Infinity itinerary change

The Infinity will be stopping in San Diego , Catalina Island and San Francisco next week instead of Huatulco , Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas.I heard from someone on their roll call that most of the ship is upset about it.Is it just me or do other cruisers feel that in a situation where all the cruiselines have pulled out of Mexico on our governments recommendation that this is not a bad tradeoff?We were on a Hawaiian cruise in November that started a day late due to a medical emergency on the cruise before us.We missed most of a port stop in Hawaii but we still had a great cruise and were compensated well for our missed day.Just wondering?

You're always going to have complainers, no matter what. On one hand, you have a certain group who are upset at the port changes and then on the other hand this same group would be the first to complain if they happened to get H1N1 if the ship didn't change the ports and stopped in Mexico. Celebrity just can't win.

On the HAL board, there is a post from someone on a repo cruise complaining that instead of sea days in exchange for the missed Mexican ports, HAL decided to go back and make some stops in Guatemala and Nicaragua. If you look on the Carnival and RCCL boards, there are people complaining because they are going to the Pacific Northwest now instead of the Mexican Riviera. Before they announced Pacific Northwest, there were people complaining because they thought they would be going to San Diego and Catalina (and there are people on the Princess board complaining because that's where they are going). Then there are the people complaining because the ship isn't going down to Mexico and just sitting off the coast for a week - which is of course countered by the people mad because they don't want that many sea days. And even better the ones that are mad because they cancelled the Mexico stops at all because they think this is all overblown.

So the cruiselines can't win in these situations.

Allow me to preface this comment with the fact that we will be boarding Infinity in San Francisco on May 11th.

I'm thrilled that Infinity will not be stopping in the Mexican ports of call because it lessens our exposure to what would be a deadly virus for my husband's health issues.

While this itinerary deviation is good for us health wise (and everyone on both the current cruise and the one we are on), I'm certain this is heartbreaking for the current passengers that have paid and planned on a dream Panama Canal cruise.

We were on an Infinity Hawaii cruise in the spring of 2007 that had probably 3-4 itinerary changes (before and during the cruise) but Celebrity did their best to compensate us for the inconvenience.

I'm half packed and waiting on the Infinity to arrive in San Francisco so I can enjoy my Celebrity Suite in Alaska.:D

We were on an Infinity Hawaii cruise in the spring of 2007 that had probably 3-4 itinerary changes (before and during the cruise) but Celebrity did their best to compensate us for the inconvenience.

Is there anyone else out there who is tired of seeing the word "compensate" in every post regarding cancelled ports and/or itinerary changes?

Perhaps X (and every other cruise line) shouldn't bother to cancel ports but instead should permit pax to disembark and have a rolicking old time in Mexico. Of course, getting back on the ship would have to be a no-no - which would surely lead to demands for compensation for illness-related expenses, not to mention a cruise cut short and airfare home. Now THAT'S an inconvenience!

Boy, I can't believe they'd force me to go to San Francisco instead of fantastic Huatulco! We've been to Huatulco and liked it. went to the cooking class. Nice time. But San Francisco!?! You've got to be kidding me. Wine country, unbelievable seafood, one of the most beautiful cities, the most beautiful Bridge, catching the ferry over to Solcilito and back. Seeing San Francisco from the Bay is unbelievable, and sailing under the Golden Gate is a once in a lifetime experience.They will have a 'hotel' on the Embarkadero! Walking distance of Chinatown, Little Italy, and the wharf!

OK, I can't go on anymore. All those people should get huge compensation for being forced to go to San Francisco - compensation, the whole reason to be complaining and acting as if their lives are ruined.

They will all probably use the compensation to go on a NW Pacific cruise!

Denny

Boy, I can't believe they'd force me to go to San Francisco instead of fantastic Huatulco! We've been to Huatulco and liked it. went to the cooking class. Nice time. But San Francisco!?! You've got to be kidding me. Wine country, unbelievable seafood, one of the most beautiful cities, the most beautiful Bridge, catching the ferry over to Solcilito and back. Seeing San Francisco from the Bay is unbelievable, and sailing under the Golden Gate is a once in a lifetime experience.They will have a 'hotel' on the Embarkadero! Walking distance of Chinatown, Little Italy, and the wharf!

OK, I can't go on anymore. All those people should get huge compensation for being forced to go to San Francisco - compensation, the whole reason to be complaining and acting as if their lives are ruined.

They will all probably use the compensation to go on a NW Pacific cruise!

Denny

They should pay a little extra to be able to experience San Fran:D

On the HAL board, there is a post from someone on a repo cruise complaining that instead of sea days in exchange for the missed Mexican ports, HAL decided to go back and make some stops in Guatemala and Nicaragua. If you look on the Carnival and RCCL boards, there are people complaining because they are going to the Pacific Northwest now instead of the Mexican Riviera. Before they announced Pacific Northwest, there were people complaining because they thought they would be going to San Diego and Catalina (and there are people on the Princess board complaining because that's where they are going). Then there are the people complaining because the ship isn't going down to Mexico and just sitting off the coast for a week - which is of course countered by the people mad because they don't want that many sea days. And even better the ones that are mad because they cancelled the Mexico stops at all because they think this is all overblown.

