Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Hi folks,

Scared me when I looked for this thread (one of the most valuable on CC) and couldn't find it! At the last second I saw the sticky directing me here.

Anyway, here's my question. We are staying at the Westshore and having our precruise dinner there. It used to be a Durango, but I understand it has become a Green Iguana. Any feedback? We plan on eating around 7:30 on a Friday night, but I suspect we will be before any band starts and hope it won't be too noisy.

Thanks Ken and all the others for this great thread.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

obxer - Yep, that's been asked before, lots of times. I'll be nice and answer - If you are looking for something really nice, it's going to be hard to beat the Marriott Waterside. Great location. Convenient to the street car line (across the street). Close to the cruise terminals. Very nice, large hotel. The President of the USA has stayed there. Classy place. It sits right on the channel, yacht slips out back, places to eat on premises, and it's easy to go down to the Channelside complex, or on down into Ybor City on the street car line. If you really want something special, call the hotel and see if you can manage to set up a room facing in the direction of the cruise terminals (to the East, down the channel). You could get up in the morning, look out the window, and be looking at your ship at dock. I'd say it's very much worth it.

wvufan - I've eaten at the Green Iguana when it was at another hotel on the W side of town. Good food, mainly of the sports bar variety (big burgers, fries, sandwiches, wings, and much more). We used to go there from the office for lunch about once a week. I haven't been to the current location at the Westshore Hotel. This hotel is in the Westshore business district, and any place in that area with a bar can potentially get very busy during and just after happy hour on a Friday night.

I didn't know they made a "sticky" out of this thread. Cool. I'll have to check it out.

Ken

Is there anything within walking distance of the HOJO downtown.. like a liquor store to pick up some spirits or is a cab or shuttle ride needed??;)

I just called the hotel Ms. Kelly, and was told there is a bar about 3 blocks away, that has a package store, called a hub store and they sell bottles. Otherwise this is downtown and its a business area, no shopping for designer clothes for you...lol. :D

Will need to take the shuttle provided, or cab to hit the clubs and or bars in Ybor city or channelside which are two miles away...

Linda

I just called the hotel Ms. Kelly, and was told there is a bar about 3 blocks away, that has a package store, called a hub store and they sell bottles. Otherwise this is downtown and its a business area, no shopping for designer clothes for you...lol. :D

Will need to take the shuttle provided, or cab to hit the clubs and or bars in Ybor city or channelside which are two miles away...

Linda

Well thank you Ms. Linda :p Maybe the shuttle from the airport will stop somewhere to pick up stuff on the way there:D

Well thank you Ms. Linda :p Maybe the shuttle from the airport will stop somewhere to pick up stuff on the way there:D

LOL:p well there is shopping, in that dreaded two mile area...but I am sure if you ask the driver he will stop, and then again he may take you hostage until you reach the hotel...:eek:

I will just say one thing....Jello shotsssssssssss...:rolleyes:

Linda

cat26 - This hotel was refurbished and the name changed from Wyndham to Westin not too long ago. I haven't stayed there, but I've been there and all around the area. Nice hotel and location. It's on an island across the channel from the cruise terminals, known as Harbour Island. It's located where the Hillsborough River meets Tampa Bay. The cruise terminals are about 3/4 a mile a way, if that. The island consist of business and upscale residential areas. It's clean and nice down there. Across the channel (you can easily walk it, short, low bridge) is the Marriott Waterside Hotel, the St. Pete Times Forum, and the Tampa Convention Center. Right by the Marriott Waterside is the street car station. The street car can take you up the road to the E to the Channelside complex for dining and entertainment. There are restaurants in the Marriott too. There's a new Embassy Suites next to the Convention Center. The street car can take you all the way to Ybor City for even more dining and entertainment possibilities. Be sure to check street car schedules to make sure they are operating when you want to return, because they don't run all night long. If you go to my Flickr photo album page and go to the Tampa album, you will find photos of this hotel and the surrounding area.

Ken

I'm bumping this to the top.

