No More Courtesy Price Reduction

lsp

I paid the final payment on our Alaska Spirit cruise on Monday, we leave on 7/15. I checked the Carnival website today and our price is now $1000.00 cheaper. I called and was told the will upgrade me to a higher level but that means nothing, we are in a balcony now and happy with our spot. They told me they stopped giving credits 2 months ago and there is nothing that can be done. So now I am on hold, waiting for a supervisor to probably be told the same thing. This sucks.

Linda

Effective 12/1/08, Carnival no longer matches price drops after final payment due date, unless you are booked under Early Saver rates.

I'm just upset that they drop the price the minute the final payment is made. Just not right. But, what can you do, that's life. I'm not going to let it ruin my life or my cruise though.

Still on hold. Quiet day at work.

That is why they wait till the final payment date to lower the prices!!!! You can guarantee that they will be lower after that date.

I just was also offered an upgrade after the 3rd and 4th person rate went down $80 each for a June Valor cruise, but we have 2 rooms and it only applied to one, so we didn't take advantage of it! Would've liked an OBC though!

I paid the final payment on our Alaska Spirit cruise on Monday, we leave on 7/15. I checked the Carnival website today and our price is now $1000.00 cheaper. I called and was told the will upgrade me to a higher level but that means nothing, we are in a balcony now and happy with our spot. They told me they stopped giving credits 2 months ago and there is nothing that can be done. So now I am on hold, waiting for a supervisor to probably be told the same thing. This sucks.

Linda

Maybe you will get a supervisor that is kind....and will offer you something more than you were already told, but don't count on it !

Lower rates found AFTER final payment and the cruiseline offering OBC for the difference in rates CEASED in Dec. 2008 and was well publicized. Then along came the "Early Saver Rate" and it's restrictions and cancellation fees...but the positive is that you could get your OBC for rate reductions up to 2 days before sailing date !

That being said..... in some cases, the cruiseline will UPGRADE passengers to offset those lower rates found for those not booked under the Early Saver Rate.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

I had the same person come back and tell me that there is no supervisor and another agent will tell me the same thing and that I am not getting anything back on it. I politely told her I understand because she has told me the same thing about 5 times, every time I ask to speak to someone else. I may be 50 but I do understand things and all I want to do is speak to someone else. I guess you get penalized for early booking. We booked this cruise last September. They didn't have early saver or any of that back then. I just want to ask what benefit do loyal customers get for booking early.

I had the same person come back and tell me that there is no supervisor and another agent will tell me the same thing and that I am not getting anything back on it. I politely told her I understand because she has told me the same thing about 5 times, every time I ask to speak to someone else. I may be 50 but I do understand things and all I want to do is speak to someone else. I guess you get penalized for early booking. We booked this cruise last September. They didn't have early saver or any of that back then. I just want to ask what benefit do loyal customers get for booking early.

You get your choice of cabin. You said so yourself, you like your location and don't want to be moved. Booking late, you wouldn't necessarily get what you wanted.

I hate to say it, but I don't think you are going to get anything other than the offer of an upgrade. There have been many posts where people have tried to get the OBC they used to get, but since the December 1 change, they haven't been successful.

I know that when you booked in September, you had your choice of cabins and that early saver wasn't available. I don't know though, when it became available in January, if you could have, should have, changed to that rate. I don't know when in Jan that early saver came about.

The advantage to booking early in your case was getting the best cabin available at the time. Perhaps you wouldn't have gotten the good cabin if you had waited. I personally, think it's good that Carnival is offering upgrades to those who can no longer get the OBC, but you don't want that.

We have two cruises booked on Early Saver and feel that should we have to change them, it would be worth the $50 to make the change as the booking price was at least $150 per person less than the next lowest rate.

Enjoy!

wow, that's news to me. I always felt very secure booking on carnival that I wouldn't get ripped off by a decreased price!

We are usually pretty flexible, so I think we definitely will stop booking in advance. I think this may bite them in the butt, though, because in these economic times if people hold out for fear of a better deal, Carnival and others may find their ships sailing not quite full. But I do understand their business decision. Airlines do not guarantee prices either.

wow, that's news to me. I always felt very secure booking on carnival that I wouldn't get ripped off by a decreased price!

We are usually pretty flexible, so I think we definitely will stop booking in advance. I think this may bite them in the butt, though, because in these economic times if people hold out for fear of a better deal, Carnival and others may find their ships sailing not quite full. But I do understand their business decision. Airlines do not guarantee prices either.

Nah just book early saver.. if you know for sure youa re going on that date (no cancellations) and you aren't changing names on the room you have nothing to worry about.. You get your price drops up until 2 days beforehand.. I see no "biting them in the butt"

Linda

This was a widely published change made in early December, 2008. shortly thereafter Carnival introduced the Early Saver to appease those who want price adjustments up to (2 days before) sailing. All 500 supervisors will give you the same answer on this one. ken

Well, Early Saver didn't exist then. We just "assumed" that if the price dropped we would be credited. And now I was told by Carnival that it is my fault because I did not ask if the price had dropped. I only told them I wanted to make my final payment. It's not their responsibility to notify customers about the drop. I agree it's my fault, I assumed Carnival was still the good old company they used to be, but they are not. I don't want another cabin, if I did I could be upgraded to a suite on the other side of the boat. Just what happened to good customer service. How much would it have cost them to say, I am so sorry, how about a gift certificate for a drink or a picture?

