The Prepaid Gratuities Removed List

Wennfred

I take offense to this. We have NEVER stiffed any server anywhere. Even with the WORST sevice in a restaurant, we tipped, just not much. And then we even seeked out the manager to let them know WHY we tipped poorly. The manager even stated they wouldn't have tipped with such poor service.

We like to tip in cash for a number of reasons. First and foremost, the employee gets cash immediately not wait for payroll to process it. Second, I like having that much less 'debt' to worry about when I go home. Same as when I make donations at work for United and such, I make out a check instead of payroll deductions. Lastly, I like to give cash, not a slip of paper which feels cold and impersonal.

SO, for those that think 99.99% of people that don't auto tip stiff the employees, please rethink that. I know I am not all by myself in a .01% of the world.

Erika

An actual number reported by a cruise line officer is 92% of those who remove the auto-tip, tip NOTHING! For the 8% that get mispainted by that broad brush, its too bad. But times change, cash in envelope, was a system with mediocre results. Today's system is auto-tipping, time to get with today's not-so-new system.

Employee gets cash immediately?

What does he do with the cash? Most send a large % of their income home, in cash? Not a good idea, so he has to convert the cash anyway. Through the ship or on land, and he must carry the cash until he converts it since he has no safe place to keep it. Auto-tips go into his on board account and can be wired home from there. Plus none of it goes into a pool.

In a later post by you, there was a reference to tip pooling. Carnival gives $3.50 a day to YOUR room steward and $5.50 a day to YOUR wait team. And $1.00 is pooled for the buffet staff.

Princess, OWNED by Carnival, does it different. They pool the whole $10. to be divided among the dining room and housekeeping groups, and I think the heads of those groups get a taste too.

MSC for another example, uses $12.00pppd auto-tip. This is pooled for ALL hospitality workers on the ship including the bar workers. No tip added to bar bills.

So how best to tip? You have to know the tip environment on the cruiseline in question.

Nice post lol

Now everyone knows that they need to wait until after dinner on the last night to remove the tips and catch one of those last minute sales instead.

I am a prepaid tipper!

But why does so many get bent out of shape when someone suggest they aren't going to tip when it really isn't a dime out of their pockets?

Then it is ok to stiff the cruiseline with smuggled alcohol?

If the cruiselines were all that concerned they would increase the total price of the cruise and pay their employees a salary and let those who would like to tip beyond that do it.

Nice post lol

Now everyone knows that they need to wait until after dinner on the last night to remove the tips and catch one of those last minute sales instead.

I am a prepaid tipper!

But why does so many get bent out of shape when someone suggest they aren't going to tip when it really isn't a dime out of their pockets?

If the cruiselines were all that concerned they would increase the total price of the cruise and pay their employees a salary and let those who would like to tip beyond that do it.

Removing tips takes money out of the staffs pockets......smuggled alcohol removes it from the Corporations pocket. big difference.

I am a prepaid tipper!

I can assume that we get "bent out of shape" because it does affect us. You say that instead of tipping, let's just raise the cost of the cruise. :eek: That would affect us.

And I don't smuggle alcohol either. ;)

There are cruise lines that do that, but they are quite expensive.

Posting names on a more public Wall of Shame works for me. :)

Removing tips takes money out of the staffs pockets......smuggled alcohol removes it from the Corporations pocket. big difference.

Ok I get it stiff the rich but not the poor.

Last I read Carnival is not having any issues finding employees.

There are cruise lines that do that, but they are quite expensive.

Posting names on a more public Wall of Shame works for me. :)

And wouldn't that be the same expense that you and I are paying now?

I can assume that we get "bent out of shape" because it does affect us. You say that instead of tipping, let's just raise the cost of the cruise. :eek: That would affect us.

And I don't smuggle alcohol either. ;)

That is my point .... folks get all bent out of shape when someone suggest they are not tipping but let a thread pop up on how to smuggle the party hats are pulled out. I know you stated that you don't smuggle but the truth of the matter is those that do smuggle does affect us through higher cruise prices.

Guest TropicOne

Why do people call them prepaid when you are not charged until the end of the cruise :confused:

Why do people call them prepaid when you are not charged until the end of the cruise :confused:

There are prepaid tips which you pay when you pay your balance 60 days BEFORE your cruise.

