Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

It is very congested. It is a main north south 8 lane road. I would pick aother area to stay. It is strip centers and shops. It is a PITA. There are many nicer areas to stay for not much more money.

Thanks for the info...do you know anything about the Downtown Howard Johnson plaza....how is that area.

Linda

We are going to be staying at the Intercontinental on the 23rd of this month. Has anyone heard anything about it since it has been redone?

Is the location good for pre cruise?

We preferred the Embassy Suites downtown but they are only taking reservations for 2 nights since there is the Pirate Invasion thing going on.

This hotel used to be a Holiday Inn Select before it was remodeled into the current hotel. For info, go here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34678-d85876-Reviews-Howard_Johnson_Plaza_Tampa_Downtown-Tampa_Florida.html

The hotel is on Ashley Drive, and on the NW corner of the downtown business core. There is a bad area across the river 1/4 to 1/2 mile to the W, but I don't think it will pose a problem. You may, however, need a taxi or a car to go do dinner somewhere, unless the hotel restaurant suites you.

Take the reviews at Trip Advisor in context of the date it was posted. The renovations are, or will soon be, completed. Looks like they have a park and sail w/shuttle option.

WARNING - If you plan to leave your car outside in the parking lot at this hotel, be sure to take EVERYTHING out of the car, including your car title and registration. Don't leave hidden keys - nothing. Lock it too. Don't take chances in that area. From what I recall, all parking at this property is outside - no garage with a gate.

Ken

I haven't yet booked my Legend cruise, but plan on doing that within the next few days (sailing 12/14/08).

I have enough hotel points to stay at the HIE Rocky Point. But I'm about 5,000 points shy of having enough for the Intercontinental (30,000 points as compared to 15,000 for HIE).

I'm wondering if the Intercontinental is so much nicer that I should pay for the extra points and stay there instead.

We're only talking about one night pre-cruise.

I normally only "need" someplace clean and relatively comfortable. I don't make hotels vacation destinations; they're just somewhere to sleep, so I don't know whether I should "waste" the money to buy more points and stay at the Intercontinental or just stay at the HIE.

I'd really prefer something closer to the port, but if I can get a room at no or next-to-no charge, that just would give me more to spend on the cruise.

Any thoughts from anyone who has stayed at either of these hotels recently? Is the Intercontinental really worth double the hotel points to just stay there one night pre-cruise?

I also have enough points for the Crown Plaza on Palm Ave. Would that be a good option? I see they have an airport shuttle, but what would the cost be for a cab to the pier? Looks like it would be about 10 miles from the pier. They have a 5 mile shuttle, but it looks like Ybor is just outside that range, so to go there, we'd have to take a cab. Are there places to eat within walking distance? Or nearby that we could use the hotel shuttle?

I have read the vast majority of the thread. Way too much info to absorb! I've gotten an idea of the various areas, but would like some specific info on these hotels.

Thanks!

We just booked two nights (pre-cruise) at the Marriott Westshore. We selected it because of the indoor/outdoor pool, close to shopping mall, and in a safe district. We hope we made the right decision (Gov't rate of $123 per night).

Now, we are wondering where we can buy wine. Any suggestions? Ideally within walking (1 - 2 miles) distance.

linsue1231 -

In the middle of downtown is the Hyatt Regency Hotel.

The Hyatt and Sheraton would require a taxi cab to Ybor or Channelside.

Later,

Ken

Ken - this was the last post I found using the search tool w/info about the Hyatt Regency. I'm going on the Grandeur this Dec and normally take the hotel/cruise option w/RCI (know could find cheaper, but like the convenience of having it all done by RCI - however will weigh other options). So far they have the Hyatt, the Quorum, and some Airport hotel listed as options. As this is my first time leaving from Tampa I would prefer to be 'downtown'. I'm also travelling single. I have a couple of questions for you:

1. During the daytime is it ok to walk around the area?

2. Can you walk to the harbour area (sit and enjoy the view)?

3. How is this hotel (seen some bad reviews of it on TripAdvisor)?

4. Is it easy to get to/from the aquarium from here.

Thanks!

jaspercat -

1. Yes. Downtown Tampa is safe during the day. Busy place.

2. Yes. You could walk a few blocks to the S on Franklin St. and end up at the channel, the Tampa Convention Center, portions of the Riverwalk, etc. From there, you could walk to the E to the Channelside Bay Plaza complex.