I like Carnival, but their policies are really starting to suck. They should send out a disclosure, "We will no longer notify you when you call in that there has been a price drop because you were stupid enough to book early. We don't care about loyalty either so have a fun trip".

I'm just upset that they drop the price the minute the final payment is made. Just not right. But, what can you do, that's life. I'm not going to let it ruin my life or my cruise though.

Still on hold. Quiet day at work.

They do that because some people dont make the final payment so their resi is canceled and those cabins become available (usually less than 30 or 60 days before sailing) So there are some good deals and primo cabins to be snached up. Does it suck>yes...

Sometimes a good TA can get you some OBC or make something else 'nice' happen when this happens to you...but sometimes you are just SOL.

It happens...(its no fair, but you know what they say)

Good Luck

I dont think they are ripping anyone off. If you booke early, you book at a price that you think is fair, I would guess. And you get your choice of Cabins.

I doubt they will sail 'not full' they can always drop the price just prior to sailing for those who can travel w/o much notice. People are still going to cruise.

BTW, I have *never* had a price drop no matter how early or late I have booked (and I have booked as early as 19 months in advance and as late as 29 days ahead) Oh well, I book when I find a price/cabin I like.

:)

I like Carnival, but their policies are really starting to suck. They should send out a disclosure, "We will no longer notify you when you call in that there has been a price drop because you were stupid enough to book early. We don't care about loyalty either so have a fun trip".

I understand you want 'something'-> (take the suite--I would) ;)

(I know I am not the only one who does this) I am always checking to see if there is a price drop (there hasnt been) But I check all the time.

I dont think its their responsibility to inform us. Other wise they should just book all the cruises at (what?) say--> $199 pp so everyone could pay the same rate...

come on.

Southwest Airlines will honor price drops by the issuance of a future flight credit that is good for one year.

For future reference there is a possible way arround your situation but you have to be willing to risk the current cabin assignment. The day before final payment is due cancel and rebook the cruise if the price is still the same. At this point you will have 48 hours to take advantage of their 110% guarantee. So if they then lowerthe price the day after final payment is due you can get a price adjustment. I did this once and it worked.

Well, Early Saver didn't exist then. We just "assumed" that if the price dropped we would be credited. And now I was told by Carnival that it is my fault because I did not ask if the price had dropped. I only told them I wanted to make my final payment. It's not their responsibility to notify customers about the drop. I agree it's my fault, I assumed Carnival was still the good old company they used to be, but they are not. I don't want another cabin, if I did I could be upgraded to a suite on the other side of the boat. Just what happened to good customer service. How much would it have cost them to say, I am so sorry, how about a gift certificate for a drink or a picture?

It's NEVER been Carnival's POLICY to inform customers of Price Drops. It's also not ever a Written POLICY that they grant price drops (for other than Early Saver) - it's an unwritten policy that they follow if you take the time to monitor your fare and take the time to call in and request a Price Adjustment. I don't see any "Loyalty" issue here and I don't see any "Policy issue here.

"I just want to ask what benefit do loyal customers get for booking early." You have a trade-off to choose: Book Early (and with some selectivity for the best deal across several sailings & Promos) to get the best cabin location and best price at that time (with possibility of fare drops until Final Payment" -OR- wait to the last minute (after final Payment Deadline) for Great Last Minute Deals but possible sold-out cruise or possible crappy cabin locations. You chose the former. It's not a Loyalty issue.

ken

We have a booking for August and the Final payment date is coming up soon. Currently the rates are about $200 more than what I paid.

I am considering to take a gamble and cancel our current booking and wait for a price drop that seems likely based on what I have been reading here on CC.

When I do a fake booking, there seems to be a lot of cabins still available.

What do you guys think? :confused:

We have a booking for August and the Final payment date is coming up soon. Currently the rates are about $200 more than what I paid.

I am considering to take a gamble and cancel our current booking and wait for a price drop that seems likely based on what I have been reading here on CC.

As long as you realize that the stateroom you currently have may not be available when you attempt this.....it's your call. But since the current rates are HIGHER than what you paid originally... you really are making a gamble and are either a good gambler or a high risk taker !

I would leave it alone.

I wouldn't risk it. Labor Day is late this year and many schools don't start until after Labor Day allowing people to take late summer vacations with kids.

Prices have been all over the place this year, but have remained pretty stable for mid-June through August.

For future reference there is a possible way arround your situation but you have to be willing to risk the current cabin assignment. The day before final payment is due cancel and rebook the cruise if the price is still the same. At this point you will have 48 hours to take advantage of their 110% guarantee. So if they then lowerthe price the day after final payment is due you can get a price adjustment. I did this once and it worked.

I think this person has already made the final payment.

the OP is now past Final Payment deadline and pretty much SOL! Plus the fact that the real discounts generally come well after the Final Payment deadline, more like 30 or so days out. ken

Archived