The Prepaid Gratuities Removed List

Wennfred

Where did this misconception on what tipping is get started.

Those people have a job. That job is to take care of the passengers. I really imagine they are expected to do the best job they are capable of just like I am at my job.

In my job, I am paid a certain wage. I agreed to that.

In their job, they are paid a certain wage plus room and board, They agreed to that.

If they have provided very good service and you want to reward them with extra cash, that is good, but you are NOT paying them to do their job, and you are NOT obligated to give them a single dime.

This is why you tip AFTER good service has been provided if you so wish, not before you see if they provide you good service.

A tip should never be expected for them to do the job they were hired for, are paid for doing, and they agreed to do. A tip should be appreciated if one is given no matter what that amount may be.

What part of it is their job and you are not paying them to do their job but rewarding for a job well done, do you not understand?

So you are basically saying, you would not do the job your were hired for unless you knew they were going to reward you for doing your job before you even did it? I would fire you on the spot.

On a cruise ship, do you tip after each service is provided? NO.

Tipping is part of their compensation; they depend on, and expect it. It has been like that for decades.

Now if you wanted to make that argument about obscene corporate bonuses being paid for abysmal performance, I might agree with your point of view.

The cheap people who hide behind "It's not my problem" ARE the problem.

I couldn’t agree more with the comments of skylock/Judy and travelntreats. I don’t tip the gas station attendant, the bus driver, the security guard at my office building, the housekeeping staff at the hotel, etc. Why is there an expectation that I will tip some (but only a few) of the cruise ship staff who provide service? And how did I become a … what was it, … oh, yeah, “deadbeat” for paying $4,000 for a cruise if I don’t also pay a tip? It’s unbelievable that there’s a group of customers who buy into this idea that I’m cheap because I’ll drop four grand and actually expect to get what I paid for for the agreed-upon fare.

In reality, compulsory tipping is just Carnival’s way of saying that your cabin costs $850 per person when it is really $920. It is no more complicated than that. Honestly, I’d rather they just pay their staff a fair wage and charge me a correspondingly fair price for my room, instead of going through this tipping charade.

Is there really a list floating around of who has removed the prepaid tips? I don’t know. If so, then I guess the solution is to remove the prepaid tips at the end of the cruise. I wouldn’t be surprised if they posted the list knowing it would become public information. Think about it. Now that the passengers know they’ll be on the blacklist, how many who might have removed or reduced the prepaid tips will think twice? Some, but not all, will wait until the end of the cruise to remove them. The remainder will leave the prepaid tip on their account. That amount is a net gain to the employees. This may be Carnival’s way of bumping their salaries without having to pay them an extra dime. Times are tough, even the big cruise lines need to find ways to save money!

And personally, I would love the opportunity to pay a cheaper rate so I’m just paying for my room and not having to pay for the “being waited on hand and foot” service that makes me cringe with discomfort. Maybe I’ll start another thread on “variable rate cruises based on service level”. Of course, I have a rule that says never tick off a food service employee until after your meal has been delivered, so I’m not sure how that would work.

And before anyone starts flaming, we actually left all $280 of the prepaid tip on the account on our March cruise, even though I am personally opposed to the entire premise. Pay your staff fairly, charge a fair room rate, eliminate the tipping charade.

I couldn’t agree more with the comments of skylock/Judy and travelntreats. I don’t tip the gas station attendant, the bus driver, the security guard at my office building, the housekeeping staff at the hotel, etc. Why is there an expectation that I will tip some (but only a few) of the cruise ship staff who provide service? And how did I become a … what was it, … oh, yeah, “deadbeat” for paying $4,000 for a cruise if I don’t also pay a tip? It’s unbelievable that there’s a group of customers who buy into this idea that I’m cheap because I’ll drop four grand and actually expect to get what I paid for for the agreed-upon fare.