3. I haven't stayed there before. I've heard nothing bad about it though. Hyatt has a good reputation in the hotel business. I take those trip advisors with a grain of salt. Consider - how many people stay there per night, versus how many people write something on TripAdvisor? I've seen limo's and such pulling up there a lot. Seems to be a really nice hotel to me.

4. It's a ways to the aquarium, but it's next to the Channelside complex. If you walk to the S. to the base of Franklin St or Florida Avenue, you can find the street car station out front of the Marriott Waterside. It's cheap. You can jump on the street car and take it down to Channelside, the Florida Aquarium, or on down to Ybor City.

If you are in OK shape and have good feet, you should be OK. Needless to say, 1, 2, and 4 become an emphatic NO after dark.

Ken

Hi Ken

So nice to have someone to help out near the ports. Appreicate your

time.

Question... Is there any public transportation out at Rocky Point? Traveling with husband, daughter and granddaughter and arriving day

before cruise. Wanted to know our options for travel to sightsee, dine,

pick up misc items (including liquor store) We are staying at the HIEX

and believe the shuttle is only for airport and port.

Thanks again for your help and if we had a port here in middle NH I

would welcome the opportunity to help others:p

Joyce

NCTribeFan - I covered the Holiday Inn Express at Rocky Point in post #1447 just above your first question. It's not a bad place at all. Right on the water, facing a small bay and the airport on one side, and across the island in the other direction. There are three restaurants within 1/4 to 1/2 mile.

Crowne-Plaza on Princess Palm Drive - Big hotel. I stayed there many years ago (like 17-18 years) when I helped to put on a conference there. Crowne Plaza's tend to have a nice reputation - never stayed in a bad one. The down side, is the location. This is on the corner of an office park out to the E of Tampa. There is a couple of other hotels around, lots of office complexes, and that's about it. Yes - taxi needed for Ybor. Restaurants are located along SR 60 (Adamo Drive) which is an exit S of Martin Luther King Jr Blvd (where the hotel is located). I checked MapQuest, and it's about 3.5 miles from the hotel to the intersection of I-75 and Adamo Drive (SR60) in Brandon. Lots of places to eat within 1 mile either side of that intersection.

Intercontinental Hotel (W Kennedy Blvd) at Westshore Blvd . This was originally built as a Sheraton. Very nice place. It joins an office building. Parking is in a garage. There is a excellent steak house (Shula's) on the premises - expensive. It went from being a Sheraton to a Westin, now Intercontinental, which is the upscale line of the group which includes Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza. Across the street on one corner is a Walgreen's Drug store. On the other corner is a little shopping plaza with a Blimpies Sub Shop, and other stuff. Directly across the street is the Westshore Plaza Mall. There is a food court inside, and outside is a nice Chinese restaurant, Maggianno's Italian (family style), and out at the street is a Steak and Ale Restaurant. You can walk, quite easily and relatively safely, to all of the above. It's all at the intersection of Westshore Blvd and Kenndy Blvd.

Actually - I've covered all three of these in the past, probably several times each - so the above serves as a refresher.

Wentworth - Taxi's are available at Rocky Point. A lot of what you may want to do is not close to Rocky Point. I'd recommend renting a cheap car at the airport when you come in to the airport. On the day of the cruise, turn it in at the airport and take a taxi from there to the port. $50 for a rental car will give you a lot of mobility for the day before the cruise.

Ken

jaspercat -

1. Yes. Downtown Tampa is safe during the day. Busy place.

2. Yes. You could walk a few blocks to the S on Franklin St. and end up at the channel, the Tampa Convention Center, portions of the Riverwalk, etc. From there, you could walk to the E to the Channelside Bay Plaza complex.

3. I haven't stayed there before. I've heard nothing bad about it though. Hyatt has a good reputation in the hotel business. I take those trip advisors with a grain of salt. Consider - how many people stay there per night, versus how many people write something on TripAdvisor? I've seen limo's and such pulling up there a lot. Seems to be a really nice hotel to me.

