Insurance Question - Should we buy or not?

cruiserr

We're trying to figure out whether to buy additional insurance coverage for our 12 day baltic cruise in August. We have the option of buying medical/cancellation/trip interruption insurance for $430 (Canadian) for the two of us through our travel agent. Is it really necessary to purchase insurance beyond what our credit card company offers? Our credit card company offers us $1,000,000 medical coverage each, no cancellation insurance, and interruption insurance for medical reasons only.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If I were you, I would.

You will have to use the board search function or google (or see of someone else replies), but there are lots of outside trip insurance companies that you can also insure your trip through. Depending on your circumstances and needs, you may be able to save a lot of money on the insurance.

To be truthfull I never understood the big deal with the insurance thing untill I started reading CC faithfully and now I won't go without it. At one time ther was this same discussion on CC and that was enough to convince me and I'm the first one to say I don't need that. Well after almost

We're trying to figure out whether to buy additional insurance coverage for our 12 day baltic cruise in August. We have the option of buying medical/cancellation/trip interruption insurance for $430 (Canadian) for the two of us through our travel agent. Is it really necessary to purchase insurance beyond what our credit card company offers? Our credit card company offers us $1,000,000 medical coverage each, no cancellation insurance, and interruption insurance for medical reasons only.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Does your insurance offer evacuation coverage? It's pretty pricey if you have to be airlifted off the ship. :)

For the money I spent on insurance I could have bought another cruise:mad:

Really??? I'm spending over $2000 for an Alaskan cruise next week, yet I'm only spending around $100 for cruise insurance.

That isn't even the down payment for another cruise.:rolleyes:

We always get insurance and have used it three times for illness of elderly parents. But, $450 seems very high unless this is an exceptionally expensive cruise. Our insurance on our recent $2000 cruise was $180 for two, with clauses for pre-existing conditions and very good medical/evacuation coverage.

If you can afford to lose the price of the cruise if you cannot go or have to leave early, I think insuring the cruise itself can be optional. BUT it is very important to be sure you have good coverage for medical expenses and evacuation, as those amounts can be extremely high.

( In other words, for me, I could absorb $2000 for a missed or interrupted cruise (though I wouldn't like it), but not, say, $250,000 for medical procedures and evacuation.

HI Cruiserr,

We are paying a similar amount for a delux insurance package -- also from Canada -- that includes unlimited medical, evacuation, cancellation and I think just about anything else that should be included. Because we're spending 2 days prior and one day after -- the price jumped to cover us for the longer time -- under 14 days is a little cheaper I understand.

It's a lot of money -- but not having it could cost a lot more.

Judy

We are Canadian and we use RBC insurance which our TA recommends. We have taken insurance for our 11 cruises. We have had to use it 3 x now. Once when husband was layed off, when my mother was on her deathbed and had to return early and this Easter due to bad weather, we missed our connecting flight. We received back all our out of pocket expenses paid out.

We take out the deluxe plan. We have my husbands's company medical plan and for a few $ more, we are covered for everything, if one company won't pay, the other plan will.

We are going to on a 7 day cruise out of Southampton, England with pre and post stays in London for a total of 14 days. Our TA bases it on age, cost of cruise, flight (we have paid already) for $394 + Ontario tax = $425. Well worth the piece of mind.

You never know when you, or someone in the family will be ill, miss the plane, ship or loose your luggage.

I personally wouldn't travel without it,I am in the process of having to use it as we speak. The way I look at it is, it's one of the very few things I pay for that I am happy not to use it, but if I have to, I sure am glad I got it .

Dear Cruiserr,

I checked insuremytrip.com and realized you have a more limited selection so I could not comment on the usual coverage. I do suggest looking at a a less costly policy ALONG WITH with MedJet Assist which is available in Canada. (medjetassist.com) A med evacuation plan that will take you from an initial hospitalization to the facility OF YOUR CHOICE! Much different that the usual to a "nearby hospital." We have done the Baltic and it was a heady experience, however, under no circumstances would I like to have continued hospitalization that far from home. Medical care, concern and facilities vary considerably. Without ages I copuld not quote a price. It is higher for 75 and older.

We usually get the policy for one year since it covers if you are 150 miles from home. (in U.S.) but there are trip-time coverages as well.

My best advice: "Don't go on the trip if you don't get insurance." Life is short enough.

Blessings,

Gail

i can see if you ve never had the need for insurance to think that your

blessed..

there are those of us who have alway s bought insurance and suddenly had to use it..and would recommend it to others..

other s have read where other like myself had the fortune to have insurance and have started to include some kinda of travel insurance..

then there s other s who have had to learn the hard way..

remember too..each time you cruise without incident..the chance s of needing insurance rise s..you ve gotta wonder how many lucky pennies are left in the piggy bank..;)

Archived