In reality, compulsory tipping is just Carnival’s way of saying that your cabin costs $850 per person when it is really $920. It is no more complicated than that. Honestly, I’d rather they just pay their staff a fair wage and charge me a correspondingly fair price for my room, instead of going through this tipping charade.

Is there really a list floating around of who has removed the prepaid tips? I don’t know. If so, then I guess the solution is to remove the prepaid tips at the end of the cruise. I wouldn’t be surprised if they posted the list knowing it would become public information. Think about it. Now that the passengers know they’ll be on the blacklist, how many who might have removed or reduced the prepaid tips will think twice? Some, but not all, will wait until the end of the cruise to remove them. The remainder will leave the prepaid tip on their account. That amount is a net gain to the employees. This may be Carnival’s way of bumping their salaries without having to pay them an extra dime. Times are tough, even the big cruise lines need to find ways to save money!

And personally, I would love the opportunity to pay a cheaper rate so I’m just paying for my room and not having to pay for the “being waited on hand and foot” service that makes me cringe with discomfort. Maybe I’ll start another thread on “variable rate cruises based on service level”. Of course, I have a rule that says never tick off a food service employee until after your meal has been delivered, so I’m not sure how that would work.

And before anyone starts flaming, we actually left all $280 of the prepaid tip on the account on our March cruise, even though I am personally opposed to the entire premise. Pay your staff fairly, charge a fair room rate, eliminate the tipping charade.

You should tip housekeeping at a hotel. Are you also too cheap to tip for valet parking?

Carnival's tips are NOT mandatory. Why do you say they are?

Post number 1? Hmmmmm.

Oh my gosh. I should tip housekeeping? Do you have a list? What about the server at McDonald's? The bank teller? The city worker who dug up a 4X3 strip on my front lawn because of some sort of drainage thing?

I'm trying to think if I've ever paid someone to park my car for me. Hmmm, sounds pretty lazy. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

I know the cruise line industry absolutely LOVES the defenders of the tip!

Oh my gosh. I should tip housekeeping? Do you have a list? What about the server at McDonald's? The bank teller? The city worker who dug up a 4X3 strip on my front lawn because of some sort of drainage thing?

I'm trying to think if I've ever paid someone to park my car for me. Hmmm, sounds pretty lazy. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

I know the cruise line industry absolutely LOVES the defenders of the tip!

Yes, you should tip housekeeping. More so if it is anything other than a 1 night stand.

No need to tip a server at McDonald's unless they are a relative. Nor the bank teller. Nor an alleged city worker who was probably some irate housekeeper you stiffed.

Do you also not tip in a restaurant?

How many people tip their doctors? Probably not too many. If you needed surgery to save your life, would you go for the cheapest doctor you could find or would you want the best?

Too many cheap people expect the best, but are unwillingly to pay for it.

Post number 2 for you. Very good.

I have the greatest respect for the OP, but I do think he used poor judgment to post that letter here.

I am glad he did. Now we know it exists, as suspected. How else would they keep track. People concerned how it makes THEM feel to pay cash tips (if they are even doing that) should now realize it's more of a problem doing that than not.

I too will be writing a letter to Carnival and complaining that this list was left in a place that was visible to other cruisers during a tour.

Write all you like. Regardless of where this list now is displayed, we now know it exists.

Just a reminder to all that think they can get away with out tipping...

I have a friend that worked for Princess cruises. I know for a 100% fact that everyone knows who does not tip. Remember that......There is alot of talking going on in those lower floors where the staff lives.....

eliminate the tipping charade.

You're taking on more than the cruise industry if you wish to accomplish this.

Restaurants, resorts, etc.

Don't see that happening anytime soon.

I agree 100%. There is NO reason' date=' ever, to remove the basic minimum gratuities. Those who do are simply looking for ways to stiff those hard working folks. No matter what excuses they use, it's an attempt to not tip at all.

That's one reason autotips were added in the first place. Too many deadbeats simply walked off the ship without recognizing anyone for their service.

