Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Brenda, can't say for sure but it is in a better area than The Westshore. It's about 5 or 6 blocks closer to the airport which makes a big difference in the surroundings. I guess for one night it would be okay but it's one of those places where you take your towels to the desk and exchange them for clean ones. Not my favorite thing. some of the hotels don't have their own shuttles but will arrange one for a fee.

When are you staying and what are you paying? I'm paying $89 a night this next week for first class hotel, free parking and free shuttle service each way. Just to give you an idea.

Sallyb - Go here:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/main.adp?formtype=address

For Rocky Point, search on - Courtney Campbell Causeway & Rocky Point Drive.

For Westshore, search on - Westshore Blvd and W Cypress St.

Rocky Point is to the W of the Tampa Intl Airport, about 3 miles. The area is a business district, with hotels, office buildings, and restaurants. Clean, quiet and safe - My office is there.

Westshore Blvd is S of the Tampa Intl Airport, and primarily a business district. Clean and relatively safe area. Two malls. Several restaurants nearby.

FYI - As Tuggers said, the Westhore Hotel was a Best Western. Looks OK from the outside, but I've no idea what's inside. NOTE: Regarding the "gentlemens club" - You could stay at this hotel and not even know that club was up the street. Seriously. It is separated from the hotel property by a large hedge, and a car rental lot. The place isn't a rowdy place, rather low key, and I seldom see anyone outside of the building. If you are at the hotel, you won't even know the club exists. The Double Tree on Cypress would indeed be a better place - my trade organization held a one day conference there in Oct and we liked it a lot.

Ken

Ken, Thanks so much for your help.....as long as we feel safe and its clean we will keep our reservation for the Wingate usf. It's not cheap for our time frame of March 15th. If you know of a better place to stay closer to the dock will you let me know please? Thanks again, Callie

Callie - Try that site that Tuggers mentioned. If you are driving to Tampa, the hotels in the area of State Road 60 (Adamo Drive) and I-75 are a reasonable distance from the port, and an easy drive on SR60 directly to the port. There's a big mall out there, and many good places to eat.

The Marriott Waterside Hotel and the Embassy Suites downtown (convention center) are the closest hotels, but pricey (unless one of the discount web sites finds a deal). The Sheraton Riverwalk (mentioned just above on this thread) would be an option - someone found that with Priceline.com). The zip code for downtown is 33602, if you need it. The Hampton Inn in Ybor is the closest to the hotel that's not in the higher price range (look back on the thread a page or two for discussions about the Ybor Hampton Inn).

Tuggers - We are booked on the Grandeur OTS when it gets to Tampa in 2008 - got a great deal on a mini-suite (or junior suite, whatever they call it). Let us know how it goes. Thanks.

Ken

Tuggers- We are going to be flying into Tampa on January 6th for one night and my friend got a discount online for the Extended Stay deluxe on Westshore Blvd. It was I think about $97. But I don't think it really says that it has a free shuttle or anything........so I wasn't sure? So I was just wondering about other places or ideas...lol

Thanks

Sallyb - Go here:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/main.adp?formtype=address

For Rocky Point, search on - Courtney Campbell Causeway & Rocky Point Drive.

For Westshore, search on - Westshore Blvd and W Cypress St.

Rocky Point is to the W of the Tampa Intl Airport, about 3 miles. The area is a business district, with hotels, office buildings, and restaurants. Clean, quiet and safe - My office is there.

Westshore Blvd is S of the Tampa Intl Airport, and primarily a business district. Clean and relatively safe area. Two malls. Several restaurants nearby.

FYI - As Tuggers said, the Westhore Hotel was a Best Western. Looks OK from the outside, but I've no idea what's inside. NOTE: Regarding the "gentlemens club" - You could stay at this hotel and not even know that club was up the street. Seriously. It is separated from the hotel property by a large hedge, and a car rental lot. The place isn't a rowdy place, rather low key, and I seldom see anyone outside of the building. If you are at the hotel, you won't even know the club exists. The Double Tree on Cypress would indeed be a better place - my trade organization held a one day conference there in Oct and we liked it a lot.

