Enough of the anger - what's the most awesome thing you've ever seen while at sea?

vacruizer

We've all had about enough of the anger and whining about missed ports - how about a positive thread for a change? What's the most awesome thing you've seen while at sea and where and what ship were you on? One of those moments that just makes you thankful to be alive, healthy, and able to take a wonderful vacation with your family?

I was thinking this morning about one of mine - on the Liberty in 2007, late at night, headed from Costa Rica to Panama we stepped out on the balcony only to see what looked like thousands of shooting stars only they were beside us and not overheard. Looking closer, we realized that it was a flock of thousands of small yellow birds and the ship's lights were reflecting off of them. They were darting around and diving and it really looked like a meteor shower. It was the end of October and probably some sort of migration - never could get a close enough look to figure out what kind of bird they were. But it's one of those moments forever set in my memory. The beauty of nature, the sea, and the love of my life to share it with. :D

So what's yours?

Last April 30th leaving San Diego on the MS Veendam, just after we passed the kelpbeds and turned towards the west, 100-200 or more baby dolphins appeared from the east and spashed their way to the wake of the ship. It was amazing!

David

First cruise, first night, we went onto the balcony just before going to bed. There was a full moon, its reflection glistening on the glassy sea, and the lights of another cruise ship in the distance. We thought it was a magical sight, but I think the flock of small yellow birds would have even more so!! :cool:

We've all had about enough of the anger and whining about missed ports - how about a positive thread for a change? What's the most awesome thing you've seen while at sea and where and what ship were you on? One of those moments that just makes you thankful to be alive, healthy, and able to take a wonderful vacation with your family?

I was thinking this morning about one of mine - on the Liberty in 2007, late at night, headed from Costa Rica to Panama we stepped out on the balcony only to see what looked like thousands of shooting stars only they were beside us and not overheard. Looking closer, we realized that it was a flock of thousands of small yellow birds and the ship's lights were reflecting off of them. They were darting around and diving and it really looked like a meteor shower. It was the end of October and probably some sort of migration - never could get a close enough look to figure out what kind of bird they were. But it's one of those moments forever set in my memory. The beauty of nature, the sea, and the love of my life to share it with. :D

So what's yours?

I totally agree with you!

I have so many things...dolphins, whales, sea turbles, sharks,sunsets, sunrises, full moons, not full moons with so many stars! On our last cruise the last day we saw a beautfiul rainbow.

Also coming into ports, leaving ports, staring at the open ocean. All these things are set in my memory forever!!!

Bless you for starting this thread!

Our magic moments in life have also been looking out at the sunrises and sunsets from balcony's. We got to see what we thought were little humming birds playing just off the front of the ship. We soon learned they were flying fish! They would jump out of the water and fly next to our ship then hit a wave and you could see them swim in the water. MAGICAL!

But the sound of the waves at night with our door being open just holds dear to my heart.

I think everyone should experience a cruise and all the wonders of things. You just never know what you will see or do on each one.

(A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work)

recently on our Sapphire Princess cruise to Mex we saw sooo many whales. We got up for an early excursion in Cabo and as we sailed the last mile or so in there were some right next to the ship. They followed us very close to land and the view of them from the Promenade was incredible

On my first cruise on the Conquest we went out on the front of the ship at night. On both the port and starboard sides there were storms with lighting. Both were on the horizon and we could see the sky light up. But directly above us we could see thousands of stars. Glad I was able to share this moment with my daughters. I never thought about being able to see something like that.

So what's yours?

That would be an awesome sight! They were probably finches. They are known to fly long distances over open water. One flew into the adult-only area on valor when we were in the middle of the Caribbean. It landed on a chair for a few minutes and then flew off again.

I have limited experience with only one cruise, but i thnk the sun dog that we saw on the first sea day on Valor was pretty amazing.

Carnival%20Valor%2004192009%20058.jpg

Years ago we were on a cruise in Hawaii, and as we were sailing near the Big Island, we could see red hot lava flowing down the side of the island into the ocean. It was unbelievable.

Mine was not on a cruise ship, but a USNS ship. We were steaming down the Mexican coast headed for the canal out of San Diego. I was up on the bridge and off in the distance off the starbord side a dolphin pod of what seemed like hundreds of dolphins was headed towards the ship. As the ship could only make about 10 knots, the dolphins quickly caught the ship. We were surrounded by dolphins, they were everywhere. Some even leaped way out of the water like at a show at Sea World to look at us. Their leaping ability was impressive. After a while they continued on their way.

Not the most awesome pic in the world, it was more vivid in person as I remember. This was taken in Feb. of 2008 as we were slipping into St. Lucia, it's the 1st rainbow I had ever seen at sea. The 2nd pic is us parasailing in St. Thomas, it's 1 of those pics where you can just tell we were having fun. The 3rd pic is of the royal swim with the dolphins in Cozumel. I have lots of other favorites, but these were awesome times for me, the rest are of sunrises.

Pic 1- St. Lucia, Feb. 2008

2886062870093461973S500x500Q85.jpg

Pic 2- St. Thomas, June, 2007

2834301260093461973S500x500Q85.jpg

Pic 3- Cozumel, June, 2008

2602272660093461973S425x425Q85.jpg

You'll notice I did the last 1 a little smaller. I'm not big on scaring folks half to death with big pics of me after my bathing suit has ridden up:o But I had a blast! :D

We also saw a very large flock probably thousands of birds one night in late October when we were on the glory. It was an awesome site. Also the sunrise at sea is a beautiful site. We also saw a water spout in Coz when we were there

The most incredible sight we've seen at sea would have to be when we were on our 3rd cruise, going to Mexico (Western Caribbean) and we were coming up to Costa Maya, just having a rain shower quickly pass. The most beautiful rainbow appeared over the water. Let me see if I can find it.....

We saw tons of whales when we went to alaska..right from the ship...not even on a tour....

and, while not part of nature...and i wouldn't want to BE the person involved, but seeing the coast guard chopper and plane flying in to airlift a sick person off the ship was cool....they REALLY know what they're doing...! So...hug a coast guard person....(or a member of the military, or a first responder, cop, firefighter, EMT etc etc.....):D [bTW the person was OK....bad appendix stuff]

Probably the coolest thing we have seen was a submarine in the ocean. We were on the Imagination on our way to Calica. It was at a stand still in the middle of the ocean with a couple of crew members standing out on it. The cruise ship passed relatively close to it and we got some great video on our camcorder of it. We had our 5 year old son with us and he still talks about how cool that was to see!

ALso, sunsets, sunrises, and full moons are breathtaking over the ocean.

Two things, On the Voyager being buzzed at the pool right over our heads by some kind of fighter jet and on the Explorer watching the crew rescue 3 men who had gotten lost at sea in a small boat and had no power and were drifting in the middle of no where off the southern coast of the US.

Wow...it hard to just list one.

Last September on a 21 day cruise we seen a full rainbow....I had to take two pictures to get both ends, it was so big! We also seen a hammer head shark from our balcony, some dolphins, and sea turtles.

We have been to Alaska three time, seen a few whales and it was pretty awesome to still have full light at 10:00 pm.

Archived