Personally, I think this extra fee should be mandatory...even added in to the price of the cruise. In any case, there should be no way to remove or reduce them. If people can't afford to tip...they shouldn't cruise...or eat out in restaurants, stay in hotels, use baggage porters, taxi's, transportation services or any other service where it is customary to tip.[/quote']

I take offense to this. We have NEVER stiffed any server anywhere. Even with the WORST sevice in a restaurant, we tipped, just not much. And then we even seeked out the manager to let them know WHY we tipped poorly. The manager even stated they wouldn't have tipped with such poor service.

We like to tip in cash for a number of reasons. First and foremost, the employee gets cash immediately not wait for payroll to process it. Second, I like having that much less 'debt' to worry about when I go home. Same as when I make donations at work for United and such, I make out a check instead of payroll deductions. Lastly, I like to give cash, not a slip of paper which feels cold and impersonal.

SO, for those that think 99.99% of people that don't auto tip stiff the employees, please rethink that. I know I am not all by myself in a .01% of the world.

Erika

As explained many times on these boards and elsewhere, *if* a passenger removes the auto-tips and gives cash, the staff person is required to turn in those payments and they are pooled. *If* a passenger leaves the auto-tips in place and gives the staff extra in cash, they are allowed to keep 100% of the extra for themselves.

Or is it really that the passengers who do this, don't really care who ends up with the money, they just get a thrill out of lording over the hired help with the little white envelopes?

Uh huh, thought so. :rolleyes:

I completely care who gets the tips I give. I have never heard until your post that tips are pooled. That seems totally inappropriate. I know on our first cruise our room steward was not that super. But our wait staff was A+++. And on our second cruise it was reversed. I over tipped those that I felt descerved it and did the suggested for the rest. I think that is the fair way of doing things.

Erika

I already admitted to being on the list and I did tip my wait staff for the days we sailed. What I am mad about is, this information shouldn't be posted where a passenger can take a picture of it and post it on Cruise Critic!:mad:

Why be mad? You gained info on Carnival today. Good pic Fred

People at cc selectively decide what rules to follow and protocols, because as many of you like to say, "it's your vacation." Now if it was anybody else other than the OP, I would hazard to say many would be up in arms that this was not a cool thing to do, post this letter here. I have the greatest respect for the OP, but I do think he used poor judgment to post that letter here.

If Carnival did not want people to remove tips, they would not have this as an option, it would be automatic. If you believe everybody deserves their tip regardless, then leave it on your S&S and if you don't, make the adjustments you feel are warranted. The notion that these hardworking, wonderful people from third world countries will spit in our food, soil our toothbrushes if we don't tip at the appropriate levels or remove our tips, does not speak highly of them as professionals. I think the more people learn that this list exist and that crew members know who is tipping and who isn't, more people will be offended and perhaps Carnival will take some action, or at least make certain it goes underground, moreso.

You also have to remember there were some on here who claimed such a list did not exist. That surely the employee would not be questioned why someone would be removing their tips. That the employee would not be asked to turn in tips.

I did not see a problem with the "HEADER" part of the email being posted as it did not show any of the peoples names.

There is also another memo that gets sent out to all Dept Heads which shows who are Platinum Guests for that sailing. Is this wrong also as they might be getting better treatment than other guests?

Dave

You also have to remember there were some on here who claimed such a list did not exist. That surely the employee would not be questioned why someone would be removing their tips. That the employee would not be asked to turn in tips.

And this was the exact reason why Fred and I took the picture, nothing more. It's been debated here forever. If we had come back and said, "Hey, we saw a list" who would believe us? If he hadn't posted it, I would've, after taking the names off, of course. No one believes anyone on this site without proof anymore.

People didn't believe it existed. Well, it does, and here's proof. That's all.

Where did this misconception on what tipping is get started.

Those people have a job. That job is to take care of the passengers. I really imagine they are expected to do the best job they are capable of just like I am at my job.

