The Prepaid Gratuities Removed List

Wennfred

On our first cruise...when we took care of the bill at the Purser desk on the last day..I requested to take the tip off and so they don't charge on the credit card, since we have so much cash left with us.

I did tip the $ 10 a day requirement.

We are going on our cruise in August and after reading many posts regarding tipping, I will never remove it again. Let it charge to the credit card then.

Don't want anyone to spit in my foods and all.

I don't think it is fair for those that think, just because they remove the tip, doesn't mean they don't tip at all.

I don't think it is fair for those that think, just because they remove the tip, doesn't mean they don't tip at all.

Right. I've seen posters claim that 99% of cruisers who remove tips are cheap and probably don't tip at all. Where do they get that stat from? :rolleyes:

The people cooking your food, know you've removed everyones tips. That could be bad :eek:

I know everyone has their fabulous excuses for taking them off and they all swear they pay them in the end but I'm betting most are just cheap and stiff them.

I agree 100%. There is NO reason, ever, to remove the basic minimum gratuities. Those who do are simply looking for ways to stiff those hard working folks. No matter what excuses they use, it's an attempt to not tip at all.

That's one reason autotips were added in the first place. Too many deadbeats simply walked off the ship without recognizing anyone for their service.

Personally, I think this extra fee should be mandatory...even added in to the price of the cruise. In any case, there should be no way to remove or reduce them. If people can't afford to tip...they shouldn't cruise...or eat out in restaurants, stay in hotels, use baggage porters, taxi's, transportation services or any other service where it is customary to tip.

Right. I've seen posters claim that 99% of cruisers who remove tips are cheap and probably don't tip at all. Where do they get that stat from? :rolleyes:

It's 92%. It was conducted by the cruiseline themselves.

The people cooking your food, know you've removed everyones tips. That could be bad :eek:

I know everyone has their fabulous excuses for taking them off and they all swear they pay them in the end but I'm betting most are just cheap and stiff them.quote]

Sorry, but I take offense to this.... I am one that removes the auto tips based on my personal opinion of what a gratuity is. Rest assured that In the end, everyone I tip get what they deserve based on their overall performance (and in most cases this is ABOVE the norm). And yes, I have tipped down when necessary and not afraid to admit to that, but I have never "stiffed" a staff member on any of the 50 + cruises I have sailed on.

So I have my flame retardent suit on for those who wish to attack me on this !

Sorry right back atcha. There is no reason or excuse to remove tips...none.

It's simply an excuse to not tip at the recommended amount...or at all. Not buying the story at all.

I agree 100%. There is NO reason' date=' ever, to remove the basic minimum gratuities. Those who do are simply looking for ways to stiff those hard working folks. No matter what excuses they use, it's an attempt to not tip at all.

[/quote']

Here we go again. :rolleyes: Some people tip in CASH!! Stop being so judgmental.

On our first cruise...when we took care of the bill at the Purser desk on the last day..I requested to take the tip off and so they don't charge on the credit card, since we have so much cash left with us.

I did tip the $ 10 a day requirement.

We are going on our cruise in August and after reading many posts regarding tipping, I will never remove it again. Let it charge to the credit card then.

Don't want anyone to spit in my foods and all.

You can always make a cash deposit to your S&S account, so the final balance charged to your credit card will be less. I've done that a few times, like when I've paid for something and someone else reimburses me in cash.

Madelene

I am another of those who prefer to tip After services are rendered. Just like in any resturant or coffee house, I would never tip ahead.

If I experience poor service from my cabin steward, or dining room waiter, etc, I would first express my concerns to him/her. If there is no change in service then that will affect how I tip at the end of my cruise.

Oliver

Take it from many seasoned and veteran cruisers on here, myself included, there is no reason on modern cruise ships to NOT tip those who wait on you all week. On over 250 cruises and over 35 years of cruising, I've never, ever reduced the minimum suggested amount for gratuities. On most of these cruises, I've tipped extra....with cash....

I've decided that from now on I'm going to prepay my gratuities when I make final payment. I'd never consider reducing my tips anyway, so I might as well just pay for it upfront and not have to worry about paying it after my cruise is over. I always leave extra in cash anyway. If by some odd chance, my service is lacking enough to really and truly warrant a reduction in tips, I'll just request from the purser or maitre'd to please assign a new steward or wait staff to me and give them the reasons why.

