Luggage on Princess Rail cars - Alaska

jmhlaw

This is my first cruise tour in Alaska. I'm wondering how to deal with carry-on luggage on the train. In my Princess brochure it says that carry on luggage should not exceed 4 inches in width on the Princess Rail cars. It also says pack everything you need for that day because you might not get your luggage immediately after arrival. Is this really all of the room there is? What kind of carry on bag is that small and how am I supposed to fit everything for that day in to it?

This is my first cruise tour in Alaska. I'm wondering how to deal with carry-on luggage on the train. In my Princess brochure it says that carry on luggage should not exceed 4 inches in width on the Princess Rail cars. It also says pack everything you need for that day because you might not get your luggage immediately after arrival. Is this really all of the room there is? What kind of carry on bag is that small and how am I supposed to fit everything for that day in to it?

We did a Princess Alaska Cruisetour last year.

The only carry on room is under your seat. All other luggage has to be outside your room very early in the morning.

It's very casual... If you wear jeans on the train you can just eat dinner in them...

We carried on a VERY small duffel bag with our morning needs and stuffed it under the seat.

Space is very limited, and as the other poster said you'll only have whatever space is left on your seat and under your seat as storage. We brought a small backpack, and that worked fine. Our tablemates brought a bag that was really too large and had the heck of a time getting it part way under their seat. It stuck out and took up a lot of their foot space. Not good. It's best to plan on wearing whatever clothes you're in until you meet up with the rest of your luggage. Doubt if you'll have room to take a change of clothes.

Space is very limited, and as the other poster said you'll only have whatever space is left on your seat and under your seat as storage. We brought a small backpack, and that worked fine. Our tablemates brought a bag that was really too large and had the heck of a time getting it part way under their seat. It stuck out and took up a lot of their foot space. Not good. It's best to plan on wearing whatever clothes you're in until you meet up with the rest of your luggage. Doubt if you'll have room to take a change of clothes.

OK, so please tell me about the seat. Are we talking about the size of a restaurant booth or smaller? I carry a large purse; really large. Holds quite a bit. Will this do?

OK, so please tell me about the seat. Are we talking about the size of a restaurant booth or smaller? I carry a large purse; really large. Holds quite a bit. Will this do?

Good question. I'd say they're the size of a small restaurant booth. The type of booth that's designed to seat four, not like some you see that will seat 6 or even eight. My guess, based on best remembrance, is that your bench seat is probably somewhat less than a row of 3 seats on a typical airplane. Two normal sized people (and even two people where one's pretty fluffy like me) will have plenty of room on the seat. It's likely your really large purse can sit with you on the seat. And it should for sure fit under the seat. My backpack has a hard bottom on it that's 9 inches high, and that wasn't a problem. If you can squish your purse around to be no taller than that, then you won't have a problem either.

Good question. I'd say they're the size of a small restaurant booth. The type of booth that's designed to seat four, not like some you see that will seat 6 or even eight. My guess, based on best remembrance, is that your bench seat is probably somewhat less than a row of 3 seats on a typical airplane. Two normal sized people (and even two people where one's pretty fluffy like me) will have plenty of room on the seat. It's likely your really large purse can sit with you on the seat. And it should for sure fit under the seat. My backpack has a hard bottom on it that's 9 inches high, and that wasn't a problem. If you can squish your purse around to be no taller than that, then you won't have a problem either.

Thanks a lot. We will do fine with the typical booth type seat, even though one of us (not me) is "fluffier" (I love it :D) than the other. My husband will just have to find a smaller backpack than his usual LL Bean biggie.

Thanks a lot. We will do fine with the typical booth type seat, even though one of us (not me) is "fluffier" (I love it :D) than the other. My husband will just have to find a smaller backpack than his usual LL Bean biggie.

You must be planning an Alaska cruisetour? If so, you're going to love it. We've only done it once, but it's my all time favorite vacation. :)

You must be planning an Alaska cruisetour? If so, you're going to love it. We've only done it once, but it's my all time favorite vacation. :)

We're doing the Coral; September 6th, starting in Fairbanks. 8 night tour; 4 lodges and then embarking the ship in Whittier on Sept. 14th. We've been to Alaska twice, but my husband always wanted to do the "trekking" part and now he will. Brrrrrrrrrrr..........

On our Alaska cruistour our luggage was always at our room when we arrived at each lodge, we never had to wait for it. All we carried with us was a small backpack. Just be sure you have your cameras with you because you can take some great pics from the train. And as others have said everything is very casual, so whatever you wear on the train is fine for the remainder of the day. You will have a wonderful experience.

Sandy

On our Alaska cruistour our luggage was always at our room when we arrived at each lodge, we never had to wait for it. All we carried with us was a small backpack. Just be sure you have your cameras with you because you can take some great pics from the train. And as others have said everything is very casual, so whatever you wear on the train is fine for the remainder of the day. You will have a wonderful experience.

Sandy

Casual is my first/middle name. I could/do live in jeans, so this is the perfect setting for me. :)

My husband had a large backpack for all his camera equipment, and I had a medium backpack for all our other junk. We stuffed them under the seat, and both fit fine. Don't worry! You'll have a WONDERFUL TIME! We went last year, and WISH it had been this year, the prices have really dropped! Good for you.

Please help had anyone had this room on the Diamond Emerald deck E731? It looks like the balcony is larger i know it's covered.

It's for our Alaska family 2010 vacation.;)

Thanks for any help you can give me:)

Betty

your pictures are amazing! maybe we'll just show your pics when we get back. we'll be sailing 2nd wk., in july on the Cnoral. What kind of camera and what lense did you use?

A lot of your pics look like they were taken from the back of the ship. Is that correct?

What did you do at the Princess Mt. Mckinley? I hear it is pretty isolated?

Thanks for the tips.

your pictures are amazing! maybe we'll just show your pics when we get back. we'll be sailing 2nd wk., in july on the Cnoral. What kind of camera and what lense did you use?

A lot of your pics look like they were taken from the back of the ship. Is that correct?

What did you do at the Princess Mt. Mckinley? I hear it is pretty isolated?

Thanks for the tips.

The camera was a Panasonic DMC-TZ3. It's just a pocket point and shoot camera but it has a 10x (28-280mm) zoom on it. Also it has image stabilization (to help with blurry pics) and that seems to work well. I bought it just for the Alaska trip (because of the zoom) and have been very pleased with it. I think there is a new model (TZ5 or TZ7 maybe).

We had an aft balcony cabin (which we loved) so many of the pics were taken from there.

We were only at the Mt McKinley lodge one night. So other than eating, sleeping and enjoying the wonderful view of Denali we didn't do much...

Enjoy your cruise!!

I did this last summer and never had to wait for my luggage at the lodges. It was there before we arrived waiting at the room. I couldn't believe how well Princess organized the whole process. It really is pretty smooth.

Have a great trip.

Archived