So the cruiselines can't win in these situations.

Hi, I have a good friend on HAL right now. Actually I got an

email from him today. They are in San Diego at the moment

and he said more than 100 people decided to get off the ship

because they have Calif and sea days instead of the original

itinerary.

And they had to pay over 300.00 to disembark early as well.

He is very happy just being on the ship:)California and the

Pacific Ocean seem quite nice;)

Hi, I have a good friend on HAL right now. Actually I got an

email from him today. They are in San Diego at the moment

and he said more than 100 people decided to get off the ship

because they have Calif and sea days instead of the original

itinerary.

And they had to pay over 300.00 to disembark early as well.

He is very happy just being on the ship:)California and the

Pacific Ocean seem quite nice;)

Finally word from a pax onboard with enough smarts and common sense to deal with the unexpected without whipping himself into a frenzy, making outrageous demands or coming apart at the seams...how novel and utterly charming!

Wonder how long it will be before we hear from some of the folks who disembarked early, advising us of their intent not only never to cruise with HAL again but also to seek compensation for their intolerable pain and suffering. Gonna have to move over to the HAL boards when that gets going and get a jumbo bucket of popcorn ready for that one!

Finally word from a pax onboard with enough smarts and common sense to deal with the unexpected without whipping himself into a frenzy, making outrageous demands or coming apart at the seams...how novel and utterly charming!

Wonder how long it will be before we hear from some of the folks who disembarked early, advising us of their intent not only never to cruise with HAL again but also to seek compensation for their intolerable pain and suffering. Gonna have to move over to the HAL boards when that gets going and get a jumbo bucket of popcorn ready for that one!

Hi:) this particular pal is one of those folks who are

"type B" personality...very calm and laid back. He is more

than happy to have the ship as his destination.

Hi:) this particular pal is one of those folks who are

"type B" personality...very calm and laid back. He is more

than happy to have the ship as his destination.

Far better than being one of those Type A's whose idea of relaxing on a cruise is easing up a bit on the clenched fists while continuing to keep the teeth firmly gritted! Hope he enjoys the rest of his cruise.

I am very pleased that Infinity will not be stopping in Mexico. I was most worried about the crew getting infected (they usually go to Costco or Walmart in port) and then working in the galley, etc. Could have meant weeks of a sick ship. I think it was a good decision to bypass Mexico.

Dang! I wish I was on the Infinity right now.They had a beautiful Panama Canal transit today.I took pictures of the web cam on my computer for my family that is currently on it.They still have over a week to go.Thanks for the input.I thought the post about San Francisco instead of Huatulco was hilarious and yes I have been to Huatulco and San Francisco.

My DH posted in my name he thought I was nuts for taking pics on the computer of the web cam today.Now that he knows my info take all my posts with a grain of salt.It might really be him.I will change my info tomorrow.I love him anyway.

I'm certain this is heartbreaking for the current passengers that have paid and planned on a dream Panama Canal cruise.

.:D

This is what they still get !! So, why would they be upset since 3 stops in an area that Govn't folks decreed unadviseable to visit are replaced with three stops elsewhere, and not at all in the ugliest part of the country....and all this AFTER they transited the Canal.??

Some folks just can't be happy with anything.

It's either not right, or it's wrong

Cheers

:)

My DH posted in my name he thought I was nuts for taking pics on the computer of the web cam today.Now that he knows my info take all my posts with a grain of salt.It might really be him.I will change my info tomorrow.I love him anyway.

That's funny, sounds like something I would do!

Thanks for this post.I reprimanded him and let him know the message board etiquette.Ahh I think I spelled that wrong!Any way my parents will be in San Francisco next Saturday and we will try to spend the day with them.I know that this is a day trip for all of us but we are making the best of it.I'm actually looking forward to it.My 81 yr.old Aunt is on this cruise with my parents and it's her first cruise!She is from Massachusetts and I hope to spend the day with her!

I am very pleased that Infinity will not be stopping in Mexico. I was most worried about the crew getting infected (they usually go to Costco or Walmart in port) and then working in the galley, etc. Could have meant weeks of a sick ship. I think it was a good decision to bypass Mexico.

Hi, come join our roll call!! We to were discussing the effects that a Mexico stop might have on our cruise to Alaska. Since the Infinity is arriving early in SF they will have plenty of time to disenfect her.

Dang! I wish I was on the Infinity right now.They had a beautiful Panama Canal transit today.I took pictures of the web cam on my computer for my family that is currently on it.They still have over a week to go.Thanks for the input.I thought the post about San Francisco instead of Huatulco was hilarious and yes I have been to Huatulco and San Francisco.

Hi Kathy, wish you were still able to join us on the trip. How's everything going??

Laurie

Thanks for asking.I wish we were going with you next week as we originally planned.We are actually going on BTB cruises to Alaska in September due to the great prices offered right now.Never expected that to happen!We are doing a northbound to Seward followed by a southbound out of Seward so will end up with two port days in each stop.At the time we canceled our original cruise I thought our cruising days were over.We have discovered we would rather eat beans than quit cruising.Have a great cruise.The weather in Alaska has been way better than the weather here this weekend.Enjoy your trip!

Archived