Then there are auto tips, which are charged to your sail and sign account, which are then due at the end of the cruise, or later if you are paying by credit card.

Nice post lol

I am a prepaid tipper!

If you smuggle alcohol on the ship you are taking the 15% TIP away from EVERY drink you would have ordered! NO difference!

[/size]

If you smuggle alcohol on the ship you are taking the 15% TIP away from EVERY drink you would have ordered! NO difference!

Unless they start serving drinks in my cabin, that would never happen. These are drinks we normally would not even have if the stuff wasn't there.

[/size]

Does the crew get a tip from bottles sold through the bon voyage department and delivered to your room on the first day? Do they get a tip for the corkage fee we are charged for the bottle of wine we are allowed to bring on?

I see your point about the tip for the drinks though, but many people do not drink on a cruise. Purchases made during a cruise are not counted on as much as part of the weekly salary as the auto tips are.

And wouldn't that be the same expense that you and I are paying now?

If you want the cruise line to do it for you, they will make a profit off of it and you will pay much more, At least double.

Price Silversea or SeaDream against Carnival and see what you get.

Seems to me that this might explain why some people have EXCELLENT service and some have ROTTEN service that sail on the very same cruise. I know if i was your waiter and knew you removed your tips i would certainly spend my time taking care of my paying guests.

I always leave the tips on and look at it like part of the fare. If they deserve more i will and did tip more.

Now Max if you have read any of my posts on tipping you know I'm fairly liberal tipper, I NEVER remove my tips, even when I have bad service. Which I've been ridiculed for by the "anti tippers"

I look at the onboard tips as a minimal tip, like you'd leave for any kind of service and tip over that when I get good or excellent service.

We had a HORRIBLE wait staff experience on Spirit in Feb. Our waiter was Norris and he was totally uninterested in his job, slow, sarcastic.

So your theory is not correct about all those that have rotten service, and yes Norris got his minimal tips although we could only stand him 3 out of our 8 nights and did the specialty and lido the rest of the time.

Carole

Now Max if you have read any of my posts on tipping you know I'm fairly liberal tipper, I NEVER remove my tips, even when I have bad service. Which I've been ridiculed for by the "anti tippers"

I look at the onboard tips as a minimal tip, like you'd leave for any kind of service and tip over that when I get good or excellent service.

We had a HORRIBLE wait staff experience on Spirit in Feb. Our waiter was Norris and he was totally uninterested in his job, slow, sarcastic.

So your theory is not correct about all those that have rotten service, and yes Norris got his minimal tips although we could only stand him 3 out of our 8 nights and did the specialty and lido the rest of the time.

Carole

Why would you not reduce tips for bad service? By leaving full tip you told him crappy service was OK for you!

Why care if someone doesn't tip? Now we KNOW about the list. My server reads the list JUST THEN posted. Many of his tables ARE on the list, even tho I'm not. You think that doesn't affect HIM, which affects ME! He is human, not a robot.

Other side of the coin. In the bars I always add a cash dollar with every drink. Plus if the waiter and/or bartender is really good I'll give them $5. or $10. for nothing. Think I don't get BETTER service AND drinks?

Why care if someone doesn't tip? Now we KNOW about the list. My server reads the list JUST THEN posted. Many of his tables ARE on the list, even tho I'm not. You think that doesn't affect HIM, which affects ME! He is human, not a robot.

Other side of the coin. In the bars I always add a cash dollar with every drink. Plus if the waiter and/or bartender is really good I'll give them $5. or $10. for nothing. Think I don't get BETTER service AND drinks?

Exactly!!!

Exactly...who doesn't tip big on their first drink at a bar to make sure the bartender remembers them and you get better service in a crowded bar?

And then tip again when I leave for the wonderful service I recieved all night.:p

OMG...does that mean I tipped before a service is fully rendered? :eek:

I have never removed the auto tips from my bill, BUT There is NO REASON to do it at the start of the cruise.

If you insist on removing the auto tip, you can do it on the last evening at the pursers desk no problem. That way at least you are deciding AFTER getting the service, with the added benefit of not being on any list....

However, I suspect that if you get great service, and I always have....then you will be willing to keep it on.

Archived