, as the first user, it's your job to report back, with pictures. :D

You are correct Stephen regarding alignment - but it's vertical alignment not horizontal alignment.

The QE11 Terminal was originally designed for Ocean Liners (as opposed to Cruise Ships), where passengers embarked/disembarked at a level several decks above the quayside. This is why, after initial check-in at the QE11 Terminal, passengers take the escalator up to the embarkation lounge, the exit of which aligns with the terminal's entrance ramp onto the vessel. Although some vertical adjustment if this ramp is possible (to allow for tides and slight variations between vessels), it will not lower sufficiently to align with many modern vessels.

It was for this reason that when we returned to the QE11 Terminal after our last voyage on Queen Victoria, (which has the main entrances/exits on decks 1 and 2) we disembarked from the ship directly onto the quayside, where many security personnel and guides directed us into the QE11 Terminal.

With much dockside activity (fork lift trucks etc.) occurring immediately adjacent to the disembarking passengers, I would imagine that someone has declared this to be a hazard under the Health and Safety Regulations, and thus no longer acceptable.

YorksLady - I hope that the above has also answered your question.

Regards,

David

YorksLady - I hope that the above has also answered your question.

Regards,

David

David, Yes thank you, very good reading actually! Is QV not scheduled to dock there on 6th MAY? or have l got it wrong again :confused:

David, Yes thank you, very good reading actually! Is QV not scheduled to dock there on Th MAY? or have l got it wrong again :confused:

No, you have NOT got it wrong Jackie.

According to the Southampton page on the Associated British Ports web site (http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/cruise_ship.asp), you will be leaving from 38/38, which is the QEII Terminal. You will check in as normal, go upstairs to the embarkation lounge, and then when called to embark, exit the lounge and probably go down an escalator to dockside level, where you will walk across the quay and up the gangway onto deck 1 or 2 . (Hope that it's not raining for you!). Which deck they use will depend upon tides etc.

The APB website, although 'provisional', is usually pretty accurate, (particularly for arrivals and departures in the not-too-distant future) and usually gives passengers access to the latest information, well before the cruise lines (Cunard) inform their passengers.

Hope that this helps, and have an absolutely fantastic voyage.

Regards,

David

Yes David, it's the site that l use to see what is berthing where! I think QM2 is there today.

We actually sail on QV on May 20th, so suppose we shall just have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks again for the information.

I will try and report back about the new terminal when I get back from Arcadia on 18/05. Why do they have to change things? We went on QM2 for the 1st time last June and love the way you just turn up and get onboard. Looks like we will be leaving from the same one for our September trip on QM.

there are 4 cruise ships in tomorrow (saturday) if one of them is on 46, i will see it and report tomorrow. mike in southampton.:)

Hi Mike,

Which vessel is scheduled to berth at 46? The ABP website shows four vessels docking tomorrow (Saturday), and locates them as: -

• Independence of the Seas - Berth 101 (City Cruise Terminal)
  • Oceana - berthing at Eastern Docks (River Test)
  • Oriana - Berth 106 (Mayflower Cruise Terminal)
  • Brand Princess - Berth 38/39 (QEII Terminal)

It would be interesting to know how 46 is looking, as the last that I heard was that completion was running behind schedule by two weeks.

Thanks & regards,

David

hello david, oceana was originaly scheduled for 46, the latest imformation is interesting. this river test eastern docks is very vague. no such berth! sometimes when space is short, they double up on 106, calling the shared berth 106/ 105. this i guess is what is going to happen tomorrow. i will see in the morning, i live opposite the cruise terminal, at hythe. regards, mike.:)

June 13, I will be taking my 4th voyage on QM11 transatlantic.

first 2 times departed from QE11 termina, and from getting out of car, to entering cabing with immediate delivery of luggage was tops 30 minutes.

Last year we left from the Mayflower terminal, check in was not bad, but

the wait to get on the ship took forever, then just 2 suitcases came and had to wait over 2 hours for the 3rd one, not too happy.

Hope the new Ocean terminal will be better!

Transatlantic crossing lover

hello david, Oceania was originally scheduled for 46, the latest information is interesting. this river test eastern docks is very vague. no such berth! sometimes when space is short, they double up on 106, calling the shared berth 106/ 105. this i guess is what is going to happen tomorrow. i will see in the morning, i live opposite the cruise terminal, at hither. regards, mike.:)

Hello Mike,

It would be interesting to know exactly what they mean by "Eastern Docks - River Test". Lets hope that the master of the vessel docking there knows!

I now have an envious wife after she learned that you are just across the water from the cruise terminals!!!!!!!! She will be watching the live AIS early tomorrow morning, and has now asked me if we can move to Hythe please!!.

Thanks & regards,

David

Archived