Moderator - Could you consider making this thread, and the other really high volume threads like Cape Canaveral "stickies" so folks can find them easy. That way, they could find answers quicker without starting lots of threads about the same thing. Of course, some will still start a new thread for a redundant question because they won't take the time to read.

Ken

Hi, we are needing a hotel room for one night on April 3. We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Dec, and I wanted to stay there again, but the rate is over $400. I only paid $124 taxes included for our Dec stay.

So back to the drawing board. I checked the Marriott Waterside and their rates are expensive as well. I hate to shell out a lot of money as we won't even get out of the airport until after 7pm and we are going to out to dinner, so we won't be in the room that long.

Hotwire shows a 3.5 star downtown hotel for $89 plus tax/fees. This matches up with either the Hyatt or the Sheraton. I am thinking it's the Sheraton as hotwire states that trip advisor gave it a 2.5* rating (Sheraton shows 2.5 at tripadvisor, and the Hyatt shows 3.5 stars) and also, the price shows $89, and save $80. The Sheraton is priced for $169 on Expedia so w/both of these factors I'm leaning towards it being the Sheraton. The photos of the Sheraton on their website look great, but it gets some poor reviews on tripadvisor. Has anyone recently purchased this 3.5* hotel from Hotwire? Better bidding shows no recent wins.

Anyhoo...I also found a Hampton Inn in Ybor/Downtown (says they are 1 mile from channelside). When I go to book, the rate is over $200, but if you scroll on down, it shows a rate of $99 w/the promo "Tampa Lightning" and says for home games only. There isn't a home game there that night, but the website will allow me to reserve the room for that price. So, does anyone know if this is a rate this is available to anyone to use? I don't want to book something and then show up and have them up the price on me.

Thanks for any help you might offer as to which I should book. I'm just stumped since my Plan A went out the window.

I can't answer your question on the rate packages. One thing for sure - If I relied on Trip Advisor ratings to find places to stay, I'd end up sleeping in a car. I think the only people that go there for reviews are people who have been made mad for some reason and decide to trash the places. Sheraton Hotels doesn't operated rat holes. Sheraton and Hyatt downtown are popular hotels. Sheraton is along the Hillsborough River in the downtown core. The Riverwalk and Convention Center is just S of there. You may need a cab to get somewhere for dining.

Ken

I can't answer your question on the rate packages. One thing for sure - If I relied on Trip Advisor ratings to find places to stay, I'd end up sleeping in a car. I think the only people that go there for reviews are people who have been made mad for some reason and decide to trash the places. Sheraton Hotels doesn't operated rat holes. Sheraton and Hyatt downtown are popular hotels. Sheraton is along the Hillsborough River in the downtown core. The Riverwalk and Convention Center is just S of there. You may need a cab to get somewhere for dining.

Ken

Thanks Cracker Ken! That really helps. About the taxi..we are getting lucky there. The girl I am traveling with (CaribbeanTina here at CC) uses a TA who lives in Tampa. She has used her as a TA for years (but have never met personally), and this lady is going to pick us up at the airport. We will then go to dinner and she will drop us at our hotel.

I think I'll just go on and book w/Hotwire, as I don't believe I'll find a better deal for the date I need.

Thank you again; you are such a wealth of knowledge for CC.

I Got the 3.5 star downtown on hotwire for $76 and it was the Sheraton.

What are your dates? I'm kicking myself because I just went to Hotwire to book that 3.5* downtown hotel, and the price has jumped from $89 to $179! Do you think it will go back down? I'm surprised the price went up so much in less than 24hrs.

After doing a little research, I braved it and went for a 3* on Priceline. I won the Sheraton Riverwalk hotel for $79. The price on the Sheraton's website is $189 so I did pretty well. I probably should have bid a bit lower, but I don't think I would have gotten it much cheaper.

Cracker Ken, is something going on the first week of April, or is it just because of spring break? Some of those rates (over $400 for the Embassy Suites for example) are just crazy high. Is there a convention or something?