In my job, I am paid a certain wage. I agreed to that.

In their job, they are paid a certain wage plus room and board, They agreed to that.

If they have provided very good service and you want to reward them with extra cash, that is good, but you are NOT paying them to do their job, and you are NOT obligated to give them a single dime.

This is why you tip AFTER good service has been provided if you so wish, not before you see if they provide you good service.

A tip should never be expected for them to do the job they were hired for, are paid for doing, and they agreed to do. A tip should be appreciated if one is given no matter what that amount may be.

What part of it is their job and you are not paying them to do their job but rewarding for a job well done, do you not understand?

So you are basically saying, you would not do the job your were hired for unless you knew they were going to reward you for doing your job before you even did it? I would fire you on the spot.

You are missing part of how their contracts read. It is a very small wage PLUS tips. So if you dont tip, they are not getting their full wage.

Many waiters and waitresses in our country are under the same system. They have a BELOW minimum wage amount, some as low as $2-3. Their wages are made up by the tips the customers pay.

The difference here is that the Cruiselines have decided to collect the tips for them and disburse them. Part of the reason is people not paying the tips, part of it is that some countries tipping is not a normal custom.

Dave

And this was the exact reason why Fred and I took the picture, nothing more. It's been debated here forever. If we had come back and said, "Hey, we saw a list" who would believe us? If he hadn't posted it, I would've, after taking the names off, of course. No one believes anyone on this site without proof anymore.

People didn't believe it existed. Well, it does, and here's proof. That's all.

come on...you really think tangible, physical and photographic proof is good enough for some here?

:p LMAO

Never doubted such a list existed. Now, I would like to see a "deadbeat tipper" list - of those who remove tips from sign and sail, and then don't tip at all- not even at the end of the cruise! And I think that list should be put in a computer somewhere, and when those people sail again - boom - there they are, printed out, so the workers know who the deadbeats are, cruise after cruise, and can serve them appropriately. (spit and all!) Now, that is a list I would love to see!

come on...you really think tangible, physical and photographic proof is good enough for some here?

:p LMAO

The only ones complaining seem to be the ones that could be found on the list.

But I'm glad to finally see the proof. Makes a lot of future posts about adjusting tips easier to answer and will definately be shorter.

Never doubted such a list existed. Now, I would like to see a "deadbeat tipper" list - of those who remove tips from sign and sail, and then don't tip at all- not even at the end of the cruise! And I think that list should be put in a computer somewhere, and when those people sail again - boom - there they are, printed out, so the workers know who the deadbeats are, cruise after cruise, and can serve them appropriately. (spit and all!) Now, that is a list I would love to see!

Right? Think any of these deadbeats only sail once???!!!!

Wow, go for the jugular! Tipping must really piss you off, lighten up.

We have taken the prepaid gratuities off of our S&S in the past and tipped with cash because we thought it was saving the staff member taxes! We won't be doing that anymore because we don't feel like someone who has actually earned some extra cash should have to share it with others that didn't earn it! From now on, the prepaids stay on and the extra cash will be given as warranted to the appropriate staff member.

The one person who never gets a tip as a rule is the Maitre d'. They typically only show up at the table on the last night holding out their hand and that just rubs us the wrong way. Don't get me wrong; when the Maitre d' has actually performed a service for us we tip him above and beyond the suggested amount. Flame away if you must! I have my fire-retardant suit on and will continue to not tip the Maitre d' until someone can truly justify to me why I should!

On our past Princess cruises, we have always met with the Maitre d' upon boarding to arrange for our table. And throughout the cruise they have greeted us in the dinning room, chatted with us and in extreme rare occurrences, cleared up minor problems. On the other hand on board the Jewel last year, I caught a quick glimpse of the Maitre d' as she scurried about the MDR one evening. When I asked to meet with her. I was told that "she had no time" to meet with passengers. That's like being snubbed by your host at a cocktail party.

Archived