Here we go again. :rolleyes: Some people tip in CASH!! Stop being so judgmental.

Most who remove tips from their account don't tip at all...or greatly reduce them. I didn't make this up.......

I can certainly speak from experience. I was a cruise host/tour director for many years and have seen those deadbeats who leave the ship without tipping. I've seen the ruses, heard the excuses and the whining from cruisers who come up with every excuse.......not to tip.

"Tipping in cash" is the biggest reason people use for removing autotips..which is ridiculous. You can bet the person who receives a gratuity doesn't give a hang one way or the other.

I am another of those who prefer to tip After services are rendered. Just like in any resturant or coffee house, I would never tip ahead.

If I experience poor service from my cabin steward, or dining room waiter, etc, I would first express my concerns to him/her. If there is no change in service then that will affect how I tip at the end of my cruise.

Oliver

While I agree with you, there is no way that I could personally distribute tips to all the people that the pre paid tips get spread out too.

I don't carry cash up on deck, so I don't have a buck or two for the guy who hustled over and cleaned the table off in the buffet area so I can set my tray down and enjoy lunch, or the woman with the drink cart that refill your lemonade or water at your table.

so many people contribute to your cruise that this (while not what I would usually do) seems to ba a fair way to distribute the tips and also make things easier on me by not making me carry cash on board.

:D

I truly wonder if those who remove the gratuities and claim to tip 100% in cash understand that, in doing so, the intended recipients end up with less than if they simply left the auto-tips in place and tipped extra in cash? :confused:

As explained many times on these boards and elsewhere, *if* a passenger removes the auto-tips and gives cash, the staff person is required to turn in those payments and they are pooled. *If* a passenger leaves the auto-tips in place and gives the staff extra in cash, they are allowed to keep 100% of the extra for themselves.

Or is it really that the passengers who do this, don't really care who ends up with the money, they just get a thrill out of lording over the hired help with the little white envelopes?

Uh huh, thought so. :rolleyes:

I truly wonder if those who remove the gratuities and claim to tip 100% in cash understand that, in doing so, the intended recipients end up with less than if they simply left the auto-tips in place and tipped extra in cash? :confused:

As explained many times on these boards and elsewhere, *if* a passenger removes the auto-tips and gives cash, the staff person is required to turn in those payments and they are pooled. *If* a passenger leaves the auto-tips in place and gives the staff extra in cash, they are allowed to keep 100% of the extra for themselves.

Well, I was unaware that a staff person was required to turn in the little white enevelope that I give them. ---- I'm not doubting what you say, just that I was not aware. I generally only read these boards prior to an upcoming cruise, so I obviously have missed the tipping posts.

Oliver

How many of you actually tip your hair dresser, your nail person, your massage person, waiter or waitress before they performed their service. I certainly dont. Ive never removed the tips on a Carnival cruise and when I cruised RC they didnt add them to your account, they gave you envelopes. I actually had a really bad steward one cruise (didnt clean the room for 2 days, left no clean towels, had to call for them and got yelled at for waking him up...etc..) and I left his tip and was crucified by people on these boards for leaving a tip. All 3 of my kids are waiters/waitresses and would never expect a tip before they did their job.

Nice, thanks for the info...:D

I don't remove tips, I give more at the end of the cruise based on service.

Us too. Just part of the Cruise and I feel more special to give the extra where warranted.

I know everyone has their fabulous excuses for taking them off and they all swear they pay them in the end but I'm betting most are just cheap and stiff them.

We've cruised with a couple who say this is what they do every time becasue they "always want to tip more". I don't agree with the remove the tips upfront concept, and told them they can always adjust them up or down at the end, or give cash along the way or whatever. I really wonder (doubt?) if they ever did tip in the end, especially when they hardly had enough money for a cab ride at one of the ports or for anything else. And the service staff way deserved those tips they way these folks had them running around "serving" them. Embarassing. :o

Or is it really that the passengers who do this, don't really care who ends up with the money, they just get a thrill out of lording over the hired help with the little white envelopes?

Uh huh, thought so. :rolleyes:

Actually there was a paper inserted into the first day's caper (or it might have been the second day) that explained the pre paid gratuities charge and broke it down as to what percentage of it went where.:cool:

Archived