Cracker Ken, is something going on the first week of April, or is it just because of spring break? Some of those rates (over $400 for the Embassy Suites for example) are just crazy high. Is there a convention or something?

I'm not Cracker Ken, but I can answer your question. There is a huge Italian Festival in Ybor City that weekend, that would explain the high lodging prices. Here's a link in case you have time to check it out while you're in town - it's supposed to be a fantastic event. http://www.festaitalianatampa.com/

We stayed at the Embassy Suites this past weekend and paid nearly $300 with cruise terminal transportation. Great breakfast and we really took advantage of the managers reception.

There's a lot more going on than the Italian Festival. I view that more as a local thing and not a draw that would pack out hotels and run the rates up high.

I imagine what's really causing the problem is the NCAA-Women's Final Four 2008 which will be on April 6 and 8 at the St Pete Times Forum (formerly known as the Ice Palace). That location is a block down the street from the Embassy Suites and Marriott Waterside Hotel downtown. That's enough to pack out Tampa hotels for sure. That location is also just a few blocks from the cruise terminal.

Also in town that weekend is the American Invitational Horse Jumping Championship at Raymond James Statium.

See this page: http://www.tampagov.net/appl_calendars/default.asp?hideFilter=&Event_Type=1-24-3-4-25-28-6-8-9-19-18-11-27-30-31&Month=4&Year=2008&Display_Type=day_data&date=4%2F5%2F2008

Stamptherapy - I hope you get this in time - There's a very nice restaurant at Rocky Point - The Castaways. It overlooks the water. Sunset dining there would be nice. It's not cheap.

Another very nice option would be CK's Restaurant:

http://www.ckstampa.com/

This is a revolving restaurant on top of the Tampa International Airport, and not far from Rocky Point. It's not cheap, and would probably require reservations to be on the safe side.

There's another nice seafood restaurant at Rocky Point, Landry's. It's good, moderate prices, but not what I'd call a romantic dinner like the other two places I listed.

Ken

I did a search of this thread and found where this question has been asked but could not find any answers.

Comfort Inn RJ Stadium?? Is it in a nice, safe area??? Clean????

Also any idea what they charge for the shuttle to the port???

Thanks

Kim

[quote name='MikeNKim']I did a search of this thread and found where this question has been asked but could not find any answers.

Comfort Inn RJ Stadium?? Is it in a nice, safe area??? Clean????

Also any idea what they charge for the shuttle to the port???

Thanks

Kim[/quote]

I would also love to have this information! We have a group of 8 scheduled to stay there 1 night pre and post cruise. We are scheduled to arrive on March 21st.

They have told me the cost to the port is $8 each. There is no return transportation provided after our cruise. All reviews that I have seen seem to be OK -- no major problems. The one concern that I have is that the hotel has outside entry to the rooms so I am very interested in knowing in what type of neighborhood the hotel is located.

If you stay there, please post a review here as soon as you return.;)

The Holiday Inn Express and the Comfort Inn on Dale Mabry are right next to each other. At the same spot is Sam Seltzers Steakhouse, a moderately priced good steakhouse. The area is OK and reasonably clean. Across the big highway is the back side of a huge city park. I don't know what they charge for shuttles, but a taxi would be about $22 (+ or -). Other than these two hotels, the restaurant, and a couple of closeby diners, the area has bunches of car dealerships along Dale Mabry to the N of the Raymond James Stadium. The stadium, and Legends Field (spring training for the NY Yankees) is just to the South.

If I had to select between the Holiday Inn Express and the Comfort Inn, it would be the Holiday Inn Express, without a doubt. It's relatively new. The Comfort Inn is a remodeled older motel that has outside entry, no inside halls, so not as safe. That's what I can see from driving through the area.

Here's what some folks say on Trip Advisor:

[URL]http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34678-d87700-Reviews-Comfort_Inn_Airport_at_RJ_Stadium-Tampa_Florida.html[/URL]

I don't usually pay much attention to Trip Advisor entries, but these might be worth reading.

Ken