Enough of the anger - what's the most awesome thing you've ever seen while at sea?

vacruizer

I've seen some really awesome sunrises and sunsets, but the coolest experience I had also involved birds. When we left Cozumel a few years back I was sitting out on the balcony and about a dozen white birds[doves maybe?] were flying along side the ship. The were all flying in unison and swooping close to the ship and back out again right near our balcony. I watched them follow us for hours [went to dinner and they were still there when we came back]. They were so graceful and beautiful to watch. As we were getting further and further from shore I began to worry about what would become of them. We were headed all the way back to Galveston. I watched them until I finally fell asleep late at night. I always wondered what became of them, whether they flew back to Mexico, landed on the ship for a rest, or made the trip back to the US. They weren't there in the morning when I got up.

The most awesome thing I have ever seen at sea was my son, my daughter, and my future husband standing at the front of the Viking Crown lounge on Grandeur of the Seas as I walked up the aisle to marry the man of my dreams.

My very first cruise (I guess it's like your first boyfriend!:rolleyes:), pulling into our first port which was Montego Bay. I got up and went out to see where we were and OMG :D I realized that all those pictures I had seen of the Caribbean were not enhanced!!!! I could not believe how incredibly beautiful the sight before me was.....

My greatest was on the RCL Seranade of the Seas on the Panama Canal cruise from San Juan to San Francisco. It was sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge at sunrise!!! Not many people get to sail under it and I did. It was awesome.

Leaving Dubrovnick Croatia at Sunset and then the next day arriving in Venice. These have been two of my most memorable times on board. I have pics of both I will see if I can locate and add.

Ours occured during our Legend cruise late Sept./early Oct. last year. I call it a magical cruise because there were so many things that happened during it that we'd never seen on our other cruises.

Birds & Dragonflies:

One evening hubby and I went for a stroll on deck after eating at the supper club. It had rained so the deck was wet. There were dragonflys and birds in the air and on the deck.

Another night there were even more birds flying above the ship. It looked like thousands of them. There were several different kinds. For some strange reason, the movie Jurassic Park and The Birds came to my mind, lol!

Some birds died, probably from knocking themselves out flying into things, a few flew into the inside Lido Buffet area. Lots of birds taking baths and getting drinks of water from the rain puddles on deck.

A lady we hung out with one night at the bar had a bird sit on her shoulder. The bird stayed right there while she went to the ladies room and came back to the bar.

Rainbow:

We've seen many rainbows while at sea, but never one where the end seemed to be a few feet from us :cool:, though I'm sure it was really farther away.

Storms:

This was the first cruise that we saw multiple storms at the same time.

On my Hawaii cruise one of the awesome sites was the Na Pali coast on Kauai and the volcano erupting at night. We also saw a double rainbow that went between 2 small islands of Maui. It was breath taking.

if you stay up late enough on the last night of the southern cruise, the ship passes st thomas on the way back to san juan from a mile out or so, i'm guessing. takes probably an hour to pass. all those lights against the black sea and black sky. a beautiful thing too see.

while not exactly from a cruise ship, the most awesome thing i've ever seen on a cruise is the volcano on montserrat. took a helicopter flyover from antigua. the most amazing and at the same time, one of the saddest things i've ever seen in my life. and i'm an old man :D.

Guest JJWW

I would have to say a lightning storm at sea.

While on Miss Glory visiting Playa del Carmen .

It was beautiful ,:rolleyes:.

The captain did well to avoid the storm.

Well, mine isn't nearly as exciting or unusual as most of these, but I'll share it anyway. A few weeks ago, I was on the Conquest with my friend. We went out onto the open deck 3, because we had found this to be a nice, quite place to relax. We were chatting with each other, when I happened to look out at the sea just in time to see two young dolphins doing a double leap near the ship. They were about half grown and were jumping in unison like the trained dolphins do. They did it 2 or 3 more times as we passed them. This was when we were somewhere between Grand Cayman and Cozumel, and I have never seen dolphins in that area before. (Not to say that it's rare to see them there, just that I have never seen them there in 4 Conquest cruises.) It was very cool to see them, and we felt lucky to catch sight of such a treat for our eyes. :)

Bless you for starting this thread!

Our magic moments in life have also been looking out at the sunrises and sunsets from balcony's. We got to see what we thought were little humming birds playing just off the front of the ship. We soon learned they were flying fish! They would jump out of the water and fly next to our ship then hit a wave and you could see them swim in the water. MAGICAL!

But the sound of the waves at night with our door being open just holds dear to my heart.

I think everyone should experience a cruise and all the wonders of things. You just never know what you will see or do on each one.

(A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work)

Loved reading your post and as a first time cruiser coming up in August, you make me wish that I book a balcony stateroom rather than just the O/V.

I'm always on the lookout for dolphins or whales but I have never seen any. I love just watching the color of the water change... the different shades of blue (especially in the Caribbean) are breathtaking! Much better than the murky waters of Lake Michigan!!!

P1000648.jpg.d83b0f22cb615b5db8aadbc11d6f8247.jpg

We've also seen some pretty cool sunsets

P1000512.jpg.05875124b2a105132eb158942d2ec4a5.jpg

P1010118.jpg.8c010d8e47b6cc3f02a949d6f77ad075.jpg

This thread is great! It's making me really excited for my cruise. Props to the OP! :D

I think one of my favorite times was sailing to Alaska from San Francisco with one of my daughters. Going under the Golden Gate Bridge. I always wanted to sail under her and it was beautiful. Another one was our transit through the Panama with one of my grandsons. It rained some but we really enjoyed it and going under the Bridge of the Americas.

Delores

What's the most awesome thing you've seen while at sea and where and what ship were you on?

This past week onboard Splendor on our way to Cabo we saw Whales and Dolphins heading north around the noon time frame.

Fred

Once, when we were ported in St Thomas, we saw a rainbow that was so close, it looked like you could reach out and touch it. We also have seen a water spout on the open water. Stars, sunrises, sunsets.....a lot of beauty in nature if we just stop long enough to appreciate them.

Archived