4. It's a ways to the aquarium, but it's next to the Channelside complex. If you walk to the S. to the base of Franklin St or Florida Avenue, you can find the street car station out front of the Marriott Waterside. It's cheap. You can jump on the street car and take it down to Channelside, the Florida Aquarium, or on down to Ybor City.

If you are in OK shape and have good feet, you should be OK. Needless to say, 1, 2, and 4 become an emphatic NO after dark.

Ken

Thanks Ken for the info. Greatly appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be back with other questions! Forget to mention in my first post -- love your pictures (I had checked out your Tampa ones and lots of others). The Channelside complex looks like a neat place to visit. Will put it on my To Do list. I hear ya about NO after dark -- think that's why I always pick hotels with in-house dining rooms/lounges:) .

If it's Doubletree Westshore they have wonderful shuttle service from/to the airport and the port. Drivers are very, very nice and if you ask they will load up on warm chocolate chip cookies to help with the long (:rolleyes: ) ride!

On my last trip back I was bringing company home from the cruise and with a long cruise and extra people we had much too much luggage for my wagon. The shuttle driver actually went and got nylon rope to tie some of the excess luggage to the luggage rack! (yes, we did look like country comes to town but we got home without renting an extra car!) Of course, he got a VERY nice tip!:)

If it's Doubletree Westshore they have wonderful shuttle service from/to the airport and the port. Drivers are very, very nice and if you ask they will load up on warm chocolate chip cookies to help with the long (:rolleyes: ) ride!

On my last trip back I was bringing company home from the cruise and with a long cruise and extra people we had much too much luggage for my wagon. The shuttle driver actually went and got nylon rope to tie some of the excess luggage to the luggage rack! (yes, we did look like country comes to town but we got home without renting an extra car!) Of course, he got a VERY nice tip!:)

Thanks Tuggers, We stayed at the Double Tree Westshore back in 06 and they had those services. I have been reading so many posts lately that they don't offer the rides to the port any longer. Was your last trip recent?

linsue1231 - You asked that question on post #1451 above (1 page back), and I answered it in post #1453.

Maybe someone who has stayed there will answer too. Additionally, the building has been there man years. I recall going to a conference there in 1980-81. The HoJo's renovation isn't too old though. I didn't realize it until you asked and I drove by and looked.

Ken

bellybutton, I have stayed there probably 10 times in the last two years and never heard this, including on a stay in Sept and Nov/Dec 07. I will call Monday and speak with a manager I know and find out for sure. When I called for the shuttle on Dec 8th they were nice as you please, did not even ask for my name, said they would send the shuttle. It came in 10 minutes and they took me right to my car in the lot. Still never asked for my name or anything.

You can buy it through buyreservations.com and it's a pkg for sure. I do that when rates are high but these last two trips were booked through Hilton. The buyreservations.com is for the room and 2 weeks parking plus shuttles and, right now, it's $129.

bellybutton, I have stayed there probably 10 times in the last two years and never heard this, including on a stay in Sept and Nov/Dec 07. I will call Monday and speak with a manager I know and find out for sure. When I called for the shuttle on Dec 8th they were nice as you please, did not even ask for my name, said they would send the shuttle. It came in 10 minutes and they took me right to my car in the lot. Still never asked for my name or anything.

You can buy it through buyreservations.com and it's a pkg for sure. I do that when rates are high but these last two trips were booked through Hilton. The buyreservations.com is for the room and 2 weeks parking plus shuttles and, right now, it's $129.

Sounds good, I will be watching for your reply!

bellybutton, I have tried to get in touch with the new manager, Robert Penney but have so far only talked to desk clerks and voice mail.

The hotel was sold in October. I was there in November for an overnight stay and left the car. When I returned on December 11th there was no problem getting a shuttle. At no charge. But until I can speak to the new manager I won't say it hasn't changed.

As I previously wrote on here, if you buy through buyreservations.com, you are purchasing a pkg which includes the hotel pre or post cruise, parking and transport. Unless you talk to Mr Penney, I would go that route to be sure. And the price is pretty good with them, just no Hilton points.

Hope this manager comes through and doesn't ignore me. This has been a hotel I have stayed at for the last 5 years and I will hate to stop recommending it! Won't say much good for either his tenure or the new companies if there is no response.