Ken

Ken, Thanks for your reply. Our problem is that we have chosen to fly in on the day of the pirate invasion, so downtown hotels are not available unless you book 2 nites, and the rates are even higher than usual. What a shame, I had hoped to be downtown, but it just doesn't make good sense.:eek:

So I am thinking that since we are arriving at the airport at the height of the invasion, our best bet is to avoid all traffic concerns and stay at the airport, Rocky Point, or Westshore.

sallyb - You are certainly on the right track. I'd stay out there too, without question. Chase Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, and a Double Tree on Rocky Point are options. There's the Double Tree just off of Westshore on W Cypress. Intercontinental at Westshore and Kennedy is nice.

kebboli - Check out the last 3-4 pages of this thread. There is an abundance of information for you in just those pages, as well as what I wrote in the above paragraph.

Ken

We have a 36 hour layover on the way back from Tampa. My wife likes to shop and is looking for somewhere with bargains! So, we are looking for a hotel with shopping nearby, preferably walking distance. Is along the trolley line a good idea? DS is nts about trainsm so we think the Trolly line might be good.

Thanks...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Can anyone comment on the Hampton Inn Rocky Point, have seen a few reveiws of Hampton Inn Ybor City.. but this one has a cruise package special that includes shuttle from airport, free breakfast and shuttle to port plus complimentry wifi internet. all for $169 sounds like a great deal to me. Plus Bahama Breeze is next door and that seems to get good reviews.

Is it a nice place to stay?? what are your experiences here? Any other recommendations?

thanks in advance

I hope it's a good place because I've reserved it for Feb. My only problem is I've responded to Stephanie Hanes, Sales Mgr. twice to say we want the pkg instead of just the rm [@ $159 then] and no confirmation yet. Started back in mid November! Said she could send me a handwritten confirm the 1st time but never recv'd it. Followed up on Dec. 6th but still no response. They have e-mail if she's receiving mine so have no idea what the problem is! I see they're booked up @ this time.

I also asked about times of shuttle runs to the pier so I could sign up for the 1st one. Do you have that info? Did you speak w/an agent there or e-mail? Getting frustrated because I'd like to get this detail off my mind before Christmas & that rush has already started. May have to call the main office where I made my original reservation. [Couldn't get clear info on "government" rate so then called the hotel & still not clear but think we're down for that. Now if you're just getting quote for $10 more, later on, I'm not sure!]

Hope you'll let me know how or who you're talking to! We don't need airport shuttle but the free parking. Didn't even know they had breakfast. Is that buffet or Continental? Thx!

We reserved Hampton Inn Rocky Point for our pre cruise stay. I called the hotel directly to book and got the package with transportation. It seemed like it would cost a bit less than cabs and I like having it all arranged ahead of time. We will be there the end of January.

I did send a note to C/S last night & reply was canned version.."Thank you, blah, blah. We have forwarded this to the hotel and it will be handles in the order it is received." A lot of good that did! Called the hotel tonight & we are in the system but shuttle had not been included. Think it's all set now. Shuttle runs 24/7 but was told they go to the port @ 11:00, 11:30 & 12:00. They don't keep a sign up list until you ck in. "Becky" said she'd make a note that someone may pick up on but plan on calling in again about a wk out. You call when you get in for pick up which should take about 20 min. They don't have an automated e-mail confirm system but mail a copy of the reservation/snail mail. She'll try to e-mail me one also. Lordy I didn't know how efficient the Radisson in P.C. was until this! We want the pkg so we don't have to get the luggage across the street from the parking lot to the pier and not too many I've found have the shuttle. After we see the port area, may know next time to stay in a less expensive hotel & just drive to the port. Never heard of parking across the street! The cost is the same as if we pd $100 + parking. Have seen diff. cost/day on that but think it's $12/day

This will all be worth it when we get on board! Feb. 4th Grandeur. Looks like most here are Carnival ppl. Happy Holidays..NO!...Merry Christmas to all! :D

Any of you Tampa ppl know the current cost of parking @ the pier? Also I read a strange post about the $50 Valet system. He/she said they had to walk across to the garage, got off the elevator & could see their car. No need for a Valet by then. Don't know how it worked arriving for the cruise. My friend was there 2 yrs ago & said the van took them from car to pier and then pier to car for $10. That makes more sense. Any info on that? [After all my hassle w/the hotel I think now we will be spending the night w/snowbird friends since I just found out they're only 1 1/2 hrs away & would dearly love to visit w/them!:D

TIA for info.

Ken, I posted a 'Live From...' thread on Celebrity boards. I described my experience on Grandeur in a JS.

I always stay at Doubletree Westshore. Was just there before Thanksgiving. It was great as always. Shuttle to airport was good, shuttle when I came back to port was great. We had LOTS of luggage. Driver even went and got rope and helped us tie extra bags to my luggage rack! How's that for service?

I paid $99 including tax for the room. Anytime I've tried to book and prices were up I've used buyreservations.com and gotten a good deal.

I think I heard parking was $14 per night at port.

winncove, wait till Monday and try buyreservations.com. That's what I use when they are high. Last year the hotel was $275 over Easter and we paid either $99 or $109 through this company.

I'm in Valdosta, 17 miles north of the Florida line. You are much closer to my friend Terri who posts as TeeDee. She lives in McDonough.

Cracker Ken we are all keeping the bookings for the b2b and also the 10/30/08.:) I don't particularly like the food but that's a plus with my diet!

Thx Gail...[Gail is right?] The last time I tried the "buy.." site it was unavail. Today I got in but it said call for rates..which I think means call them, not the hotel. Hotel site still says $200+. We had to go out of town so couldn't follow up on it yet. They talk/write about a fee. How much is that? Have never read anything about them other than your rec.

Del

I tried to use buyreservations myself over the weekend and the site was having trouble. I don't remember that ever happening before. Anyway. I had emailed them and they emailed me back Monday morning and i set my reservation for a Jax hotel January 1st. There is no 'fee' per say only the rate they quote you. They'll tell you what it is with taxes and that's what they charge. They do seem to have great hotel rates.

In Tampa the Carnival ships dock at a different pier than RCI and X. There is a secure area that cars can't go through so getting on and off the ship is a hassle. Won't be like that on Grandeur. Just tell them you are at Pier 3. When I got off earlier this month there was someone at the hotel who told me just to 'carry your luggage to the parking garage and call us when you get there'! And yes. the parking garage IS across the street! Then I got someone else who realized I was at the X pier and everything was cool. They can drive right up in front of the terminal at Pier 3.

Yes it is Gail.

Hi All!

I signed up for the cruise package for the Hilton Garden Inn at Ybor (called the HH Member number) and they stated that parking and breakfast was included with the shuttle to and from the port. When my wife and I arrived today, we were informed that we could not park for the duration of our cruise (and that the package did not include breakfast). The lady at the desk informed me that they were in the process of changing the policy and that the main Hilton reservation center did not have the updated information. She did honor what was stated by the main Hilton reservation center though (told us to park in the back). Just wanted to give everyone a heads up if they have booked this package.

Hello,

Booked a precruise stay through Priceline for 2 days for our Oct. 2008 cruise. I didn't plan on booking this early, but Priceline gave me bonus money that would be expiring in a less than a week and wanted to take advantage of it. Wanted to be near Busch Gardens without staying in that area. Bid north Tampa and received the Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North on Tampa Oaks Blvd. Tried doing a search and can't find much info on this hotel. Any opinions on this hotel would be appreciated.

We just returned from our cruise with the last two days staying at the Westin Tampa Harbour Island. Had read some reviews that were disappointing. Starwood has their act together since they took over the hotel; it is everything you would want a Westin to be. Classy!

They will pick you up or take you to the ship plus to the airport. Also, wine and cheese in the lobby from 5-7. Great location.